Matt Sorum's Autobiography

On 24. 7. 2020 at 2:13 AM, Ant said:

What about L7!

b20c5ef2456fff8e61b446442799b0f5.jpg

Prolly couldn't walk afterwards. :D 

I'm 38, and I only discovered this band about a month ago. Yep, not joking. 

I thought: where the hell have you been all my life!? 

I absolutely love the song "Shitlist". Forget Cobain, this is gold. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I just finished the book and in fact Matt talks bad about nearly every single person he mentions in his book. 

Yes, it might be the GNR camp that stopped the release. But it also could be, just to give one example, Stephanie Seymour who simply doesn’t want a book to be published which states that she rubbed Matts balls under a table and tried to fuck the whole band behind Axl‘s back. 

Anyway, even if only half of the book is true, it takes a lot of glory from GNR and everything related (and I am not talking about the groupie thing because how could this be news to anyone?!) For instance, I am referring to the first Snakepit album. I always loved it, especially the vocals of Eric Dover. To date this album seemed to me like an album by a band who had lots of fun together and a band with a great chemistry between all members. I always saw it as the pure result and the opposite of what GNR was in 1995. Now I learned that Matt hated the vocals so much that he even asked Slash to delete all of his drumming from the recordings and to find a new drummer for the release. This was a real bummer for me. 

After all, Matt turns out like a very narcissistic person to me ... even though I always kind of saw him like that. He blames everyone for everything all the time but him. You won’t find a „I was wrong“ or „it was my bad“ in the whole book. 

I felt the same way about the Snakepit album. His disclosure bummed me out. He is quite narcissistic. The Stephanie Seymour disclosures were fucked up. He had no reason to reveal that information.  His backstage antics are just juvenile. I’m glad Slash and Duff were not like Matt. He claimed he had to school them to be rock stars. Slash and Duff are musicians first and foremost. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:36 AM, Creed said:

Haha, the lyrics for shitlist a funny. 'Pretend we're dead' sounds a lot like Puddle of Mudd 'She fuckin hates me'. So POM has stolen it somehow.

There are only 2 female rockbands that i like Heart and The Donnas. The drummer and lead guitarist are awesome.

This is also awesome 

I loved the donnas, what happened to them?.

I'll read the book when it comes out. I really don't mind Matt dishing out the dirt though. What makes Slash and Duff so fucking untouchable?

I liked Duff's book, it was very well written, but the political corectness annoyed me. Tell us something interesting for fucks sake. Burst some bubbles. He said so little about so many interesting things yet went on and on and on about his martial arts mumbo jumbo. Who gives. I bet I'll enjoy Matt's gossip more.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

I'll read the book when it comes out. I really don't mind Matt dishing out the dirt though. What makes Slash and Duff so fucking untouchable?

I liked Duff's book, it was very well written, but the political corectness annoyed me. Tell us something interesting for fucks sake. Burst some bubbles. He said so little about so many interesting things yet went on and on and on about his martial arts mumbo jumbo. Who gives. I bet I'll enjoy Matt's gossip more.

I guess it's a matter of either wanting to air you dirty laundry in public or not. I mean, everyone has some dirt on people they know well, but you can choose to be classy and respectful. And obviously Duff chose that route and told an interesting and reflecting story of his journey without throwing anyone under the bus. I think there's nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 12:02 AM, jamillos said:

I'm 38, and I only discovered this band about a month ago. Yep, not joking. 

I thought: where the hell have you been all my life!? 

I absolutely love the song "Shitlist". Forget Cobain, this is gold. 

Check out Holes first few releases, singles, EPs and first 2 albums. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I guess it's a matter of either wanting to air you dirty laundry in public or not. I mean, everyone has some dirt on people they know well, but you can choose to be classy and respectful. And obviously Duff chose that route and told an interesting and reflecting story of his journey without throwing anyone under the bus. I think there's nothing wrong with that. 

I don’t think Matt can tell a story without salacious gossip or making himself look like he is some rock star. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I agree with this and I think that Duff, while diplomatic, also had a really refreshing perspective.  Duff's mindset was hey who am I to lay blame considering I was messed up on drugs too and probably wasn't easy to deal with at times.

Whereas with Matt it isn't simply just dishing the dirt but at the same time not having any real self-reflection of his part in the dysfunction - hell even dressing up the dysfunction and debauchery as badass rock n' roll antics and not the former lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

On 28. 7. 2020 at 6:56 AM, jekylhyde said:

I respect the route Duff decided to take. I just couldn't help feeling it could be so much more interesting.

Duff is soft, can’t even give his friend and band mate of about 30 years a heads up or even give him an idea of what was happening.

I think it’s pretty cool Matt said “no thanks” to joining the semi reunion. He doesn’t need any bs in his life I guess

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Duff is soft, can’t even give his friend and band mate of about 30 years a heads up or even give him an idea of what was happening.

I think it’s pretty cool Matt said “no thanks” to joining the semi reunion. He doesn’t need any bs in his life I guess

We don't know the real background. My guess would be if Axl saw it as Slash + Duff being sort of one camp, he wanted to bring his own people too - hence Richard, Frank... If Matt was there (which I would prefer), it could be perceived kinda like Axl's NuGNR side vs VR again. I guess he wanted to have certain parts of the band "on his side" or whatever. But who knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoymatic said:

I think Matt was never considered to replace Frank as a band member cause maybe, like he said, he bad mouthed Axl in the press. and the only reason he turned down the offer to be a guest musician was that they didn't want to pay him enough money for it, just to cover expenses so if he really wanted to do it (like Steven did) he would have done it for free. He absolutely wanted that "bullshit" in his life imo. Maybe just too prideful and greedy. (no judgy)

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

We don't know the real background. My guess would be if Axl saw it as Slash + Duff being sort of one camp, he wanted to bring his own people too - hence Richard, Frank... If Matt was there (which I would prefer), it could be perceived kinda like Axl's NuGNR side vs VR again. I guess he wanted to have certain parts of the band "on his side" or whatever. But who knows. 

You are probably right. Further proof this is not a band. It’s a dysfunctional joke of a band while only purpose is lining the pockets of the band and their entourage. 

They’ve come a long way from the old loft behind guitar center with outdoor shower days 

44 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

You are probably right. Further proof this is not a band. It’s a dysfunctional joke of a band while only purpose is lining the pockets of the band and their entourage. 

They’ve come a long way from the old loft behind guitar center with outdoor shower days 

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

- Harvey Dent, 2008

• Like 1

I read in a spanish forum that they got contacted by Matts manager or Lawyer because they did a podcast about the leaked book and got told that wasnt the finished version and they were ruining Matts reputation (lol). There is not set date for its release, take it for what its worth. 

Link: 

(its in spanish)

• Haha 3