STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah even tho Han only had one scene in TRoS, I felt that one scene alone was better than all of his scenes in TFA. Don’t get me wrong, all of Han’s scenes in TFA were still great as well! But one piece of criticism towards that movie which I kinda agree with is that Han’s character development seemed to regressed a little bit, since he went back to being a smuggler and all. In his one scene in TRoS, when giving his son the encouragement that he needed, Han seemed much more “grown.”

Except wasn't that really Leia speaking through Han?  Or do I have that screwed up.  Or was it Leia's use of the force that brought Han back?  Still not too sure.

I was surprised by Han's appearance, but the cynic in me immediately assumed it was because Carrie Fischer had died.

Personally I like the space-pirate dynamic of Han Solo which is why I loved seeing him do what he's known for in TFA.  Solo has always been the fun/charismatic/irreverent contrast to the mores serious and somber aspects around the force narratives.  Take him out of the films and they lose that adventurous and light dynamic that helps balance the film.  

12 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well, if it's a waste of time to you, 2bad. Don't read it. I said stuff I hadn't said before.

Except it's my forum and I can, and kind of have to, read it.  The point being no one needs to hear you say the same thing over and over again.  We got it.  You didn't like it.  If someone says they liked the film, feel free not to tell everyone again for the umpteenth time that you think they're wrong.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Except wasn't that really Leia speaking through Han?  Or do I have that screwed up.  Or was it Leia's use of the force that brought Han back?  Still not too sure.

I was surprised by Han's appearance, but the cynic in me immediately assumed it was because Carrie Fischer had died.

Personally I like the space-pirate dynamic of Han Solo which is why I loved seeing him do what he's known for in TFA.  Solo has always been the fun/charismatic/irreverent contrast to the mores serious and somber aspects around the force narratives.  Take him out of the films and they lose that adventurous and light dynamic that helps balance the film.  

Yeah it was Leia speaking through Han. Good point. Forgot about that!

9 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

When they go out of their way saying they did things because of familiarity and because it's been done before then it is obvious what their goal was. And yes, sometimes creators do explain why they did or didn't do something

It's funny how now all of sudden you have a problem with people going out of their way to say something...   Oh the irony...

Yes, they had a goal.  That doesn't mean other stories or goals weren't considered. 

I think others have already elaborated on the fact that the first few working scripts had Luke showing up much earlier with a different story, but that it didn't work because Luke would always take over.  Hence they wanted/needed a story in which the story could be established with some of the new characters where Luke's power didn't dwarf everything else.  

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

The person didn't say he liked it over and over again.  He simply stated it once.  

It's one thing to go back and forward about various aspects of the film, but from what I can tell, the fact that you need to respond to anyone who simply wants to state that they simply liked the film is waste of everyone's time.  

Why would they talk about the film they didn't make when providing audio commentary for the film they did make?  

Granted I don't listen to a lot of audio commentaries, but when I do, rarely do I ever find writers/directors defend why they didn't do something.  Instead they provide commentary for why they did something. 

Well, if it's a waste of time to you, 2bad. Don't read it. I said stuff I hadn't said before.

When they go out of their way saying they did things because of familiarity and because it's been done before then it is obvious what their goal was. And yes, sometimes creators do explain why they did or didn't do something.

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

I would say it was just Ren's Imagination. Or do you really want to believe now that the force allows Jedi to also bring other people's ghosts back from the dead, which really would be another reason of the suckage of this movie.

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

Except it's my forum and I can, and kind of have to, read it.  The point being no one needs to hear you say the same thing over and over again.  We got it.  You didn't like it.  If someone says they liked the film, feel free not to tell everyone again for the umpteenth time that you think they're wrong.  

Oh. It's your forum. So you're the Emperor now telling People what they can say??? Again. I did say different things.

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

It's funny how now all of sudden you have a problem with people going out of their way to say something...   Oh the irony... 

What problem?? I said their goal wasn't to be original, but to rehash. That is the problem. Not that they are saying that that was their goal. And really, you came at me for saying something. So you have the problem with people saying something (you don't like, for that matter).

Edited by PatrickS77

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Oh. It's your forum. So you're the Emperor now telling People what they can say??? Again. I did say different things.

People can say whatever they want.  Just not ad infitium to the point where it makes discussion miserable for everyone else.  

Just now, downzy said:

People can say whatever they want.  Just not ad infitium to the point where it makes discussion miserable for everyone else.  

Right, but if I would be saying ad infinitum how much I love/enjoy that movie, like others do, you wouldn't tell me to shut the fuck up.

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Right, but if I would be saying ad infinitum how much I love/enjoy that movie, like others do, you wouldn't tell me to shut the fuck up.

No.  We have rules when it comes to spamming discussions with the same point.  

If someone kept responding to anyone who disliked the film with the same "it's an amazing film, I loved it," I'd say the same thing.

At this point, as everything has been explained, let's leave it alone and keep posts related to the topic.  

7 hours ago, downzy said:

To some extend I agree, but to a point.  

It would have been better to see more of the original cast, but how do you make that film?  People like to point to the stories already laid out in the EU but most of those take place not long after ROTJ.  Since everyone would want the original cast to return rather than casting new actors to play Luke, Leia, and Han, there's no way to really tell those stories considering the age of the actors.  The film had to take place 40 years later to make it consistent with the actors ages. 

Vector Prime. Just sayin'.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Vector Prime. Just sayin'.

Not familiar with it so I had to read the summary on wikipedia.

To each their own, but I'm glad they didn't go with that.  People complain about Return of Skywalker being convoluted... Eeeeshhh...

Someone on another forum said “the only true story of Anakin’s grandchildren is the version that George Lucas would’ve done, which sadly we will never get to see.”

And when I read that, I immediately thought of this:

https://tenor.com/view/fat-bastard-boo-hoo-fatbastard-gif-10647085

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Someone on another forum said “the only true story of Anakin’s grandchildren is the version that George Lucas would’ve done, which sadly we will never get to see.”

You may make fun of it, but in a way that's true. Everything else is just fan fiction.

Edited by PatrickS77

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Agreed. On top of that, the "real fans" wouldn't have been pleased with Lucas' version either. We'd be reading all about how "Disney should've taken this out of Lucas' hands! He proved he was terrible with the prequels! Why or why didn't Disney just get someone new to do this?!" 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Lucas should definitely feel a bit vindicated given the furor over the prequels, considering Disney have produced three episodes that are at least as bad and arguably worse. Clearly it isn't easy making a Star Wars film!

Yeah. I'm sure he's chuckling a lot these days. :lol: ;)

Seeing it again with a clearer mind - this films biggest enemy is its editing. It is like being assaulted.

George Lucas used to famously use a piece of direction towards the actors ,"okay, next take, faster and more intense!"

I get the feeling JJ sat there in the editing bay and screamed the same thing at the guy cutting the show. "Faster! more intense!"

15 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Seeing it again with a clearer mind - this films biggest enemy is its editing. It is like being assaulted.

George Lucas used to famously use a piece of direction towards the actors ,"okay, next take, faster and more intense!"

I get the feeling JJ sat there in the editing bay and screamed the same thing at the guy cutting the show. "Faster! more intense!"

I actually liked the pace of the end, but I totally get how others disliked it. 

Side note, Babu Frik is in the running to be one of my favorite Star Wars characters ever. 

16 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

The editor actually had to be on-set, editing the movie as they were filming it, due to the crammed production schedule.

In other news; $815 million worldwide now!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

Alright, I saw the movie two weeks ago and had a little time to let it sink in. Here are my thoughts...

1. I enjoyed it and thought it was the strongest movie of the sequel trilogy. That said, I still prefer the prequels/original trilogy.

2. Having different directors really hurt the trilogy. Abrams made a safe movie with TFA. He used a safe format (Ep. IV) and the purpose of the movie was to introduce us to the characters and set up for the next movie. Now we're at TLJ. Rian Johnson decided to put his own touch and it didn't really pick up where Abrams left off. TLJ was just more setup. Then we get to TROS. Abrams is back in the directors seat but he didn't have the second movie to build on the first. So now we're at three movies with a weak story arc.

3. Although I really enjoyed it, the fan service was very heavy.

4. I know this is supposed to be the last movie and I know it's supposed to tie up loose ends, but I really think that Kylo should have been the one to kill Palpatine. It would have made sense if they spent the whole movie building up this redemption arc for him. 

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The editor actually had to be on-set, editing the movie as they were filming it, due to the crammed production schedule.

In other news; $815 million worldwide now!

It really moves like a kid who has no time to tie his shoes.

It feels like attention-deficit-disorder. So many things happened in this that I missed at least half of them when talking with people later. They mentioned things to me that sailed right over my head because I was trying to take in all the information.

Last Jedi was just sooo good at being deliberate and letting the emotional moments resonate. I still manage to tear up in that film because of how effectively Rian Johnson builds and executes the drama.

This film just gives you so little time to experience it on an emotional or intellectual level. It robs itself of its own best moments in attempt to do everything. Also, I’m quite convinced JJ puts the plot into warp speed because almost nothing makes sense in the film and to move any slower - would draw extreme attention to that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

It really moves like a kid who has no time to tie his shoes.

It feels like attention-deficit-disorder. So many things happened in this that I missed at least half of them when talking with people later. They mentioned things to me that sailed right over my head because I was trying to take in all the information.

Last Jedi was just sooo good at being deliberate and letting the emotional moments resonate. I still manage to tear up in that film because of how effectively Rian Johnson builds and executes the drama.

This film just gives you so little time to experience it on an emotional or intellectual level. It robs itself of its own best moments in attempt to do everything. Also, I’m quite convinced JJ puts the plot into warp speed because almost nothing makes sense in the film and to move any slower - would draw extreme attention to that.

While I like the movie, I definitely understand your criticisms! JJ’s editor was actually on a podcast today and mentioned how they never even finished editing the movie. They just had to stop at thanksgiving “just cause it was time to stop,” whereas Last Jedi was fully finished a full five months before the release date.

Edited by rocknroll41

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

While I like the movie, I definitely understand your criticisms! JJ’s editor was actually on a podcast today and mentioned how they never even finished editing the movie. They just had to stop at thanksgiving “just cause it was time to stop,” whereas Last Jedi was fully finished a full five months before the release date.

Rian should’ve spent that 5 months fixing it from being a shit film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1