John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’m so happy! I’m crying!!

EDIT: on the other hand I’m sad. I like josh too. I wish they were both in the band (like in 2007).

The albums with Josh didn't have enough "balls" if that even makes sense, although Victorian machinery was great.

5 minutes ago, Mr MacPhisto said:

The albums with Josh didn't have enough "balls" if that even makes sense, although Victorian machinery was great.

I agree, but I liked seeing Josh on stage. Idk, he just seemed really happy to be there, if that makes. I got to see him with the band in 2017, so at least there’s that. Only bummer is that I was gonna take my parents to the show, cause they’re also fans of the Josh era of RHCP, but they couldn’t make it, and didn’t get a chance to see them since. Oh well. I’m sure they’d still be down to see the reunited classic lineup now too tho.

• Like 1

Hm... excited about Frusciante's return, and I knew he would come back eventually, but I am surprised Klinghoffer is leaving because he seemed to be very dedicated to the band.

I hope they didn't force him to leave with Frusciante wanting to be back in the band. I like the two records they did with Klinghoffer, even if he was no Frusciante.

Frusciante refused to play any Navarro songs when he came back the first time, I wonder if he wants to play any songs from the two records they made with Klinghoffer.

Edited by EvanG

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Hm... excited about Frusciante's return, and I knew he would come back eventually, but I am surprised Klinghoffer is leaving because he seemed to be very dedicated to the band.

I hope they didn't force him to leave with Frusciante wanting to be back in the band. I like the two records they did with Klinghoffer, even if he was no Frusciante.

Frusciante refused to play any Navarro songs when he came back the first time, I wonder if he wants to play any songs from the two records they made with Klinghoffer.

Yeah I hope there is no sour taste with Josh,but they are at their best with John. Last 2 albums were ok,but just ok. John takes them to the next level.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Frusciante has said that his issue with the Navarro album is that it was made during a time when he was basically an inch away from death, so it reminds him of that timeframe. Also, he feels the band just made it to satisfy the label cause it had already been four years since Blood Sugar came out, so the label undoubtedly was getting antsy. Flea also said the rest of the band “no longer felt emotionally attached” to the Navarro songs once he left (it was a messy breakup).

what that all means for the Klinghoffer songs? Hard to say. Depends on how messy this breakup with Klinghoffer was, and also how Frusciante feels about all of those songs. My gut is telling me tho that he’d be down to at least play the major singles from that era (Raindance Maggie, Look Around, Dark Necessities, Go Robot, Etc.). They don’t need to, tho. The songs from Frusciante’s own era are strong enough to fill up a full set, and like 99% of the audience that’ll go to the new shows will just wanna hear the classics anyways (gee that sounds familiar).

Edited by rocknroll41

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Frusciante has said that his issue with the Navarro album is that it was made during a time when he was basically an inch away from death, so it reminds him of that timeframe. Also, he feels the band just made it to satisfy the label cause it had already been four years since Blood Sugar came out, so the label undoubtedly was getting antsy. Flea also said the rest of the band “no longer felt emotionally attached” to the Navarro songs once he left (it was a messy breakup).

what that all means for the Klinghoffer songs? Hard to say. Depends on how messy this breakup with Klinghoffer was, and also how Frusciante feels about all of those songs. My gut is telling me tho that he’d be down to at least play the major singles from that era (Raindance Maggie, Look Around, Dark Necessities, Go Robot, Etc.) 

I think he once said it was like seeing your girlfriend with someone else and even though he liked Navarro, he felt it wasn't a right fit. He might have felt the same way about Josh because the two of them used to be best friends and when Josh joined the band their relationship more or less ended, at least that's what you can make out of interviews with Josh where they ask him about John. At least Josh was up for playing songs from One Hot Minute. They had a couple of hits with the last two records, especially the last one, I can't imagine them not playing any of them. They could afford not playing any One Hot Minute songs at the time because there weren't that many hit songs on it anyway.

I know Josh just released his first solo record, but I think I've read interviews where he talked about another RHCP record, so I hope they didn't kick him out or anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think he once said it was like seeing your girlfriend with someone else and even though he liked Navarro, he felt it wasn't a right fit. He might have felt the same way about Josh because the two of them used to be best friends and when Josh joined the band their relationship more or less ended, at least that's what you can make out of interviews with Josh where they ask him about John. At least Josh was up for playing songs from One Hot Minute. They had a couple of hits with the last two records, especially the last one, I can't imagine them not playing any of them. They could afford not playing any One Hot Minute songs at the time because there weren't that many hit songs on it anyway.

I know Josh just released his first solo record, but I think I've read interviews where he talked about another RHCP record, so I hope they didn't kick him out or anything.

Yeah those are good points. Forgot that Klinghoffer said his relationship with Frusciante ended after he took his place. That being said, I feel like the band still has to AT LEAST play the song Dark Necessities live, if nothing else.

You know what’s funny? Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of the day Frusciante announced to the world that his was leaving. I remember that day like it was yesterday... Fuck, I’m getting old!

Btw, for anyone thinking the band’s social media accounts got hacked and this is a hoax; both Warner Music Group and Hillel Slovak’s brother have now confirmed this to all be real! Frusciante really is back in the band!!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah those are good points. Forgot that Klinghoffer said his relationship with Frusciante ended after he took his place. That being said, I feel like the band still has to AT LEAST play the song Dark Necessities live, if nothing else.

You know what’s funny? Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of the day Frusciante announced to the world that his was leaving. I remember that day like it was yesterday... Fuck, I’m getting old!

Btw, for anyone thinking the band’s social media accounts got hacked and this is a hoax; both Warner Music Group and Hillel Slovak’s brother have now confirmed this to all be real! Frusciante really is back in the band!!

I actually thought about the account being hacked but I checked Flea's instagram and he posted it too. Frusciante already told a fan a couple of years ago that he may go back to the band one day, and seeing him with Flea in a picture last year, I figured this was coming, I just didn't expect Josh to go. I was already imagining how they would figure out becoming a band with two guitar players.

I bet they will also still play Goodbye Angels too. It seems to be a crowd favourite and the band enjoys playing it. They will probably not play many songs off I'm With You, they already ignored most of those songs on the last tour, which I think is a shame... I really like some of those songs, for example Monarchy Of Roses.

Edited by EvanG

Just now, EvanG said:

I actually thought about the account being hacked but I checked Flea's instagram and he posted it too. Frusciante already told a fan a couple of years ago that he may go back to the band one day, and seeing him with Flea in a picture last year, I figured this was coming, I just didn't expect Josh to go. I was already imagining how they would figure out becoming a band with two guitar players.

I bet they will also still play Goodbye Angels too. It seems to be a crowd favourite and the band enjoys playing it. They will probably not play many songs off I'm With You, they already ignored most of those songs on the last tour, which I think is a shame... I really like some of those songs, for example Monarchy Of Roses.

Yeah, but I’m With You and I’m Beside You weren’t as well received as The Getaway was. Oh well.

John and Josh were actually both in the band together for the 2007 tour. I had figured they would just do that again. Wonder why they aren’t doing it that way. Maybe Josh felt “demoted”?

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah, but I’m With You and I’m Beside You weren’t as well received as The Getaway was. Oh well.

John and Josh were actually both in the band together for the 2007 tour. I had figured they would just do that again. Wonder why they aren’t doing it that way. Maybe Josh felt “demoted”?

Yeah, but then one of them had to go back to being a rhythm guitar player, or Josh would play lead on the songs he wrote, and John would play lead on his songs, which would be most of the songs on the setlist. And a lot of their songs don't require two guitars, although you can always add another guitar to a song. Maybe that is what they offered Josh, but he decided to step back. I think a lot of the fans never totally embraced Josh because you can't compete with John. Maybe that was for him partly the reason to step back. I guess we'll hear about it soon enough.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I honestly hope they keep danger mouse.m as producer, i like the modern sound

Would not be surprised Rick Rubins back judging by fleas social media account.

He posted a few John F posts few weeks ago. Then last week had Rick r in the recording studio posts....

I like the Rick Rubins records much better then the last two danger mouse ones personally.

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Would not be surprised Rick Rubins back judging by fleas social media account.

He posted a few John F posts few weeks ago. Then last week had Rick r in the recording studio posts....

I like the Rick Rubins records much better then the last two danger mouse ones personally.

I just like that it made them do something different musically. i am actually a fan of the muted drum sound. I liked I'm With you, but I feel like half of the songs were just a regurgitation of their previous works. With the Getaway, I think the input from dangermouse as a producer/song writer gave them a "fresher" sound.

Also sidenote, Rick Rubin did I'm With You. Dangermouse only did the Getaway

• Like 1

I'm really excited. He was so vital to the band. I saw them twice with Josh (once was the HoF) and they were okay, but nothing special. I'm excited to see them now that they'll have John rightfully back

I'm With You was bland at best. The last album was okay but there wont be any loss if they dont play thay material live imo

• Like 3