STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

44 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I posted at the same time you replied lol. My wife did find seats together for 845 tonight, so my son's evening is saved! 

Nice, have fun! Hope your kid enjoys it too! Star Wars is for kids first and foremost, at the end of the day.

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

The whole thing. I’m really gutted to be honest. I really wanted to like this one but it bored the tits off me all the way through. :( 

Sorry you didn’t like it. I remember you were looking forward to it, if I recall correctly. :/ oh well. Maybe you’ll like one of the future spinoffs!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Nice, have fun!

Sorry you didn’t like it. I remember you were looking forward to it, if I recall correctly. :/ oh well. Maybe you’ll like one of the future spinoffs!

Just to clarify I don’t wish death on anybody who did enjoy it. :lol: I just found myself utterly bored and rolling my eyes at it for the majority of the run time. Just a little bit gutted is all. :( 

Edited by Dazey

The thing with who the blame falls on for TLJ is, Disney has a pretty atrocious track record with directors for Disney so far. In fact, more directors have been canned than have released a film they were originally slated to direct. If they didn’t like what Johnson was doing, he’d have been gone in a heartbeat. So that means either the trilogy really was made up as they went along, or there was a plan and Johnson stuck to it (Or a third far less likely option that Johnson went off script and Disney was just like “meh, okay”). So as far as I’m concerned, Disney is still the one to blame. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, that will relieve the pressure!

Did you enjoy the scene where they are riding on the star destroyer on digital horses? 

No🤣 that scene is definetely not what killed this movie for me and is quite ignorable, but, boy, I cringed. Felt almost like a Marvel flick.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

The thing with who the blame falls on for TLJ is, Disney has a pretty atrocious track record with directors for Disney so far. In fact, more directors have been canned than have released a film they were originally slated to direct. If they didn’t like what Johnson was doing, he’d have been gone in a heartbeat. So that means either the trilogy really was made up as they went along, or there was a plan and Johnson stuck to it (Or a third far less likely option that Johnson went off script and Disney was just like “meh, okay”). So as far as I’m concerned, Disney is still the one to blame. 

I think Disney likes making money.

They probably thought Johnson was going to make them as much, if not more, money than Abrams with the first one.  When the backlash hit over TLJ, they brought Abrams back.

I get they were trying to upend typical blockbuster conventions, just like Empire upended what people knew and expected back 40 years ago.  It was a bold play.  But for too many, myself included, it just didn't work.  They would have been wise to let Johnson play around and push concepts inherent in Star Wars with a separate and distinct trilogy.  Instead they let him kind of shit on the legacy of Luke and discard some of the mystery Abrams had setup in TFA.  Star Wars films are always best when there's a group chemistry dynamic and TLJ had none of that whereas TFA benefited from having Harrison Ford reprise his role as Solo.  

• GNFNR 1

51 minutes ago, downzy said:

I think Disney likes making money.

They probably thought Johnson was going to make them as much, if not more, money than Abrams with the first one.  When the backlash hit over TLJ, they brought Abrams back.

I get they were trying to upend typical blockbuster conventions, just like Empire upended what people knew and expected back 40 years ago.  It was a bold play.  But for too many, myself included, it just didn't work.  They would have been wise to let Johnson play around and push concepts inherent in Star Wars with a separate and distinct trilogy.  Instead they let him kind of shit on the legacy of Luke and discard some of the mystery Abrams had setup in TFA.  Star Wars films are always best when there's a group chemistry dynamic and TLJ had none of that whereas TFA benefited from having Harrison Ford reprise his role as Solo.  

Fair enough, I’m not going to argue with any of that. I fully understand both schools of thought on why people like or dislike each of the sequel films, and both sides make excellent points for or against every film. I have my opinions on TFA and TLJ but I by no means consider them to be the “right” opinion, so to speak. I just don’t think it’s fair to pin a majority of the blame on Johnson for TLJ, and to an extent the entire trilogy for not working as well as it could. At the end of the day Disney has the final say over all of this, and as can be evidenced by the number of directors they’ve Sacked since acquiring Lucasfilm, they’d have had no problem doing the same with Johnson if they didn’t like what he was doing for any reason. Not to mention he, as of right now, is still slated to do his own trilogy. 

I saw it tonight and it was okay. I don't really know what to think of it. Could have used more plot and explaining of why things are happening. Some things are just glossed over and I don't really understand why. I saw rumours ages ago that this was going to be two films and I really feel like it should have been. 

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

The whole thing. I’m really gutted to be honest. I really wanted to like this one but it bored the tits off me all the way through. :( 

I grew up on fantasy and sci fi, but I was checking the phone clock in the final third too.

It was too obvious where everything was going. It did really feel like they went through a checklist of things to fit in first, before they wrote a script.

The final battle was too silly.

Edited by AtariLegend

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Liked even more the second time. Caught a lot of things I missed the first time. 

I will say I’ve read a lot of things that I missed the first time around that have me excited to see it again. I’m sure I’ll be seeing it a couple more times as I always do with Star Wars, including in IMAX when I get home from Australia. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Liked even more the second time. Caught a lot of things I missed the first time. 

Nice! What did the family think?

I saw some little kids at McDonald’s playing with the new Rise of Skywalker happy meal toys, and they seemed really into it. Maybe it’s true that little kids of today will grow up to defend this trilogy, like the kids of the time of the prequels did.

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I just don’t think it’s fair to pin a majority of the blame on Johnson for TLJ, and to an extent the entire trilogy for not working as well as it could

That's fair.  Kathleen Kennedy and Disney ultimately had the final call on the direction of the trilogy.  I guess they assumed that handing the reigns to one director as too big of a risk and wanted something more along the lines of Empire, where a different director was brought in to help mould Lucas's vision.  

Without having seen ROS yet, my bet is the final film was likely going to be very different than what we finally got.  Perhaps the problem was that with every film there was an effort to course correct.  TFA was viewed by many as too safe, too similar to what came before it.  So they went another way with TLJ and it didn't land well with many fans.  So now they're back to safe and fan-servicing since it made more money the first time out.  

My only disagreement, or I should disappointment, with Johnson is not respecting or honour what was laid down in TFA.  I get the need to push boundaries, but for me what he did with Luke's character and Rey's lineage felt wrong. All that setup in TFA for disappointment and nothingness.  

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Not to mention he, as of right now, is still slated to do his own trilogy. 

Is this still a go?  I thought it might be on hold.  I believe I read somewhere that Johnson mentioned how he still hoped it was a go.  

• GNFNR 1

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just got out of seeing it again. I have a question:

What way Finn going to tell Rey? If he finally said it, I must have missed it both times somehow. 

He didn't. JJ said it was that he wanted to tell her he can use the Force

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Nice! What did the family think?

I saw some little kids at McDonald’s playing with the new Rise of Skywalker happy meal toys, and they seemed really into it. Maybe it’s true that little kids of today will grow up to defend this trilogy, like the kids of the time of the prequels did.

My son looooooved it. My wife is fairly indifferent to SW and she even liked it. 

• Like 1