Gibbo

Matt Sorum's Autobiography

35 minutes ago, registra said:

Don't Axl and Slash wear similar chains and accessories? And I'm pretty sure Depp has always dressed like that.

Haven't listened to the band to much but I did like his vocals on bit on their Heroes cover.

I don't know, to me Slash and Axl are legit and not just some rich guy playing rock star. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't know, to me Slash and Axl are legit and not just some rich guy playing rock star. 

To be honest, the periord during which they were “legit” and not some “rich guys playing rock stars” has been gone for ages. I think Slash is still legit cause he kept living his rock n roll life, playing concerts and releasing stuff since day one, but I cant say the same for Axl lol

Axl just hid in his Malibu mansion for most of his life and didnt do anything of relevancy aside of NuGNR tours to keep his “rich guy” lifestyle going, which is kind of lame. Id respect him a little more had he gone in a way similar to Slash. 

But the way I see Axl these days? A guy that got lucky in the past, had a great way of singing (but didnt really know how to sing properly, so wasnt really a singer), wrotte two great songs on his own and lived the rest of his life off that legacy. A trully hardcore rockstar lol

Edited by default_
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

To me Depp is a legit rocker. He has always had a rebellious aura. Ok, he might not have a distinct sound, but his guitar playing is good and he has a nice voice. Plus he was a musician before he started acting. 

And he got rich by doing what he is good at, like Axl and Slash, so I don't see why him having money would be an argument against being legit. (Although, one could say they are all rich old guys playing rock stars these days.)

... I'm on a Gn'R forum defending Johnny Depp. Fuck my life...

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, default_ said:

To be honest, the periord during which they were “legit” and not some “rich guys playing rock stars” has been gone for ages. I think Slash is still legit cause he kept living his rock n roll life, playing concerts and releasing stuff since day one, but I cant say the same for Axl lol

Axl just hid in his Malibu mansion for most of his life and didnt do anything of relevancy aside of NuGNR tours to keep his “rich guy” lifestyle going, which is kind of lame. Id respect him a little more had he gone in a way similar to Slash. 

But the way I see Axl these days? A guy that got lucky in the past, had a great way of singing (but didnt really know how to sing properly, so wasnt really a singer), wrotte two great songs on his own and lived the rest of his life off that legacy. A trully hardcore rockstar lol

I don't disagree with you there, I just mentioned Axl because he was named in the post I was quoting. Slash, yes definitely.

6 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

To me Depp is a legit rocker. He has always had a rebellious aura. Ok, he might not have a distinct sound, but his guitar playing is good and he has a nice voice. Plus he was a musician before he started acting. 

And he got rich by doing what he is good at, like Axl and Slash, so I don't see why him having money would be an argument against being legit. (Although, one could say they are all rich old guys playing rock stars these days.)

... I'm on a Gn'R forum defending Johnny Depp. Fuck my life...

Perhaps, but to me he's not a legit rock star, not like Joe Perry for instance. Or when Matt and Duff were still in the band. I don't mind him being in the band and playing, I just don't like that he's got this costume on and he's acting like he's some rock star. Even if that's how he looks when he's off the stage it doesn't look genuine to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's the part I don't like about the band. He's such a poser with all of his overpriced chains and accessories. Tommy is way more of a legit rock star than him, not to mention Alice and Joe.

@LunsJail are there any interesting tidbits about VR?

The VR section is surprisingly brief. Not much we haven’t heard before. There is a story about Scott walking in on Matt with some groupies (one of whom is his current wife) but I’d heard that one before. He skips right past anything to do with the making of the 2nd album. Also, he treats Scott’s firing as the end of that band. No mention of trying out other singers after Scott.

5 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

The VR section is surprisingly brief. Not much we haven’t heard before. There is a story about Scott walking in on Matt with some groupies (one of whom is his current wife) but I’d heard that one before. He skips right past anything to do with the making of the 2nd album. Also, he treats Scott’s firing as the end of that band. No mention of trying out other singers after Scott.

Interesting, I thought VR was a huge deal for him back then. Maybe he figured people were mostly interested in hearing about GnR and reunion stuff. I would've loved to hear more about VR from his perspective.

Maybe he kind of knew that after the last tour it would be the end, since Slash wanted to make a solo record and everyone was already doing other stuff.

27 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Ah man that is a bummer!  Even Scott's own autobio omitted a ton of what I would have assumed were fairly important parts of their lives.   

Steve Gorman, the drummer for The Black Crowes released a memoir about his history with that band and man he really laid it all out on the table.  All books should be that honest and comprehensive IMO

37 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Ah man that is a bummer!  Even Scott's own autobio omitted a ton of what I would have assumed were fairly important parts of their lives.   

Steve Gorman, the drummer for The Black Crowes released a memoir about his history with that band and man he really laid it all out on the table.  All books should be that honest and comprehensive IMO

That guy had nothing to lose. He is certain his time with the band is finished. Plus, the Robinson brothers aren’t Slash and Duff level of cred. I wonder how they feel about each other know that there will no be any tours. They were talking great about each other and now there broke again 

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I want to read that one too, even though I'm not much of a Black Crowes fan.

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That guy had nothing to lose. He is certain his time with the band is finished. Plus, the Robinson brothers aren’t Slash and Duff level of cred. I wonder how they feel about each other know that there will no be any tours. They were talking great about each other and now there broke again 

I don't feel bad for them. Their reunion was such a joke and they're so washed up now anyways.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't feel bad for them. Their reunion was such a joke and they're so washed up now anyways.

I agree. I seriously don’t think anyone was truly wanting a Black Crowe’s reunion.

Posted (edited)

Was there much talk about Snakepit?

Honestly looking at how GNR has turned out in 2020... if Axl had just sung on those fucking songs... it would have been SO GOOD.

If I close my eyes I can hear Axl on Doin' Fine... and I'm rock... hard. Dime Store Rock was made for snake-dancing. 

Edited by Ant

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree. I seriously don’t think anyone was truly wanting a Black Crowe’s reunion.

No, I think most people had forgotten about them when they announced it. I know I had. Even when they broke up, I don't think many people cared back then either.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ant said:

Was there much talk about Snakepit?

Honestly looking at how GNR has turned out in 2020... if Axl had just sung on those fucking songs... it would have been SO GOOD.

If I close my eyes I can hear Axl on Doin' Fine... and I'm rock... hard. Dime Store Rock was made for snake-dancing. 

I agree for the most part of your reasoning, but creatively Axl could not operate in such a space. I Hate Everybody, But You or Lower for me. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree for the most part of your reasoning, but creatively Axl could not operate in such a space. 

Yeah for sure there was no alternate timeline where Axl wasn't gonna do what ended up being the CD route. I'm sure '95 felt like the world was limitless with opportunity to branch out. 

Although Slash did say Axl came around eventually on at least some of the songs but it was too late. 

Edited by Ant

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, default_ said:

I’ve read some stuff on here, this last paragraph is some other stuff. Each to their own though I guess. 

Edited by Tadsy

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

How are they washed up, exactly? They still sound pretty damn good. Plus, there are quite a few people who would attribute your last sentence to a certain band whose name escapes me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

How are they washed up, exactly? They still sound pretty damn good. Plus, there are quite a few people who would attribute your last sentence to a certain band whose name escapes me.

Washed up implies the demand was lower for a reunion than the band at its peak. If you’re implying GNR then the demand increased overtime. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Washed up implies the demand was lower for a reunion than the band at its peak. If you’re implying GNR then the demand increased overtime. 

Gotcha, I just think "washed up" is the wrong phrase to describe that, imo. 

23 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

4 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

This. Plus they were no longer relevant or cared about (which equals lower demand I guess). One could make the case that Axl was/is washed up but Slash is not, and despite what we might think about members who were and were not involved, Axl's voice, setlists, new music, etc they sold a lot of tickets and made a lot of money. When the Coachella dates were announced it was a huge deal, followed by the NITL announcement and Troubadour show. For quite a while GnR and the reunion was the talk of the music industry and the hot ticket to get. With Black Crowes they had that Rolling Stone interview and a couple other smaller ones then after a couple weeks everyone forgot about it; it wasn't a big deal.

5 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Gotcha, I just think "washed up" is the wrong phrase to describe that, imo. 

Irrelevant is what I was getting at, I guess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

This. Plus they were no longer relevant or cared about (which equals lower demand I guess). One could make the case that Axl was/is washed up but Slash is not, and despite what we might think about members who were and were not involved, Axl's voice, setlists, new music, etc they sold a lot of tickets and made a lot of money. When the Coachella dates were announced it was a huge deal, followed by the NITL announcement and Troubadour show. For quite a while GnR and the reunion was the talk of the music industry and the hot ticket to get. With Black Crowes they had that Rolling Stone interview and a couple other smaller ones then after a couple weeks everyone forgot about it; it wasn't a big deal.

Irrelevant is what I was getting at, I guess.

Ok, that's totally fair. 

• Like 1