The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Speaking of Axl being incomprehensible, it strikes me as an 'Axl thought' to in fact plan a trilogy of albums to be released after his death, one album every Halloween or whatever, lol.

With NuGuns material sitting there and Duff and Slash back one option would be for Axl to release his NuGuns tracks as solo material. This would, in theory, remove the burden of needing to match Guns success/perfection with it. He can release a track or two whenever SMKC and Duff are doing their own thing. Hopefully some new Guns releases with Slash and Duff too, of course.

I think in his mind the vault is Guns N' Roses material and it wouldn't make sense to him to release it as a solo effort. But this is purely speculation on my part.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Speaking of Axl being incomprehensible, it strikes me as an 'Axl thought' to in fact plan a trilogy of albums to be released after his death, one album every Halloween or whatever, lol.

With NuGuns material sitting there and Duff and Slash back one option would be for Axl to release his NuGuns tracks as solo material. This would, in theory, remove the burden of needing to match Guns success/perfection with it. He can release a track or two whenever SMKC and Duff are doing their own thing. Hopefully some new Guns releases with Slash and Duff too, of course.

I like that idea, but the problem is that I think Axl still sees the vault songs in his head as “Guns n Roses material.” Releasing it as solo stuff would be the logical thing to do, but this is Axl we’re talking about, so Logic is out the window.

im starting to agree with some others here that he and TB are probably waiting until he’s aged to the point of being physically incapable of touring before releasing this stuff. If that’s the case, it’d be sad cause we’d never get to hear stuff like Atlas live.

EDIT: @SoulMonster great minds think alike, I see!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like that idea, but the problem is that I think Axl still sees the vault songs in his head as “Guns n Roses material.” Releasing it as solo stuff would be the logical thing to do, but this is Axl we’re talking about, so Logic is out the window.

im starting to agree with some others here that he and TB are probably waiting until he’s aged to the point of being physically incapable of touring before releasing this stuff. If that’s the case, it’d be sad cause we’d never get to hear stuff like Atlas live.

EDIT: @SoulMonster great minds think alike, I see!

Im sure that you and @SoulMonster are right that Axl has perceived the material as Guns material. I guess I feel like Axl is evolving in some ways, such as seeming more relaxed. So in that sense maybe he'd be ready and willing to change his perspective. Id admit that is less than likely though.

Yeah, to the extent that TB has Axls ear to help steer the ship. Especially on topics he seems sensitive about like releasing new music Im sure he sees TBs counsel as being personal rather than professional. I think that blurred line can cause problems for Axl. However, I do think that Axl would release music if he decided he wanted to and would be in charge of TB to make that happen. Hard to know how the power dynamics work as an outsider, I guess.

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

I love how we talk about this vault like it’s this mythological object that’s under lock and key. We’re talking about a few hard drives and DAT tapes here that’s probably backed up on some server. 

Anyways, I’m sure there is a ton of stuff we haven’t heard that’s in various forms of completion. I find the posthumous talk is a bit too much. I don’t feel things are that dire. Nor should it be the focal point of discussion. 

They probably have stuff that can be ready for release in short order. Whether that’s a single, ep length, or album is another thing. It seems like they don’t want to release it for the sake of releasing something. It feels that there needs to be a purpose behind it and for it be worth their time/energy to let go (the same can be said for UMG). It takes two to tangle there. 

The focus for this band is obviously currently cashing in on touring revenue. It won’t last forever. We’ll see once things dwindle, how these guys look at the long term function of the band. If they release anything, it will be most likely that it’s time for them to do so strategically to set something up. Whether that’s a tour, to fulfill record contracts, try and get synch deals or other endeavors. 

Hearing new material is not lost. The thought of GNR and new material being some cultural revolution in music has most likely passed. The more those expectations dwindle, the more the reality of the situation reveals itself. 

To be fair, Lars Ulrich has a literal vault which looks like a small warehouse!

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree

I don't think Fernando/TB is going to have sole possession of the vault though. I think Slash and Duff may also have a say in what happens to the contents.

What about Axl's siblings? Woudn't be more plausible if in his will most things are left for them? And even if he doesn't have his siblings on his will, neither their children and his siblings aren't alive anymore.

Even with a will with everything left to TB, woudn't the children have some chance to legally fight for some of it?

Edited by Rickodez
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rickodez said:

What about Axl's siblings? Woudn't be more plausible if in his will most things are left for them? And even if he doesn't have his siblings on his will, neither their children and his siblings aren't alive anymore.

Even with a will with everything left to TB, woudn't the children have some chance to legally fight for some of it?

This, the people always talk as if Axl don't have his own family.... weird

• Thanks 1

I think it would surprise many of us just how much veto power Axl VERY LIKELY still has over Slash & Duff even now.

I have to think, just based on the way those two operate, that new music would be of the highest priority at this point, and that an album would have perhaps already materialized if they were truly steering the ship.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I think it would surprise many of us just how much veto power Axl VERY LIKELY still has over Slash & Duff even now.

I have to think, just based on the way those two operate, that new music would be of the highest priority at this point, and that an album would have perhaps already materialized if they were truly steering the ship.

While it’s possible that Axl still has “power” within the partnership, he’s still beholden to UMG to release music. It takes multiple parties to decide what to do. None of us know enough of the details to start pointing fingers 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I can't see any circumstance in which Axl's siblings children could have any rights to his belongings, if that is what is being referred to. That makes no sense unless he named them in his will.

Yeah. None of us know these people personally, so we can’t say for sure, but if I had to make an educated guess, I’d say he’s most likely to name TB’s descendants in his will as the heirs to everything he has.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If Axl doesn't want something to be released I just suppose he will destroy it before he dies so someone doesn't release it posthumously against his will. Just imagine that, Axl burning the vault because he is not happy with it and don't want it out. He erased an early version of This I Love, didn't he? Maybe the vault is already gone.

Damn! that'd be so Axl like. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Damn, we need something new to talk about. Like leaks, for example. 

Something new needs to leak first before we can talk about it tho lol.

We could always just talk about the village leaks over and over from now until we’re dead (assuming nothing will leak or be released ever again). There was a lot of stuff there! I compiled it all into four albums for myself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If Axl doesn't want something to be released I just suppose he will destroy it before he dies so someone doesn't release it posthumously against his will. Just imagine that, Axl burning the vault because he is not happy with it and don't want it out. He erased an early version of This I Love, didn't he? Maybe the vault is already gone.

Oh God imagine if he has destroyed hundreds of songs. He must have written shit loads over the years. The bugger. 

6 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

I love how we talk about this vault like it’s this mythological object that’s under lock and key. We’re talking about a few hard drives and DAT tapes here that’s probably backed up on some server. 

Anyways, I’m sure there is a ton of stuff we haven’t heard that’s in various forms of completion. I find the posthumous talk is a bit too much. I don’t feel things are that dire. Nor should it be the focal point of discussion. 

They probably have stuff that can be ready for release in short order. Whether that’s a single, ep length, or album is another thing. It seems like they don’t want to release it for the sake of releasing something. It feels that there needs to be a purpose behind it and for it be worth their time/energy to let go (the same can be said for UMG). It takes two to tangle there. 

The focus for this band is obviously currently cashing in on touring revenue. It won’t last forever. We’ll see once things dwindle, how these guys look at the long term function of the band. If they release anything, it will be most likely that it’s time for them to do so strategically to set something up. Whether that’s a tour, to fulfill record contracts, try and get synch deals or other endeavors. 

Hearing new material is not lost. The thought of GNR and new material being some cultural revolution in music has most likely passed. The more those expectations dwindle, the more the reality of the situation reveals itself. 

Agree...

3 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

But Slash says they’ve no clue how to release music. Translates to....Axl is being hard work again and ain’t gonna release shit

Could Slash also be trying to say there that the label is trying to force the band to actually PROMOTE the album (full band interviews and press conferences, full band photo shoots, music videos, etc.), and that’s simply just something that the band doesn’t wanna do?

Do labels have control over that kinda stuff anyway? Idk, I’m just speculating.

• Like 1

The thing is, these days GNR are likely to be able to tour indefinitely, selling well at arena level for the rest of their working lives. Whether we like it or not, this is the case. The back catalogue as it is now means they will be able to milk the brand for many years to come. I don't agree with the view that eventually they will 'need' new music. Perhaps to sell stadiums and keep the hardcore fans happy but the majority of fans going to gigs are not hardcore... they are mainstream rock fans wanting to see GNR.

Really hope i am wrong but i just don't think the incentives are there to release new music. 

As a hardcore fan, ill be seeing them this year in London but can't see a reason to travel again unless they come really close to home. I'm happy to close that chapter of religiously following the band home and abroad. It's been awesome, but time to call it a day i think, new album or not! 

When i started viewing this board in 2003 i didn't even know that GNR still existed in any form!!! Was a huge GNR fan in the 90s but too young to go to gigs. Can still recall viewing the VMAS and hearing madagascar for the first time via some dodgy download. At that time i genuinely didn't think i'd ever see AXL live, never mind a reunion. Chinese Democracy was a myth! Always worth remembering how far things have come people. 

Edited by bangit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bangit said:

The thing is, these days GNR are likely to be able to tour indefinitely, selling well at arena level for the rest of their working lives. Whether we like it or not, this is the case. The back catalogue as it is now means they will be able to milk the brand for many years to come. I don't agree with the view that eventually they will 'need' new music. Perhaps to sell stadiums and keep the hardcore fans happy but the majority of fans going to gigs are not hardcore... they are mainstream rock fans wanting to see GNR.

Really hope i am wrong but i just don't think the incentives are there to release new music. 

As a hardcore fan, ill be seeing them this year in London but can't see a reason to travel again unless they come really close to home. I'm happy to close that chapter of religiously following the band home and abroad. It's been awesome, but time to call it a day i think, new album or not! 

When i started viewing this board in 2003 i didn't even know that GNR still existed in any form!!! Was a huge GNR fan in the 90s but too young to go to gigs. Can still recall viewing the VMAS and hearing madagascar for the first time via some dodgy download. At that time i genuinely didn't think i'd ever see AXL live, never mind a reunion. Chinese Democracy was a myth! Always worth remembering how far things have come people. 

Yeah, that’s true. No matter how bad things may seem at times, we’re still in a better place now than we were when literally NOTHING was going on, like in 1995-1998, or 2003-2005.

I don't want any new GNR music after Axl's death, because it wouldn't be what Axl wanted, it would just be a move from Fernando to make even more money. If Axl wants to release something, then he'll do it, if he doesn't (for whatever reason) people should respect that. 

So I'd be happier with Axl burning down the vault before his death than with the Lebeis clan living off Axl's work for the next couple of generations