Matt Sorum's Autobiography

Without Slash he would have never had half the career he made. Slash was the one calling him and invited him joining GNR. No GNR, no Snakepit, no VR and most likely no Camp Freddy or Hollywood Vampires. He seems to be mad because they reunited without him. 

How come he is half his life in bands with those two guys he suddenly has so many bad things to say about? Why keep working with guys he obviously doesn't like or trust? 

• Like 4

To me, I hated him after the first 5 pages already.

Enough for me to hate him for a lifetime is his 7-year old encounter - last paragraphs of chapter 2.

50 year old guy boasting about it. If he abused a troubled child already at age 7, no wonder he's such a dick.

Shame, I really liked him before. No damage control is possible at this point I think. No wonder the book is shelved.

• Like 2

I only read through the book once but looking around through this thread I think it's becoming increasingly obvious why it was cancelled. 

He comes off as a terrible person in this book. The entire book seems so tone-deaf in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if the delays and eventual cancellation of the book were due to the publisher getting nervous about the content featured. 

It's very frustrating that he chose to dedicate so much of the book to his exploits with women instead of stuff the fans actually care about. There's so many important details being left out. 

Edited by History2010
  • Like 4

Sometimes I really doubt I am a member of a forum dedicated to a rock'n'roll band. Like - are you really THAT surprised things like these happened (and don't be mistaken - still happen)? Are you really that disgusted or is it just a part of some new fashion of a virtue signalling? We're talkin about a rock'n'roll band here, aren't we? Not a fuckin' boy scout club. If these things were a part of let's say Lemmy's memoir you probably wouldn't say a word. Well, Matt was a womanizer and is speaking about it in a pretty open and honest fashion. So what? Much better than all this PC hypocrisy going around America and Western Europe. Let alone the fact he wasn't exploiting anyone. He just shagged women wanting to shag a rock'n'roll drummer, that's all.

Edited by Rayno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rayno said:

Sometimes I really doubt I am a member of a forum dedicated to a rock'n'roll band. Like - are you really THAT surprised things like these happened (and don't be mistaken - still happen)? Are you really that disgusted or is it just a part of some new fashion of a virtue signalling? We're talkin about a rock'n'roll band here, aren't we? Not a fuckin' boy scout club. If these things were a part of let's say Lemmy's memoir you probably wouldn't say a word. Well, Matt was a womanizer and is speaking about it in a pretty open and honest fashion. So what? Much better than all this PC hypocrisy going around America and Western Europe. Let alone the fact he wasn't exploiting anyone. He just shagged women wanting to shag a rock'n'roll drummer, that's all.

It just comes across as a bit try hard to me.  Like, idk me in high school would have found that stuff "badass" or whatever but now that I am a grown adult I kind of look at it as a bit tacky and the fact that there is more of that stuff in the book rather than genuine emotional content and reflection, just to me is rather odd.  

The fact that he such detailed attention to the system of getting women backstage via audience viewing cameras and only one measly sentence to the death of Scott Weiland, to me says everything there is to say about it all

For the record, I have read Lemmy's autobiography in full and he has those kinds of stories however at the very least has just as many, if not more, moments of genuine emotional reflection and thoughtfulness that paint a fuller and more honest picture of who he was 

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

I have not read the book and don't plan to at this point.  Matt's ego has bothered me for a long time.  There is a lot of ego in his stage presence and drumming to the point of there sometimes being a bit of a cacophony problem.  And how he felt he needed to be presented in the Making Of Estranged behind he scenes, with is wife silently sitting to his side like a trophy.  This and how in the Fall To Pieces music video where all the scenes of him are with ladies while the remainder of the video is a tragic display of addiction.  

Edited by albowhead

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Without Slash he would have never had half the career he made. Slash was the one calling him and invited him joining GNR. No GNR, no Snakepit, no VR and most likely no Camp Freddy or Hollywood Vampires. He seems to be mad because they reunited without him. 

How come he is half his life in bands with those two guys he suddenly has so many bad things to say about? Why keep working with guys he obviously doesn't like or trust? 

He is angry. Rightly so ,so he wrote a book.

3 hours ago, Rayno said:

True. 

8 hours ago, Kira said:

I agree, he sounds like an idiot.  I get that rock n roll memoirs mention a lot of sexual escapades, but there is a bragging tone to this that is a real turn off.  "Young" girls?  Ugh.  You would have to a be a real moron to be quoted like this in the year 2020.  

Agreed. He could have written about this shorter, funnier, and leaving out some details.I am not tender hearted or shocked rock star has secx with groupies.  How can anyone here criticize him ,but not Slash, Izzy.  In Slash book, he and Izzy both had secx, taking turns or not, with some pitiful girl and ummmm, Izzy " soiled" Slash.

• Like 1

So i have finished the book. I considered myself up to date with general GNR business (through this forum)... obviously not lol

I was shocked to read the barbs aimed at duff and slash (i thought they were all still tight)... again.. obviously not.

the two things that stuck out for me in the book were this.. i thought Matt had a genuine chance to offer up some in depth insight to things that happened during the illusion tour and afterwards till he left the band. Maybe he just didnt know as much as i expected him too? or he just didnt want to offer up that type of book.. but a missed opportunity from a gnr fans perspective..

I didnt need to read that he taugh sebastian to lick a woman out (didnt think it was that hard to be honest, but anyway)... and the endless " i was coked out" stories got a bit monotonous. In regards to his relationship with duff and slash, i guess hes basically confirmed what we on here (in the majority) have thought about duff being spineless. And in regards to slash i was maybe a little shocked that he address slash as the one who couldnt be trusted in regards to his percentage decrease (rather than axl).. etc.. I thought overall he wrote kindly about axl in the book. i was a little surprised at that as well. Most of the book was vague and could have been written a lot better in terms of giving out information, but maybe matt just wasnt that keen to spew details in the extreme.

Overall, Matt was good for the band in that time period imo.. and the band was obviously good for his career too. The book lacked any depth but i kept reading in case there was anything that would really blow me away. As amaya says... we need an axl book.. but we aint ever gonna get one. Thats where we would get the best read imo,.

Speaking of teaching, I thought of another thing that made laugh in this book. He says he had to teach Duff and Slash how to exploit their position to get girls backstage etc. Which seems ridiculous to begin with since they were already big rock stars when he met them, but earlier in his own book it says the first time he ever saw those guys in person they had four incredibly hot babes with them.

5 hours ago, Rayno said:

I agree,, some of the comments made me feel I had accidently started reading the life of a nun rather thhan rock n roll, hey get a grip!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DurhamGirl said:

I agree,, some of the comments made me feel I had accidently started reading the life of a nun rather thhan rock n roll, hey get a grip!

For me, the guys got no fucking style....

What happens among consenting adults, with a bottle of canola oil and a monkey who is trained to run a video camera is all ok.

But you don’t need to talk shit about it and brag about it... 

Take your monkey and Video Camera and run riot..... just keep it to yourself. 

• Like 2

I would imagine there are folk who would expect and enjoy reading about the more salubrious side of rock n roll, it is kind of expected...its a lifestlye that many fantasise about while they go about their daily routines...and what publishers would expect.

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

However, there is a subtle difference between telling the story itself, and presenting yourself as an irresistible sexgod. (in some parts my only thought was: "You wish...":lol: )

We all know about the good old "sex, drugs & rock n' roll" world, and nobody is bothered by reading such stories, but in the end it's HOW the story is told that counts, i think that's the main thing that upsets some users.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Amaya said:

He is angry. Rightly so ,so he wrote a book.

True. 

Agreed. He could have written about this shorter, funnier, and leaving out some details.I am not tender hearted or shocked rock star has secx with groupies.  How can anyone here criticize him ,but not Slash, Izzy.  In Slash book, he and Izzy both had secx, taking turns or not, with some pitiful girl and ummmm, Izzy " soiled" Slash.

Slash and Duff didn't bash no bandmember the way Sorum does. In Slash's book even Axl gets praised at least as often as he gets criticized. Rock n roll books should tell your story but it's just a bad move to concentrate on your more successful bandmates and badmouthing them, just because your story wouldn't be interesting enough otherwise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

I would imagine there are folk who would expect and enjoy reading about the more salubrious side of rock n roll, it is kind of expected...its a lifestlye that many fantasise about while they go about their daily routines...and what publishers would expect.

While that is true that sex sells - I think that there is a balance between stereotypical rock cliches and emotional depth.  My main issue is, why the hell are those parts of the book spoken with such detail and yet when it comes to his own sobriety, GNR, etc. it is all told somewhat coldly and straight to the point with no real sense of emotion or reflection to it?  

I know I said something like this in my last post, but Heidi Fleiss' flock of girls Matt was rating got more meaningful thoughts out of Matt than the death of Scott Weiland.  Which to me is kinda messed up

• Like 1

10 hours ago, History2010 said:

It's very frustrating that he chose to dedicate so much of the book to his exploits with women instead of stuff the fans actually care about. There's so many important details being left out. 

I agree. I don't have a problem with groupie stories but I really would've loved to read more about the recording of the albums and the tour and all that. Maybe talk more about Neurotic Outsiders and recording that album, and more details about VR apart from meeting his future wife when she was only 19. Which is pretty creepy tbh; I remember seeing her in pics and videos with him back then but I didn't realize she was that young.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Enough for me to hate him for a lifetime is his 7-year old encounter - last paragraphs of chapter 2.

50 year old guy boasting about it. If he abused a troubled child already at age 7, no wonder he's such a dick.

Shame, I really liked him before. No damage control is possible at this point I think. No wonder the book is shelved.

What is this all about? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bassplayer1993 said:

I don't think he's boasting about it.

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

What is this all about? 

"With all this going on, I started to experiment with sex. I remember going over to the place next door and playing doctor with the girl who lived there. We were only seven, but she was pretty developed for her age. Looking back now, I guess she must have gone through something bad. I mean, she knew exactly what she was doing and told me how to please her while she played with my dick. For my part, I think it was just a way for me to express my feelings. My brothers and I tried to adapt to our new situation. Mike switched off and withdrew. Mark became rebellious, and I became obsessed with sex."

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I don't think he's boasting about it.

"With all this going on, I started to experiment with sex. I remember going over to the place next door and playing doctor with the girl who lived there. We were only seven, but she was pretty developed for her age. Looking back now, I guess she must have gone through something bad. I mean, she knew exactly what she was doing and told me how to please her while she played with my dick. For my part, I think it was just a way for me to express my feelings. My brothers and I tried to adapt to our new situation. Mike switched off and withdrew. Mark became rebellious, and I became obsessed with sex."

Combined with the other stories he mentions about his sexual encounters as a kid (that wasn't the only one iirc), I can see how it could come across as bragging, especially when viewed within the context of the whole book.

And it's even worse considering the girl in this story was most likely already being abused by an adult. Definitely started getting creep vibes at that point as well and it only got worse from there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, loke212 said:

I agree with this (and with @Kiras posts), this is one of the main reasons why I think Matt comes off as the biggest asshole and the most despicable character out of these 3 guys, judging by their books.

Though it may cheer you up to know that Matt did get called out for his behaviour somewhat during the VR days, as described later in the book:

The wives of the other guys in VR apparently all hated Matt and called him a creep for dating a 19-year old girl as a 40-something man and for the backstage antics he was trying to introduce into VR.

And one day while Matt and the 19-year old plus some girls picked out from the crowd were engaging in said backstage antics, Scott Weiland walked in and was disgusted. Weiland told his wife about it, his wife told Duff's wife and immediately they put an end to all of that.

Matt was pissed off and went to confront Scott. Scott called him disgusting. Him and his "80s Mötley Crue shit".

Not a huge fan of Scott, but I was mentally cheering him on there.

(Of course Matt thinks all of this was so unfair and he apparently told the other VR guys' wives that they were jaded old Yoko Onos who didn't know how to have fun :facepalm:)

Yeah, finished it now. Good on Weiland. That is exactly right: 'Man, you're 40.' Very cringeworthy, the part where Ace made the girls bend over backstage 🙄 

At the end of the book Matt seems to try and make up a bit, by saying he's grateful for GNR.

And 🤣 to people saying I'm being politically correct or hypocrite by being against the rating of and breaking in of young girls for a madam. If you think that's cool or badass, well...

It's a bit different than groupies.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

In terms of the backstage girls matt had i remember this came up with scott around the time he had one foot out the door.  What scott mentioned was that matt had girls backstage that was close to a harem. Scott felt uneasy and the "harem" so to speak finished. I remember matt doing press at the time mentioning this that he was indulging in the rock and roll lifestyle and was s ick of scott being judgemental. I think this was all during the libertad tour. 

To be honest matts girls may have been young, but so was perla when she slept with slash during the illusions tour. he may have married perla but she was still young.

Some women will be attracted to money and power and some men will always be attracted to youth and beauty.

• Like 1