Matt Sorum's Autobiography

1 minute ago, LunsJail said:

I would still expect someone to at least recognize their own hypocrisy there. Matt doesn’t do that in his opinions on this subject.

There's an incredible lack of self awareness by him throughout. I definitely agree with that!

17 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Fuck Axl for what he turned the band into

It all started with such promise in 2016-17.  But then he let it slip into the same creatively impotent rut that plagued the band from 2011-14. Such a bummer all around. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

It all started with such promise in 2016-17.  But then he let it slip into the same creatively impotent rut that plagued the band from 2011-14. Such a bummer all around. 

they're working on it now at least? with all of Axl's tinkering I imagine he wants to complete the work and release it. With Slash and Duff it might be enough to provide the required motivation and confidence to see it through.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rovim said:

they're working on it now at least? with all of Axl's tinkering I imagine he wants to complete the work and release it. With Slash and Duff it might be enough to provide the required motivation and confidence to see it through.

Yeah but it's taking way too long.

19 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah but it's taking way too long.

they were busy doing a victory lap. They probably understood that there was enough of a demand to really cash in and do it in style while also enjoying it with not too much work or risk, at least not as much as what they must face in the studio. Now without a possibility to tour for at least this year I think it's a good set of conditions for them to get this thing going.

if Axl manages to release an album before he's 60 that will be a win in my book. Having said that, the fact he only released 1 album in almost 30 years never leaves my mind but on the other hand, what's done is done. Doesn't mean he won't succeed this time.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

He said Slash was the snake, but still joined with him im VR. He badmouthed Axl all the time and still wanted to be a part of GNR engine. I don't get this guy, honestly. Is he a hypocrite?  Is he honest? Damn right.  

Edited by Zinia_29
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zinia_29 said:

He said Slash was the snake, but still joined with him im VR. He badmouthed Axl all the time and still wanted to be a part of GNR engine. I don't get this guy, honestly. Is he a hypocrite?  Is he honest? Damn right.  

He's just a rockstar. They're all douchebags in their own way at one time or another. It's just a case of pick your poison! :lol:

• Like 3

I think it's fairly obvious that anyone who's ever been in GNR outside of Ron & Izzy will just say whatever benefits them the most in that moment. 

When Slash & Duff used to need to drum up interest in things they were up to, they'd give a sensational quote about Axl. Axl would do the same with their names when he was deumming up attention for later GNR line ups. 

Matt's just playing that same game is all. 

• Like 3

Slash & Duff just did a guest spot on the Cherie Currie album Matt produced & he’s been posting videos of the 3 of them. 

Don’t think it’s cool that he’s put that comment about Frank. Frank is a cool guy, lovely to fans & he’s not a bad drummer at all.

Edited by reayj2003
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, James Bond said:

For all my current criticisms of this band, Frank is not one of them. Not that I want to turn this into a Frank thread, but seriously, am I the only person besides the ginger who likes the guy?

I like him, he’s a good drummer but naturally very different in style to Steven & Matt. I think he’s trying more to replicate the sound since the return of Slash & Duff. 
His drumming on Dizzy’s solo album, Dead Dasies, The Compulsions & PSSR is really solid.

Check out “busted” by Pssr if you haven’t already. Great tune and also features Fortus.

Also credit to him for doing 3 hour shows.

Edited by reayj2003
  • Like 2

I Haven’t read the book, but from the pieces posted and summarized in the thread, it seems he’s written the book because the bridges were already burned. 

Should be juicy, written in anger and with no worries regarding future relations with the rest of em. 

I don’t hate Frank as a person, but any manner of spinal tap type reason he could disappear from that drum stool would be appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On listening to some late 2000’s stuff, Frank sounds pretty damn good to me and better than times he has since Duff and Slash have been back. Clearly it’s taken time to ‘lock in’ but I’d say they have for a while now.

Maybe Duff didn’t rate him in 2015? I do doubt he would be so scathing in those words but could be wrong right enough.

Dunno if you guys know but the first track "Mr. X" of the new Cherie Curry's album, is one of the demos from Velvet Revolver, from when they were searching for a new singer. The instrumental track I mean. 

To be honest, I liked the auditioned singer's version much more:

Edited by Propaganda
  • Thanks 1

When matts book officially hits the shelfs,if the content of the book around the NITL tour is still the same,im sure the other media sites will start creating posts about some of the content.will be interesting if this changes the dynamic between the big 3 in GNR.....

13 hours ago, adamwolff11 said:

Sure.. so he has an entire chapter on it. He speaks very freely and openly, which is refreshing considering Axl doesn't talk and Duff/Slash couldn't say less in interviews anymore. Here are some quotes/details:

- No specific quote, but he met with Duff in 2015 and Duff said that 'the three partners were talking' referring to him, Slash, and Axl. But he said it was just their lawyers talking. Matt asked him to tell him before he read it online if anything was actually going to happen.

- Matt said Duff was avoiding him once news broke about the reunion. When he talked to him, Duff said 'Well, Axl wants to use his drummer. But the guy can't even play the drums. I've gotta talk to Axl and say I really can't play with this guy'.

- Fernando reached out to him and said 'Hey there bud. How are you? Just reaching out to see how your schedule is looking. Wondering if you're interested in joining the band on a few shows and a few songs. Let me know.' Travel expenses were offered but no money.

- He met with Duff after the reunion had begun and told Duff he had begun hanging out with Izzy again. Duff said 'Fuck Izzy!'. Sorum said 'Well, Izzy says fuck you too'. 

His closing comments on the reunion (after his last meeting with Duff):

What I do know for sure is that our friendship wasn't the only thing that had ended - our twenty-eight year musical partnership was over too. I wouldn't be able to call him or Slash and ask if they wanted to play with me. The GNR machine had taken them back. I knew I wouldn't be able to rely on those guys any longer. For the first time, I felt completely on my own.

those shitheads really don’t like drummers do they

2 hours ago, Propaganda said:

Dunno if you guys know but the first track "Mr. X" of the new Cherie Curry's album, is one of the demos from Velvet Revolver, from when they were searching for a new singer. The instrumental track I mean. 

To be honest, I liked the auditioned singer's version much more:

I actually like her take on it better. That demo is floating around on YouTube with other people singing on it and most of those aren't very good.

23 hours ago, adamwolff11 said:

Sure.. so he has an entire chapter on it. He speaks very freely and openly, which is refreshing considering Axl doesn't talk and Duff/Slash couldn't say less in interviews anymore. Here are some quotes/details:

- No specific quote, but he met with Duff in 2015 and Duff said that 'the three partners were talking' referring to him, Slash, and Axl. But he said it was just their lawyers talking. Matt asked him to tell him before he read it online if anything was actually going to happen.

- Matt said Duff was avoiding him once news broke about the reunion. When he talked to him, Duff said 'Well, Axl wants to use his drummer. But the guy can't even play the drums. I've gotta talk to Axl and say I really can't play with this guy'.

- Fernando reached out to him and said 'Hey there bud. How are you? Just reaching out to see how your schedule is looking. Wondering if you're interested in joining the band on a few shows and a few songs. Let me know.' Travel expenses were offered but no money.

- He met with Duff after the reunion had begun and told Duff he had begun hanging out with Izzy again. Duff said 'Fuck Izzy!'. Sorum said 'Well, Izzy says fuck you too'. 

His closing comments on the reunion (after his last meeting with Duff):

What I do know for sure is that our friendship wasn't the only thing that had ended - our twenty-eight year musical partnership was over too. I wouldn't be able to call him or Slash and ask if they wanted to play with me. The GNR machine had taken them back. I knew I wouldn't be able to rely on those guys any longer. For the first time, I felt completely on my own.

Thanks for the summary. Cool to hear the details.

Seems like Sorum is angry at not getting a piece of the pie.

I'd imagine points 1,3 & 4 are mostly true. And when/if Duff said 'fuck Izzy' that will have been after their relationship was damaged by the whole issue with money.

Makes sense Sorum would want a fee for turning up to a show (I do feel their treatment of Steven was a bit exploitative) but let's face it, no one is wearing a Sorum t-shirt. Steven was a much bigger deal due to being one of the afd 5.

Point 2 just sounds like huge exaggeration on Matt's part. Duff already played with Frank a bunch in 2014. Doesn't scan that he would suddenly have a problem with him.

Just a shame they guys can't put the money behind them, they've all made more than enough. I'd love to see a new tour put together(even with the current lineup) but with guest appearances from Izzy, Steven and hell even buckethead.