Gibbo

Matt Sorum's Autobiography

7 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Duff is probably the coolest and most real motherfucker  you’d ever meet in your life next to Joe Perry. 

Nah. Not even close.

and I didn’t even mention him being a groveling liar.

• Haha 1

Will any of the rest comment? Izzy, no. He does not comment . Steven won't. He really seems to finally let  talk about them go.  Duff might. Slash won't.  Axl might . 

6 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

How so?

The whole CNN & RS interviews business.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

that pretty much says what I thought and many others posted.

Duff and Axl call the financial shots but are very aware that Slash is the main deal in the band.

Slash, if he could, would have 87-93 back today rather than tmw, but really has no will to oppose the other 2.

Slash/Duff/Axl don't give a flying fuck about the other three in current band. (Who of Slash/Duff/Axl wished eg. Frank  happy birthday)?

They don't themselvs don't even perceive this as a band anymore. That said, as I mentioned many times earlier, chances of new album = 0.

This is all tour ad rab money while it lasts.  Duff and Axl don't have all that much to look back to last 15 years an Slash can always  look back to SMKC in need of wanting to release his creativity.

If its all about the money, then the band now has a shelf life. I think once matts book comes out this will potentially open alot of old wounds and now put any new music in jeopardy, if new music will be a reality.

Edited by Sydney Fan

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

As always, I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. 

Are the current lineup of GNR a close knit group of buddies? No, of course not. Anyone who's seen any footage of the band can see that clearly. 

Are Slash & Duff sitting around wishing they had enough power to bring the almighty Matt Sorum back? Nah, probably not. 

Have the two of them said things to make Matt feel better while they cash their checks from the reunion? Probably. 

This: 100%. 

Take it for what you will, but MSL said that when Slash and Duff first came to the bargaining table, they brought up the possibility of Matt being the full time drummer for the NITL tour, and Axl laughed it off. I'm sure to them, that was the most they could do in terms of getting Matt back "in the band" instead of just guest spots. He also said Axl brought up the possibility of continuing with three guitarists, but Slash refused. Point being, there was give and take all around, and not a specific attempt to keep Matt out of the band. 

For what it's worth, I completely understand Matt wanting to get his side of the story to the public. That being said, it looks like he resorted to gossip in a way that Slash and Duff's books did not. To be fair, Slash and Duff's books have their fair criticisms of Axl, but they never resort to this type of whining. As a matter of fact, I think Slash actually apologizes for the times he did knock Axl in the press. Beyond Matt cutting off his ties to Axl, Slash, and Duff with this book, I imagine it will not sit well with Izzy either. Although he does not say anything bad about Izzy, we all know Izzy remains a quiet and guarded person who seems to have worked hard to avoid airing dirty laundry. 

• Like 3

I was referring to the Izzy and Duff situation when I said I thought Matt was oversharing. I can’t imagine either one of them wanted those words in public. It’s interesting when people who talk too much complain about not being better informed. But I get that he had a book to sell too.

18 hours ago, LunsJail said:

The major label hair band that was living in a fucking storage unit when they formed?

Yep, while that hair band actively pursued a major label deal they voluntarily chose to live for a brief period in a rehearsal room for greater access to sex, drug and rock n roll. Whats your point?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Additional Musician 

Yeah, that would've rubbed me the wrong way too. But Matt asking Duff to go to Axl and grovel on his behalf is a total punk ass move. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Senor_peligro said:

So what.

good on him , he got the ball rolling for the reunion all fans wanted to see. 

This is not the reunion i wanted to see. Its a hybrid version of GnR. Just boring and predictable. They are just doing their work. I can't see the fun, just the dollar bills. I dont need them to be friends again, but there were total different vibes when Steven were on drums for 2 songs. Or Angus on guitar. Or GnR joining Foo Fighters. Hybrid GnR bores me.

Edited by Creed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Creed said:

This is not the reunion i wanted to see. Its a hybrid version of GnR. Just boring and predictable. They are just doing their work. I can't see the fun, just the dollar bills. I dont need them to be friends again, but there were total different vibes when Steven were on drums for 2 songs. Or Angus on guitar. Or GnR joining Foo Fighters. Hybrid GnR bores me.

Bullshit.

For 20 years it was

No Slash no GNR, 

Without Slash there  is no GNR

We want Slash

Reunite with Slash

Slash is Guns N’ Roses

etc....

I did not see anyone wanting Steven or Matt. It’s always been about Slash. Any attempt otherwise is revisionist history. 

If Steven and Izzy came back it would have been.

“They are too old just retire this just a cash grab”

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually enjoyed the pre-reunion lineup (saw them with my dad in 2011 and 2012) more than the current lineup I saw in 2016. Current lineup is a nostalgic thing at best, and money-making, there is that too. 

The 2002 era with Bucket, Robin, and Brain in my mind was no doubt, the best from an ability standpoint. It's a damn shame that very lineup didn't put out more material.

Oh well, my only hope that if/when CD2/next album comes out, it will largely contain material from the above mentioned members, which I realize is not likely.

It would have been great if CD2 came out in 2010-2014 or whatever. I can tolerate a little Bumble and Frank like we got in CD, and I assumed CD2 was more or less the same in that regard. 

Not interested in reading Matt's book. I'm sure he'll be bashing Axl Rose non stop.

Yeah, he's a good drummer, but a dick person. When he was in Velvet Revolver with Slash and Duff he wasn't very nice to Scott Weiland when he auditioned for singer.

I bet he will air every fight he and Axl ever had and make Axl look like the bad guy. Whatever!

I was able to download it from Amazon. Matt seems pretty bitter. After reading it, it occurred to me that Slash and Duff are scheduled to play that fundraiser Matt had setup before everything got shut down. I will be interested to see if they're still around once its rescheduled and the details of the book reach them.

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I think he's still cool with Slash. Wasn't there a photo last year of them together at a SMKC show when Kings of Chaos were playing in the same town? Matt wouldn't have gone to visit him if there were problems.

Yup...here it is. I also posted this pic in another thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Duff is a bussines man. Nothing wrong with that. He studied the shit. Bc they were fucked in the past.... i believe they make more money now that in the end of the UYI Tour.

In my pov i believe they know what is the best to GnR (in make the shit profitable). And that is makin a tour with with new stuff (new show, songs, musicians...etc)

And Matt "Tank SS Destroyer" Sorum is a big one to make some sparkling vibe back. On stage amd musically.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Way off subject, but after some talked about failed projects, did anyone see Duff with Jane's Addiction, and if so, how was it with him on bass? 

I remember when the RRHOF lineup (Myles + Slash + Gilby + Duff + Matt) were part of the Kings of Chaos lineup in 2013 for a couple of shows in South Africa. Was surprised they didn't do more KOC shows with that lineup but I guess it was likely a combination of egos, paycheques, and the likes of Slash preferring to focus on their own projects.

26 minutes ago, Amaya said:

I agree with everyones post , good and bad, about Duff. What he could have done, where he messed up from being a true leader is that you really have to manipulate and other words  , and that can be a good things, all angles, people, situations. Lets not use that word. Manage is better.  GnR true reunion could have been, just one of the American legs from the 4 years, with Matt, Steven, Izzy, Gilby with Duff , Axl, Slash. No touring hired musicans and even no Dizzy.  100 % spilt 7 ways.  Steven for his part that he recorded. Matt for his time in the band. Izzy (AFD-). Gilby( UYI-).    Matts book today would have been different. 

If it would be that way, there's no room for Gilby. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I seem to remember hearing that the other band members on the NITL tour (outside of Slash and Duff) are paid out of Axl’s 50% cut. That would sound about right, somehow I don’t see Slash willing to pay for the 2nd keyboard player. If that is the case, it makes even more sense that these other names being thrown around aren’t involved.

• Like 1

do not hate the playa. aren't super successful people usually manipulative/ruthless on that level? most bosses are douches when you get to know them? famous people in show business especially with so much money on the line and everyone must have smelled money with this reunion tour. Besides, they were always kinda shady, all of them in Gn'R. It's nothing new.

and the demand is not always going to be there.

it's a rock n' roll band, but where's the decency? it's kinda like anything goes sometimes. like Jagger or Richards are better or Jimmy Page or The Who. Not everyone can be like Bumble or Bucket and if they are, it's rare that it doesn't cost them or they just don't want to play the game at some point. Matt always loved money and he hit the jackpot twice with Gn'R and VR.

He had his chance to join in the fun, chose not to. Steven took what he could and for a moment there proved he still shared glorious chemistry with Axl, Slash, and Duff. Role models they are not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yup...here it is. I also posted this pic in another thread.

Yeah that's the one. Things can't be that bad if they all went to visit.

3 hours ago, Amir said:

I remember when the RRHOF lineup (Myles + Slash + Gilby + Duff + Matt) were part of the Kings of Chaos lineup in 2013 for a couple of shows in South Africa. Was surprised they didn't do more KOC shows with that lineup but I guess it was likely a combination of egos, paycheques, and the likes of Slash preferring to focus on their own projects.

Probably just depended on everyone's availability.

2 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I seem to remember hearing that the other band members on the NITL tour (outside of Slash and Duff) are paid out of Axl’s 50% cut. That would sound about right, somehow I don’t see Slash willing to pay for the 2nd keyboard player. If that is the case, it makes even more sense that these other names being thrown around aren’t involved.

Yeah because the other guys are Axl's employees.

does anyone have an idea of the terms of Slash and Duffs contracts?  how long did they sign for?  just wondering how much longer they have to stay in the band. 

with Slashs divorce settlement, I've got to imagine he cant go anywhere anytime soon, but then again if that money was invested well, maybe he could leave sooner than later.  cant see him staying in a "it's just a gig" situation for much longer than he financially needs to be there.  especially if he knows it dones sound good and its creatively going nowhere.