ZoSoRose

STAR WARS: RISE OF SKYWALKER - SPOILERS!!!

On 1/17/2020 at 12:46 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Now that I’ve had even more time to digest the leaked details from Colin’s script, I gotta admit that I’m finding more and more things that I like, mainly with Finn’s arc. Some sorta combo between Colin’s version and JJ’s would’ve been the ideal. Ultimately tho, if I had to pick just one version, I still prefer the movie we got.

That being said, I recall thinking back in the day that the ideal endpoint for Episode 9 would be for Rey to create a new order that merges light and dark, cause I couldn’t think of any other way to make this new trilogy feel “important” with respect to the rest of the saga. However, having now actually seen the movie, I think that by bringing back Palpatine and implying through Anakin’s one line that the prophecy is a cyclical thing that’s destined to keep repeating, JJ found a more fitting way to give this trilogy a sense of “importance” when put alongside the other movies.

In a weird sorta way, I think Colin’s version is the more fitting end to this trilogy specifically, while JJ’s version is a more fitting end to the saga as a whole. And personally, I think the latter is the more important in the grand scheme of things.

I agree. Hated it at first, but after seeing the concept art and digesting it, there are some cool ideas. It was an early draft, too

The description and concept art paints a picture of a much darker and creative movie. Some middle ground between the two visions would have been neat. A delapolated Courescant, Kylo meeting Chewie, and Luke haunting Kylo sounded great

Disney clearly opted for a more fun, approachable chapter that celebrated nostalgia as opposed to an actual sequel to what Episode VIII set up. After the backlash of TLJ, im sure they didn't want to go for Colin's vision. I am surprised some if those ideas cane from the dude who came up with Jurassic World

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree. Hated it at first, but after seeing the concept art and digesting it, there are some cool ideas. It was an early draft, too

The description and concept art paints a picture of a much darker and creative movie. Some middle ground between the two visions would have been neat. A delapolated Courescant, Kylo meeting Chewie, and Luke haunting Kylo sounded great

Disney clearly opted for a more fun, approachable chapter that celebrated nostalgia as opposed to an actual sequel to what Episode VIII set up. After the backlash of TLJ, im sure they didn't want to go for Colin's vision. I am surprised some if those ideas cane from the dude who came up with Jurassic World

Colin was let go BEFORE The Last Jedi came out though, to be fair. I’m sure the TLJ backlash played SOME part in how TRoS eventually turned out, but I think Colin’s firing in particular runs a little deeper than that. I’m sure Carrie’s death played some role too, but again, I don’t think that tells the full story either. Perhaps her death (and Colin not knowing what to do as a result) was the starting point that lead to the shift from Colin to JJ, and then after the TLJ backlash, Disney told JJ “More fun! More fan service!” That’s just me theorizing, tho.

Edited by rocknroll41

Finally watched this! It wasn't as bad as I expected after reading some reviews and fan reactions.

But at the same time it wasn't great. Then again it would have been impossible to make this trilogy great cause TFA was such a terrible start.  

Anyway I enjoyed some parts of ROS. So that's something.

My ranking of all SW movies: 

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2.   A New Home

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Rogue One

6. The Last Jedi

7. Rise of Skywalker

8. Solo

9. Attack of the Clones

10. Phantom Menace 

11. The Force Awakens

New concept art for Colin’s canceled version of the movie leaked:

https://m.imgur.com/a/fbZFcbC

I can’t deny it; some of this discarded stuff is actually starting to warm up on me now. As I’ve said before, I think Colin’s version would’ve been a better ending to this trilogy in particular, whereas JJ’s version ended up being a better ending to the saga as a whole. The latter is more important to me, but the importance of the former cannot be denied either. If only we could’ve gotten more of a hybrid between the two. Oh well. Hopefully at least some of these ideas in the link above get repurposed into future projects.

That being said, a lot of this had to be changed due to Carrie’s death, since the story apparently revolved around her a lot, so it is what it is, I guess.

Edited by rocknroll41

On 2020-01-15 at 7:13 AM, Dazey said:

The movie apparently cost $275 million and a good rule of thumb generally is that you can usually double that when you take marketing costs into account. That would mean Disney spent about $550 million in total. If the movie finishes with $1.05 to $1.1 billion then that's a profit of $500-$550 million which isn't amazing but it's good by anybody else's standards.

A friend of mine does all the media buying in Canada for Disney films. 

He says that Disney actually spends significantly less on marketing Star Wars properties than its other films because they get other companies to do most of the heavy lifting for them through tie-ins and cross promotions.  Brands like Nissan, Burger King and others will plug the movie in their ads, greatly reducing Disney’s marketing expenditures. 

He wouldn’t tell me what the marketing budget was for Disney in Canada, but did say it was substantially less than what other big tent films spend. So I don’t think it was twice the movie budget. 

• Like 1

It is also now officially the worst reviewed SW movie going beyond even I. Not that I really care about what critics have to say...

36 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It is also now officially the worst reviewed SW movie going beyond even I. Not that I really care about what critics have to say...

The RT critic score is the lowest out of all the films, yeah. Same with the CinemaScore grade. However, the audience score on RT and the IMDb rating are still both fairly high.

• Like 1

Script pages from Duel of the Fates are leaking online now. The dialogue and pacing is terrible. I’m starting to see again why this version got scrapped (some cool stuff with Finn and R2, tho!). Also, this version of the movie takes place “nine or ten years” after Last Jedi, which is too big of a time jump, imo.

scroll down here for twitter links to the screenshots: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Episode-IX-was-to-be-directed-by-Colin-Trevorrow-DUEL-OF-THE-FATES-RIP/id/18137/page/6

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Script pages from Duel of the Fates are leaking online now. The dialogue and pacing is terrible. I’m starting to see again why this version got scrapped (some cool stuff with Finn and R2, tho!). Also, this version of the movie takes place “nine or ten years” after Last Jedi, which is too big of a time jump, imo.

scroll down here for twitter links to the screenshots: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Episode-IX-was-to-be-directed-by-Colin-Trevorrow-DUEL-OF-THE-FATES-RIP/id/18137/page/6

Can't be worse than what we got. The artwork looks great.

23 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Can't be worse than what we got. The artwork looks great.

Another batch of script pages just leaked, and admittedly they’re a bit better than the last batch:

Rose and Hux:
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224405854457417731?s=20

Lando and Leia:
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224407397571219456?s=20

3PO and R2:
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224408383278796800?s=20

Kylo and Palpatine (hologram recording):
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224409548812931073?s=20

The Palpatine hologram thing is a little weird tho imo.

Edited by rocknroll41

I finally read the whole Duel of the Fates draft. I hate it even more now. A bunch of ideas that are good in isolation, but don’t really fit together at all. Too many lore-breaking contradictions, no central theme, too much expository dialogue... I can go on, but you get the point.

Despite its shortcomings, I’m glad we got Rise of Skywalker instead.

i will say this, tho: Opening scenes were very good. Also, I listened to the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack as I was reading, and some moments fit perfectly with the music right as I was reading them... it was pretty freaky!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

I still think bringing back Palpatine was a terrible move that, arguably, ruined the series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

I still think bringing back Palpatine was a terrible move that, arguably, ruined the series.

See, for me, bringing back Palpatine is what saved this new trilogy and made it feel more genuinely connected to rest of the saga, imo.

Not saying you’re wrong or I’m right. Just presenting my opinion as a juxtaposition to yours. Star Wars has evolved in a way where it means different things to different people, hence why it’s been so divisive since 1999 (or arguably since 1983, even).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

It sure did. Just shows how poorly planned and made the whole thing was. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

See, for me, bringing back Palpatine is what saved this new trilogy and made it feel more genuinely connected to rest of the saga, imo.

Not saying you’re wrong or I’m right. Just presenting my opinion as a juxtaposition to yours. Star Wars has evolved in a way where it means different things to different people, hence why it’s been so divisive since 1999 (or arguably since 1983, even).

Great point. Star Wars honestly has to be the most divisive fan base I've ever seen. 

Side note.... and bare with me, because this will make sense in a bit..... 

Pink Floyd recently issued a boxed set that included an old concert film of theirs (Delicate Sound of Thunder) and prior to release, we were told that the video was being re-edited, upscale and so on. 

They made zero mention that they were changing the audio at all. When it was released, there were MASSIVE changes to the audio, all throughout the album! 

That was the first Floyd album I ever bought, so it's got a special place in my heart and I know every millisecond of it. So I absolutely lost my shit when they just butchered audio all over the place, making unnecessary edits and changing the overall sound of the album I loved so much. 

I've been livid about it for at least a month now and I probably won't ever get over it. Every time the album comes up in the future, I'll probably go on and on about how much I hate the new version. 

Having been a very casual Star Wars fan my whole life, I've always wondered why people get so mad over everything to do with SW. Well... karma is a bitch, because this new version of Delicate Sound of Thunder has filled me with a complete understanding of the decades of hate people had for the SW Special Editions. 

• Like 1