STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

On 2019-01-21 at 3:21 PM, Dazey said:

I loved Solo purely because it stood alone outside of the other movies. Episode VIII was utter shite which really pissed me off as I really enjoyed TFA. 

If anything, Solo was kind of tainted by being a Star Wars film.  I think had no one ever heard of Star Wars people would have appreciated it a bit more than they did otherwise.  

It was a fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously while doing a good job with the space-spaghetti western thing.  

Not the greatest movie, just a fun film that doesn't do anything dumb like almost every other SW movie does (other than Empire Strikes Back). 

• Like 2

I really liked Solo too.

No one was ever going to replace Harrison as Han, but the guy they got did a pretty good job. And it is a really fun movie, with a lot of tidbits and references for Star Wars fans, which made me enjoy the film too.

And I’d like to see a follow up just so we can see where it will go after the big reveal at the end. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I really liked Solo too.

No one was ever going to replace Harrison as Han, but the guy they got did a pretty good job. And it is a really fun movie, with a lot of tidbits and references for Star Wars fans, which made me enjoy the film too.

And I’d like to see a follow up just so we can see where it will go after the big reveal at the end. 

Given the poor box office performance, I doubt we will ever see a follow-up, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...

The actor for C-3PO hinted today on twitter that a big Star Wars announcement is on the horizon.

Production seemingly wrapped today.

Disney has a public shareholder conference this afternoon.

The official Star Wars News channel on YouTube is releasing a new video tomorrow (their first video of 2019).

Hmmmm... I really hope this is all about the movie, and not that friggin amusement park they’re building or that streaming service or whatever.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:56 PM, downzy said:

If anything, Solo was kind of tainted by being a Star Wars film.  I think had no one ever heard of Star Wars people would have appreciated it a bit more than they did otherwise.  

It was a fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously while doing a good job with the space-spaghetti western thing.  

Not the greatest movie, just a fun film that doesn't do anything dumb like almost every other SW movie does (other than Empire Strikes Back). 

I don't know, I think making Lando's robot an object of serious romance was definitely dumb and a product of PC culture. It's not something that would have been part of the original films.

2 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I don't know, I think making Lando's robot an object of serious romance was definitely dumb and a product of PC culture. It's not something that would have been part of the original films.

It was a tad silly, but I always roll my eyes when people base their criticisms on "PC culture."  

Ughhh....

I'm not sure who is more hyper-sensitive at this point.  Those who demand a more politically correct world or those who break out in hives at the slightest hint at political correctness.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I think people just don't want to get the sense they're being spoon-fed something in a movie because of the way the tide is moving outside the movie theater.

It should feel organic to the story, otherwise it feels like there's some other motivation that has no place in a movie.

How about a little perspective...

It was a tongue-in-cheek attempt to include an element of current social commentary in a franchise that, up until the Disney takeover, was firmly stuck in 1970s gender politics.  

It was a tad silly and, in my opinion, worked in some areas and not in others, but nothing that ruined the movie or made me want to raise my man-card in defiance. 

17 minutes ago, downzy said:

It was a tad silly, but I always roll my eyes when people base their criticisms on "PC culture."  

Ughhh....

I'm not sure who is more hyper-sensitive at this point.  Those who demand a more politically correct world or those who break out in hives at the slightest hint at political correctness.  

They’re both equally hyper-sensitive. It’s called The Horseshoe Theory of Politics.

i remember when the initial cast of Solo was announced and people pointed out how Glover was the only person of color and were saying shit like “solo so white!” Then, just a few weeks later, thandie newton was added to the cast and the fan conversation immediately switched to “pc pandering!!”

we live in an entitled world now where people are just looking for any reason at all to be upset. First it was “Lucas raped my childhood!” And now it’s “Disney/Kathy/Rian raped my childhood and Lucas is a god who needs to come back!!”

Or how about “the prequels are too different” turning into “force awakens is too similar” turning back into “Last Jedi is too different”? Make no mistake, the reaction to this next film will be “it’s too similar” again.

There’s no winning with any of this shit.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

Im pretty sure that L3 was used as a vehicle to send up so called 'PC Culture.' When on the Falcon, Lando's leaving the cockpit and asks her if she "needs anything?" to which she responds "Equal rights" eliciting an eye roll from Lando.

Seems like people are very quick to project their views onto real or perceived archetypes (whether old or brand new). Which is a shame because then you end up missing out on what the character is actually about. In this case the nod to 'anti PC' movie goers.

Edited by soon

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

How about a little perspective...

It was a tongue-in-cheek attempt to include an element of current social commentary in a franchise that, up until the Disney takeover, was firmly stuck in 1970s gender politics.  

It was a tad silly and, in my opinion, worked in some areas and not in others, but nothing that ruined the movie or made me want to raise my man-card in defiance. 

Yeah, I can agree with that. It wasn't like I was outraged when I saw it in the movie, I just disagree with you that it was the first Star Wars film not to do something dumb.

54 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Yeah, I can agree with that. It wasn't like I was outraged when I saw it in the movie, I just disagree with you that it was the first Star Wars film not to do something dumb.

Fair enough.  Like Soon suggested, I always took it as a tongue-in-cheek moment and not something to be taken seriously; hence its inclusion didn't damage my enjoyment of the film the same way that many of Star Wars' previous blunders have.  

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Doubt we will get a trailer until Celebration. A title reveal could come any day, though

More cryptic tweets from people connected to Star Wars have been going around twitter today, so something is happening within the next day or so. Like you said, though, it’s most likely just a title reveal. Not a trailer. Still cool, though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

More cryptic tweets from people connected to Star Wars have been going around twitter today, so something is happening within the next day or so. Like you said, though, it’s most likely just a title reveal. Not a trailer. Still cool, though!

Im fine with that. I'm sure the marketing will be very calculated to get people excited about the saga again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Trailer will come out in 2 months. Were almost there

At this point they’ll probably just wait until then to give us the title, like Avengers did for Endgame. That seems to be the new marketing strategy for these giant blockbuster franchises.

on a side note, they mentioned on the shareholder call that Last Jedi made them a lot of money during the first half of 2018 through second-viewing box office, Blu-ray sales, and merch. Thought that was interesting, considering how divisive that film was.

1 hour ago, Fashionista said:

What do we know from the leaks? PM or spoiler tag it?

Not much. A few weeks ago someone who claimed to be in a marketing meeting mentioned they saw some things now confirmed in the costume and art leak.

Making Star Wars also has some information that aligns with the leak.