Matt Sorum's Autobiography

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He wasn't his tech.

He knew Brain and Richard and maybe some others, and that's how he got the call when Brain needed to leave 'we need someone dependable that can get the job done in short notice'. He stayed on because Axl liked him and Brain was kinda himming and hawing about coming back and eventually just said he wanted to stay at home. 

He played with Richard since the 90s. He has a really good groove in Love Spit Love

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

I dunno why, but to my ears Sorum had a crap drum sound live with Guns.... He sounded way less leaden or heavy handed on the VR stuff, his drum sound live was great on those VR tours..... Anyone else get that?

I agree. His sound in GnR (both live and on the albums) was just way too “stiff” or something. Can’t quite explain it.

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

I dunno why, but to my ears Sorum had a crap drum sound live with Guns.... He sounded way less leaden or heavy handed on the VR stuff, his drum sound live was great on those VR tours..... Anyone else get that?

Yeah, I think when Matt came to Guns he wanted to be more about timing and power. Have his own signature compared to Steven. I have to admit, I'm not really familiar with his stuff prior to Guns. 

7 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

His book is crass. The theme of never being an equal in any of the bands. Matt is not a legend. The Stephanie grabbed my balls story combined with Axl doing heroin on the UYI tour is tacky. The pointless jabs at Frank. And speaking on behalf of Izzy in print is more of his garbage. 

I'm so glad we didn't have to pay the $30 price tag this book has.

19 minutes ago, MurielWeathers said:

I'm so glad we didn't have to pay the $30 price tag this book has.

Just finished

I  skipped to him joining GNR and the rest.  didnt even bother to red the cult never liked them anyway. As far as I can confirm  Matt is a petty, selfish arrgont bitch. These guys gave him the biigest break and he just is way over his fucking head. He said Susan didnt know how to handle Duffs panic attacks? Bullshit! no way Duff would shit talk Frank like that and Matt is like ohh I am gonna defend Slash even though it's a one way relationship.

Guy is worse then Adler.

As far as a autobiographies go I really need to read one by Axl or Izzy would be super curious and especially with Axl and his hiring process.

Current order.

Duffs book.

Slash

Adler

Sorum

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Just finished

I  skipped to him joining GNR and the rest.  didnt even bother to red the cult never liked them anyway. As far as I can confirm  Matt is a petty, selfish arrgont bitch. These guys gave him the biigest break and he just is way over his fucking head. He said Susan didnt know how to handle Duffs panic attacks? Bullshit! no way Duff would shit talk Frank like that and Matt is like ohh I am gonna defend Slash even though it's a one way relationship.

Guy is worse then Adler.

As far as a autobiographies go I really need to read one by Axl or Izzy would be super curious and especially with Axl and his hiring process.

Current order.

Duffs book.

Slash

Adler

Sorum

I think most people skipped straight to the GNR section. I read a little bit of the pre cult days to GNR to get a sense of him. His stories are typical Rock n Roll stuff. I didn’t get a single insight from the book. I Did like his story of initials on the back stages passes because he didn’t want to fuck a girl who suck the bus drivers dicks. That’s was pretty funny.

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

He played with Richard since the 90s. He has a really good groove in Love Spit Love

Was just checking out love spit love videos on youtube the other day and boy I enjoyed Frank's drumming there. I don't know if it's the genre they're playing or if he play his original stuff he can actually pull off a great groove. 

Like his book or not. Buy his book or not. Like him or not. Believe him or not.                                                                             Can we all agree, relationships are irretrievably  broken.  All these guys are  over 50 in their mid 50s too. Sad. Time is short. Matt vs. Axl, Slash, and Duff. Izzy vs. Axl, Slash, and Duff. How close friendly are Matt and Izzy these days? Hmmmm. FPM song. Being at an art or movie showing a while back. After this book, maybe not so. Izzy , who distanced himself in 1990, seems to care less if sees , knows , or communicates with any of them a little or  not at all.  Steve vs. Axl,  Duff, Slash.  Gilby vs. Axl, Duff, Slash. Do we see a pattern here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, axlvai said:

I believe when you say a lot about others, you say a lot about yourself. 

so much truth in just one sentenc

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

Has anybody heard anything else about Matts' book, for instance has it been cancelled for good?  He must be gutted if it has as he has been marketing it for months now.

Not a single word, i really thought he would give a statement about it, but nothing so far, therefor i think it's not only a next delay, must be something different going on.

Edited by EricA

7 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah, I think when Matt came to Guns he wanted to be more about timing and power. Have his own signature compared to Steven. I have to admit, I'm not really familiar with his stuff prior to Guns. 

Theres a interview somewhere that said when Matt arrived for recording Axl already had the sound and drums he envisioned for UYI and sorum had little input for a majority of the songs. He played them the way axl envisioned them.

Even a song like NR was all axls drum suggestion because he liked a drum loop from a Elton John song and wanted it replicated.

To me recording wise Matt came into his own on contraband where he obviously had more freedom to do what he wanted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Richard & Frank collaborated many times before GNR, they were even both in the Psychedelic Furs together for a bit. I’m pretty sure that’s how he got the gig.

I like Frank just fine, would I prefer Sorum, Adler or Brain? Of course but I kind of accepted Frank as part of the reunion deal from the get-go And moved on. Probably a controversial opinion cuz everybody seems to love him but I’d rather have Frank than Freese.

My preference would be Brain out of the three, even though I like things Adler and Sorum do, but in an encompassing all I think Brain is the man for the job if Frank ever gets the boot! great player, zero rockstar BS.

Don’t wanna take any sides in this, but the reactions here seem to be a bit harsh to me. Out of the autobiographies, I’ve only read Slash’s and the first Duff’s book so far, but on the whole, they’re not that drastically different in terms of telling it like it was (or perhaps like they remember it or want us to perceive it), which must inevitably include negative stuff and bitching about the behaviour of the other guys. The band was ok for a few years, but we all know it became quite an explosive mixture before long. 
As far as I remember, both Slash and Duff had their say regarding the others (sure, mainly Axl was the bad guy there; but also let’s not forget their books were written pre-reunion). Isn’t the negativity here at least partially stemming from the fact that Matt has now dissed our beloved figures and questioned our existing firm attitudes towards them? 
Come on, none of them was exactly a saint, were they. If you think Matt was whiney in his book, wasn’t Slash similar in his own? 
At least we have another take now. 

• Like 2

I've read Duff's, Slash's and Matt's book now and I definitely think Matt comes off as the worst.

Duff manages to to come across (or at least make himself seem) like a decent guy in his book and there is a certain depth and poignancy to his book that most rock star biographies sorely lack. And it's a lot more tasteful and inspiring than most.

Slash does come off like an asshole a couple of times in his book, but on the whole I didn't want to strangle him while reading his book and the book itself is a pretty good read imo. More like a typical rock star biography than Duff's, but still pretty interesting and entertaining.

Matt's book made me cringe and mentally facepalm from start to finish and it's a badly written/edited mess. It does contain a few interesting bits and pieces we didn't know about though, I'll give him that.

Edited by loke212
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having read all the relevant bios(most written with the help of others), I was pleasantly surprised. Matt Sorum has come across as a ‘dick’ in the press over the years, yet I’ve heard good things of how he treats his fans and the book was not how I expected. 

Prior to reading, I heard about his digs at former band members. That initially put my guard up but having read what he had to say in his take on his life story, I was left in admiration of a focused professional. He appears to have more backbone than others and it appears to have worked against him. However,  he seems quite an authentic character. 

For the sake of argument he is a great drummer and has made some great music. Like Slash, he’s a great musician. The characteristics of Duff and Slash come across badly, but he’s not the first to highlight Slash’s sn(e)akeyness and Duff’s lack of backbone. I hope he’s content married and accomplished.

Slash in his bio, comes across as the perfect rock star. Reading broadly we can see he’s quite cunning. Duff loves to be liked (presenting as a decent guy) but I don’t think he needs to be a James Stewart or Tom Hanks character. That said it was a dream come true to meet and shake Duff’s hand and get him to sign his first book (I even have a good story to tell:)).

I feel bad for Steven in that his story is of a nice guy who went on a great adventure to fall victim to drug addiction which crippled his career.

Axl and Izzy are probably best to remain as enigmas.

If you read Weiland’s bio, he comes across as a guy who’s ‘all over the place’. I was a fan of his music. Another tragedy. 

I’m sure my post will be ripped to shreds but I felt compelled to type:)

That’s just the way the text uploaded 

• Like 1

I just thought that Matt let his feelings about the NITL tour color the way he talked about Slash and Duff throughout the book and that is shortsighted. A comprehensive autobiography should reflect more about your feelings at the time of these events. Matt owes a lot of his career from 1990 onwards to those guys and their songs.

• Like 3