John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

Frusciante refused to play any Navarro songs when he came back the first time.

More likely an excuse because he can’t play what Navarro wrote with them....

John Frusciante is a good guitarist for RHCP, and I hope he writes some more great stuff with them now that he’s back. But a great guitar player he is not. 

I remember seeing the Californication tour and John was sloppy as shit. He couldn’t even play his own solos live.

Just now, metallex78 said:

John Frusciante is a good guitarist for RHCP, and I hope he writes some more great stuff with them now that he’s back. But a great guitar player he is not. 

I remember seeing the Californication tour and John was sloppy as shit. He couldn’t even play his own solos live.

John Frusciante is a guitar genius and can play anything he likes!

He doesnt play the studio solos on any songs - he improvises every concert.

The californication tour was after he literally had not played guitar for 6 years - so yeah he was a bit rusty.

I love janes addiction but dave navarro is not even close to being in frusciantes league as a guitarist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DK6 said:

John Frusciante is a guitar genius and can play anything he likes!

He doesnt play the studio solos on any songs - he improvises every concert.

The californication tour was after he literally had not played guitar for 6 years - so yeah he was a bit rusty.

I love janes addiction but dave navarro is not even close to being in frusciantes league as a guitarist.

So the two solo records he put out in the late 90s were recorded before he had left the band in 1992? I vaguely recall hearing that he had only released those albums cause he needed drug money, so it wouldn’t surprise me if both of those records were just late 80s/ early 90s demos that he scrapped together.

Edited by rocknroll41

I'm very excited about Frusciante's decision simply cause it means more music from him and live shows which is fuckin' great. he didn't release music or performed live for a very long time. A new album from RHCP is likely to be very inspired, at least that's my hope cause of the 10 years of not working together.

I love Josh's work with Frusciante on his solo albums and I believe he did the best he could with the Peppers but it didn't work for me. I hope Josh will collaborate with John in the future, the two have better musical chemistry with each other compared to Josh and the Peppers imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metallex78 said:

what are you talking about. I suggest you take the time to go and listen to more music by RHCP with John and also check out his solo albums. He is one of the best guitar players in the world.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rovim said:

what are you talking about. I suggest you take the time to go and listen to more music by RHCP with John and also check out his solo albums. He is one of the best guitar players in the world.

I saw him live with RHCP and he was crap. Whereas I saw Navarro with the RHCP, and they were tight as hell. Why do I need to listen to his solo stuff to prove otherwise? Just sounds like excuses to me...

4 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I saw him live with RHCP and he was crap. Whereas I saw Navarro with the RHCP, and they were tight as hell. Why do I need to listen to his solo stuff to prove otherwise? Just sounds like excuses to me...

I think you didn't take into consideration that on the Californication tour he was still recovering from his heroin addiction and was still rusty. He can play whatever he wants to play. Total control of the instrument.

• Haha 1

Shitty band, Frusciante the MOST overrated player ever.

He can't be placed in the same sentance with Slash, Sambora, Marc Ford, Rich Robinson, Joe Perry, Billy Corgan, Matthias Jabs...you name it...

RHCP Blood Sugar + Californication (neither of which aged well IMO) + Raindance Maggie and about few hundred Heeeeeyyyyy Hoooooo this is what I say hooooooo' type songs.  Rather irritating.

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Like 1

Bit of a dick move to Josh. But a band is a business and you gotta do all you can to keep the brand alive and well. They were skirting dangerously close to irrelevance these last couple of years. With Frusciante back, even if the next record sucks, their ticket sales will go through the roof and they will be a must-see act for at least 4yrs like GNR post 2016. It's all business people. None of these decisions are made for motivations anything other than financial!

Edited by Towelie

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Bit of a dick move to Josh. But a band is a business and you gotta do all you can to keep the brand alive and well. They were skirting dangerously close to irrelevance these last couple of years. With Frusciante back, even if the next record sucks, their ticket sales will go through the roof and they will be a must-see act for at least 4yrs like GNR post 2016. It's all business people. None of these decisions are made for motivations anything other than financial!

They were just announced as headliners for Pinkpop, also for a stadium show in France and Greece, Firenze rocks and they are the headliners of Boston Calling with Foo Fighters. Don't think they slipped much really. They even performed at the latest Grammys together with Post Malone, the most mainstream thing you can do :D

I think it's just that John wanted back and it was always John's band and Josh and previously Dave Navarro were just replacements

Edited by Nicklord

7 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

They were just announced as headliners for Pinkpop, also for a stadium show in France and Greece, Firenze rocks and they are the headliners of Boston Calling with Foo Fighters. Don't think they slipped much really. They even performed at the latest Grammys together with Post Malone, the most mainstream thing you can do :D

I think it's just that John wanted back and it was always John's band and Josh and previously Dave Navarro were just replacements

I always thought navarro was an odd fit for RHCP when he first joined. ID be interested t o know why navarro joined. 

With josh out will be interesting to hear from flea and anthony in media  interviews about josh leaving and how john coming back eventuated. If thevband could be working wi t h rubin would be interested to know if his working style is different to when they did BSSM. I think the writing and recordibg process took 2 months as the Band  were living together at the time.

Now if only metallica would give rob trujillo a hint and for  newstead to slide back in..........

I guess I'm one of the few who liked I'm With You. It was more a quieter, simple record, especially after the bombastic Stadium Arcadium, which had some good songs but it didn't really work for me.

As for Frusciante being a crappy player, heh, each to their own, I guess. He's not the most technical player, but he has written some incredible stuff and you can tell by four notes that he's playing, not many guitarists can do that. I dare any guitarist to play that Snow riff for 5 minutes straight at the same speed without making any mistakes.

40 minutes ago, Towelie said:

They were skirting dangerously close to irrelevance these last couple of years

Nah, the last record did well and they are still playing huge venues around the world.

They played a gig with Josh just last month, and supposedly they had been working on a new record for a long time, so I wonder what's up with that.

Edited by EvanG

I dont get RHCP's enduring popularity. Dude bros with an artifice of 'thoughtful artiste.' With the "A" painted on Kedis' chest, the "R" painted on Flea, the "T" painted on Smiths chest, and so on. :lol:

Frusciante plays some Hendrix chords, which is cool. His solos sound like its his first time touching a guitar or dialing in a tone. Just shrieking 'plink, bink, shrill-shrill, snap, plink':smiley-confused2:

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Frusciante plays some Hendrix chords, which is cool. His solos sound like its his first time touching a guitar or dialing in a tone. Just shrieking 'plink, bink, shrill-shrill, snap, plink':smiley-confused2:

you know... he does more than play some Hendrix chords lol and it seems like you are not very familiar with his work at all. Not only can he solo like a motherfucker but sometimes there are 2 different solos happening at the same time on his studio work. He is a master of harmony and melody and he could play Jimi tunes when he was just a kid, but different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1