Matt Sorum's Autobiography

Not interested in reading Matt's book. I'm sure he'll be bashing Axl Rose non stop.

Yeah, he's a good drummer, but a dick person. When he was in Velvet Revolver with Slash and Duff he wasn't very nice to Scott Weiland when he auditioned for singer.

I bet he will air every fight he and Axl ever had and make Axl look like the bad guy. Whatever!

I was able to download it from Amazon. Matt seems pretty bitter. After reading it, it occurred to me that Slash and Duff are scheduled to play that fundraiser Matt had setup before everything got shut down. I will be interested to see if they're still around once its rescheduled and the details of the book reach them.

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I think he's still cool with Slash. Wasn't there a photo last year of them together at a SMKC show when Kings of Chaos were playing in the same town? Matt wouldn't have gone to visit him if there were problems.

Yup...here it is. I also posted this pic in another thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Duff is a bussines man. Nothing wrong with that. He studied the shit. Bc they were fucked in the past.... i believe they make more money now that in the end of the UYI Tour.

In my pov i believe they know what is the best to GnR (in make the shit profitable). And that is makin a tour with with new stuff (new show, songs, musicians...etc)

And Matt "Tank SS Destroyer" Sorum is a big one to make some sparkling vibe back. On stage amd musically.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

I remember when the RRHOF lineup (Myles + Slash + Gilby + Duff + Matt) were part of the Kings of Chaos lineup in 2013 for a couple of shows in South Africa. Was surprised they didn't do more KOC shows with that lineup but I guess it was likely a combination of egos, paycheques, and the likes of Slash preferring to focus on their own projects.

26 minutes ago, Amaya said:

I agree with everyones post , good and bad, about Duff. What he could have done, where he messed up from being a true leader is that you really have to manipulate and other words  , and that can be a good things, all angles, people, situations. Lets not use that word. Manage is better.  GnR true reunion could have been, just one of the American legs from the 4 years, with Matt, Steven, Izzy, Gilby with Duff , Axl, Slash. No touring hired musicans and even no Dizzy.  100 % spilt 7 ways.  Steven for his part that he recorded. Matt for his time in the band. Izzy (AFD-). Gilby( UYI-).    Matts book today would have been different. 

If it would be that way, there's no room for Gilby. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I seem to remember hearing that the other band members on the NITL tour (outside of Slash and Duff) are paid out of Axl’s 50% cut. That would sound about right, somehow I don’t see Slash willing to pay for the 2nd keyboard player. If that is the case, it makes even more sense that these other names being thrown around aren’t involved.

• Like 1

do not hate the playa. aren't super successful people usually manipulative/ruthless on that level? most bosses are douches when you get to know them? famous people in show business especially with so much money on the line and everyone must have smelled money with this reunion tour. Besides, they were always kinda shady, all of them in Gn'R. It's nothing new.

and the demand is not always going to be there.

it's a rock n' roll band, but where's the decency? it's kinda like anything goes sometimes. like Jagger or Richards are better or Jimmy Page or The Who. Not everyone can be like Bumble or Bucket and if they are, it's rare that it doesn't cost them or they just don't want to play the game at some point. Matt always loved money and he hit the jackpot twice with Gn'R and VR.

He had his chance to join in the fun, chose not to. Steven took what he could and for a moment there proved he still shared glorious chemistry with Axl, Slash, and Duff. Role models they are not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yup...here it is. I also posted this pic in another thread.

Yeah that's the one. Things can't be that bad if they all went to visit.

3 hours ago, Amir said:

I remember when the RRHOF lineup (Myles + Slash + Gilby + Duff + Matt) were part of the Kings of Chaos lineup in 2013 for a couple of shows in South Africa. Was surprised they didn't do more KOC shows with that lineup but I guess it was likely a combination of egos, paycheques, and the likes of Slash preferring to focus on their own projects.

Probably just depended on everyone's availability.

2 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I seem to remember hearing that the other band members on the NITL tour (outside of Slash and Duff) are paid out of Axl’s 50% cut. That would sound about right, somehow I don’t see Slash willing to pay for the 2nd keyboard player. If that is the case, it makes even more sense that these other names being thrown around aren’t involved.

Yeah because the other guys are Axl's employees.

does anyone have an idea of the terms of Slash and Duffs contracts?  how long did they sign for?  just wondering how much longer they have to stay in the band. 

with Slashs divorce settlement, I've got to imagine he cant go anywhere anytime soon, but then again if that money was invested well, maybe he could leave sooner than later.  cant see him staying in a "it's just a gig" situation for much longer than he financially needs to be there.  especially if he knows it dones sound good and its creatively going nowhere.  

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

As much of a dick as Matt can be he has Izzy of all people on his side. 

The greed and shade is strong in the gnr camp (#gnr-Fam)

Honestly, I think the sole reason for Matt and Izzys “friendship” is to annoy Axl.  That’s it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

does anyone have an idea of the terms of Slash and Duffs contracts?  how long did they sign for?  just wondering how much longer they have to stay in the band. 

with Slashs divorce settlement, I've got to imagine he cant go anywhere anytime soon, but then again if that money was invested well, maybe he could leave sooner than later.  cant see him staying in a "it's just a gig" situation for much longer than he financially needs to be there.  especially if he knows it dones sound good and its creatively going nowhere.  

As long as Live Nation keeps paying them, they will keep touring.

If the slow start to ticket sales is an indication of the future, Live Nation may start cutting smaller cheques. Who knows what happens then....

6 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

If the slow start to ticket sales is an indication of the future, Live Nation may start cutting smaller cheques. Who knows what happens then....

Yes I agree.

I'm inclined to think this incarnation of GNR will end with a whimper and not a bang. There's probably no need for Slash to ever flounce again in any real sense, the GNR gigs will eventually become smaller, less lucrative and less frequent and he'll just up his other projects to keep busy. Eventually over the next couple of decades one or more of them will become too old or die and bar an initial wave of tribute type stuff that will be the end of it.

Sorry to be a bit morbid but realistically we're in the final chapter now with the first year of the reunion being the high point. If we're lucky we might get the album and few years of touring that too. But beyond that...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

once the cheques become smaller, Live Nation will shit out as much money as needed to get in Iz, Steve, Matt whoever, just to make sure money machine keeps rolling...You can bet Ax will introduce them as 'my brothers'.

The trick has worked out once, no need to not work out once again and secure them another 5 years of milking the 'fan's with eversame set list.

8 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

once the cheques become smaller, Live Nation will shit out as much money as needed to get in Iz, Steve, Matt whoever, just to make sure money machine keeps rolling...You can bet Ax will introduce them as 'my brothers'.

The trick has worked out once, no need to not work out once again and secure them another 5 years of milking the 'fan's with eversame set list.

Axl and Slash performing on the same stage together is what most fans care about. No one else. If you think getting Izzy, Steven, or Matt back will somehow make a big difference in revenue, you're dreaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course it will generate a few more sales. They will market it as the genuine ''reunion''. That is their last card really. They'll milk this NITL half-arsed reunion for all it is worth then play that final card of getting Izzy and Adler back - maybe Matt and Gilby also, in some guest performance guise. That will give them another two years of milking.

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl and Slash performing on the same stage together is what most fans care about. No one else. If you think getting Izzy, Steven, or Matt back will somehow make a big difference in revenue, you're dreaming.

if you are stuck in 2016 - yes.  If you wake up in 2020, figure out theses are the times of Corona and those two share the stage since 2020, maybe you will figure out that trick has worn off.

The next trick up LN sleeve once it wears off completely is - 'The Grand AFD 5 + Dizzy reunion tour'.

I thought you would know better by now ;)

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Of course it will generate a few more sales. They will market it as the genuine ''reunion''. That is their last card really. They'll milk this NITL half-arsed reunion for all it is worth then play that final card of getting Izzy and Adler back - maybe Matt and Gilby also, in some guest performance guise. That will give them another two years of milking.

labeling the NITL tour as the "fraud" reunion? catering to just hardcore fans of the band. Most of the revenue comes from the casual Gn'R fan. How many hardcore fans in 2020 and beyond? how many knew about Steven playing Out Ta Get with the band and gave a shit, or when Izzy played with New Gn'R? I just don't think the incentive is there for most fans of the band.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

labeling the NITL tour as the "fraud" reunion? catering to just hardcore fans of the band. Most of the revenue comes from the casual Gn'R fan. How many hardcore fans in 2020 and beyond? how many knew about Steven playing Out Ta Get with the band and gave a shit, or when Izzy played with New Gn'R? I just don't think the incentive is there for most fans of the band.

Envision the marketing campaign: ''Appetite for Destruction Reunion Tour''. ''The original five on the stage for the first time in forty years''. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Envision the marketing campaign: ''Appetite for Destruction Reunion Tour''. ''The original five on the stage for the first time in forty years''. 

after Izzy left back in the UYI days and Matt replaced Steven, no one gave a fuck really. At least not enough for it to make any real damage. If the current line up goes away for a while and comes back and you compare it with a potential full reunion, would it really make that much of a difference? I don't believe it will. Not as long as Axl and Slash are still performing on the same stage. That's the attraction for most.

Edited by Rovim

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

after Izzy left back in the UYI days and Matt replaced Steven, no one gave a fuck really. At least not enough for it to make any real damage. If the current line up goes away for a while and comes back and you compare it with a potential full reunion, would it really make that much of a difference? I don't believe it will. Not as long as Axl and Slash are still performing on the same stage. That's the attraction for most.

Half the casual fans think Fortus is Izzy anyway so it would not make any difference to them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vloors said:

Half the casual fans think Fortus is Izzy anyway so it would not make any difference to them. 

I mean I get that it sounds good on paper and that it's been a long time since all 5 shared the same stage, but if it was that much more lucrative, I think Axl would have made Izzy a better offer and would have really included Steven too.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1