STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

I suppose some people are so desperate to want to believe these crap Disney films are good that they'd be willing to argue anything. I know. I know. I have been there myself: I once talked myself into believing The Phantom Menace was ''okay''. You are all going to look back on these conversations and say to yourself, what an idiot I was. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

You can't criticise the new movies for something and then act like it's fine that it happened in the old ones. Nobody is arguing that they are better movies, more that you guys are very selective with what you want to criticise. 

1000% this. 

13 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

You can't criticise the new movies for something and then act like it's fine that it happened in the old ones. Nobody is arguing that they are better movies, more that you guys are very selective with what you want to criticise. 

Leia speaking rather woodenly in an English accent beating mass scriptural metamorphoses, villain switches, incomprehensible character changes and things which simply make no sense? 

25 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

25 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

What happened in the old movies? A miserable detail like an accent? An incest that was properly handled and that characters had no way of knowing it anyway? It being not planned as a Trilogy at first because of budget limits? 

You want to compare that with the weaponized light speed? Rey being able to be a better lightsaber duelist than a guy who trained all his life WITHOUT any sort of training or doing Jedi mind tricks also without training? They falling into some quicksand wormpit insearch of a mcguffin and then finding said thing and an abandoned, but still functional ship? Luke acting out of character (even his ACT0R was like "I don't agree with nothing in here")?  The whole throne room fight where they had to erase a weapon from one of the red guys's hand so he would not kill Rey? Palpatine surviving and screwing up the OT's achievements? Palpatine being able to amass two armies, a giant sith fleet with planet destroying technology and another death star without anyone noticing? Rey being the daughter of nobodies at 23:59 and then being Palpatine's long lost granddaughter at 00:00?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What happened in the old movies? A miserable detail like an accent? An incest that was properly handled and that characters had no way of knowing it anyway? It being not planned as a Trilogy at first because of budget limits? 

You want to compare that with the weaponized light speed? Rey being able to be a better lightsaber duelist than a guy who trained all his life WITHOUT any sort of training or doing Jedi mind tricks also without training? They falling into some quicksand wormpit insearch of a mcguffin and then finding said thing and an abandoned, but still functional ship? Luke acting out of character (even his ACT0R was like "I don't agree with nothing in here")?  The whole throne room fight where they had to erase a weapon from one of the red guys's hand so he would not kill Rey? Palpatine surviving and screwing up the OT's achievements? Palpatine being able to amass two armies, a giant sith fleet with planet destroying technology and another death star without anyone noticing? Rey being the daughter of nobodies at 23:59 and then being Palpatine's long lost granddaughter at 00:00?

Again out of likes. Seriously. This limited likes business is as annoying as the new Star wars movies.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Weaponised light speed is fine, it was a very cool moment, I forgot we're not allowed cool moments in Star Wars unless they follow the holy bible, though. Mark Hamil later said he was wrong about Luke being out of character after he watched the film, BTW. I agree about TROS being rushed and badly thought out, I think I said that already.  It's more fans in general not wanting to have fun with the series that bothers me, fans being obsessed with detail in these scifi fantasy films and criticising literally everything anyone ever does to try and bring new stuff in. You will never be happy that way. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Weaponised light speed is fine, it was a very cool moment, I forgot we're not allowed cool moments in Star Wars unless they follow the holy bible, though. Mark Hamil later said he was wrong about Luke being out of character after he watched the film, BTW. I agree about TROS being rushed and badly thought out, I think I said that already.  It's more fans in general not wanting to have fun with the series that bothers me, fans being obsessed with detail in these scifi fantasy films and criticising literally everything anyone ever does to try and bring new stuff in. You will never be happy that way. 

Pff... "fine" then why don't they just use it all the time. Just strap a huge engine to a chunk of metal and launch it then. Even if it was hard for Holdo, it was because she had no computer to calculate (which makes it even dumber for her not relaying this task to a droid with machine precision). If computers can calculate coordinates for lightspeed-travelling vessels not hit each other, then it can calculate how to hit them, and engineers would've surely researched that, since it is so effective and pretty much criples the utility of star destroyers. It's not about being cool, it's about being incoherent.

Edited by Chewbacca

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Pff... "fine" then why don't they just use it all the time. Just strap a huge engine to a chunk of metal and launch it then. Even if it was hard for Holdo, it was because she had no computer to calculate (which makes it even dumber for her not relaying this task to a droid with machine precision). If computers can calculate coordinates for lightspeed-travelling vessels not hit each other, then it can calculate how to hit them, and engineers would've surely researched that, since it is so effective and pretty much criples the utility of star destroyers. It's not about being cool, it's about being incoherent.

I think the point was that it was not something anyone would do and was a last resort. Your response is pretty much what I'm talking about and I don't really understand why you don't realise it. 

Edited by Jw224

45 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I think the point was that it was not something anyone would do and was a last resort. Your response is pretty much what I'm talking about and I don't really understand why you don't realise it. 

It was a last resort because it was a flagship they were sacrificing. Now just put an engine on a weaponised projectile and send it flying towards the enemy at lightspeed. Done.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Well. Clearly you don't want to loose your ship. That shit costs money. So I can buy that this is a last resort. It was either that or losing the the rebell fleet and thus the rebel alliance dying. And since it is a last resort, which usually is not done, everyone is caught be surprise (and they obviously haven't seen Star Trek: Nemesis ;)). Otherwise they probably could have just shot down that ship/be prepared for something like that happening. I don't really see that as a weak point. Of course, they could have used a droid to steer the ship, so Holdo wouldn't have to sacrifice herself, but where is the heroics in that?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

According to Forbes, the movie will pass $500 million in totals by end of day today. Not bad, considering it’s only been out for five days (six days if you count Thursday night preview screenings).

Yep... Like many things; in spite of the haters and fan boys claiming it's the end of days, many people are going to see the film and (most importantly) enjoying the hell out of it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Yep... Like many things; in spite of the haters and fan boys claiming it's the end of days, many people are going to see the film and (most importantly) enjoying the hell out of it. 

Many people seeing it, doesn't really mean that many people are really enjoing it. Even if people tell me it's the worst shit ever, I still would go to see for myself (hadn't I already seen it).

35 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Many people seeing it, doesn't really mean that many people are really enjoing it. Even if people tell me it's the worst shit ever, I still would go to see for myself (hadn't I already seen it).

I'm just going by the feedback I've heard from all my friends and family. No one I know has disliked it so far. 

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Attack of the Clones made  $649,398,328. The point of this is people who dislike the film are still paying to go and see it and consequentially registering a box office receipt, unless they filched it of course. 

Which is similar to NITL never ending tour...