STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

36 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It is also now officially the worst reviewed SW movie going beyond even I. Not that I really care about what critics have to say...

The RT critic score is the lowest out of all the films, yeah. Same with the CinemaScore grade. However, the audience score on RT and the IMDb rating are still both fairly high.

• Like 1

Script pages from Duel of the Fates are leaking online now. The dialogue and pacing is terrible. I’m starting to see again why this version got scrapped (some cool stuff with Finn and R2, tho!). Also, this version of the movie takes place “nine or ten years” after Last Jedi, which is too big of a time jump, imo.

scroll down here for twitter links to the screenshots: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Episode-IX-was-to-be-directed-by-Colin-Trevorrow-DUEL-OF-THE-FATES-RIP/id/18137/page/6

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Script pages from Duel of the Fates are leaking online now. The dialogue and pacing is terrible. I’m starting to see again why this version got scrapped (some cool stuff with Finn and R2, tho!). Also, this version of the movie takes place “nine or ten years” after Last Jedi, which is too big of a time jump, imo.

scroll down here for twitter links to the screenshots: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Episode-IX-was-to-be-directed-by-Colin-Trevorrow-DUEL-OF-THE-FATES-RIP/id/18137/page/6

Can't be worse than what we got. The artwork looks great.

23 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Can't be worse than what we got. The artwork looks great.

Another batch of script pages just leaked, and admittedly they’re a bit better than the last batch:

Rose and Hux:
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224405854457417731?s=20

Lando and Leia:
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224407397571219456?s=20

3PO and R2:
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224408383278796800?s=20

Kylo and Palpatine (hologram recording):
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224409548812931073?s=20

The Palpatine hologram thing is a little weird tho imo.

Edited by rocknroll41

I finally read the whole Duel of the Fates draft. I hate it even more now. A bunch of ideas that are good in isolation, but don’t really fit together at all. Too many lore-breaking contradictions, no central theme, too much expository dialogue... I can go on, but you get the point.

Despite its shortcomings, I’m glad we got Rise of Skywalker instead.

i will say this, tho: Opening scenes were very good. Also, I listened to the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack as I was reading, and some moments fit perfectly with the music right as I was reading them... it was pretty freaky!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

I still think bringing back Palpatine was a terrible move that, arguably, ruined the series.

See, for me, bringing back Palpatine is what saved this new trilogy and made it feel more genuinely connected to rest of the saga, imo.

Not saying you’re wrong or I’m right. Just presenting my opinion as a juxtaposition to yours. Star Wars has evolved in a way where it means different things to different people, hence why it’s been so divisive since 1999 (or arguably since 1983, even).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

See, for me, bringing back Palpatine is what saved this new trilogy and made it feel more genuinely connected to rest of the saga, imo.

Not saying you’re wrong or I’m right. Just presenting my opinion as a juxtaposition to yours. Star Wars has evolved in a way where it means different things to different people, hence why it’s been so divisive since 1999 (or arguably since 1983, even).

Great point. Star Wars honestly has to be the most divisive fan base I've ever seen. 

Side note.... and bare with me, because this will make sense in a bit..... 

Pink Floyd recently issued a boxed set that included an old concert film of theirs (Delicate Sound of Thunder) and prior to release, we were told that the video was being re-edited, upscale and so on. 

They made zero mention that they were changing the audio at all. When it was released, there were MASSIVE changes to the audio, all throughout the album! 

That was the first Floyd album I ever bought, so it's got a special place in my heart and I know every millisecond of it. So I absolutely lost my shit when they just butchered audio all over the place, making unnecessary edits and changing the overall sound of the album I loved so much. 

I've been livid about it for at least a month now and I probably won't ever get over it. Every time the album comes up in the future, I'll probably go on and on about how much I hate the new version. 

Having been a very casual Star Wars fan my whole life, I've always wondered why people get so mad over everything to do with SW. Well... karma is a bitch, because this new version of Delicate Sound of Thunder has filled me with a complete understanding of the decades of hate people had for the SW Special Editions. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally just saw it. I loved it!!!!! So good!!!! I almost choked up once or twice.

Awesome force stuff! Awesome land battles! Awesome star battles!

Question: Does anyone know if theres a novel or comic about Ochies and Lukes search for the wayfinder?

Me rambling excitedly about all my thoughts :lol:...

Spoiler

First off, Rey still looks sexy in a fighter pilot helmet. Rose looks hot in star puffs. Keri Russel is still the sexiest ever while wearing a face covering mask. But even sexier when her visor is up to reveal her eyes. That was funny between her and Poe at the end when they celebrate the victory :lol:

When Rey was dying I had real chills. Landos arrival on screen! That Chewies dead troll :lol:. Rey was Leia's Padiwan Leia's sacrifice was poignant. Ben and Han... that was powerful. Hans "I know" was such a perfect call back.

I loved the lil prequel look in that festival early on in the film

And the alien babies :heart:

Not my favourite stuff:

3 movies in and I still have no investment in the Knights of Ren. No idea why they'd expect us to have any buy in. Its just weird to me.

Palps really had some great foresight. A bit of a stretch. But evil actually is that insidious or else it would no longer exist here either.

No way Rey would have left Kylo with his sabre. But it was obviously symbolic when he tossed it away.

Possible Influences:

I felt some Indian Jones earlier in film, if so thats a nice touch. Disney showing some humility to the OT vibes. I cant in this moment recall when I thought that, though. lol 

Rene Gerards The Scapegoat came to mind a few times. Will need to refresh myself on him to see if there actually is any touchstones.

Almost guaranteed to not be influences, but NIN's MR Self Destruct came to mind when Palpatine told Kylo that he's been 'every voice in your head.' Also the Oh My God lyric "Burried deep where nobody can find it and nobody wanted to know" came to mind

Questions:

Does anyone know if theres a novel or comic about Ochies and Lukes search for the wayfinder?

Is Fin 'force sensitive?' Or is the fact that Leia was revealed as a Master Jedi putting an end to the idea of 'Force sensitive.' Meaning Fin will train as a Jedi??

Nice they didnt kill off Lando. But they leave a real cliff hanger at the end with him and Janna. And I recall the rumours that she was Landos daughter. With Billy Dee's age it seems risky to leave that cliff hanger. I wonder where that will go?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Finally just saw it. I loved it!!!!! So good!!!! I almost choked up once or twice.

Awesome force stuff! Awesome land battles! Awesome star battles!

Question: Does anyone know if theres a novel or comic about Ochies and Lukes search for the wayfinder?

Me rambling excitedly about all my thoughts :lol:...

Hide contents

First off, Rey still looks sexy in a fighter pilot helmet. Rose looks hot in star puffs. Keri Russel is still the sexiest ever while wearing a face covering mask. But even sexier when her visor is up to reveal her eyes. That was funny between her and Poe at the end when they celebrate the victory :lol:

When Rey was dying I had real chills. Landos arrival on screen! That Chewies dead troll :lol:. Rey was Leia's Padiwan Leia's sacrifice was poignant. Ben and Han... that was powerful. Hans "I know" was such a perfect call back.

I loved the lil prequel look in that festival early on in the film

And the alien babies :heart:

Not my favourite stuff:

3 movies in and I still have no investment in the Knights of Ren. No idea why they'd expect us to have any buy in. Its just weird to me.

Palps really had some great foresight. A bit of a stretch. But evil actually is that insidious or else it would no longer exist here either.

No way Rey would have left Kylo with his sabre. But it was obviously symbolic when he tossed it away.

Possible Influences:

I felt some Indian Jones earlier in film, if so thats a nice touch. Disney showing some humility to the OT vibes. I cant in this moment recall when I thought that, though. lol 

Rene Gerards The Scapegoat came to mind a few times. Will need to refresh myself on him to see if there actually is any touchstones.

Almost guaranteed to not be influences, but NIN's MR Self Destruct came to mind when Palpatine told Kylo that he's been 'every voice in your head.' Also the Oh My God lyric "Burried deep where nobody can find it and nobody wanted to know" came to mind

Questions:

Does anyone know if theres a novel or comic about Ochies and Lukes search for the wayfinder?

Is Fin 'force sensitive?' Or is the fact that Leia was revealed as a Master Jedi putting an end to the idea of 'Force sensitive.' Meaning Fin will train as a Jedi??

Nice they didnt kill off Lando. But they leave a real cliff hanger at the end with him and Janna. And I recall the rumours that she was Landos daughter. With Billy Dee's age it seems risky to leave that cliff hanger. I wonder where that will go?

1.Nothing announced yet in regards to expansion stories related to Ochiee or Luke’s search for the wayfinder, but I’m sure we’ll get those stories eventually!

2.Yup, Finn is Force-sensitive. Confirmed by JJ in an interview.

3.Yup, Jannah is Lando’s daughter. The scene that revealed it in the movie was cut, but it’s still in the novelization.

• Thanks 1

After sleeping on it and watching a bit more this morning my sense is that its too fast and action packed for me. And thats what I loved initially, but if it could just be balanced out with some more downtime. Young Luke looking at the setting suns, Amedala and Anikin having a picnic and falling in love. Even Solo managed it with lots of panoramic landscape shots and interactions with Enfys crew. Mandolorain is really good at that balance. This movie ends that way, but more through out would have been better imo.

For my tastes so much action isnt something that calls me back for re-watching. But Im not a gifted film viewer and often need a few watches of something I like before it all sinks in. So maybe theres lots of down time and personal stuff that I dint notice as much while be bombarded with spectacle? Leia's death comes to mind, but thats its own thing all together. Not really the same down time that Im talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Im hoping to read the novelization soon. And I have some questions about Star Wars novels in general for all the Star Wars fans on here. Please help this Padawan?!

Okay so, I've enjoyed reading some movie tie in books - Shadows of the Empire, Cobalt Squadron (Last Jedi) and Resistance Reborn; the road to rise of skywalker. (Even though Resistance Reborn has no bearing on TROS what so ever, lol) 

Now I want to read all the OT timeline books. Im thinking of starting in 19 BBY with Kenobi and ending in 19 ABY with the second Thrawn Duology Vision of the Future. 

Id read all the novels, which are listed in blue on this chart. And Id watch the OT, Rogue One, Solo and The Mandalorian in proper sequence within the novels timeline.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_books

Is this a decent plan? Any novels to skip? Any Young Adult novels to include? Two of the books I mentioned arent on this list because they arent technically Legends. Are there other movie tie in books I should know about?

I really only want to read ones that have some sort of tangible connection to the OT and Disney of that portion of the timeline (even though I understand they wont always/ever inform the official stories).

Thanks for any help or feedback!

• Like 1

On April 1, 2020 at 3:38 PM, rocknroll41 said:

@soon sounds good! But you may also wanna take a look at the CANON timeline of Star Wars books as well:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books

The Legends timeline linked in your post isn’t canon, but a lot of those books are still cool.

Thanks so much! This is a huge save. Given that Ive already read a couple sequel novels and want to read TROS I figure I will first work my way through the Cannon novels of this era (and maybe some Orginal Junior Readers too, like the second Phasma novel). The sequels is whats happening now, so it just makes sense to me. Then I will do my OT plan, with the addition of these cannon books. Then just Cannon prequels too.

Really appreciated!

So many other novel questions, but I dont want to bombard you with them all at once, lol!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks so much! This is a huge save. Given that Ive already read a couple sequel novels and want to read TROS I figure I will first work my way through the Cannon novels of this era (and maybe some Orginal Junior Readers too, like the second Phasma novel). The sequels is whats happening now, so it just makes sense to me. Then I will do my OT plan, with the addition of these cannon books. Then just Cannon prequels too.

Really appreciated!

So many other novel questions, but I dont want to bombard you with them all at once, lol!

No worries lol. Feel free to ask away. I’ll try to answer (if I know the answers).

• GNFNR 1

18 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

No worries lol. Feel free to ask away. I’ll try to answer (if I know the answers).

Right on! I hope my questions arent too clueless though, lol!

One question I have is about Thrawn novels. There was a trilogy that Id heard so much love for that is not canon. Along with a duology that is also not cannon. But then I see that there is also a newer Thrawn trilogy that is Canon. Being new to all this, Im confused by that. Are the Canon ones re-tellings of the Legends, just made Canon? Or is it that he's a EU/Legends character whose been Canonized, but they started his character from scratch within Canon? And why canonize him now, when they are moving away from the Skywalker era?

Just anything about Thrawn and how that all works would be very helpful, please??

Also, are the canon Thrawn novels standing up to the legends trilogy? (seems to me that it was a fan favourite?)

Edited by soon

23 minutes ago, soon said:

Right on! I hope my questions arent too clueless though, lol!

One question I have is about Thrawn novels. There was a trilogy that Id heard so much love for that is not canon. Along with a duology that is also not cannon. But then I see that there is also a newer Thrawn trilogy that is Canon. Being new to all this, Im confused by that. Are the Canon ones re-tellings of the Legends, just made Canon? Or is it that he's a EU/Legends character whose been Canonized, but they started his character from scratch within Canon? And why canonize him now, when they are moving away from the Skywalker era?

Just anything about Thrawn and how that all works would be very helpful, please??

Also, are the canon Thrawn novels standing up to the legends trilogy? (seems to me that it was a fan favourite?)

Ah ok. Yeah this is a very common question. Here it goes:

The Thrawn trilogy from the Legends universe that came out in 1991-1993 was VERY popular because, not only was the character of Thrawn himself such a cool villain, but it was the first set of stories that ever showed what happened to Luke, Han, Leia, etc. after the original trilogy movies. The duology that followed wasn’t as popular, but still featured Luke and Han and Leia going up against Thrawn again, so that was kinda cool.

In 2014, when the Legends universe was decanonized, a lot of fans were sad that Thrawn didn’t “exist” as a character anymore, so he was brought back by popular demand. The big difference, tho, is that the new canon Thrawn books take place BEFORE the original trilogy, instead of after, so Luke, Han, Leia, etc. have nothing to do with the new canon Thrawn stories. The only classic characters that appear are Vader and Tarkin, as far as I know. Completely different stories. This version of Thrawn is more of a misunderstood antihero, rather than a stone-cold villain like he was in the Legends universe. Still interesting to read, but not quite as cool as the trilogy from Legends.

• Thanks 1

I saw a new watching order I’m gonna try out. 

The Force Awakens

(Optional) Solo

(Optional) Rogue One

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Last Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

The Rise of Skywalker

On 4/6/2020 at 1:26 AM, luciusfunk said:

I saw a new watching order I’m gonna try out. 

The Force Awakens

(Optional) Solo

(Optional) Rogue One

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Last Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

The Rise of Skywalker

Nice! I came up with a few orders of my own. Still haven’t decided which one to go with yet tho...

Old-School Machete Order:

(Solo-RO-)4-5-(1-2-)3-6-7-8-9

“Macheteception” Order:

7-(RO-)4-5-(1-2-)3-6-8-(Solo-)9

Reverse-Generational Order:

7-8-9-4-5-6-(Solo-RO-)1-2-3

Full-Circle Order:

4-5-(1-2-)3-6-7-8-Solo-9-RO

Flashback Order:

4-1-2-3-5-6-7-8-Solo-9-RO

Edited by rocknroll41

On 02/04/2020 at 10:13 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Ah ok. Yeah this is a very common question. Here it goes:

The Thrawn trilogy from the Legends universe that came out in 1991-1993 was VERY popular because, not only was the character of Thrawn himself such a cool villain, but it was the first set of stories that ever showed what happened to Luke, Han, Leia, etc. after the original trilogy movies. The duology that followed wasn’t as popular, but still featured Luke and Han and Leia going up against Thrawn again, so that was kinda cool.

In 2014, when the Legends universe was decanonized, a lot of fans were sad that Thrawn didn’t “exist” as a character anymore, so he was brought back by popular demand. The big difference, tho, is that the new canon Thrawn books take place BEFORE the original trilogy, instead of after, so Luke, Han, Leia, etc. have nothing to do with the new canon Thrawn stories. The only classic characters that appear are Vader and Tarkin, as far as I know. Completely different stories. This version of Thrawn is more of a misunderstood antihero, rather than a stone-cold villain like he was in the Legends universe. Still interesting to read, but not quite as cool as the trilogy from Legends.

The original Thrawn trilogy are the real Episodes VII, VIII and IX. 

• Like 1