Matt Sorum's Autobiography

Matt has always seemed to have a very inflated view of himself. He’s had a successful career but the only band he can really call his own is Velvet Revolver. Other than that he’s pretty much just been a hired gun. Him and Marky Ramone are a lot alike in the sense that they think they are more important than they actually are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LikeADog93 said:

Matt has always seemed to have a very inflated view of himself. He’s had a successful career but the only band he can really call his own is Velvet Revolver. Other than that he’s pretty much just been a hired gun. Him and Marky Ramone are a lot alike in the sense that they think they are more important than they actually are. 

“You’re not even an original Ramone” :lol:

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, GoForJMark said:

Was just checking out love spit love videos on youtube the other day and boy I enjoyed Frank's drumming there. I don't know if it's the genre they're playing or if he play his original stuff he can actually pull off a great groove. 

I recently really got into Love Spit Love. Great band, Richard Fortus on guitar with the brilliant Richard Butler on vocals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LikeADog93 said:

I agree, to an extent.

But no matter which way you slice and dice it - he played on 2 of the 3 most important albums the band has ever done (and ever will do). That in itself demands respect 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricA said:

ok, so here's Matt's answer on insta according his book

20200611_220246.jpg.adcd45b765290435cef4e581e8b677ad.jpg

not very informative :lol:

but kudos to him to give an answer anyway

I guess that means he’s shopping around for a new publisher, in the hopes of getting it out sometime next year?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Drexl said:

What puzzles me is where were his siblings? They've spent most of the time during the Illusion tour by his side. Maybe he was really unreachable back then.

Yeah, good question. Maybe they were into or believed in the same weird stuff, too (they did grow up in the same family after all). Or maybe they were just glad to have a chance to work for their big brother and travel the world and didn't want to bring in any tensions to disturb that, no idea. Axl's definitely still close with sister nowadays though (he talked about her not too long ago iirc).

54 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

In this book matt comes across as a simple enough guy with a very low tolerance for diva bullshit. Imagine any walk of life having to deal with people like Axl, scott weiland or even the cult. He just liked fucking as many women as he could, playing drums loud and drinking and sniffing coke. Band politics, trading on eggshells in case axl throws a strop, or letting slash get away with whatever he wanted because he's outwardly laid back doesn't sound like anything any normal person could deal with. And some of his stories are so ridiculous, they must be true You dont make up teaching sebastian bach cunnilingus in a room full of people. 

After reading the book, I think most of the stuff in there is probably true as well (to some extent at least). Some of Matt's observations and some more obscure little bits and pieces of information mentioned in the book have been described by other people as well, so it does have a ring of truth to it.

And while Matt comes across as very unlikeable himself, I can also understand his frustration with Slash and Duff if they were even half as passive and useless as described during the GNR days. And the general frustration with their behavior towards him, especially with Slash.

Earlier in the thread someone said Axl comes off in a way better light in the book than Slash does and it's true. Sorum paints Axl as difficult and troubled, but he doesn't come across as entirely unsympathetic towards him (e.g. in the story where he tries to talk Axl into going on stage or when he mentions how brutal the breakup with Steph Seymour was). And there are many instances in the book where he describes Axl as being kind and generous or mentions how great and talented Axl was.

By contrast, I don't remember him saying a single nice thing about Slash in the book. It's just dig after dig at Slash's character and a new example of Slash throwing him under the bus in every chapter. And if it's not that, then he draws unfavorable comparisons between Slash and Axl ("Axl is generous and a 'giver', unlike Slash, who is not") or describes Slash as being a wimp who is too afraid to get into even the smallest conflict or disagreement and lets others do his dirty work for him.

Even Duff gets off better than Slash. There's a lot of disappointment towards Duff at the end of the book, yes, but none of constant critisism and highlighting of his character flaws that Slash gets (apart from the stuff where he referred to both Duff and Slash as being dumb, too passive, always pretending problems didn't exist etc.).

• Like 3

One of these days, when I was out shopping ahead of the party, I got a call from a girl who worked for Heidi Fleiss.
“Matt,” she said, “we’re going to break in some new girls, and, uh, Heidi wants to try them out.”
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Could I send them over to your place so you can rate them for us?”
I didn’t know quite what to think, but the very next day, the girl I had
spoken to came over with a couple young girls. I fucked each of them— together and individually—and afterward, I had to give them a rating and feedback. The same happened the next week, with a bunch of new girls. I remember one of them in particular, because she was super hot and brought a suitcase with a gigantic dildo inside.
We all took GHB, and the girl and I went into the theater room, where she started working herself with the dildo. The thing with GHB is that if you take too much, it can make you fall asleep, and that’s exactly what happened to her—with this gigantic dildo still buzzing away inside her. I went over and yelled for her to wake up, but it was pointless. She was out of it for the rest of the evening.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  What a knob...... 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lio said:

I haven't finished the book yet, but I wonder if it's shelved because of all these things. I am far more apalled/grossed out by all of that than I am shocked by his sneers towards Slash, Duff or anyone else. Seriously, I am not a loud feminist who yells ME TOO! at every corner, but all of this I find genuinely awful, and reading on here: 'He's just a guy fucking as many women as he could' as if it's some kind of feat? Ugh. He's talking about breaking in and rating exploited girls FFS. And as far as I can see, he feels quite good about it. Drawing the parallel with what's going on today, could you imagine a slave handler breaking in some n***s and a publisher publishing that book?

I have never liked Matt, but reading his book makes me find him an absolutely atrocious, despicable person. I read Duff's and Slash's books too, and I'm not saying they were/are noble men, but this is taking it a whole lot further imo.

Well, in the end he didn't rape anyone, did he? And he was in no position like let's say Weinstein the Pig. So what's the problem? Are those parts of the book disgusting sometimes? Hell yes. But no need to make any virtue signalling here because of that. At least he was more open and honest than Slash and Duff. In a good and bad way. Trust me, not all women that act like whores are necessarily victims or being exploited.

Edited by Rayno

5 hours ago, Lio said:

I haven't finished the book yet, but I wonder if it's shelved because of all these things. I am far more apalled/grossed out by all of that than I am shocked by his sneers towards Slash, Duff or anyone else. Seriously, I am not a loud feminist who yells ME TOO! at every corner, but all of this I find genuinely awful, and reading on here: 'He's just a guy fucking as many women as he could' as if it's some kind of feat? Ugh. He's talking about breaking in and rating exploited girls FFS. And as far as I can see, he feels quite good about it. Drawing the parallel with what's going on today, could you imagine a slave handler breaking in some n***s and a publisher publishing that book?

I have never liked Matt, but reading his book makes me find him an absolutely atrocious, despicable person. I read Duff's and Slash's books too, and I'm not saying they were/are noble men, but this is taking it a whole lot further imo.

Agreed, i think it is the reason that his book was cancelled. His book isn't to suitable to this moment of the society.

11 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

One of these days, when I was out shopping ahead of the party, I got a call from a girl who worked for Heidi Fleiss.
“Matt,” she said, “we’re going to break in some new girls, and, uh, Heidi wants to try them out.”
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Could I send them over to your place so you can rate them for us?”
I didn’t know quite what to think, but the very next day, the girl I had
spoken to came over with a couple young girls. I fucked each of them— together and individually—and afterward, I had to give them a rating and feedback. The same happened the next week, with a bunch of new girls. I remember one of them in particular, because she was super hot and brought a suitcase with a gigantic dildo inside.
We all took GHB, and the girl and I went into the theater room, where she started working herself with the dildo. The thing with GHB is that if you take too much, it can make you fall asleep, and that’s exactly what happened to her—with this gigantic dildo still buzzing away inside her. I went over and yelled for her to wake up, but it was pointless. She was out of it for the rest of the evening.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  What a knob...... 

That seals it for me, what a douchebag!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lio said:

I agree, he sounds like an idiot.  I get that rock n roll memoirs mention a lot of sexual escapades, but there is a bragging tone to this that is a real turn off.  "Young" girls?  Ugh.  You would have to a be a real moron to be quoted like this in the year 2020.  

On 6/10/2020 at 9:55 PM, Tom2112 said:

Seems to be a lot of "Don't you get it!? I was in GNR and the cult!!" to be fair people shout about much less, but he doesn't get it; in most peoples eyes, he was just someone those bands hired to play drums... they don't really view him as THE drummer of those bands. When you think of GNR his name is high on the list, but most people still talk about Steven first and foremost - just as who was most popular, I'm not talking ability.

Maybe Duff didn't tell him about Guns because he knew he'd ask to play and it was just going to be awkward... we all have those friends who love you when you're doing stuff for them and flip as soon as you don't come running 1 time in 10.

It's amazing he's had the career he's had considering the chip on his shoulder.

I think it's a really bad decision on Matt's part to slam Slash and Duff like this.  You're right, a lot of the perks he has enjoyed over the years is because of his association with them.  But he isn't and never was the star.  He seems to think he is though.  

19 minutes ago, Kira said:

I think it's a really bad decision on Matt's part to slam Slash and Duff like this.  You're right, a lot of the perks he has enjoyed over the years is because of his association with them.  But he isn't and never was the star.  He seems to think he is though.  

It might well be, but he's not that young, he's probably fine financially, and he seems to do alright for work. Sorum is a surprisingly popular guy, even if he can seem like an asshole.

13 hours ago, Lio said:

I agree with this (and with @Kiras posts), this is one of the main reasons why I think Matt comes off as the biggest asshole and the most despicable character out of these 3 guys, judging by their books.

Though it may cheer you up to know that Matt did get called out for his behaviour somewhat during the VR days, as described later in the book:

The wives of the other guys in VR apparently all hated Matt and called him a creep for dating a 19-year old girl as a 40-something man and for the backstage antics he was trying to introduce into VR.

And one day while Matt and the 19-year old plus some girls picked out from the crowd were engaging in said backstage antics, Scott Weiland walked in and was disgusted. Weiland told his wife about it, his wife told Duff's wife and immediately they put an end to all of that.

Matt was pissed off and went to confront Scott. Scott called him disgusting. Him and his "80s Mötley Crue shit".

Not a huge fan of Scott, but I was mentally cheering him on there.

(Of course Matt thinks all of this was so unfair and he apparently told the other VR guys' wives that they were jaded old Yoko Onos who didn't know how to have fun :facepalm:)

Edited by loke212
  • Like 1