John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

3 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I'm excited for a follow up to The Getaway too. Do you think it'll come out?

I don't.

Nope. But I am curious if they are going to scratch all the songs they have been writing/recording with Josh and completely start over with John. Probably.

Just now, EvanG said:

Nope. But I am curious if they are going to scratch all the songs they have been writing/recording with Josh and completely start over with John. Probably.

I’m like 99% sure that’s what they’ll do. RHCP has done that before. They recorded a whole album worth of new songs when they were asked by the label to deliver two new songs for their Greatest Hits release. The band picked the best two, and then the rest of songs all got shelved. Also, when they were writing the Getaway album, they already had a different album worth of new songs written and demo’d, but scrapped all of it when Flea broke his wrist and Danger Mouse said he wanted to rewrite the whole album from scratch with them. There’s also like five or six songs from the Blood Sugar sessions that we still haven’t heard yet.

Those are all just a few examples from the band’s 30-year career. All of this recent stuff with Josh will get shelved too, for sure.

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’m like 99% sure that’s what they’ll do. RHCP has done that before. They recorded a whole album worth of new songs when they were asked by the label to deliver two new songs for their Greatest Hits release. The band picked the best two, and then the rest of songs all got shelved. Also, when they were writing the Getaway album, they already had a different album worth of new songs written and demo’d, but scrapped all of it when Flea broke his wrist and Danger Mouse said he wanted to rewrite the whole album from scratch with them. There’s also like five or six songs from the Blood Sugar sessions that we still haven’t heard yet.

Those are all just a few examples from the band’s 30-year career. All of this recent stuff with Josh will get shelved too, for sure.

You're right. Although I believe that for The Getaway they used half of the songs they had written before and the ones where Danger Mouse got a song credit were written in the studio after they started working with him. Also, I could be wrong, but I can't imagine John wanting to do songs he wasn't involved in, just like he never wanted to play anything off One Hot Minute (which is a shame).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Chad did another interview for SiriusXM. Doesn't know if they're gonna use material that was worked on by Josh for the next album.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/chad_smith_talks_when_rhcp_will_work_on_album_with_frusciante_doesnt_know_if_material_worked_on_with_klinghoffer_will_be_included.html

Interesting. I would think it would be scrapped by this point. Maybe they’re just not ready to say so to the public yet?

29 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Interesting. I would think it would be scrapped by this point. Maybe they’re just not ready to say so to the public yet?

could be, who knows? I'm of the opinion that the best idea that works in the context of the album should be used. Especially if it came from someone like Josh who proved he shares strong musical chemistry with John. On the other hand, I'll probably like most of John's ideas like always so I'm good either way. If I had to bet on it, I'd put all of it on them not using Josh's material though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Josh did a podcast with Marc Maron a few weeks after he got fired. Got released today. Starts around 18:40

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1091-josh-klinghoffer

If you don't want to listen. About this topic he said: 

John approached Flea and Anthony and they started hanging out again (Especially with Flea). 
The day they asked John to come back, they told Josh he's out and put it on social media.
No hard feelings from each side. Flea and Josh went on a dinner together a few days after that where Flea told him that it was really hard as it was the first time someone got fired without any issues with members.
If it happened 5 years ago he'd be mad and miserable as that would mean he wasn't good enough but the fact they kept him for 2 albums and worked on 3rd means it's not him. It's just that the chemistry and history with John is really strong and he isn't mad at them.

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Josh did a podcast with Marc Maron a few weeks after he got fired. Got released today. Starts around 18:40

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1091-josh-klinghoffer

If you don't want to listen. About this topic he said: 

John approached Flea and Anthony and they started hanging out again (Especially with Flea). 
The day they asked John to come back, they told Josh he's out and put it on social media.
No hard feelings from each side. Flea and Josh went on a dinner together a few days after that where Flea told him that it was really hard as it was the first time someone got fired without any issues with members.
If it happened 5 years ago he'd be mad and miserable as that would mean he wasn't good enough but the fact they kept him for 2 albums and worked on 3rd means it's not him. It's just that the chemistry and history with John is really strong and he isn't mad at them.

Very classy of him. I wish him all the best!

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Well, he's a much better man than I am because I would probably be pissed and kick those old guys' keisters for kicking me out as soon as Johnny boy decides he wants to come back.

Bands aren't really bands of brothers in that way, not on this level and not with new blood especially, Josh must've known he was only ever really a stand in.  Not that he can't be class doing that but I mean, if two years into being in The Stones Mick Taylor suddenly wanted in I'm pretty sure they'd let Ron out the side door and he wouldn't've moaned much.  Perhaps I'm wrong about that though.  Joining a band like The Chili's, well after their peak when they're like a middle aged moneyspinner band you know you're not really a member member member in the way a Chad or a Keidis or a Flea or even a returning Frusciante is, especially since he's the man on arguably their best work, though I'd argue for the early stuff.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Bands aren't really bands of brothers in that way, not on this level and not with new blood especially, Josh must've known he was only ever really a stand in.  Not that he can't be class doing that but I mean, if two years into being in The Stones Mick Taylor suddenly wanted in I'm pretty sure they'd let Ron out the side door and he wouldn't've moaned much.  Perhaps I'm wrong about that though.  Joining a band like The Chili's, well after their peak when they're like a middle aged moneyspinner band you know you're not really a member member member in the way a Chad or a Keidis or a Flea or even a returning Frusciante is, especially since he's the man on arguably their best work, though I'd argue for the early stuff.

I understand the decision, the chemistry they had/have with John is irreplaceable and he was probably the best songwriter the band has ever had. (he once said he wrote 70% of the music on BSSM and Flea only 30%) 

But I always felt for Josh, I don't know, he spent ten years dealing with the John fanboys and going through all of that and now John wants to come back and they immediately kick him out... it's just shitty, even though I know that there is probably no other way. Unless they continued with both guitarists, but I guess two guitar players in that band probably doesn't work, at least not for most of the songs.

• Like 1

Well it's probably easier to accept the fact after they made him a multimillionaire (judging by his comment that he lives in a house near Flea and has a big warehouse for his guitars :lol: ) and trusted him to replace John in the first place who's reputation is "one of the best guitarists ever". But yeah, he was all class. Marc even tried at first to trash talk the other members but Josh was having non of it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Oh yeah. He quickly mentioned GnR. He admires Slash and said how they shared a stage for RnR HoF and said he became friends with Duff but didn't go anything deeper there

Nice! Would be cool to see a collab with him and Duff at some point down the road then, hopefully.

I’m reading thru more details on reddit regarding the new interview Klinghoffer just did with Marc Maron. Honestly, as much as I love Frusciante, he sometimes sounds like a real dick. Apparently he cut off communication with Klinghoffer after finding out that he would be replacing him in the band back in 2009. He just assumed they would break up after he quit that last time. And Klinghoffer saw him recently at Flea’s wedding and Frusciante just said “hi” and that was it. Kinda shitty of him imo.

Oh well. Still interested to see him come back tho. Apparently he liked the Getaway album, so hopefully they still play some of those songs live. Also, Klinghoffer says they didn’t get a chance to record anything new before they fired him, but they did write a bunch of new stuff together, so hopefully they demo’d all of that and use at least SOME of those ideas. Would be nice to see Klinghoffer at least get writing credit on a few songs from their next release.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

U2 are a band of brothers. They have been a band since they were 17. I honestly didn’t anticipate John returning to the band. Did you?

36 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

U2 are a band of brothers. They have been a band since they were 17. I honestly didn’t anticipate John returning to the band. Did you?

Yeah regardless of how anyone feels about U2, you gotta give them credit for maintaining the same lineup for 44 years straight now.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I always had a feeling he might return one day,seems to be a cycle with John and the band. Thankfully it's a phase with him back in the band!