Matt Sorum's Autobiography

Just now, EvanG said:

Aw, come on, dude, you know it ain't like that. He left Seattle to escape the heroin wave and to see more than just his hometown, then he found some great musicians in LA and a few years later they were a huge band.

He was fleeing heroin so he took up with a heroin dealer and a few users? 

• Haha 1

Just now, soon said:

He was fleeing heroin so he took up with a heroin dealer and a few users? 

They were all users, but at least they weren't dying like his friends in Seattle! 

And I'm sure that wasn't the only reason. He had lived in Seattle his whole life, nothing wrong with going to a different city when you're young and ambitious.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

They were all users, but at least they weren't dying like his friends in Seattle! 

And I'm sure that wasn't the only reason. He had lived in Seattle his whole life, nothing wrong with going to a different city when you're young and ambitious.

We definitely agree on the "ambitious" part.

Well, I didn't say that a person should not go to a different city while young. :shrugs::P 

Gosh, Matt F'n Sorum is dishing on Guns and meanwhile people care what my view of Duff is... I better not let all this attention go to my head :lol:

On 4/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, LunsJail said:

Another tidbit for today: There was some drama around the RNR Hall of Fame ceremony as well. Matt had been told there would be no performance and didn’t find out otherwise until he ran into Gilby at the airport on the way to the ceremony. The guys had no plans to include Matt in this performance. Steven felt bad for him and let him take the drums on Brownstone. Matt repaid the favor by taking a crack at Steven during his speech which he admits he felt like a dick about later. 

After going back and reading this section again, I did leave out a detail.

- Matt is pissed when everyone shows up at the airport ready to go perform without him. He finds out Myles is singing and has words with Slash’s manager. Matt says “So this is all promotion for the Slash solo tour? Real nice”.

• Haha 2

Geez this book is going to turn into a big shit fight once we’ve all read it for ourselves 😂

Duffs image at the start of the reunion was squeaky clean, hailed as the hero who got this whole thing going. Now he’s viewed as the master manipulator and putting that business course he did to good use to freeze out certain ex band mates. 

Duff certainly lost some of his good guy reputation, I can forgive him for most of it, I’ll never forgive him for wearing a “women’s march” singlet on stage though 🤦‍♂️🤣😂😉

his newfound leftist views and revisionist history on his own behaviour was the first signs that he can tell lies as good as the other 2. The interview he did with axl in Brazil did him no favours in regards to his reputation as an innocent guy. I can forgive a straight up c**t like axl for being a straight up c**nt, but I don’t like sneaky people. Duff is a major disappointment in my eyes these days.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I dunno if people should throw Duff to the wolves, haha.

I still figure it's pretty simple: Izzy wanted an equal business slice, Axl (and Slash and Duff to whatever degree, who knows) think that is insane and unfair, Izzy wasn't interested in being a hired hand and once Team Brazil gets out the excel spreadsheets and stuff he immediately starts tuning out, Duff thinks that sucks and was probably sick of him being difficult... here we are. 

Moneyyyyy.

Granted I think GNR without Izzy is a shadow of its true self and think Izzy deserves equality and then some... I don't think Duff is just some cynical business guy :) . Just goes to show money ruins every fucking band if you're not vigilant.... tale as old as timeeee ♫...

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

On 11. 04. 2020. at 4:43 AM, Chester 524 said:

hmmm.  and duff didnt wish Izzy a happy birthday 2 days ago on twitter.....

slash did

that pretty much says what I thought and many others posted.

Duff and Axl call the financial shots but are very aware that Slash is the main deal in the band.

Slash, if he could, would have 87-93 back today rather than tmw, but really has no will to oppose the other 2.

Slash/Duff/Axl don't give a flying fuck about the other three in current band. (Who of Slash/Duff/Axl wished eg. Frank  happy birthday)?

They don't themselvs don't even perceive this as a band anymore. That said, as I mentioned many times earlier, chances of new album = 0.

This is all tour ad rab money while it lasts.  Duff and Axl don't have all that much to look back to last 15 years an Slash can always  look back to SMKC in need of wanting to release his creativity.

3 hours ago, dragan1978 said:

This. Thanks. 

I just do not believe he is behind all of this. I firmly believe it is Axl. 

Duff has always been a ,,glue", a mediator as everybody used to say. Now to think that he become ,,man from the shadow pulling the strings" after he got sober I found it ridicolous!

I know people change during their lifetime but not that much to become prick-dick-bastard-SOB-etc ...

but he definitely has his hands in the management of all of this but the last words are Axl's

Manupulator not, mediator yes.

But i do think the sober and grown up duff realised how much money was pissed away during the illusion era and if gnr could ever do a reunion his first priority was to make sure finances were the priority. 

8 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

OK, my 2 cents on everything, I will repeat mine beacuse people tend to always take sides of some member last 20 years as if it were their family member.

Izzy and Axl grew up in Indiana. The way Iz left and the way everyone always left and spoke of Axl (once they were financialy independant of him), was always pretty much same - complicated motherfucker who obviously has issues.

Once Iz was out, Ax really spared no time talking shit about him and dedicating DTJ to him.  (speaking of Matt, Axl spoke very fondly of Matt in the interviews while Sorum was in the band).

Gilby can't play, Iz comes back to have his commitments to him finally paid out, maybe also to test water for future colaboration but seeing 'the drugged zombies', 'counted days till Gilby comes back'.  Iz leaves, Ax dedicates DTJ at him from the next day on.

Ax goes nuts, thinks he is bigger than universe and decides to ditch Slash and Duff.

We get Neurotic outsiders, 2 great Snakepit albums, few failed Duff projects and a couple ok Gilby and Iz works.

Seeing Slash, with most post GNR success doesn't get past clubs, they decide to make GNR 2 minus Axl.

Iz spooked from Ax tyrany backs out once they want another frontman and Scott enters, although with no great enthusiasm as musically this band is far from STP style, yet Scott must pay his bills but decides to be in until he eventually gets back with DeLeo's.

In a moment of devestation, and probably Perla's pursuasion, Slash gives in, goes to Axl and tells Beta what he honestly thought. Duff spineless and etc.

In 2006, I go and see a concert in a very small club of one former member.

The former member clearly says 'we were are approached recently to rejoin the band. Currently in are Matt, Slash, Dizzy...,basically everyone but not Duff.'. Also says 'the first gig will be in NYC this fall'.

Several weeks later, I mention that on one forum and Jarmo goes mad.  Threatens with bans, says there is no way this person would ever say this, calls it fake rumours...  A day later to more people confirm they were at the same gig and heard the same things from this member...

2008 Scott fixed his relationship with STP and probably feels sick and tired putting up wth VR over no drugs policy when he can get a lot more money with STP.

VR disolve.  Slash is sick and tired of all and goes solo.  Duff is trying but his projects go from bad to worse. Duff plays gigs for 10k max.

Meanwhile around the globe, London excluded, Axl's solo project goes to shit averaging 2500-3000 tix in empty Arenas.

They ALL but Slash NEED money.  Axl plays some gigs for 200k or less. Conspiritors is a relativly cheap project where only Slash and Myles have decent careers and even here Myles has a lot lower contract than in Alterbridge, his primary project.

Duff somehow decides to sneak in Axl's room, even if that means travelling all the way to Londonand makes up this ridiculous story about it all being an accident.

They figure the only way to fame and $$$$ is Slash and Duff is the perfect mediator between the 2.

Slash is not stupid and stadiums are always more tempting than clubs or festivals around noon time.  Money will be x Million, why not.

Axl fires his whole band and works with Slash and Duff on the new band.  Slash sees Axl can't sing shit and demands more %.

Duff figures w/o Slash he is back to Loaded and will give Slash any % Slash demands.

What do we do with Iz?  Iz says equal share. Ax says 'don't touch my share', Duff thinks 'my is lowest anyway.  Fuck Iz.

Iz thinks 'either way they play the setlist, I had big influence on all of Afd-UYI material, equal share or nothing'.

Iz leaves, Steve would play for bits but Ax/Duff don't want him, Ax (unlike some here thought), didn't have issues with Matt so TB texted Matt but the offer was probably way below Matt's likeing...(not speaking about the part where Steve/Matt/Gilby got invited to participate as guests...

Axl thinking, you never know, if Slash turns out to be the biggest deal publicly with Matt/Duff/Iz or Gilby he may take over the band + I flopped with CD anyway publicly.

Axl takes a phone 'Frank and Rich could you come back for a few $k a month'?  Thinking, Frank is shit but anyone else is more $.

Fortus and Frank comeback.  Poster Moneypenny or whatever says 'Neither Slash nor Duff are too thrilled about F n F duo. One of them is hated by both, the other one is tolerated by one of the 2'.

NITL tour proceeds.  End of 2016 I see an legend, very big friend of both Slash and Duff, who just played as opener last week for them in SA, his words 'Man that sounds bad through and through. The worst part - they are aware. Ax/Slash/Duff have seperate backstage each.  None of them talks to the rest of the band. I had to talk seperately to Duff and Slash, beacuse they barely talk...Its not a band man.  I asked Duff why are you doing this to yourself and he replies - my contract says so'.

Conclusion - of course it is all about money, all the bands from foundation on hope to play for money.  The problem occures when it becomes only about the money. When there ain't no soul - there is no creativity.  This band as it is, suits them all perfectly.  Otherwise Axl would be retired sitting at home watching tv, Duff playing 500 cap clubs, Slash playing 3000-5000cap clubs or afternoon festival slots, Dizzy...hard to imagine what he would do...Dead Daises with Fortus or something.

There is no logic in this band nor was there ever one.  Now there is just financial thrive, no soul and unlike the 80/90's no greater quality Slash excluded.

When I just think how many decades I repeated taht GNR 87-93 was the greatest band ever.  Collected bootlegs 86-93, posters, books basically any memorabilia with GNR moniker, now I passed every chance possible to see ths revolving door nostalgia act 2016 on, watching pro shots of 2016-2020 thinking what a sad, sad circus this has become and how itching it is to watch what Axl is doing to himself and GNR moniker with this horribly irritating Mickey Mouse voice. I can't watch more than 2 min of a song hopeing the next one will be better but it just gets worse and worse.

Sad.  This band had it all and has ruined it all for themseves, the fans, the reputation...For all but their bank accounts. If that is what makes them happy - good for them.

😳 2 questions - you only have to say yes or no.

Gilby?

Alice Cooper?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Let us stop being fanboys and think about a few facts on the NITL tour.

Steven made a few appearances but these were not promoted or advertised beforehand. It sounds like he could have had more involvement but “hurt his back” and never properly rehearsed. Matt and Izzy were offered to appear but turned it down over money.

The Coachella shows nor the rest of the tour were contingent on their involvement. The tour started out playing stadiums in the US in summer 2016, Axl’s lineup prior to this was having trouble filling arenas in the US. The band has been playing 3 hour shows without late starts for 3+ years now. The tour sold a shitload of tickets worldwide and has been massively successful, legs kept getting added.

This would lead one to believe that the involvement (or non involvement as it were) of these 3 guys was of little to no value to the general public.

Think about that before you going calling anyone a cunt, slimy, or think Duff, Slash etc should have cut off their left nut to get these guys into the fold again, or put up with even the slightest of difficulty from them for that involvement. And yes, it’s a business and not a fraternity.

Sure that is a way to think of it. But then don't earn millions $ touring  and playing songs that Iz had massive influence on if he ain't good enough to give him his share playing those songs and filling stadiums on his works.

Don't be a hypocrate and cut those songs out, see if the other songs sell out those tix.

Just now, LunsJail said:

😳 2 questions - you only have to say yes or no.

Gilby?

Alice Cooper?

2016?  Neither. ;) Although age wise closer to Alice than Gilby.

2 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

Sure that is a way to think of it. But then don't earn millions $ touring  and playing songs that Iz had massive influence on if he ain't good enough to give him his share playing those songs and filling stadiums on his works.

Don't be a hypocrate and cut those songs out, see if the other songs sell out those tix.

2016?  Neither. ;) Although age wise closer to Alice than Gilby.

I meant 2006 for Gilby. Ahhh, this is killing me now.

24 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Let us stop being fanboys and think about a few facts on the NITL tour.

Steven made a few appearances but these were not promoted or advertised beforehand. It sounds like he could have had more involvement but “hurt his back” and never properly rehearsed. Matt and Izzy were offered to appear but turned it down over money.

The Coachella shows nor the rest of the tour were contingent on their involvement. The tour started out playing stadiums in the US in summer 2016, Axl’s lineup prior to this was having trouble filling arenas in the US. The band has been playing 3 hour shows without late starts for 3+ years now. The tour sold a shitload of tickets worldwide and has been massively successful, legs kept getting added.

This would lead one to believe that the involvement (or non involvement as it were) of these 3 guys was of little to no value to the general public.

Think about that before you going calling anyone a cunt, slimy, or think Duff, Slash etc should have cut off their left nut to get these guys into the fold again, or put up with even the slightest of difficulty from them for that involvement. And yes, it’s a business and not a fraternity.

I’m with you. The UYI tour didn’t need Izzy or Steven, and both those guys would just bring drama. It appears both were given a chance and both blew it in their own way because they are not accustomed to being in a huge band or real touring. 

12 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

I meant 2006 for Gilby. Ahhh, this is killing me now.

he played in GNR and had a solo record while still in the band ;)

he also claimed that in 2006 VR were done, which was then unknown, but came out 10 years later as true for that period.  Although a year later Libertad came out.

Edited by shotsfired cro

22 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

he played in GNR and had a solo record while still in the band ;)

Oh shit, got ya! It was so obvious I couldn’t see it. Were guys named Jerry and Sean involved in this 2006 show? Nevermind, you added and I figured it out.

Edited by LunsJail

3 hours ago, Tadsy said:

Geez this book is going to turn into a big shit fight once we’ve all read it for ourselves 😂

Duffs image at the start of the reunion was squeaky clean, hailed as the hero who got this whole thing going. Now he’s viewed as the master manipulator and putting that business course he did to good use to freeze out certain ex band mates. 

Duff certainly lost some of his good guy reputation, I can forgive him for most of it, I’ll never forgive him for wearing a “women’s march” singlet on stage though 🤦‍♂️🤣😂😉

his newfound leftist views and revisionist history on his own behaviour was the first signs that he can tell lies as good as the other 2. The interview he did with axl in Brazil did him no favours in regards to his reputation as an innocent guy. I can forgive a straight up c**t like axl for being a straight up c**nt, but I don’t like sneaky people. Duff is a major disappointment in my eyes these days.

All this bickering and speculation will continue until we get new music( just the way it is).

• Like 1

I wanted to walk back something I said earlier about Slash and Matt having no contact.

In the book, Matt is talking about the period in the 90’s after he was fired. He had been getting paid $15k a month which was to be recouped from royalties on the next album which he now wouldn’t get. They had to recoup it from UYI royalties instead and it was a long time before he saw another royalty check. Matt also feels he was screwed out of his royalty on Live Era. In general, he didn’t like the way Axl did business sometimes.

Matt then says he was speaking to Slash about this period “not that long ago”. Matt asks Slash how he can work with Axl now and Slash replies that it’s “just a gig”.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

I wanted to walk back something I said earlier about Slash and Matt having no contact.

In the book, Matt is talking about the period in the 90’s after he was fired. He had been getting paid $15k a month which was to be recouped from royalties on the next album which he now wouldn’t get. They had to recoup it from UYI royalties instead and it was a long time before he saw another royalty check. Matt also feels he was screwed out of his royalty on Live Era. In general, he didn’t like the way Axl did business sometimes.

Matt then says he was speaking to Slash about this period “not that long ago”. Matt asks Slash how he can work with Axl now and Slash replies that it’s “just a gig”.

How he was demanding to be the GNR drummer if they didn't like how the things were running by Axl?  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

How he was demanding to be the GNR drummer if they didn't like how the things were running by Axl?  

That’s an issue I had. Matt talks out of both sides of his mouth. On the one hand, he was chastising Slash for working with Axl again. This appears to be after he was asking Duff to demand his inclusion in the tour.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think there's lots of assumptions here. Suddenly Duff somehow is somehow orchestrating everything while manipulating everyone else including someone as volatile as Axl? Really? 

Yeah agreed, don’t think so.