STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

8 minutes ago, downzy said:

I just read some of the mini reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. It does seem that the critics who panned the movie did so for the very reasons they loved TLJ: ROS doesn’t take many chances and is an exercise in fan service. 

Sounds good to me!

I caved and read a plot synopsis and I think it sounds great to be honest. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, downzy said:

I just read some of the mini reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. It does seem that the critics who panned the movie did so for the very reasons they loved TLJ: ROS doesn’t take many chances and is an exercise in fan service. 

Sounds good to me!

That's where my limited knowledge of cinema benefits me. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand people who are super duper passionate about Star Wars and movies in general, but I'm just not. 

I probably infuriate most cinephiles the way most casual music fans infuriate me lol. For me personally, I go to Star Wars films to watch laser swords, Jedis, the bad guys almost winning for a bit, then the good guys ultimately overcoming the odds and winning. 

The above paragraph probably explains why I loved TFA. The biggest reason I continue to object to TLJ is because it was so far off from the things I go to a Star Wars movie for. Speaking of TLJ, earlier in the thread I forgot to mention one other thing that I hated about it: the "prank call" that Poe made near the beginning was so stupid. It was like Johnson was trying to force a Marvel moment into a SW picture. That was the exact moment where I was like "Uh oh, I don't think I'm going to like this thing". 

In any case, I totally get people that live and die by these movies. I'm that way with many albums. Hell, there's certain albums out there that I'm going to defend until the day I die (CD, yes, but a lot of others too). However, I'm just not passionate enough about it to really hate on these things. Sure, I disliked TLJ for a number of reasons but not enough to write off this whole deal. Plus, it seems like JJ is batting clean up on everything I disliked anyway. 

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's where my limited knowledge of cinema benefits me. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand people who are super duper passionate about Star Wars and movies in general, but I'm just not. 

I probably infuriate most cinephiles the way most casual music fans infuriate me lol. For me personally, I go to Star Wars films to watch laser swords, Jedis, the bad guys almost winning for a bit, then the good guys ultimately overcoming the odds and winning. 

The above paragraph probably explains why I loved TFA. The biggest reason I continue to object to TLJ is because it was so far off from the things I go to a Star Wars movie for. Speaking of TLJ, earlier in the thread I forgot to mention one other thing that I hated about it: the "prank call" that Poe made near the beginning was so stupid. It was like Johnson was trying to force a Marvel moment into a SW picture. That was the exact moment where I was like "Uh oh, I don't think I'm going to like this thing". 

In any case, I totally get people that live and die by these movies. I'm that way with many albums. Hell, there's certain albums out there that I'm going to defend until the day I die (CD, yes, but a lot of others too). However, I'm just not passionate enough about it to really hate on these things. Sure, I disliked TLJ for a number of reasons but not enough to write off this whole deal. Plus, it seems like JJ is batting clean up on everything I disliked anyway. 

I didn’t like the prank call thing either. There are two fan edits of TLJ that I like to watch that both eliminate that part (among many other things throughout the film). That whole opening sequence flows A LOT better without the prank call imo.

• Like 1

In happier news, the entire Skywalker saga will be released in 4K in March 2020. It will consists of 27 discs in total. No word yet on what each disc will consist of, but here’s hoping we finally get the un-fucked version of the OT!

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/star-wars-saga-finally-arriving-on-ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-in-2020/

Edited by rocknroll41

18 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

In happier news, the entire Skywalker saga will be released in 4K in March 2020. It will consists of 27 discs in total. No word yet on what each disc will consist of, but here’s hoping we finally get the un-fucked version of the OT!

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/star-wars-saga-finally-arriving-on-ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-in-2020/

Can I get it cheaper on only 18 discs if I don't want the shitty prequels?

• Like 2

I know I'll enjoy this film when I go and see it but once the dust settles I know that I'll have the same complaints critics are having. Fan service is always great to experience at the time. Obviously I'll need to wait until I see to confirm how I feel, I'm look forward to it anyway. 

Edited by Jw224

28 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Very cool. The movies look amazing in 4K on Disney+ so I'm sure this set will look great. I would never count on getting the original versions, but 27 discs? There's only 9 movies, so here's hoping the originals are a part of all those extra discs. 

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I heard the following shite,

Reveal hidden contents

The Emperor in Jedi was just a crappy clone, and there are a lot of these clones floating around. Snork was presumably one.  

No, it’s more like this:

It’s never explained why the emperor is still alive. He just repeats his famous line from Episode 3 (the dark side is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural). Kylo meets him in a spooky lab where we see a bunch of deformed “failed” Snoke look-a-likes in vats. So Snoke is a clone (perhaps the only one that grew successfully), but Palpatine was never a clone. He’s always been the real deal. The Palpatine here, as far as we know, is the same one from RotJ. He survived (for reasons unknown).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You've already had some political disappointments recently Dazey: why set yourself up for a cinematic one? You know it'll all end in tears!

Get fucked you Geordie cunt! :lol: Brexit can still be stopped! Mark my words!!!! :lol: 

33 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I think it sounds great from the leaks I’ve read. :shrugs: 

I generally think I will enjoy the film. I think it's just the fact that they are marketing it as the end of the "Skywalker Saga" when this trilogy hasn't really been that, that kinda irks me the wrong way. Also relying heavily on nostalgia, old characters and fan service, whilst exciting and engaging to watch at the time usually makes a film of little substance. Which is what a lot of people are saying about this one. Don't get me wrong, TLJ clearly relied on this stuff as well, but it at least tried something different and tried to create an engaging story that had somewhat of a message at the same time. 

After me writing that you wouldn't think I'm excited to see it but I am 😂😁. I'm in it purely for Palpatine at this point lol. 

Edited by Jw224