STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

I saw it again and enjoyed it a lot more, but my other complaints about the film still stand, can't help but feel like it was a bit of a waste. I'm particularly annoyed that Ian came back for this film, if they were gonna bring him back I would rather it had been in a better film. The parts that he is in he's great as always but I think it's a shame. 

Edited by Jw224

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That article is hilarious. They mention several times that it's Rotten Tomatoes score is 58% without me making mention of the fact that the audience score is far higher. 

Then they mention that the preview box office was the 5th biggest in cinema history but claim that those ticket sales were from before the critic's reviews came out. Lol! As if a ton of SW fans wouldn't have bought tickets to early shows if the super smart critics had only been able to warn them. 

Projections bumped up a bit to $178 million now actually.

• Like 1

So I wrote down my thoughts on reddit, so I'll just put them here and add a bit as well.

So I have seen the movie twice now and I can say that I enjoyed it more the second time around, probably because I can accept it for what it is.

My main Gripes with the movie are as follows

The movie seemed rushed, a lot of throwaway lines "I made Snoke", how Palpatine actually returned etc. I know not everything needs to explained but this is the last part in a trilogy and nothing that happens in this film was set up in the last. So it's very jarring to have stuff explained by the cast saying "he's been pulling the strings" and stuff like that, it took me out of the movie so much. 

Direct contradictions to the previous movie, kylo rebuilding his helmet for literally no reason, him suddenly being a sith (someone has since pointed out to me that it doesn't specify he is sith, although I still feel his actions contradict the last film) and for some reason looking for Palpatine because he is challenging his power, even though at the end of the last film he wanted to destroy both the sith and the jedi to start something new.

The fact that Ian came back for this movie, I love his portrayal of Palpatine and every second of his performance in this film for me was great, I just think it's a shame it had to happen in this film.

The whole Rey is a Palpatine thing, just seems like JJ wanted throw TLJ under the bus and retcon his decisions for no reason. I guess it's how they justified Palpatine returning in this movie.

I liked seeing Mark again but it seemed rather forced within the film, I don't have a problem with him coming back but in the film it felt rather strange to me.

Rey taking the Skywalker name was forced I felt, I think the film could have ended without that happening, easily.

I will say I enjoyed the stuff with Kylo and Rey, I felt that was all very well done, and Leia calling for him was sweet. Honestly Adam was the highlight of the film. I don't have an issue with Ben dying as he had done too much to have a redemption and live, I think it could have been done differently though. The Han vision I thought was done very well, and I liked how it mirrored the interaction for TFA but Kylo was able to commit to what he wanted. Anakin not appearing didn't bother me as it would have made no sense and is an unfortunate consequence of the way this trilogy was made.

What did you guys think?

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

So I wrote down my thoughts on reddit, so I'll just put them here and add a bit as well.

So I have seen the movie twice now and I can say that I enjoyed it more the second time around, probably because I can accept it for what it is.

My main Gripes with the movie are as follows

The movie seemed rushed, a lot of throwaway lines "I made Snoke", how Palpatine actually returned etc. I know not everything needs to explained but this is the last part in a trilogy and nothing that happens in this film was set up in the last. So it's very jarring to have stuff explained by the cast saying "he's been pulling the strings" and stuff like that, it took me out of the movie so much. 

Direct contradictions to the previous movie, kylo rebuilding his helmet for literally no reason, him suddenly being a sith (someone has since pointed out to me that it doesn't specify he is sith, although I still feel his actions contradict the last film) and for some reason looking for Palpatine because he is challenging his power, even though at the end of the last film he wanted to destroy both the sith and the jedi to start something new.

The fact that Ian came back for this movie, I love his portrayal of Palpatine and every second of his performance in this film for me was great, I just think it's a shame it had to happen in this film.

The whole Rey is a Palpatine thing, just seems like JJ wanted throw TLJ under the bus and retcon his decisions for no reason. I guess it's how they justified Palpatine returning in this movie.

I liked seeing Mark again but it seemed rather forced within the film, I don't have a problem with him coming back but in the film it felt rather strange to me.

Rey taking the Skywalker name was forced I felt, I think the film could have ended without that happening, easily.

I will say I enjoyed the stuff with Kylo and Rey, I felt that was all very well done, and Leia calling for him was sweet. Honestly Adam was the highlight of the film. I don't have an issue with Ben dying as he had done too much to have a redemption and live, I think it could have been done differently though. The Han vision I thought was done very well, and I liked how it mirrored the interaction for TFA but Kylo was able to commit to what he wanted. Anakin not appearing didn't bother me as it would have made no sense and is an unfortunate consequence of the way this trilogy was made.

What did you guys think?

OK... I agree that it feels rushed but I really feel like all of the rushing was because JJs full intent was to undo TLJ. So he had a lot of that to do, along with telling his progression of the story and having to wrap up the whole saga. 

The only line that I felt was really forced was "he's been pulling the strings". Forced isn't even the right word for me. I think unnecessary is the right word. As soon as we knew Palpatine was back, we didn't really need to be told he's was pulling the strings. That would be obvious to anyone in the galaxy with knowledge of him and the situation the characters were currently in. 

I might be too forgiving about Ren rebuilding his helmet, but I felt like that was supposed to show resolver. Like thinking was "fuck all these conflicting feelings, this is who I am" and his attire, helmet included, reflects his identity. 

I love that Ian came back as well but since we differ on the film overall, I find myself delighted that his performance was in this particular film. 

Regarding Luke returning, again I think that's just JJ undoing TLJ. I really like a lot of the dialog he had. He just felt "more Luke" to me than the guy he was in TLJ. 

I do agree that Rey didn't need to actually say Skywalker at the end, but I feel like it was obvious she'd chosen them as her family so I get why she said it. I feel like if she didn't actually say the name, there would be a whole section of the internet yelling "...AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN SAY WHAT HER NAME WAS!!" lol 

To your last point: I either hadn't read it or completely forgot that Han was going to be in the movie. I was stunned twice by that moment actually. When he said "Hey kid", I was like "No shit?? They got Ford to do a voice over? Sweet!" then when the camera panned, I was like "holy fuck, he's actually there?!". Maybe I'm a simple movie viewer, but that was fun for me. 

In the end, I've said this several times but it was everything I wanted it to be. I wanted JJ to blow up TLJ and I got it. I wanted a fast paced movie that felt like a SW movie (the opposite of TLJ) and I got it. I wanted to see satisfying endings for many of my favorite characters and I got it. So for me, it was a win all around. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

OK... I agree that it feels rushed but I really feel like all of the rushing was because JJs full intent was to undo TLJ. So he had a lot of that to do, along with telling his progression of the story and having to wrap up the whole saga. 

The only line that I felt was really forced was "he's been pulling the strings". Forced isn't even the right word for me. I think unnecessary is the right word. As soon as we knew Palpatine was back, we didn't really need to be told he's was pulling the strings. That would be obvious to anyone in the galaxy with knowledge of him and the situation the characters were currently in. 

I might be too forgiving about Ren rebuilding his helmet, but I felt like that was supposed to show resolver. Like thinking was "fuck all these conflicting feelings, this is who I am" and his attire, helmet included, reflects his identity. 

I love that Ian came back as well but since we differ on the film overall, I find myself delighted that his performance was in this particular film. 

Regarding Luke returning, again I think that's just JJ undoing TLJ. I really like a lot of the dialog he had. He just felt "more Luke" to me than the guy he was in TLJ. 

I do agree that Rey didn't need to actually say Skywalker at the end, but I feel like it was obvious she'd chosen them as her family so I get why she said it. I feel like if she didn't actually say the name, there would be a whole section of the internet yelling "...AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN SAY WHAT HER NAME WAS!!" lol 

To your last point: I either hadn't read it or completely forgot that Han was going to be in the movie. I was stunned twice by that moment actually. When he said "Hey kid", I was like "No shit?? They got Ford to do a voice over? Sweet!" then when the camera panned, I was like "holy fuck, he's actually there?!". Maybe I'm a simple movie viewer, but that was fun for me. 

In the end, I've said this several times but it was everything I wanted it to be. I wanted JJ to blow up TLJ and I got it. I wanted a fast paced movie that felt like a SW movie (the opposite of TLJ) and I got it. I wanted to see satisfying endings for many of my favorite characters and I got it. So for me, it was a win all around. 

I appreciate that the film felt rushed because JJ wanted to undo TLJ, but I don't think that's good filmmaking and I think that just because you personally wanted him to do that it doesn't justify rushing the final film in a saga and making it feel disconnected. The film wouldn't have felt rushed if JJ had just led off the last film instead of pretending it didn't exist. I also don't think using what happened in TLJ as an excuse for the state of this film is really valid as I mentioned before. 

I didn't mind Luke returning, he had the same attitude he had at the end of TLJ, that fear and failure are to be learned from and not hidden away from, and I think it was nice that he was able to say that to Rey. I don't know if it was Mark's performance or the way they did the force ghost effects but it seemed a bit off to me. 

I did love Ian's performance, I especially liked the "as I once fell" part. I also like that he accidentally discovered that they had a bond and then changed his plan and drained their life force. I only wish the film had more time develop his plans and stuff, it all felt rather rushed. 

Honestly I feel the same way about the helmet but in the other direction. Him destroying it in TLJ was clearly to me saying "I don't need this" and that he felt he no longer needed a mask. Having him repair it really undoes that for no reason. 

I agree about the Han thing, I thought it was really well done, and even though it was in Kylo's head I thought it was quite emotional. The stuff with Leia was probably as well done as it could have been considering the circumstances, I liked that she called out to Ben as her final act. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as you did 😁. I definitely enjoyed it more and found more emotionally stimulating the second time I went to see it. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Still a lot worse than both VII and VIII (too lazy to check), no? 

In my opinion it’s not as “well made” or “well structured” as the other two, but has more “heart” than both of those movies did.

EDIT: oh you meant the box office results. My bad!

Edited by rocknroll41

8 hours ago, Coma16 said:

No one is ever really deal lol Being that he was in the end of Solo, I was hoping he'd see more of him again. I need to watch Clone Wars...

Watch Clone Wars. There're some filler episodes that are basically like Obi-Wan and Anakin go to a planet and win without doing anything special but there're a lot of episodes that add A LOT to the whole Anakin story and a lot of backstory to the Jedi order and Siths. Also, it's fun on it's own :D 

New Spoiler assessment by Murrell and co which I completely agree with.

A good point is raised. If they filmed the original trilogy like they filmed this one they would have retconned the twist in Empire for Return of the Jedi, ignoring Vader being Luke's father. Who makes films like this? All that cash! All these resources! It is insanity that this trilogy had so little planning and ended up such a mess!! 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

For the record.. JJ also did the screenplay for Armageddon. The Micheal Bay film where the only way to save the world is to have a bunch drunken Oil Drillers train to fly a Rocket into space and land on an asteroid rather than have NASA train people to operate drills.

Then there's Star Trek Into Darkness (the most hated thing to come from Star Trek in decades) and the Cloverfield sequels. 

Just saying. Not sure where this idea that JJ is this genius and everyone else is to blame came from.

The Last Jedi wasn't a great film, but if you remove certain parts from it... it's okay. At least there's character development. 1 last thing too, I'd take Looper over any JJ film.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

I enjoyed it more than I thought, from a purely entertainment stand point. The entire film felt like it was digging itself out of the hole from the last two films; and it turned out better than I thought. But, much like TLJ, some minor decisions from Disney could’ve added a little more to the film. NO ONE DIES EXCEPT KYLO. Wtf.. no real tension at all. I loved Ian’s voice work as Palpatine, he felt so fucking evil. But the knights of ren disappointed, the reason for palpatine being back was sluggish, a couple of added deus ex machinas later and the film could’ve been better.

still, I enjoyed it more than Force Awakens. Still, more planet killing things. Same old shit.

i reallllllllly enjoyed the “be with me” Rey scene at the end. Getting more Mace Windew in my life is something I didn’t know I needed. Probably feel different with second viewing; so might edit this later

5 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I enjoyed it more than I thought, from a purely entertainment stand point. The entire film felt like it was digging itself out of the hole from the last two films; and it turned out better than I thought. But, much like TLJ, some minor decisions from Disney could’ve added a little more to the film. NO ONE DIES EXCEPT KYLO. Wtf.. no real tension at all. I loved Ian’s voice work as Palpatine, he felt so fucking evil. But the knights of ren disappointed, the reason for palpatine being back was sluggish, a couple of added deus ex machinas later and the film could’ve been better.

still, I enjoyed it more than Force Awakens. Still, more planet killing things. Same old shit.

i reallllllllly enjoyed the “be with me” Rey scene at the end. Getting more Mace Windew in my life is something I didn’t know I needed. Probably feel different with second viewing; so might edit this later

Kylo dying was the only way, you don't give a mass murderer Redemption then let him live. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

All that sealed with a magical Disney princess kiss...

On 21/12/2019 at 9:32 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Well, that will relieve the pressure!

Did you enjoy the scene where they are riding on the star destroyer on digital horses? 

Mate, it was utter arse gravy from start to finish and I’m really annoyed at that.

For me, the biggest eye roll moment came when she holds up the dagger and the shape just happens to fit perfectly against the silhouette of the Death Star wreckage. Now correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the dagger supposed to be some ancient relic? If so then how the fuck did it fit the outline of the 30 year old wreckage? :lol: 

Also how did she just happen to be in the exact right spot for that to work? Like in an alternate cut the Emperor wins because Rey was standing 6 feet to the right. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

38 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Mate, it was utter arse gravy from start to finish and I’m really annoyed at that.

For me, the biggest eye roll moment came when she holds up the dagger and the shape just happens to fit perfectly against the silhouette of the Death Star wreckage. Now correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the dagger supposed to be some ancient relic? If so then how the fuck did it fit the outline of the 30 year old wreckage? :lol: 

Also how did she just happen to be in the exact right spot for that to work? Like in an alternate cut the Emperor wins because Rey was standing 6 feet to the right. :lol: 

And it is meant to be an ancient Sith relic, built centuries before the death star!!

Another thing is that Palpatine shagged somebody at some stage to produce a granddaughter. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And it is meant to be an ancient Sith relic, built centuries before the death star!!

My point EXACTLY!!!! 
Also, given that the Emperor was on this supposedly uncharted planet, how did he manage to get the hundreds of thousands of crew there to pilot his fleet of star destroyers without somebody blabbing the location? 

Edited by Dazey