Matt Sorum's Autobiography

1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Brando is interviewing him next week. This should be interesting

Cool - we HAVE to ask about the mid 90s material. This could be a great opportunity to get info about it.

@Gambit83 - apologies if you don’t normally do this (take question requests) but if it would be GREAT if you could ask him about the mid-90’s sessions (what tracks were pretty much done/how many/names of stuff/style of the music).

I know loads of us would be super appreciative if you could ask as this era for the band is so patchy regarding what was done in the studio and stuff in general.

Appreciate your work. 👍

Just now, DTJ80 said:

@Gambit83 - apologies if you don’t normally do this (take question requests) but if it would be GREAT if you could ask him about the mid-90’s sessions (what tracks were pretty much done/how many/names of stuff/style of the music).

I know loads of us would be super appreciative if you could ask as this era for the band is so patchy regarding what was done in the studio and stuff in general.

Appreciate your work. 👍

I always welcome questions. Sometimes I even rely heavily on them. So I don't overhype, it'll probably be a 20-25 minute interview and I will need to discuss the new Cherie Currie album that he produced. I actually have an interview with her too beforehand. So it's a time/see-how-it-goes approach in my head. Though I am looking at questions submitted regardless.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Appreciate your work. 👍

20 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

I always welcome questions. Sometimes I even rely heavily on them. So I don't overhype, it'll probably be a 20-25 minute interview and I will need to discuss the new Cherie Currie album that he produced. I actually have an interview with her too beforehand. So it's a time/see-how-it-goes approach in my head. Though I am looking at questions submitted regardless.

Maybe (if the flow of the conversation allows question about GnR, of course) it would be better to ask him more specific questions about the mid-90s sessions, because otherwise he might give a vague answer. 

So here is a question: Does he remember if GnR was working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie in 1996? What happened with that? Was the song completed? (Then, if he says he remembers something, maybe you could tell him about a song called Hardschool that has leaked and its potential relation to the Jackie Chan song. :lol:)

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

15 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

wow Brando, that's really great that you have Matt on.  

here are a few questions that shouldnt ruffle any GNR feathers and probably arent covered in the book:

1.  was VR done after Scott got canned?  I know they recorded a bit with Croey Taylor, but how serious were they about keeping the band going?

2.  what's the real story with hiring Scott?  he was a great front man but I think many felt he wasnt suited for GNR music backing him.  did the record company force the guys to hire Scott?  what's the real story?

3.  what's next in regards to music for Matt?  any chance he would record with guys with GNR ties like Rod Jackson, Izzy or Buckethead?   I realize he might now know all of them but I'd bet GNR fans would be interested while they wait for GNRs supposed new album.  

4. last one, and i bet i am the only one interested in the answer (this includes Matt, lol).  back around 2007 Matt had a clothing line called Sorum Noche which had a store in LA.  I think the great recession is what made it close prematurely.  Any plans to bring his clothing line back?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:01 AM, sofine11 said:

It all started with such promise in 2016-17.  But then he let it slip into the same creatively impotent rut that plagued the band from 2011-14. Such a bummer all around. 

Yup. 2016 was awesome. Best year to be into GNR since I started liking them in like 2006 or so. 2017 was acceptable but the fan fatigue was already setting in on top of Axl's deteriorating singing. It is unfathomable but also unsurprising that they are still essentially on the same tour in 2020. It shows there won't be new material. Its about the $$$. Slash and Duff were willing to just join NuGNR for it.

It is what it is. Axl has shown for decades now that he has nothing to say or cares to be an artist that releases actual art. I doubt he would have released anything without Slash or Duff anyways so at least there is some authenticity now, even if it is pretty soulless and corporate. I am glad I saw the 3 of them play together, its like an ending of the band. I doubt most KISS fans who saw them reunited in the 90s care too much if they do it again. I feel that way with GNR. Anything else is whatever because I for what I was going to get.

Its lame but whatever now

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, James Bond said:

For all my current criticisms of this band, Frank is not one of them. Not that I want to turn this into a Frank thread, but seriously, am I the only person besides the ginger who likes the guy?

I don't mind him at all.

3 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Cool mate - appreciate it and totally get the flow etc will dictate the conversation.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe (if the flow of the conversation allows question about GnR, of course) it would be better to ask him more specific questions about the mid-90s sessions, because otherwise he might give a vague answer. 

So here is a question: Does he remember if GnR was working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie in 1996? What happened with that? Was the song completed? (Then, if he says he remembers something, maybe you could tell him about a song called Hardschool that has leaked and its potential relation to the Jackie Chan song. :lol:)

Yeah maybe your right - just any info would be great. I’m sure Matt has mentioned before there was a fair bit of material but that’s all we really know!

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 11:20 AM, James Bond said:

For all my current criticisms of this band, Frank is not one of them. Not that I want to turn this into a Frank thread, but seriously, am I the only person besides the ginger who likes the guy?

I think that the amount of hate he gets is definitely a bit hyperbolic at times.  He isn't my favorite GNR drummer and I would take Sorum back in a heartbreat, but to me Frank is nowhere near as bad of a drummer for GNR as DJ was as a guitar player lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

I want to know if he’ll ever finish and release the full album for Deadland Ritual. They showed so much promise with the two songs they put out.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

hey Brando, I'd have a few...

- any chance of Neurotic Outsiders reissue?  was an reunion and a follow up ever an issue or could be an issue?

- VR - were there any completed songs that hadn't made the albums?

- does he talk with Slash or Duff? when was the last time he did?

- if Fernando reached out to him, why does in his opinion Ax insist on 'his drummer'?

- when was the last time he spoke to Ax?

- was there ever TSI tour planned?

- when was the last time he spoke to Iz? is Iz still in speaking terms with Slash?

that's about it ;)

btw, I really like that Circus Diablo record he produced

• Like 3

On 5/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, Chester 524 said:

2.  what's the real story with hiring Scott?  he was a great front man but I think many felt he wasnt suited for GNR music backing him.  did the record company force the guys to hire Scott?  what's the real story?

From that VR documentary it seemed pretty clear Matt was one of the ones pulling for Scott the most. He wanted someone with star power and was really uninspired by the all no-name tapes and auditions. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

- any chance of Neurotic Outsiders reissue?  was an reunion and a follow up ever an issue or could be an issue?

- if Fernando reached out to him, why does in his opinion Ax insist on 'his drummer'?

- when was the last time he spoke to Iz? is Iz still in speaking terms with Slash?

that's about it ;)

Those are great questions. To go along with the Slash and Duff question can you ask him if anything has changed in their relationship in the last four years? Like maybe they're on better terms now?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

that's about it ;)

great questions.  I was a huge neurotic outsiders fan. 

• Like 2

On 01/05/2020 at 3:20 PM, James Bond said:

I’m sure that Frank must be a nice guy to hang out with, keeps it to himself and that’s probably why Axl keeps him around. But his awful snare sound (that’s more of my take, don’t remember seeing anyone complaining about this) and his take on the songs like adding unnecessary fills on the classics and fucking up the tempo, are the reasons he gets so much hate. 
In my opinion, if they didn’t want Matt taking part, they should’ve asked Brain to join. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

I’m sure that Frank must be a nice guy to hang out with, keeps it to himself and that’s probably why Axl keeps him around. But his awful snare sound (that’s more of my take, don’t remember seeing anyone complaining about this) and his take on the songs like adding unnecessary fills on the classics and fucking up the tempo, are the reasons he gets so much hate. 
In my opinion, if they didn’t want Matt taking part, they should’ve asked Brain to join. 

To be honest id even have taylor hawkins drumming at the point, mainly for his energetic drumming. Him and adler just have that energetic style. The unnecessary fills i agree with. 

Frank probably comes across as personable and a nice guy,  but knows theres no way he would be drumming for another band for the money hes being paid in GNR. Like dizzy no way would frank make waves in the band. Just shutup and play and keep to yourself.

Is there a reason why brain and freese wouldnt get asked to play or have joined?.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ant said:

From that VR documentary it seemed pretty clear Matt was one of the ones pulling for Scott the most. He wanted someone with star power and was really uninspired by the all no-name tapes and auditions. 

Yup pretty much .  Matt was has always been more open to artsy more progressive rock. Like Nine inch nails, Robin Finck, Smashing Pumpkins. Matt & Scott  got to know each other in rehab. They were in there at the same around 2000. Dave Kushner and Scott were friendly and always had a mutual respect for each other from playing the clubs together back in the late 80’s.

Slash & Duff on the other hand were holding out hope that they would unmask the next a diamond in the rough frontman phenom. The next Axl basically. 

Slash said they we’re looking for a charismatic performer with a big voice like a Billy Idol. Slash admitted he was not a big fan of STP or Scott in subsequent interviews. 

Scott certainly wasn’t forced on them by the record label as they weren’t signed to RCA yet. Most likely they were made aware of Scott’s potential availability by some  record executives as it became apparent to everyone the next big star was not walking through the door.

So The Project sent Scott some demos to sing on which he initially declined because according to Scott the songs sounded too much like Bad Company and outdated.

Months went by as The Project continued their search to no avail so they reworked the songs they had so that they would be more appealing  to Scott. 

That’s when Izzy checked out. Izzy wanted to split lead vocals with duff as he had no interest in working with another stereotypical diva high maintenance type frontman again. Especially one with Scott’s drug riddled past.

Funny thing is if you go back to 2002-2004 and referred to the birth of VR as a huge money grab with the fusion of  2 huge fanbases GNR & STP.  I would’ve vehemently argued against it.
I’d love to take them at their word that there was magic at the Randy Castillo show that evening when the 4 of them played again as a unit for the first time in a long time. And as they put it “they had to do something together, it just felt right.” Knowing what we now know, I’m not so sure. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the #1 overwhelmingly driving factor was the “Loot” all along.

• Like 1

I can maybe see getting 1 somewhat meaty GNR question in. With the other 20mins or so promoting current projects.
But here are the questions I like and would  love to have him answer:

#1 Any truth to the 2006 rumor that he and Axl hung out after running into each other? Was it a mutually positive reconciliation in his opinion?

#2 In his opinion what is the reason behind  the drastic change in Axl’s voice and vocal approach on stage and in the studio.  

I’m not sure if he’s legally allowed to disclose it but, 
#3 Matt said Slash screwed him out of royalty credit from UYI . What particular song and what part in the arrangement was his?

4) is it true he demanded more screen time on VR’s music videos - Arlette   

5) Does he agree with the notion that most gnr fans buy tickets to see Axl & Slash on stage together and the other members are interchangeable.  As their names are not recognized by the fans in attendance.

• Like 1

Some good questions based on what he wrote in his book, but let's not forget that the book hasn't been officially released. The reason we're discussing it here is because it was released by accident on Amazon for one day and few people got lucky and read it (and some of them have been kind enough to inform the rest of us). Maybe it wouldn't be appropriate to ask him questions about the content of a book that hasn't been released yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

I do agree about his snare. They use way too much compression on it live. Not sure if that's a Frank request or just something that the house guys have decided on it for it. It loses all his ghost notes. Something like Estranged really suffers when all the snare work sounds like a machine gun.