Matt Sorum's Autobiography

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Slash and Duff didn't bash no bandmember the way Sorum does. In Slash's book even Axl gets praised at least as often as he gets criticized. Rock n roll books should tell your story but it's just a bad move to concentrate on your more successful bandmates and badmouthing them, just because your story wouldn't be interesting enough otherwise. 

I get you what are saying. However, Matts pizzed about Duff sort of backstabbed him. I get that too. Matt has a right to tell his story. Unlike some of us beliefs, Duff,Slash, Axl are no more or less special than him. You said," bashing members who are more successful." He can and should badmouth them ,but when, how, why, where it was truth, neccessary.                                                                                 No I have not  read Matts book. The posts here from the few who managed to buy his book before it was pulled , it seems Matt needed BALANCE .Reader should  sympathy for him.  Rule. EVERY negative  true comment on The Big3, throw in a positive.  His talk with groupies was not that of a Harlequin romance fairytale novel. However,  it seems from reviews here, he could have toned in down truth in some places. Maybe not said about  breaking in newbies of Heidis girls by doing them, but just rating them on physical attributes,etc. then saying he took a sample or two.   Hmmmmm, leave it up to readers imagination. Two? Ha, yeah, I bet he sampled for free more than 2-3, lol

No, Matt wrote..... Ehhhhhhh. Tooooo much. Yuck.   Lol. The story about the  lood ,passed  out Heidi  girl with the buzzing vibrator  is just hilariously funny. He could have expounded.....said stuff like.....the buzzing was kind of working on his nerves. He was not sure if should pull it out or leave it, you know like an alarm clock to wake her up.                                                                                     Slash  talked on Howard Stern of  that Slash and Izzy shared girl story..The story went from ewwwww to funny with sympathy for poor Slash.                                                                                                   To me, from what I read here of others opinion of Matts  book, he should revise. He did not expound enough of how he got on all the bands he was with. Erase the bitterness  and rewrite it bittersweet. No. No one wants to buy a sweet  little storybook . Sex, drugs, n RocknRoll  is not Rated G.  After reading it, you should feel sympathy for him and have laughs.. The Slash- Izzy story. Lol, poor Slash. Even his herion addiction poor Slash following Izzy and even poor Steven following Slash following Bad Izzy. Awwww.. Slash made all the drug stuff kind of funny too.  You get what I am saying?

Edited by Amaya
Typos, spacing

16 hours ago, Rayno said:

Sometimes I really doubt I am a member of a forum dedicated to a rock'n'roll band. Like - are you really THAT surprised things like these happened (and don't be mistaken - still happen)? Are you really that disgusted or is it just a part of some new fashion of a virtue signalling? We're talkin about a rock'n'roll band here, aren't we? Not a fuckin' boy scout club. If these things were a part of let's say Lemmy's memoir you probably wouldn't say a word. Well, Matt was a womanizer and is speaking about it in a pretty open and honest fashion. So what? Much better than all this PC hypocrisy going around America and Western Europe. Let alone the fact he wasn't exploiting anyone. He just shagged women wanting to shag a rock'n'roll drummer, that's all.

We all assume certain behaviours from bands, but when you put more effort into a story about rating chicks for Heidi Fleiss than writing about how the songs came together,  who had what ideas, etc etc.... Fuck buzzing dildos, write about the music, that's the thing we all love!

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 1

I agree with you both.                                                  Again. Balance and make it funny. Interesting. NOT DIFFICULT TO DO BECAUSE  his STORY CAN WRITE ITSELF. . The good, bad, the ugly.  Dont forget  THE MAIN REASON WHY, HOW he got  there.                                                                                                             Drummer FOR three, very successful big rock bands.*****  Whoever you are, whatever your job or career, that one big chance is the game changer.  It just takes just one.  He fell into The Cult band.  It could have been at least a dozen other drummers around the biz. Just great stupid luck, fate, God, a moment in Slash head, hey, I like that drummer from The Cult. Maty Sorum.  Before Matt knew it, studio for UYIs and tour, lol. Life game  changer up. Hmmm, VR, of course. Lucky here for them all because VR TOOK OFFFFFF like a rocket. Lots there I hope he wrote about how VR happened and how the business was so different.

Edited by Amaya
Spacing, typos

50 minutes ago, Amaya said:

I get you what are saying. However, Matts pizzed about Duff sort of backstabbed him. I get that too. Matt has a right to tell his story. Unlike some of us beliefs, Duff,Slash, Axl are no more or less special than him. You said," bashing members who are more successful." He can and should badmouth them ,but when, how, why, where it was truth, neccessary.                                                                                 No I have not  read Matts book. The posts here from the few who managed to buy his book before it was pulled , it seems Matt needed BALANCE .Reader should  sympathy for him.  Rule. EVERY negative  true comment on The Big3, throw in a positive.  His talk with groupies was not that of a Harlequin romance fairytale novel. However,  it seems from reviews here, he could have toned in down truth in some places. Maybe not said about  breaking in newbies of Heidis girls by doing them, but just rating them on physical attributes,etc. then saying he took a sample or two.   Hmmmmm, leave it up to readers imagination. Two? Ha, yeah, I bet he sampled for free more than 2-3, lol

No, Matt wrote..... Ehhhhhhh. Tooooo much. Yuck.   Lol. The story about the  lood ,passed  out Heidi  girl with the buzzing vibrator  is just hilariously funny. He could have expounded.....said stuff like.....the buzzing was kind of working on his nerves. He was not sure if should pull it out or leave it, you know like an alarm clock to wake her up.                                                                                     Slash  talked on Howard Stern of  that Slash and Izzy shared girl story..The story went from ewwwww to funny with sympathy for poor Slash.                                                                                                   To me, from what I read here of others opinion of Matts  book, he should revise. He did not expound enough of how he got on all the bands he was with. Erase the bitterness  and rewrite it bittersweet. No. No one wants to buy a sweet  little storybook . Sex, drugs, n RocknRoll  is not Rated G.  After reading it, you should feel sympathy for him and have laughs.. The Slash- Izzy story. Lol, poor Slash. Even his herion addiction poor Slash following Izzy and even poor Steven following Slash following Bad Izzy. Awwww.. Slash made all the drug stuff kind of funny too.  You get what I am saying?

I don't mind his sex storys. It's rock n roll... sex drugs and rock n roll, you know? If he feels the need to express this side of his life than it's his choice and maybe someone finds that interesting. To a certain point I had a good laugh reading Slash's drug addiction storys, so I'm fine with that.

What I'm talking about are the bashing  stories. Maybe Matt's right. But to me it seems more like he's butthurt and I think if there hadn't been this reunion his stories about Slash and Duff would have been almost entirely positive. Of course it's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

My impression is that Matt was a simple guy who went by a simple moral code. He didn't think he was doing anything wrong as long as the girls were of age and he wasn't forcing them into anything. Hard to say whether he has since then realized that it's a little bit more complicated than that. He doesn't seem to go into much detail about what his current thoughts and feelings are about the way they treated women.

At the end of the day, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that all of the GNR guys were scumbags, and I don't think Matt was even the worst of the bunch. At least he didn't beat up or rape women or go for underage girls, as far as we know, (except for that story where he was a child himself).

I am a female, 55. The groupies, girl who Slash n Izzy took turns on Heidie's girls , groupies, all ANCIENT HISTORY were not exploited ,innocents. Even then 19 year Ace, now Mrs.Sorum,  was not exploited. DesiCraft, whoever she was and whatever her real name was , was a  minor.  All ancient history.  YES, AGAIN  Matt needed to leave some of that stuff out. Ewwwww. He could have told it, keft dome of it, still telling, but make it funny. The Hedi girl oassed out on loods, stuck ,too funny. He did himself no favor. Maybe he could have left out when meeting Ace, her age. Write more about how he fell head over heels for the One and had changed to pursue her. Give the reader the awwwwww, Matt was in love and loved her and they got married, his happily ever after. Awwww.  He really needs to revise his book with a better editor.                                                                                                                                                                                       Make the reader laugh, feel empathy for  him conquering addictions, growing up to his age and times a long ,long time ago, his hurt heart for how baddie Duffy and Meanie Slash treated him...awwww, befriending Izzy, the 2 lil GnR all but forgotten castoffs, awwwww, but be so ,so very grateful to Axl,Slash esp. AND Duff, his groomsman,  GnR, VR.

Edited by Amaya

Matt talks in the book about his relationship with a woman named Betty/Shiva (both names printed with small caps when first mentioned - which means that they're fictionalised, according to the disclaimer in the beginning of the book). He describes an incident when she became "hysterical" and went to Duff's room crying after a foursome or fivesome of her, Matt and two/three other girl where Matt fucked one of the girls although "Shiva" had asked him not to, then Duff and Linda reprimanded Matt for treating her like that. Later he mentions how their relationship ended, describing an incident where she started hitting him, he pushed her back and then the police came and arrested him.

I guess the real person behind the fictional names is his ex-wife, Kai, and the last incident he describes was this one:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4030-1994-05-23-upi-sorum-pleads-innocent-to-beating-wife

(He would be charged three more times for the same thing in the following years - he got probation for two of the charges).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 2

FWIW, Matt condolenced Slash below this post because his cat has died and... 

... commented on this post from the UYI tour with 'My people ✌️'. 

I wonder if Slash (or someone else from the GNR camp) probably read the book after it leaked and then called him to clear some things up

Maybe things have become a little better after they talked and Matt wanted to change some of the negative things he has written in the book, which might have lead to the delay/postponement

Of course pure speculation going on here

• Like 1

I am not  knocking any of you. I did not buy the book. I only read parts of Duffs, Slash, snd Steves. I have Mick Walls book which I figure is more neutral. @loke212  @Scream of the Butterfly. Did Matt have an editor, gosh like who? Like what publisher let this shyt go? You want  to sell books and not turn people off. Maty the child with the 7yr. old girl....wtf? Ewwwwe...OMG, I just threw up in my mouth. Adult groupies ,Heidies girls, Perla was a Madame , so what. No big deal.  This here though, ummm, nono. How old was Matt then, 7-9  years old...I hope? If he were older, preteen, 13ish ,oh boy,  that could have been ...nevermind.. He, a child of then 7 years old himself  would not have known  that 7yr girl was obviously sexually abused, but now as an adult he knows and that should have been left out of his book. A secret like that you take to your grave as the saying goes. Not good

Edited by Amaya
Typos, spacing
  • Like 1

That guy is a creep. We had a similar twisted politician in France who almost became candidate for presidential election but got arrested on a plane before coming back to France (but his stuff was not legal, which wasnt the case for Sorum apparently). These people need help. I mean he has issues. Telling the 7 y-o story now as an adult when you can clearly understand the poor girl had deep issues is just f**cked up. And the way he writes that is just like he would tell us he ate pizza last night. The writing is awful. Even a teenager with English as a third language would write better stories.

Like many people said, he just forgets so much important stuff (music, GN'R history, etc) and focuses too much on his obsessions and issues. If the book is ever getting released, it needs to be rewritten all over, and reviewed by a real editor. I had about 3% of respect for Sorum, it went down to 0. Even his boring drums solo during the UYI tour feels like a philosophy masterclass compared to his "book".

• Like 1

I'm now reading some pre-GnR chapters. 

Matt describes how he was sort of a pimp for Metallica when the Cult were opening for them. The Metallica crowd was almost all male and their roadies had difficulty to find and pick up girls. So Matt would go and pick up goth girls who had been at the show for the Cult, and take them backstage to Metallica. And Metallica, being grateful, let Matt in their backstage area and on their plane, which pissed the Cult guys off (who travelled on bus) but made Matt feel like a rock star.

The Cult ,Metallica ,story of typical groupies,rocker stuff. ok. Nothing out of the norm. I dare ask and dont know if I should or if you should post,  how old was he with his neighbor? Tell me 7 and not 13 ?

Edited by Amaya

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

He knows his book leaked, right? :lol:

I thought the reason the book might be held up is because he may have regretted writing certain things and is editing it. The sexual encounter stuff really shouldnt be in it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I’m wondering if the book will eventually come out heavily rewritten. The early reviews on these forums haven’t been glowing. Not great press when people say “ this book made me dislike this person” about an autobiography.

I guess we'll see when it does come out.

9 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

We all assume certain behaviours from bands, but when you put more effort into a story about rating chicks for Heidi Fleiss than writing about how the songs came together,  who had what ideas, etc etc.... Fuck buzzing dildos, write about the music, that's the thing we all love!

Yes, really disappointed that there's not more about the music (esp for VR, really wanted to hear more about that).

5 hours ago, loke212 said:

Yes.

The story about Slash and Izzy having sex with some girl that's been brought up here for some reason or Slash and Axl having sex with 2 girls (if I remember these pictures correctly) or similar stuff is about something completely different and I don't think anyone has an issue with that, as long as everything was consensual and everyone was on board with it.

If you don't see the difference between that and a bunch of "young girls" (possibly exploited) being brought in like cattle to Sorum's place so he can "break them in" and "rate them" (:vomit:), as if we're talking about cars or shoes or whatever, then I don't know what to say.

That, combined with all the other stuff going on in the book and dating a teenager when you're a 40-something guy (more towards 50 than 40 if my maths is correct), and I'm not surprised all the other wives in VR hated him and thought he was a creep.

(I assume that includes Perla, and if Perla, who is pretty sleazy herself and has a lot of skeletons in the closet thinks you're a creep, then you probably are one.)

All in all, huge wasted opportunity. As others have said, less focus on his sex and drug life and more focus on GNR would have drastically improved the book and would have made him look better too. The bits and pieces we did get were interesting after all, he could have gone into more depth about these stories or told some more.

I agree

4 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

My impression is that Matt was a simple guy who went by a simple moral code. He didn't think he was doing anything wrong as long as the girls were of age and he wasn't forcing them into anything. Hard to say whether he has since then realized that it's a little bit more complicated than that. He doesn't seem to go into much detail about what his current thoughts and feelings are about the way they treated women.

At the end of the day, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that all of the GNR guys were scumbags, and I don't think Matt was even the worst of the bunch. At least he didn't beat up or rape women or go for underage girls, as far as we know, (except for that story where he was a child himself).

That's true, especially when thinking about the underage girls. All the GnR guys were involved with that at one point or another.

3 hours ago, Amaya said:

I am not  knocking any of you. I did not buy the book. I only read parts of Duffs, Slash, snd Steves. I have Mick Walls book which I figure is more neutral. @loke212  @Scream of the Butterfly. Did Matt have an editor, gosh like who? Like what publisher let this shyt go? You want  to sell books and not turn people off. Maty the child with the 7yr. old girl....wtf? Ewwwwe...OMG, I just threw up in my mouth. Adult groupies ,Heidies girls, Perla was a Madame , so what. No big deal.  This here though, ummm, nono. How old was Matt then, 7-9  years old...I hope? If he were older, preteen, 13ish ,oh boy,  that could have been ...nevermind.. He, a child of then 7 years old himself  would not have known  that 7yr girl was obviously sexually abused, but now as an adult he knows and that should have been left out of his book. A secret like that you take to your grave as the saying goes. Not good

I only read from the Cult on but he didn’t talk nice about music or art and what it means to him. There are cool stories, but no real insights. Reading his book let’s me know exactly why he was not invited to join GNR. 

2 hours ago, WillBailey said:

These people need help. I mean he has issues. Telling the 7 y-o story now as an adult when you can clearly understand the poor girl had deep issues is just f**cked up. And the way he writes that is just like he would tell us he ate pizza last night. The writing is awful. Even a teenager with English as a third language would write better stories.

Have you ever read The Dirt? That book was shocking because they would tell these insane stories in a nonchalant way like it was a typical Tuesday. I feel like all these rock and roll books have copied that writing pattern since. Some of that doesn’t hold up as well in 2020 though.

9 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Have you ever read The Dirt? That book was shocking because they would tell these insane stories in a nonchalant way like it was a typical Tuesday. I feel like all these rock and roll books have copied that writing pattern since. Some of that doesn’t hold up as well in 2020 though.

No. I did not read The Dirt. I am very familiar with The Crue and saw them in concert too for free. I worked at ,my college arena during my college years of 1980s. I like their music which is still good RockNRoll.   Did you  watch their movie, THE DIRT? Of course you did. It is running on Netflix. Funny, hilariously funny. Each of them, hysterically funny. Sadness for each of them . You felt sorrow for them all . They each pizzed you off too. Happy ever after ending too for each of them.  You felt  cheering them on.                                                                                   Their story of their life THEN  ,and was TRUE and yes it holds up.  It is not them today has not been for years ,years, seems like forever now.   From reviews here of Matts book, maybe he was trying to go like The Dirt, but he missed by not having the reader have all of those emotions for him and the end ,being on his side. Maybe he was trying to be like Gene Simmons , but that was Gene and for his fans, it is ok because He  is Kiss. He can do, say, go, etc. no wrong with Kiss fans. He- Owner, founder, decision maker, face of KISS. Matt is not in that position with groups of VR or GnR or The Cult.

Edited by Amaya
Spacing, typos
  • Like 1