STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

17 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I dunno, I feel like fans don't know what they are wanting. Fans reacted negatively to TLJ because it did things they weren't expecting, and are trying to blame Rian when all he did was follow the plot points JJ had already set up and try to be creative with them. There are parts of TLJ that I would have probably done differently, but Rian didn't really have much say in a lot of stuff that was already set up by JJ. (Luke being exiled being the main thing, he wasn't going to abandon his friends and run away to an island and then suddenly want to return and fight in the next film, that would make no sense). The crew and a lot of fans are throwing Rian under the bus recently for no reason and it's sad to see. I have also seen that fans who think this film is bad are trying to blame Rian for it as well, somehow. The plot points for this film are questionable, and I don't think a lot of fans are into it, but the way the film has been made is down to how fans reacted to TLJ, IMO. 

This film is bad, plot point wise, because they had no concept of what the trilogy was gonna be over three movies. They set something up with 7, gave Johnson free reign to dismantle/abort/ignore everything that was set up previously in his movie and now somehow had to rail it all back in to get to where they started with 7/make sense of it. So really, Johnson is not the only one to blame for this. It's the producers, who had no clue and gave no guideline on what can and can not happen in Johnson's movie. And really, that they shit on everything that a Jedi is about and is capable or not capable of doing is on them. Not Johnson. The only thing I really hate Johnson for is that stupid force projection fight and Luke dying for no apparent reason. It's stupid as hell. As is that Leia space float. Other than that, maybe that Rey heritage thing aside, but I could look at that as just Ren bullshitting and playing with her (who says the villain has to be truthful all the time?) I'm really content with what Johnson did.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I dunno, I feel like fans don't know what they are wanting. Fans reacted negatively to TLJ because it did things they weren't expecting, and are trying to blame Rian when all he did was follow the plot points JJ had already set up and try to be creative with them. There are parts of TLJ that I would have probably done differently, but Rian didn't really have much say in a lot of stuff that was already set up by JJ. (Luke being exiled being the main thing, he wasn't going to abandon his friends and run away to an island and then suddenly want to return and fight in the next film, that would make no sense). The crew and a lot of fans are throwing Rian under the bus recently for no reason and it's sad to see. I have also seen that fans who think this film is bad are trying to blame Rian for it as well, somehow. The plot points for this film are questionable, and I don't think a lot of fans are into it, but the way the film has been made is down to how fans reacted to TLJ, IMO. 

Yeah starwars is kinda caught in a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” loop that becomes more and more apparent with each movie. It’ll be interesting to see if future films will suffer from the same predicament, now that the Skywalker “trilogy of trilogies” is over. I’d like to imagine they won’t, and they we are heading for a brighter and better future for the movies going into the 2020’s. We’ll see, tho.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah starwars is kinda caught in a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” loop that becomes more and more apparent with each movie. It’ll be interesting to see if future films will suffer from the same predicament, now that the Skywalker “trilogy of trilogies” is over. I’d like to imagine they won’t, and they we are heading for a brighter and better future for the movies going into the 2020’s. We’ll see, tho.

I'm honestly really hopeful for what comes after this. It seems like Disney know that this trilogy has not been the best it could have been. Bob Iger recently described trilogies as hard to do lol. I hope they don't try to go all MCU with it, though. 

14 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I'm honestly really hopeful for what comes after this. It seems like Disney know that this trilogy has not been the best it could have been. Bob Iger recently described trilogies as hard to do lol. I hope they don't try to go all MCU with it, though. 

I think they should, literally, just go one movie at a time, and focus on just one era (no more jumping around). Just make a Knights of the Old Republic movie, and see where it goes from there.

I see a lot of people hoping for a Knights movie next. I know nothing about Knights and I'm really glad to be honest. If that's where they go next, I'd rather go in blind and be able to enjoy it. 

It really does seem like nothing is going to make Star Wars fans happy, so I'm glad I'm ignorant enough on the subject to just take it for what it is and enjoy it. 

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I see a lot of people hoping for a Knights movie next. I know nothing about Knights and I'm really glad to be honest. If that's where they go next, I'd rather go in blind and be able to enjoy it. 

It really does seem like nothing is going to make Star Wars fans happy, so I'm glad I'm ignorant enough on the subject to just take it for what it is and enjoy it. 

The second Knights game would probably be the best one to adapt. It really “deconstructs” The Force itself in all sorts of different ways. The characters from the first game are a tad more iconic tho. Maybe some kinda hybrid of the two games would be best (if that’s even possible).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Murrell completely summarises the problems with this entire trilogy,

I like Dan Murrell. He liked TFA, but didn’t like TLJ or this new one (as can be seen in this video). It’s a shame. As a fan, I want other fans to be happy, but you can’t please everyone. Oh well.

God already the critics are panning this last Star Wars. It doesn't matter because fans will see it anyway, I can't believe it's really ending. So many years and so many lives have been touched by these movies. Not sure if I will get to see it in the theatre, but for sure I will get the Blue Ray.

I know it'll do well and it'll be sad to see it all end.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm about 13 hours away from my 330am showing! 

How exciting! i know you'll have a blast! Seeing the Star Wars movies have always made you feel like you are there with them. Billy D back in action! How cool is that?

• Like 1

Based on leaks I wasn't expecting much - better said, I was sure this film will suck (big time). But I just saw it and... wow. Liked it pretty much. Visually is great, music is outstanding. They really throw too much at you at the same time, but it's been a ton of (good or bad) material since 1977 and to make a closure is pretty hard job to do. I wasn't disappointed at all!

Chewie finally got his medal! And was used much more in this film as in The Last Jedi where he just does nothing. Also, my favorite scene... at the very end when Poe kinda gives "the look" to his ex-girlfriend(?) and she is just

"nope". Ok then... :lol:

And, um... was the kiss  really necessary? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Based on leaks I wasn't expecting much - better said, I was sure this film will suck (big time). But I just saw it and... wow. Liked it pretty much. Visually is great, music is outstanding. They really throw too much at you at the same time, but it's been a ton of (good or bad) material since 1977 and to make a closure is pretty hard job to do. I wasn't disappointed at all!

Hide contents

Right. Visuals and music. Nevermind the lack of coherent story. They managed to pull the wool over your eyes. 

5 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

^yep, today I don't care too much about the story. But the film has some strong moments when your heart just broke a little - like Chewie's reaction when Leia dies. Or seeing Han Solo (thank god he is not shown as a force ghost).

I found that reaction totally over the top, especially as she died for no apparent reason. Just like Luke. No one knows why they died. Jedi Masters who just drop dead for no reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

I found that reaction totally over the top, especially as she died for no apparent reason. Just like Luke. No one knows why they died. Jedi Masters who just drop dead for no reason.

It is clear why luke died. I think choosing to not accept an explanation is different than there not being one 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I found that reaction totally over the top, especially as she died for no apparent reason.

She died because Carrie Fisher died and they had to rely on previously shot footage for her scenes in the movie.

• Haha 1

I didn't really think about it till after, but John Boyega's moves from being 1 of the centeral characters of previous films to just a side kick in the background.

Apart from 1 scene near the end and that might be pushing it, does his character really do anything? There also isn't really that much interaction between him Rey except a scene near the start. I mean they are in multiple scenes together, but they don't really talk.

I mean it's not like that was as much of a problem as the reused plot and the video game pacing/set up, but it is a little weird.

Also the Emperor having the power to shoot force lighting at all the rebels ships takes the cake for silliest scene.

Just 1 last thing, these films would have been much better if they just ditched the empire altogether, along with planet blowing up weapons and came up with a new story. However if d/d are involved with the next steps, perhaps people will look back at this one a little more fondly.

Just seen it. Fairly piss poor really. The film is on amphetamines: a million scenes are piled-up against each other, never allowing any of them to breath. A million different characters are introduced. Gratuitous fan service throughout. The Ewok's cameo was cheesy as hell. And I could have done with the CGI horses riding on the Star Destroyer. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

Back from the theater. The “Star Wars fan” part of my brain loved it! However, the “movie analysis” part of my brain didn’t like it at all. With that being said, I didn’t need this to be a good “movie.” I just needed it to be a good Star Wars. So (overall) I’m happy, and I’m (mostly) at peace with the saga.

I don’t quite know how to explain this but, even though I know this movie is objectively bad, something about it just “felt” right to me. It really left me on Cloud 9!

ill give more thoughts and a ranking in the spoiler thread, once I’ve had time to process it more.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

I was shocked to feel like I was watching a Michael Bay Transformer movie. And one of the Transformer sequels - at that.

There was just no coherence. It was crammed frame to frame with whiz-bang action and people running places and making quips and NO SENSE to narrative.

The film begins and you’re stupefied at the “why” and “how” of the plot and things just happen. Lots of things.

Very few moments work in this movie, at all. As far as narrative deliverance - holy shit, I’m going to pretend Last Jedi was the final film in this slate of New Jack Skywalker.

This movie falls off the screen.