STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

On 5/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, rocknroll41 said:

According to a longtime credible source for starwars spoilers:

Hide contents

Snoke was Palpatine the whole time. [\spoiler]

Better than what they've revealed about him so far. Definitely plausible.

• Like 1

New trilogy confirmed for Decembers 2022, 2024, and 2026. Looks like they’re combining the Rian Johnson trilogy and the trilogy from the Game of Thrones showrunners into just one trilogy now, since it’s been confirmed recently that they’re all working together on Star Wars now, and no other movies have been announced aside from these ones.

Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 rescheduled to Decembers 2021, 2023, 2025, and 2027, so that none of those sequels clash with Star Wars.

So after Rise of Skywalker there will be a three-year break from Star Wars movies and then after that only one Star Wars movie every two years (every other December). No more spinoffs.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

Here is a better suggestion. Why not just end it? The prequels were a disaster. These sequels have been even worse. They, Lucas, Kennedy, Abrams and Johnson, have all failed in different ways to produce a Star Wars film which remotely lives up to the original trilogy. Just end it now before destroying it further (if that is conceivable?)

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is a better suggestion. Why not just end it? The prequels were a disaster. These sequels have been even worse. They, Lucas, Kennedy, Abrams and Johnson, have all failed in different ways to produce a Star Wars film which remotely lives up to the original trilogy. Just end it now before destroying it further (if that is conceivable?)

A company doesn’t buy a movie franchise for $4 billion to end it after only producing films for four years. It’ll go on forever in some way or another just like superhero franchises do because that’s just the world we live in now and, frankly, it’s nobody’s fault. New films will be aimed at new kids and more international audiences. It’s as simple as that, really.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

A company doesn’t buy a movie franchise for $4 billion to end it after only producing films for four years. It’ll go on forever in some way or another just like superhero franchises do because that’s just the world we live in now and, frankly, it’s nobody’s fault. New films will be aimed at new kids and more international audiences. It’s as simple as that, really.

They've even started losing money, these absurd films - case in point Solo

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

They've even started losing money, these absurd films - case in point Solo

Yeah, that I’ll give you. If the future mainline “saga” films lose money like Solo did then I’d say there’s a good chance the franchise could die, like the Trek films did.

i feel like making a movie about Jedi that appeals to the international masses shouldn’t be that hard, though. Especially since they’ll no longer be constrained to the Skywalker history after this year’s film.

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah, that I’ll give you. If the future mainline “saga” films lose money like Solo did then I’d say there’s a good chance the franchise could die, like the Trek films did.

i feel like making a movie about Jedi that appeals to the international masses shouldn’t be that hard, though. Especially since they’ll no longer be constrained to the Skywalker history after this year’s film.

Solo didn’t lose money. It made money. Just not the billions usual Star Wars films make. 

• GNFNR 1

18 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

New trilogy confirmed for Decembers 2022, 2024, and 2026. Looks like they’re combining the Rian Johnson trilogy and the trilogy from the Game of Thrones showrunners into just one trilogy now, since it’s been confirmed recently that they’re all working together on Star Wars now, and no other movies have been announced aside from these ones.

Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 rescheduled to Decembers 2021, 2023, 2025, and 2027, so that none of those sequels clash with Star Wars.

So after Rise of Skywalker there will be a three-year break from Star Wars movies and then after that only one Star Wars movie every two years (every other December). No more spinoffs.

Im excited we get a new trilogy relatively soon, but Im really baffled by the idea of Johnson and GOT all working together. Gives me night sweats thinking about if they give Johnson the middle slot again :nervous:. Hopefully its to save face and not fire Johnson completely and will be the vision of the GOT guys.

Rogue One is an incredible film imho. And I loved Solo. And Kenobi was gonna be epic. If they wait too long on that McGregor will be as old as Guinness and thats not as fun. I wanted Ahsoka so bad. 

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Mandalorian is shaping up to be perfect OT fair. Its got all the characters - in animatronics - from Jabbas palace and barges. And I just learned that Lucas himself has been collaborating with Favreau. Its just 5years after ROTJ. So lots of familiar people, ships and places. Theres Jawa's!! 

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It needed to reach $500 million to break even but only took $392.9 million worldwide.

Studios make a fortune from licensing films after they’re done in theatres. There are some estimates that only 20 percent of a film’s total revenue stream comes from the box office. When factoring television and streaming rights, along with DVD and digital download sales, Solo definitely made Disney money. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soon said:

Im excited we get a new trilogy relatively soon, but Im really baffled by the idea of Johnson and GOT all working together. Gives me night sweats thinking about if they give Johnson the middle slot again :nervous:. Hopefully its to save face and not fire Johnson completely and will be the vision of the GOT guys.

Rogue One is an incredible film imho. And I loved Solo. And Kenobi was gonna be epic. If they wait too long on that McGregor will be as old as Guinness and thats not as fun. I wanted Ahsoka so bad. 

The Mandalorian is shaping up to be perfect OT fair. Its got all the characters - in animatronics - from Jabbas palace and barges. And I just learned that Lucas himself has been collaborating with Favreau. Its just 5years after ROTJ. So lots of familiar people, ships and places. Theres Jawa's!! 

According to highly credible sources, Kenobi will now be a live-action mini-series on the Disney Plus streaming service, instead of a movie. Rumor is six episodes, each 45 minutes long (similar to The Mandalorian). Apparently Stephen Daldry, who was writing the script for the movie version before it got scrapped, is still involved, and a lot of elements from his canned movie script are being stretched out to fit the format of a mini-series.

• GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

According to highly credible sources, Kenobi will now be a live-action mini-series on the Disney Plus streaming service, instead of a movie. Rumor is six episodes, each 45 minutes long (similar to The Mandalorian). Apparently Stephen Daldry, who was writing the script for the movie version before it got scrapped, is still involved, and a lot of elements from his canned movie script are being stretched out to fit the format of a mini-series.

Awesome! You've always got the info! Kenobi would make a great series. Cant wait for Disney Plus :headbang:This November and December are gonna be epic!!

Is there any word on whether they will post full series or weekly episodes? I cant decide which Id prefer more! :lol:

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Awesome! You've always got the info! Kenobi would make a great series. Cant wait for Disney Plus :headbang:This November and December are gonna be epic!!

Is there any word on whether they will post full series or weekly episodes? I cant decide which Id prefer more! :lol:

No problem, anytime!

weekly episodes for the shows that are confirmed so far (Mandalorian, Clone Wars, and Cassian Andor). I’m assuming the rumored shows (Kenobi and Solo) will also be released as weekly episodes if/when they get confirmed.

for now, this is all we know:

Mandalorian season 1 - Fall 2019

Clone Wars - Spring 2020

Mandaloriam season 2 - Fall 2020

Cassian Andor - Spring 2021

so my guess is Kenobi and/or Solo will only happen in Fall 2021, and that’s assuming the rumors turn out to be true, and both shows still happen.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Obi-Wan Kenobi show with Ewan McGregor confirmed:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-talks-an-obi-wan-kenobi-series-disney-1201364

Game of Thrones showrunners to now write only one new Star Wars movie instead of three like originally planned:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syfy.com/syfywire/benioff-weiss-scaling-back-star-wars-netflix-deal%3famp

Behind-the-scenes footage of Rise of Skywalker will be shown at Disney’s D23 convention next weekend (with livestream likely):

https://nerdreactor.com/2019/08/08/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-black-widow-eternals-d23-expo/

• GNFNR 1

On 07/05/2019 at 8:32 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I really don't think that the sequel trilogy has been worse than the prequels, those were just bad films at the base level. Bad acting, bad directing, bad writing, I'd say the only thing that they did well were the special effects. 

16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi show with Ewan McGregor confirmed:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-talks-an-obi-wan-kenobi-series-disney-1201364

Game of Thrones showrunners to now write only one new Star Wars movie instead of three like originally planned:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syfy.com/syfywire/benioff-weiss-scaling-back-star-wars-netflix-deal%3famp

Behind-the-scenes footage of Rise of Skywalker will be shown at Disney’s D23 convention next weekend (with livestream likely):

https://nerdreactor.com/2019/08/08/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-black-widow-eternals-d23-expo/

Thats great about Kenobi! You predicted it would morph into a tv show a while back iirc!

This GOT guys business is a little wonky.

"The Hollywood Reporter just released a new piece analyzing Benioff and Weiss' Netflix deal and the soundness of the streamer's investment in the showrunners, who were relatively unknown before Game of Thrones exploded into the most popular show in the world, and tucked inside the report is a little bit of information on their Star Wars trajectory. According to THR's report, Benioff and Weiss are now "writing a treatment" for a trilogy of Star Wars films, with a commitment to script "at least one of the films" themselves. That's interesting, because the original plan was that Benioff and Weiss would take screenplay duties on all three of their Star Wars films, and THR also notes that it's currently "unclear" whether they'll take on anything but writing duties."

It better not be Johnson directing!!! And the lack of cohesion between the 7 & 8 is down to different chefs in the kitchen. Well, at least they will write a treatment for the entire trilogy. But from what I've heard Abrams had written a treatment for the sequels too? Would prefer the same people emerge themselves in the trilogy and see it all the way through.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, soon said:

Thats great about Kenobi! You predicted it would morph into a tv show a while back iirc!

This GOT guys business is a little wonky.

"The Hollywood Reporter just released a new piece analyzing Benioff and Weiss' Netflix deal and the soundness of the streamer's investment in the showrunners, who were relatively unknown before Game of Thrones exploded into the most popular show in the world, and tucked inside the report is a little bit of information on their Star Wars trajectory. According to THR's report, Benioff and Weiss are now "writing a treatment" for a trilogy of Star Wars films, with a commitment to script "at least one of the films" themselves. That's interesting, because the original plan was that Benioff and Weiss would take screenplay duties on all three of their Star Wars films, and THR also notes that it's currently "unclear" whether they'll take on anything but writing duties."

It better not be Johnson directing!!! And the lack of cohesion between the 7 & 8 is down to different chefs in the kitchen. Well, at least they will write a treatment for the entire trilogy. But from what I've heard Abrams had written a treatment for the sequels too? Would prefer the same people emerge themselves in the trilogy and see it all the way through.

Did I seriously predict that? Guess I’m a psychic then! XD

The Johnson trilogy is apparently a separate project that he will apparently write and direct entirely on his own (assuming it even still happens, at this point).

Lucas wrote a treatment for the sequel trilogy which Disney and Lucasfilm MOSTLY threw out (some elements survived, but not much). Then, after finishing TFA, Abrams wrote potential outlines for 8 and 9, but Rian apparently chose not to use anything at all from those outlines (according to Daisy Ridley).

i agree that more cohesion is needed. Star Wars needs someone like Kevin Feige (the guy who runs the MCU) to tie everything together. The closest thing they have to that right now is Kathy Kennedy, but she’s not really a creative. She doesn’t really contribute to any of the writing or directing, as far as I know.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I really don't think that the sequel trilogy has been worse than the prequels, those were just bad films at the base level. Bad acting, bad directing, bad writing, I'd say the only thing that they did well were the special effects. 

I think that the special effects were awful too. If you put the original trilogy next to the prequels episodes IV to VI have aged far better. All the CGI in the prequels looks like shit these days. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

I think that the special effects were awful too. If you put the original trilogy next to the prequels episodes IV to VI have aged far better. All the CGI in the prequels looks like shit these days. 

I think for the time they did stuff that had never been done before, episode 3 especially still looks really good. I agree that the other two haven't aged all that well when you look at them now, though.