Matt Sorum's Autobiography

31 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I can believe that Slash and Duff spent a LOT of time rehearsing with Frank. I also don't think the click track is just there to sync with the video screens.

He's been using a click track since at least 2009 though, probably since 2006. It's weird to listen to the songs from that era, if you listen to the 2011 pro-shots for example, especially a song like Paradise City, it sounds like it's in slow-motion. A song like Estranged still had unnecessary fills but at least it didn't sound rushed.

When Slash and Duff increased the tempos, he should've stopped doing all the unnecessary fills and accents, but he didn't, and it sounded like a mess at times. It's really weird that they apparently spent so much time rehearsing with Frank, only for him to end up sounding worse. I've been saying it since 2016, but he really sounded too much like a 'metal' drummer, instead of a classic rock drummer. He's definitely gotten better since 2016 but his sound and style can still be distracting.

40 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Technically he isn't bad. He just lacks any groove or feel.

Ah that's not true. In GNR he was so stiff in comparison to Adler that it was just a complete shock to the system. 

You can't listen to Slither or Fall to pieces and say they aren't played brilliantly! There's a lot of examples of him playing well, and even with GNR there's more good than bad. In my opinion the worst part about Matts drumming on UYI was the drum sound, and I highly doubt he had final say on that.

Was it like "collect 20 crisp packets and become GN'R drummer"? 😂😂😂

What was the deal again?

He was meant to be a temporary sub for Brain whilst his missus at the time had a kid. Just turned into a permanent thing though. I'm sure I'd read that he was actually Brain's drum tech prior to taking his place.

To make you laugh, I:lol: hope.  I hope to not get me banned  Forgive me for being  kind of qurantined with too much time on my hands today. etc. I cannot watch that tv news for my sanity.   To bring it back to Matt's book.   Since he is the latest band member or former band member and will never be a band member again who has written his book, we have a nice list of GnR books .  Fernando wrote his children's book for GnR fans buy it up as latest, wonderful GnR merchandise at GnR official site  . I think Matt's, Steven's books should be on sale at GnR official site since they were ,at least,  by GnR members.                                                                                                                                                                    Here are some other books on sale  by GnR.. ) The Spaghetti Incident. A vegan- vegetarian cookbook by GnR drummers Matt Sorum and Steven Adler 2) Patience by Duff and Susan McKagen. How to keep communication rocking in a    successful  marriage.  3) Dont Cry in the Novembet Rain by Perla Hudson  A woman's journey of how to get a gotdammm good divorce settlement tor life.    4) Mama Kin by Beta Lebis. A true American immigrant sucess story of a Mama and her kin folk.   5) Out Ta Get Me by Izzy Stradlin. His one-  page book about fans trying to know about him. 6) Nightrain by Gilby Clark. Remarkable story of fan favorite and talented guitarist coming in like  a nightrain to join GnR and before he or anyone knew it,  going out like a frieghtrain.                                                                 For Axl's book,  ya'll  please add  what you think his book is titled while I edit for typos and spacing. 

Edited by Amaya
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He's been using a click track since at least 2009 though, probably since 2006. It's weird to listen to the songs from that era, if you listen to the 2011 pro-shots for example, especially a song like Paradise City, it sounds like it's in slow-motion. A song like Estranged still had unnecessary fills but at least it didn't sound rushed.

When Slash and Duff increased the tempos, he should've stopped doing all the unnecessary fills and accents, but he didn't, and it sounded like a mess at times. It's really weird that they apparently spent so much time rehearsing with Frank, only for him to end up sounding worse. I've been saying it since 2016, but he really sounded too much like a 'metal' drummer, instead of a classic rock drummer. He's definitely gotten better since 2016 but his sound and style can still be distracting.

Yeah, had they left him to himself he would have played with them naturally, but they basically told him how they wanted him to play and made it a complete mess of things. I much preferred him when he was just playing how he wanted, the current Frank sounds nothing like 2006-2014. 

Certain AFD songs from the CD era did sound weird like it's so easy which is so clearly not a song to be on a click to. The whole tempo changes completely a number of times in the original track... unintentionally mostly I may add :P 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

Was it like "collect 20 crisp packets and become GN'R drummer"? 😂😂😂

What was the deal again?

He was meant to be a temporary sub for Brain whilst his missus at the time had a kid. Just turned into a permanent thing though. I'm sure I'd read that he was actually Brain's drum tech prior to taking his place.

He wasn't his tech.

He knew Brain and Richard and maybe some others, and that's how he got the call when Brain needed to leave 'we need someone dependable that can get the job done in short notice'. He stayed on because Axl liked him and Brain was kinda himming and hawing about coming back and eventually just said he wanted to stay at home. 

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yeah, I was just emphasising that he appears to have trouble staying on the beat in that video so the click track probably helps him with that.

What you mentioned there is a problem with a lot of conventional session players. I saw Black Sabbath with Tommy Clufetos and I thought he was a terrible fit. Technically he's excellent but his playing was far too slick and technical (the former is not really a word I would use for Frank).

Matt Sorum has a big mouth but I can see why he is so frustrated. I doubt he could have kept his mouth shut but in a musical sense he would have strolled the tour since 2016.

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He wasn't his tech.

He knew Brain and Richard and maybe some others, and that's how he got the call when Brain needed to leave 'we need someone dependable that can get the job done in short notice'. He stayed on because Axl liked him and Brain was kinda himming and hawing about coming back and eventually just said he wanted to stay at home. 

One of the reasons he stands out so much is that he's following Matt Sorum, Josh Freese, and Bryan Mantia. They're three of the best drummers in the world. 

I like we , you all  can agree Matt is a great  drummer  and, but , for GnR rock n roll style.  He knew AFD and was in all of the making of UYI.   Has he drummed in other styles? I am going google what is a click drum whatever drum click.  Some of us ( me :question:)  just like the music , but dont' know music. Instruments. 

Edited by Amaya

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I can believe that Slash and Duff spent a LOT of time rehearsing with Frank. I also don't think the click track is just there to sync with the video screens.

Click tracks aren't a bad thing, like if you can have time / feel and with a click track that actually says that you're a tight player... not the opposite, are suggesting it's a bad thing? Many of the worlds most renowned players use them live. 

Clicks are there when there's time based effects / samples being used, like a lot of the CD era music... or they are used because the band has worked out in rehearsal that x song sounds great at 117bpm... it can also be there to keep a rowdy drummer or guitarist from going off the rails.

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Click tracks aren't a bad thing, like if you can have time / feel and with a click track that actually says that you're a tight player... not the opposite, are suggesting it's a bad thing? Many of the worlds most renowned players use them live. 

Clicks are there when there's time based effects / samples being used, like a lot of the CD era music... or they are used because the band has worked out in rehearsal that x song sounds great at 117bpm... it can also be there to keep a rowdy drummer or guitarist from going off the rails.

Sure, but given his limitations it's an interesting question. Also, I mentioned Black Sabbath earlier - Brad Wilk didn't play to a click track on 13.

Just now, Ant said:

Drums are one of the VR highlights -- lotta cool stuff going on. 

Man they need to remaster Contraband, speaking of. It's been almost two decades... (WAIT WHAT?).... that brick-walled sound is just brutal. 

Yeah it's a very dated mix, very of its time! I know I was still in school when that came out, a long time ago!

19 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

One of the reasons he stands out so much is that he's following Matt Sorum, Josh Freese, and Bryan Mantia. They're three of the best drummers in the world. 

I should mention here that Steven is Steven and he just has that iconic sound. I loved the reunion appearances he made a few years back. They seemed to really fire up Axl too which was interesting.

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah it's a very dated mix, very of its time! I know I was still in school when that came out, a long time ago!

It's an Andy Wallace mix, the same as Chinese Democracy. Perhaps the mastering is the problem.

Just now, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Sure, but given his limitations it's an interesting question. Also, I mentioned Black Sabbath earlier - Brad Wilk didn't play to a click track on 13.

There isn't a rule for using or not using one, Brad didn't use one because they didn't want that type of 'on the grid' record, it was supposed to be loose like the early records. Tommy who did the live stuff I 100% agree, with what you said I think he's a total metal drummer, hit hard and play fast. I don't enjoy him, Mike Bordin on the other hand was great!

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

There isn't a rule for using or not using one, Brad didn't use one because they didn't want that type of 'on the grid' record, it was supposed to be loose like the early records. Tommy who did the live stuff I 100% agree, with what you said I think he's a total metal drummer, hit hard and play fast. I don't enjoy him, Mike Bordin on the other hand was great!

I loved Bordin with Ozzy and Zakk and Rob - that was a fantastic unit.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I loved Bordin with Ozzy and Zakk and Rob - that was a fantastic unit.

That was a good band, Blasko has been grand too! Wasn't a big fan of the band after Zakk... but then again, I wasn't really enjoying Zakk either with the stupidly long solos, crap guitar sound and over use of pinched harmonics... not sure how someone get's worse as they age, when they play every day! but he nailed it :D 

40 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He wasn't his tech.

Richard & Frank collaborated many times before GNR, they were even both in the Psychedelic Furs together for a bit. I’m pretty sure that’s how he got the gig.

I like Frank just fine, would I prefer Sorum, Adler or Brain? Of course but I kind of accepted Frank as part of the reunion deal from the get-go And moved on. Probably a controversial opinion cuz everybody seems to love him but I’d rather have Frank than Freese.

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Drums are one of the VR highlights -- lotta cool stuff going on. 

Man they need to remaster Contraband, speaking of. It's been almost two decades... (WAIT WHAT?).... that brick-walled sound is just brutal. Everything is getting remastered nowadays... TOSS IT ON THE PILE.

I dunno why, but to my ears Sorum had a crap drum sound live with Guns.... He sounded way less leaden or heavy handed on the VR stuff, his drum sound live was great on those VR tours..... Anyone else get that?

It's pretty obvious the answer is no or it would've come up by now but is there any mention of the thing about how he was supposed to be guest drumming for a week on Kimmel or Fallon coinciding with the reunion announcement and he abruptly cancelled with no explanation?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I'm surprised how uninterested everyone seems in the session for Hard School with Rick Rubin. This was something that would've represented a really cool next step for Guns N Roses. Rubin could potentially have been really good at managing Axl emotionally, he's interested in classic and hard rock without being keen on reproducing cheesy cliches, he would've encouraged them to play stripped back as a band in a room, but he isn't against tasteful additions of piano, percussion, or orchestras. This feels like a lost opportunity.

Also, until quite far into the first decade of this century Axl had a really good record for choosing collaborators. It went south pretty fast with the likes of DJ Ashba and Frank, and even Bumblefoot was a pretty bad fit in some ways. Frank seems like a lovely guy but this is shambolic:

You obviously dont have rythym :P