Matt Sorum's Autobiography

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree. I seriously don’t think anyone was truly wanting a Black Crowe’s reunion.

No, I think most people had forgotten about them when they announced it. I know I had. Even when they broke up, I don't think many people cared back then either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Was there much talk about Snakepit?

Honestly looking at how GNR has turned out in 2020... if Axl had just sung on those fucking songs... it would have been SO GOOD.

If I close my eyes I can hear Axl on Doin' Fine... and I'm rock... hard. Dime Store Rock was made for snake-dancing. 

I agree for the most part of your reasoning, but creatively Axl could not operate in such a space. I Hate Everybody, But You or Lower for me. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

3 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree for the most part of your reasoning, but creatively Axl could not operate in such a space. 

Yeah for sure there was no alternate timeline where Axl wasn't gonna do what ended up being the CD route. I'm sure '95 felt like the world was limitless with opportunity to branch out. 

Although Slash did say Axl came around eventually on at least some of the songs but it was too late. 

Edited by Ant

6 hours ago, default_ said:

To be honest, the periord during which they were “legit” and not some “rich guys playing rock stars” has been gone for ages. I think Slash is still legit cause he kept living his rock n roll life, playing concerts and releasing stuff since day one, but I cant say the same for Axl lol

Axl just hid in his Malibu mansion for most of his life and didnt do anything of relevancy aside of NuGNR tours to keep his “rich guy” lifestyle going, which is kind of lame. Id respect him a little more had he gone in a way similar to Slash. 

But the way I see Axl these days? A guy that got lucky in the past, had a great way of singing (but didnt really know how to sing properly, so wasnt really a singer), wrotte two great songs on his own and lived the rest of his life off that legacy. A trully hardcore rockstar lol

I’ve read some stuff on here, this last paragraph is some other stuff. Each to their own though I guess. 

Edited by Tadsy

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I want to read that one too, even though I'm not much of a Black Crowes fan.

I don't feel bad for them. Their reunion was such a joke and they're so washed up now anyways.

How are they washed up, exactly? They still sound pretty damn good. Plus, there are quite a few people who would attribute your last sentence to a certain band whose name escapes me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

How are they washed up, exactly? They still sound pretty damn good. Plus, there are quite a few people who would attribute your last sentence to a certain band whose name escapes me.

Washed up implies the demand was lower for a reunion than the band at its peak. If you’re implying GNR then the demand increased overtime. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

4 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Washed up implies the demand was lower for a reunion than the band at its peak. If you’re implying GNR then the demand increased overtime. 

This. Plus they were no longer relevant or cared about (which equals lower demand I guess). One could make the case that Axl was/is washed up but Slash is not, and despite what we might think about members who were and were not involved, Axl's voice, setlists, new music, etc they sold a lot of tickets and made a lot of money. When the Coachella dates were announced it was a huge deal, followed by the NITL announcement and Troubadour show. For quite a while GnR and the reunion was the talk of the music industry and the hot ticket to get. With Black Crowes they had that Rolling Stone interview and a couple other smaller ones then after a couple weeks everyone forgot about it; it wasn't a big deal.

5 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Gotcha, I just think "washed up" is the wrong phrase to describe that, imo. 

Irrelevant is what I was getting at, I guess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

This. Plus they were no longer relevant or cared about (which equals lower demand I guess). One could make the case that Axl was/is washed up but Slash is not, and despite what we might think about members who were and were not involved, Axl's voice, setlists, new music, etc they sold a lot of tickets and made a lot of money. When the Coachella dates were announced it was a huge deal, followed by the NITL announcement and Troubadour show. For quite a while GnR and the reunion was the talk of the music industry and the hot ticket to get. With Black Crowes they had that Rolling Stone interview and a couple other smaller ones then after a couple weeks everyone forgot about it; it wasn't a big deal.

Irrelevant is what I was getting at, I guess.

Ok, that's totally fair. 

• Like 1

@shotsfired cro I like your posts, scenarios.  Someone mentioned they believe there was than the low pay off Izzy said and why Matt declined a few guest slots. Axl owns GnR name, etc and is  Duff n Slash are owners. Izzy,,my thinking, being hired staff, would have had to sign a NDA, no meetings about setlists, nothing like that. He would be treated like staff .Matt too. I have to get this book to read .

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 11:04 PM, MaskingApathy said:

So are you in Guns N’ Roses, or are you just playing with Guns N’ Roses?
Oh, that’s an interesting question. From the moment we started playing together and embarking on this journey, I would consider it being in Guns N’ Roses, not just being hired to play Guns N’ Roses songs.

So technically, legally, is it a band again?
I’m in the band — there is no contractual anything at this point. So however you want to look at it.

What can you say about the Izzy situation on this tour?
Uh, I’m not gonna go anywhere near that. I thought what he had to say about it, from what I saw – I didn’t read the whole thing – but the basic come away, I thought, was well handled.

I completely forgot about those quotes. Interesting looking back on it

Edited by Gunsdrummer63
  • Like 1

On 16. 04. 2020. at 5:11 PM, Amaya said:

@shotsfired cro I like your posts, scenarios.  Someone mentioned they believe there was than the low pay off Izzy said and why Matt declined a few guest slots. Axl owns GnR name, etc and is  Duff n Slash are owners. Izzy,,my thinking, being hired staff, would have had to sign a NDA, no meetings about setlists, nothing like that. He would be treated like staff .Matt too. I have to get this book to read .

Thnaks.   Guns N Roses is one of the most complicated bands in the world - if not the most complicated.

Apart from the partnership that is now owned by the 3, there are a million of sub contracts.

Izzy can not be viewed as a hired hand, because a side from his crative input on GNR catalogue, there are still contracts that he holds after all these years.

According to my knowlegde, Ax, Duff, Slash and Izzy are all legit owners in the company called Guns N Roses.

Of what? That I am not sure of.

Eg, how many people here are aware that in all the years he was out, Slash held rights to merch and logo?  As a sole owner!

I remember an insider once said what Izzy still owns, what Duff still owns.  I believe Iz had rights with something connected to musical aspect.  Can that have influence on eversame setlist, aside from Ax's inability to sing a lot of catalogue in 2020?  Maybe. Who knows.

From what I remember, Duff has more insight of the financial side than Axl, although Ax owns the name.  Therefore, Duff always rightfully slubbers on Izzy topic, probably also reason why Matt found 'just ticket + expensis' slot insultive.

It is such an insane spiderweb I doubt they themselvs know it by heart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

I remember an insider once said what Izzy still owns, what Duff still owns.  I believe Iz had rights with something connected to musical aspect.  Can that have influence on eversame setlist, aside from Ax's inability to sing a lot of catalogue in 2020?  Maybe. Who knows.

Relating to @shotsfired cro’s last post - Axl said in the 2008 chats that they were allowed to play whatever they wanted live, as far as he was aware, so don’t think Izzy’s royalties or ownership would have any bearing on the set list.

5 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Thnaks.   Guns N Roses is one of the most complicated bands in the world - if not the most complicated.

Apart from the partnership that is now owned by the 3, there are a million of sub contracts.

Izzy can not be viewed as a hired hand, because a side from his crative input on GNR catalogue, there are still contracts that he holds after all these years.

According to my knowlegde, Ax, Duff, Slash and Izzy are all legit owners in the company called Guns N Roses.

Of what? That I am not sure of.

Eg, how many people here are aware that in all the years he was out, Slash held rights to merch and logo?  As a sole owner!

From what I remember, Duff has more insight of the financial side than Axl, although Ax owns the name.  Therefore, Duff always rightfully slubbers on Izzy topic, probably also reason why Matt found 'just ticket + expensis' slot insultive.

It is such an insane spiderweb I doubt they themselvs know it by heart.

I’m almost certain Izzy sold his stake in the partnership. Izzy must be a super chill guy with zero tolerance for drama to leave behind his stake in GNR. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Can that have influence on eversame setlist, aside from Ax's inability to sing a lot of catalogue in 2020?  Maybe. Who knows.

I believe that the issue with the setlist would be more of a matter of not wanting to play songs easily relatable to Slash (pre reunion days), laziness and lack of vocal capability (2011 - currently). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ant said:

2016 shoulda been AFD5, no substitutes. The voice was there, the money was there, the demand was there. This interminable NITL version with the "Big Three" coulda started w/ the second leg.

Bah. 

The UYI tour was the big 3. Every filmed UYI Video that was not a live video was the big 3. Nobody cared then or now. There was never a demand for AFD5 because it was one album. It’s not like U2 whose biggest album was their 5th album or Metallica’s biggest album, which was also their fifth album. AFD was the their first album and most people don’t recall the other two. So there never was a market for an AFD5. Never. 

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2020 at 3:40 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

The UYI tour was the big 3. Every filmed UYI Video that was not a live video was the big 3. Nobody cared then or now. There was never a demand for AFD5 because it was one album. It’s not like U2 whose biggest album was their 5th album or Metallica’s biggest album, which was also their fifth album. AFD was the their first album and most people don’t recall the other two. So there never was a market for an AFD5. Never. 

I'm not saying it would have sold more tickets.

I'm saying for the band legacy, for the quality of the recordings and shows for future posterity and releases, for capitalizing on what is critically and historically acknowledged as a far superior musical outfit which has barely any material available to view from their heyday, which made that album  that you say is the only one people care about -- 2016 seems like it was the last time to do it.

It would have been worth the cost to Axl Slash and Duff to eat that higher costs for one leg of a tour. The idea that it was risky and could have fallen apart at any minute with Izzy and Steven... firstly, I don't buy it... second, WHO THE FUCK CARES -- when did Guns N' Roses become an insurance company? You think Frank and Richard wouldn’t have been willing to sit by the phone? F that.

Instead of being GNR, Slash views it as "just a gig," and despite the fact he's carrying the thing on his shoulders every night, it shows.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I’m almost certain Izzy sold his stake in the partnership. Izzy must be a super chill guy with zero tolerance for drama to leave behind his stake in GNR. 

Yes! Izzy is not part of the partnership for all we know, but he does own seeral other things within Guns N Roses company as sole owner.  ie. Slash = logo/merch.  And yes he does get paid for that, therefore, his role is still big in GNR.

Not as the 3, but a lot bigger than hired hands.

Izzy is, if you will, a member of the board. The other 3 Chairman in GNR company.  Therefore, Iz rightfully thought equal share or nothing in 2016.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1