STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He didn't. JJ said it was that he wanted to tell her he can use the Force

Right on. OK. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious. I just told my son that my guess was that he wanted to tell her he can use the Force, then I read your post. Good to know I guessed right! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, downzy said:

Is this still a go?  I thought it might be on hold.  I believe I read somewhere that Johnson mentioned how he still hoped it was a go.  

Yeah he said in an interview “I hope it still happens” but then he walked back on that comment a few days later and said it was still a go. Not sure if he was just bullshitting. We’ll see, I guess. In the meantime, he’s getting ready to do another one of his own movie’s first.

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah he said in an interview “I hope it still happens” but then he walked back on that comment a few days later and said it was still a go. Not sure if he was just bullshitting. We’ll see, I guess. In the meantime, he’s getting ready to do another one of his own movie’s first.

I like Rhian Johnson as a filmmaker.  Looper was fantastic and I really wanted to see Knives Out.  I still wouldn't mind seeing what he would do if given his own trilogy where he could do his own thing and not shit on what came before. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I was really hoping to see Darth Maul and baby Yoda (maybe not a baby anymire) in this one.

Was it ever explained how they found Anakin's light saber from episode 5? Is it an EU thing?

Was cool to see Leia become a Jedi, but sucks at how it happened.

How come Palpatine's son/daughter didnt have special powers?

36 minutes ago, downzy said:

I like Rhian Johnson as a filmmaker.  Looper was fantastic and I really wanted to see Knives Out.  I still wouldn't mind seeing what he would do if given his own trilogy where he could do his own thing and not shit on what came before. 

I thought TLJ was just okay, but I love Looper and also love his newest film, Knives Out. Easily one of my top 5 favorite films this year!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downzy said:

That's fair.  Kathleen Kennedy and Disney ultimately had the final call on the direction of the trilogy.  I guess they assumed that handing the reigns to one director as too big of a risk and wanted something more along the lines of Empire, where a different director was brought in to help mould Lucas's vision.  

Without having seen ROS yet, my bet is the final film was likely going to be very different than what we finally got.  Perhaps the problem was that with every film there was an effort to course correct.  TFA was viewed by many as too safe, too similar to what came before it.  So they went another way with TLJ and it didn't land well with many fans.  So now they're back to safe and fan-servicing since it made more money the first time out.  

My only disagreement, or I should disappointment, with Johnson is not respecting or honour what was laid down in TFA.  I get the need to push boundaries, but for me what he did with Luke's character and Rey's lineage felt wrong. All that setup in TFA for disappointment and nothingness.  

Is this still a go?  I thought it might be on hold.  I believe I read somewhere that Johnson mentioned how he still hoped it was a go.  

There’s been no official news on Johnson’s trilogy whether it be progress or cancellation. All that’s been officially said by Disney is when it was first announced shortly after TLJ was released. 

I think both Abrams and Johnson could've come up with a decent trilogy independently if Disney had given them the opportunity (and given Abrams and co. the extra year they wanted to work on the TFA script before entering production). Instead, you have two creative forces going for different things, each trying to cram two or three films worth of plot and character beats in a single entry. TLJ felt in some ways like the conclusion to a story, while TROS felt like the middle and concluding entries of a trilogy crammed into one. Not saying they had to have three scripts locked down before shooting one, but having a sense of general plot beats that they wanted to hit would have helped.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

From the Development section of The Force Awakens on Wikipedia:

The Force Awakens' first screenplay was written by Michael Arndt. Early drafts had Luke appear midway through the film, but Arndt found that "every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over. Suddenly you didn't care about your main character anymore." Luke became the film's MacGuffin and does not appear in person until the final scene.

Arndt worked on the script for eight months, but said he needed 18 more, which was more time than Disney or Abrams could give him. The production announced Arndt's exit from the project on October 24, 2013, and Kasdan and Abrams took over script duties. Abrams expressed relief that the release date was announced for December 2015 instead of a previously discussed summer release.[106] He and Kasdan planned the story while walking in Santa Monica, New York City, Paris and London. The first draft was completed in six weeks.

Abrams stated that he purposely withheld some plot elements from The Force Awakens, such as Rey and Finn's last names and backgrounds. Kennedy admitted that "we haven't mapped out every single detail [of the sequel trilogy] yet", but said that Abrams was collaborating with The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson, and that Johnson would work with The Rise of Skywalker's then-director Colin Trevorrow to ensure a smooth transition and that "everybody's got a say in how we move forward with this".

8 hours ago, downzy said:

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I thought TLJ was just okay, but I love Looper and also love his newest film, Knives Out. Easily one of my top 5 favorite films this year!

Knives Out was excellent. Really loved it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, downzy said:

That's fair.  Kathleen Kennedy and Disney ultimately had the final call on the direction of the trilogy.  I guess they assumed that handing the reigns to one director as too big of a risk and wanted something more along the lines of Empire, where a different director was brought in to help mould Lucas's vision.  

Without having seen ROS yet, my bet is the final film was likely going to be very different than what we finally got.  Perhaps the problem was that with every film there was an effort to course correct.  TFA was viewed by many as too safe, too similar to what came before it.  So they went another way with TLJ and it didn't land well with many fans.  So now they're back to safe and fan-servicing since it made more money the first time out.  

My only disagreement, or I should disappointment, with Johnson is not respecting or honour what was laid down in TFA.  I get the need to push boundaries, but for me what he did with Luke's character and Rey's lineage felt wrong. All that setup in TFA for disappointment and nothingness.  

What he did with Luke made absolute sense with what was set up in the previous film. Luke didn't leave his friends and sister and go to an island to live in TFA to just go "okay" and come back waving his lightsaber about. That would have made no sense. I also don't understand at all why fans were obsessed with Rey being related to someone important, that is really boring at this point. Rey being nobody was emotional and surprising. I personally hope Rian Johnson does get to do his own trilogy. I think it could have great potential. 

11 hours ago, Coma16 said:

I was really hoping to see Darth Maul and baby Yoda (maybe not a baby anymire) in this one.

Was it ever explained how they found Anakin's light saber from episode 5? Is it an EU thing?

Was cool to see Leia become a Jedi, but sucks at how it happened.

How come Palpatine's son/daughter didnt have special powers?

Maul is dead. He died in the official canon cartoon that takes place between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy.

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Maul is dead. He died in the official canon cartoon that takes place between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy.

No one is ever really deal lol Being that he was in the end of Solo, I was hoping he'd see more of him again. I need to watch Clone Wars...

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

No one is ever really deal lol Being that he was in the end of Solo, I was hoping he'd see more of him again. I need to watch Clone Wars...

In the cartoon (which takes place after Solo), obi-wan stabs him in the chest and buries his lifeless corpse in the sand. I’d be surprised if Maul somehow came back from that. Then again, like you said, no one is ever really dead. If Palpatine can survive getting thrown in a reactor, then all bets are off! :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Variety updated their report. They’re now saying only $176 million for domestic opening weekend:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/12/22/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-has-176-million-opening-weekend.html

Still pretty good. Kind of a bummer, tho.

That article is hilarious. They mention several times that it's Rotten Tomatoes score is 58% without me making mention of the fact that the audience score is far higher. 

Then they mention that the preview box office was the 5th biggest in cinema history but claim that those ticket sales were from before the critic's reviews came out. Lol! As if a ton of SW fans wouldn't have bought tickets to early shows if the super smart critics had only been able to warn them. 

I would go into a trilogy from Rian very cautious. There's things like a 40 slow speed chase and the Marvel type prank call from TLJ that I would never want to see in another SW movie. 

If he set up his own story from the beginning, maybe things would turn out better overall.