John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

I doubt the band fired him, and even if he didn’t part on great terms I’m sure Josh is grateful for his tenure. These guys are approaching 60, so if John comes back and stays hey let’s get this rolling again and the creative vibe is present, then the band would of course be compelled to reunite with John and create music again. 

On 2019-12-17 at 1:55 AM, El Guapo said:

Whoever calls Frusciante a shitty guitar player doesn't understand guitar. Or music in general.

I’m not a chillis fan, caught them live a few time’s and was at the aforementioned Slane gig. Guys a gifted guitar player. Music doesn’t do anything for me as it’s not my thing, but each of the Chillis are musically up there. He’s been one of the best guitarists in the last 30 years. 

again I’m not a fan of the band... But you can’t say the guy ain’t a great player.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I like it when they funk.  Not that they're shite outside of that, its just my preferred Chilli Peppers era, your Freaky Styleys and your Red Hot Chilli Peppers debut your Uplift Mofo Party Plan. 

Yeah, I hear yah! Hard not to wonder what kinda band they woulda been had Hillel never died...

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah, I hear yah! Hard not to wonder what kinda band they woulda been had Hillel never died...

Dont get me wrong, I like BloodSugar and Californication, haven’t really properly listened to the stuff after that...but it seemed to me that they became somewhat conventional after that compared to what they were, this mad punk funk band.

• Like 1

It didn't really click with Josh musicially and this is a band that always cared about commercial success. They gave it enough time and it's probably for the best for both parties. John belongs in the RHCP anyways. I'd say Josh had more musical chemistry with them compared to Dave, but not perfect like what they have with John.

I don't really hold it against them, I imagine it's almost foolish to keep doing it like that when you have a chance to work with someone that you know can just elevate everything he's a part of in your band.

Edited by Rovim

11 hours ago, soon said:

What was the business arrangement there anyways? Was John still a stake holder in the brand, but not a performing member? Josh was his understudy/employee?? I dont know anything about it, just curious?

John would never have sold his stake. This isnt a izzy or steven situation where they sold their stakes.

I believe Josh would of just been a hired gun. He would of still been getting paid writing royalities on the songs he did and performance fees. Probably nothing on merch or other business.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vloors said:

I believe Josh would of just been a hired gun. He would of still been getting paid writing royalities on the songs he did and performance fees. Probably nothing on merch or other business.

Perhaps you are right, but I always thought they were loyal and I figured Josh became a full member when they hired him. Same with songwriting, they have always divided writing royalties equally, even though not everyone in the band contributes as much. Chad Smith can thank his lucky stars for that one.

As for the split, I agree with most that John is a better fit, but I can't help but feel for Josh... he was very dedicated to this band and still had to endure ten years of haters telling him he isn't as good as John and now when John is ready to come back they kick him out. And I liked Josh, some of the jams he had with Flea were as inspiring as John and Flea's jams together (in my opinion). But as said before, hopefully there is no bad blood between them and Josh is okay with it.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, Rovim said:

It didn't really click with Josh musicially and this is a band that always cared about commercial success. They gave it enough time and it's probably for the best for both parties. John belongs in the RHCP anyways. I'd say Josh had more musical chemistry with them compared to Dave, but not perfect like what they have with John.

I don't really hold it against them, I imagine it's almost foolish to keep doing it like that when you have a chance to work with someone that you know can just elevate everything he's a part of in your band.

I think Josh's best work was the singles they released before I'm with you came out. Long progression, Victorian machinery are great songs. It's like they cut his balls off during  im with you.

4 hours ago, Mr MacPhisto said:

I think Josh's best work was the singles they released before I'm with you came out. Long progression, Victorian machinery are great songs. It's like they cut his balls off during  im with you.

All those songs were recorded during the I'm With You session but didn't make the record. But yeah, songs like Long Progression and Hanalei are really good and should have made the record easily. I love Josh's vocals on those songs and with him out of the band they lose the best singer they have ever had!

They don't really discuss money stuff with the public but I remember seeing Flea say several times that Josh's opinion weights the same in band meetings and is an equal. 

They kicked Dave out because all 3 of them voted him out. AK couldn't kick him out alone, he kinda made them go "me or him".

6 hours ago, Mr MacPhisto said:

All of those songs were actually released as singles AFTER I’m With You came out, and were then compiled into the album I’m Beside You.

So, technically, Josh did three records during the 10-12 years he was part of the band. Not bad!

Edited by rocknroll41

• 3 weeks later...

RHCP is working on a new album with John. Chad mostly talks about his paintings so if you're not interested in that just scroll down to the last part of the interview where he confirms it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/chad-smith-art-exhibit-confirms-new-chili-peppers-record-john-frusciante-934615/

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2