Gibbo

Matt Sorum's Autobiography

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Have you read the excerpt from Matt's book?

I know it's not new and I already knew GnR did it, but Matt's particular "system" and the way he brags about it are disgusting - and kind of hilarious at the same time, only because Matt comes across as a big douche.

Slash never said anything along these lines, as far as I know. He said that Beggars... was Eric Dover's tryout song and he wrote the lyrics, and that Slash and Dover co-wrote most of the lyrics on Snakepit. Later Slash would say that a lot of the Snakepit lyrics were his and Dover was used as a "filter". 

I guess blackstar sorum doesnt understand the saying what goes on tour stays on tour.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think you're reading too much into it.

Guns N' Roses not updating their social/official media often is nothing new, it's been kind of the "norm" for a very long time, and long before TB took over.

I've been looking in the archived pages of the old site, gnronline.com, and it was very rarely updated until 2008, when CD was released and Universal kind of took it over.

This ^

a bit far fetched that one has something to do with the other. sorum's book doesn't have that much impact, i guess. When it comes to the well oiled GnR business machine, not even the "juiciest book" (Matt's words🙄) will have the power to stop it.

So, no power to Matt's revenge , and that's what i think it is/should have been.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think you're reading too much into it.

Guns N' Roses not updating their social/official media often is nothing new, it's been kind of the "norm" for a very long time, and long before TB took over.

I've been looking in the archived pages of the old site, gnronline.com, and it was very rarely updated until 2008, when CD was released and Universal kind of took it over.

I don’t want to make it a full on social media discussion, even though I sort of painted it that way. I know that may have been the norm before, but social media and the way its been engrained into our lives has totally changed compared to pre-2008, as shown with the #blackouttuesday post. I dont think twitter got big until 2009-2010. Instagram 2012. Facebook was big in 2008, but Bands weren’t using it as a promotion tool the way we know now until 2010 at the earliest. It was sort of like a myspace/wikipedia mashup before people realized “oh, i can actually promote my shit on here”. Fernando took the helm in 2010, and before that you had a man of a different generation who probably had no idea about ‘social media’ at the time. Look at any other band of GNR’s caliber and then look at their socials. The difference is astounding.

but maybe your right, and if theres nothing there to promote or talk about, theres nothing there:shrugs:

4 minutes ago, EricA said:

This ^

a bit far fetched that one has something to do with the other. sorum's book doesn't have that much impact, i guess. When it comes to the well oiled GnR business machine, not even the "juiciest book" (Matt's words🙄) will have the power to stop it.

So, no power to Matt's revenge , and that's what i think it is/should have been.

My point wasn’t “matt has now blocked GNR from talking completely.” Just that Fernando may have had to deal with putting a stop to this book the last couple of weeks, so thats why theres been radio silence on the bands part 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

My point wasn’t “matt has now blocked GNR from talking completely.” Just that Fernando may have had to deal with putting a stop to this book the last couple of weeks, so thats why theres been radio silence on the bands part 

From Matt Wake's tweet about the cancellation of the book, it seems that journalists got an advance copy of the book long ago, i.e. before April and before the release was postponed to July. So the band must have also been made aware of the content long ago through the journalists who had advance copies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

It was reported in some magazine in the early 90s that Stephanie made a move on Slash while she was with Axl. Never knew whether that was true or not but it's certainly consistent with what Matt is telling us now.

You sure about that?  I read every scrap of GNR news I could find voraciously in the 90s (still do) and I never heard anything like that.

There were some very obvious and fake fan speculation threads that the reason the band broke up was cause Axl found out about Slash and Stephanie...maybe you're thinking of that?

(I would know cause I'm the one that made it up and posted it here years ago for a laugh.....it was promptly deleted.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

You sure about that?  I read every scrap of GNR news I could find voraciously in the 90s (still do) and I never heard anything like that.

There were some very obvious and fake fan speculation threads that the reason the band broke up was cause Axl found out about Slash and Stephanie...maybe you're thinking of that?

(I would know cause I'm the one that made it up and posted it here years ago for a laugh.....it was promptly deleted.)

Yes, I'm sure. It was reported in some music or gossip magazine in the early 90s. I don't think they cited any source so that's why I was skeptical.

19 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

If there really would have been an affair between Slash and Steph, it would explain everything, but i really doubt that this happened, cause no one within the band ever mentioned it and Slash was so drunk at that time that i can't see any vibes between her and Slash.

Slash and Steph a affair? Narr. Maybe they are getting Steve Adler and Erin Everly mixed up.

What seems certain is that Slash (as well as most people in the camp) didn't like Stephanie at all.

Slash, busy promoting his sideline band Snakepit, confirmed that Guns’ inactivity is a result of Rose and his legal wrangles with his former model girlfriend, Stephanie Seymour. “I knew she was bad news to start with,” Slash said. [The Sydney Morning Herald, Feb. 12, 1995]

• Like 2

Is there any evidence this was blocked and not just pulled, because someone suggested the girl system ect. might get him in trouble?

...Or maybe the publishers felt that it's structured more like a lengthy blog than a book despite it's promotion?

Also I doubt the Matt/Stephanie thing happened, just like Matt's account of the Duff meeting (where Duff buries Frank and Izzy) happened. Seems to me designed to cause tension in the band. His ego shines through alot and it's ultra bitter by the end. 

Matt's always being done hard, be it... Axl, Slash, Duff, Scott (doesn't even mention Scott passing). 

You'd think by the end that Matt wrote the uyi tracks (that he didn't get and thought were too long), was responsible for Snakepit and VR.

• Haha 1

Disappointing if this is true, though Slash could have just been saying this to spare Sorum's feelings on the matter. 

image.png.b5a828324d9c598e4fdea59a7df5797f.png

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Disappointing if this is true, though Slash could have just been saying this to spare Sorum's feelings on the matter. 

not good for the idear of a new album !!!!

5 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

not good for the idear of a new album !!!!

It was always for a big payday and he'll be content doing his records with the Kevin Bacon lad.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

As far as I know, this is just fan speculation, never verified.

Please....

look at the guy. He looks like a strung out coke head. 

Why has there always been this belief that Axl never did drugs? 

If any of you have ever tried drugs or been around anyone who has used or abused them, take one look at Axl and there’s no doubt. 

11 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Why has there always been this belief that Axl never did drugs? 

I don't think there has been such belief. What has been said by everyone who has known Axl is that he was never addicted to drugs, which is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think there has been such belief. What has been said by everyone who has known Axl is that he was never addicted to drugs, which is different.

Yup, always knew he did drugs, but I thought by the illusions tour it was down to weed and coke. I thought his dalliances with smack were over by 88-89. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Yup, always knew he did drugs, but I thought by the illusions tour it was down to weed and coke. I thought his dalliances with smack were over by 88-89. 

It doesn't seem that stuff was exactly smack though. It was raw (non synthetic) opium and it seems Axl dug that particularly.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

But he is dying to join the band...isn't it? If he not operate that way why the demand to be there?

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

A part that I found interesting is when Matt offers an explanation on why Axl wanted to take control of the band, saying it had to do with Slash disappearing to play with Michael Jackson and other people and that Axl was kind of right to be pissed off about that. 

Which doesn't make any sense at all, but whatever.

3 hours ago, timkerr37 said:

And the fact that we have not heard about any European tour dates being re-scheduled yet.

Right. Because you can only do one thing at a time and everything is done by Fernando. :facepalm: :rolleyes: Geez. Assumptions are strong in the fan world.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

It doesn't seem that stuff was exactly smack though. It was raw (non synthetic) opium and it seems Axl dug that particularly.

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

Axl sympathizers have maintained for years he never did drugs. But we’re splitting hairs here. 

In sorums book, he talks about a brick of heroin... 

Around this time, I got hold of a giant block of heroin. I discovered that I had it after one of the gigs, but I didn’t remember how I actually got my hands on it. It was a huge lump, the size of an extra-large Hershey’s bar, and it was pure opium. As I tried it on the plane one day, Axl noticed the smell. Slash loved heroin, so he was already with me. Duff was too, though he was sticking to his coco puffs—cigarettes in which the tobacco had been mixed with coke. Axl came over to join us. We had a piece of tinfoil and held a lighter beneath it, using a straw to inhale the smoke. It made us feel kind of calm and happy, and we decided to meet up the next day to do more of the same. This time we were in Axl’s hotel room, sitting in a circle on the floor and basically passing the piece of tinfoil around.
We were really chipping away at the block, but the thing about heroin is that it’s really addictive. A few days later, Axl called me. “Do you have any more of that shit? Would you come over?” I went to his room, and we spent the whole night talking. The bar of heroin lasted a few weeks, and since Axl was digging it, I managed to become really close with him. It didn’t affect his voice or anything, and we were getting along great. Or we were until he called me up one day, and asked, “Are we out?” “Yeah, I’m out.” He hung up on me without saying good-bye or anything. And that was it, the end of our bonding session. We went from being best pals—albeit with a friendship based on drugs—to me not being his buddy anymore.:"