New Duff interview in Classic Rock (vague about new music - addresses the Izzy issue)

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

"I just don't think he wanted to do it. We tried to make it work, but it just didn't" 

Lolduff.... I'm sure Izzy would've done it if you guys were willing to pay him what he's worth. 

Didn’t he want equal loot? 
They’ve toured successfully and made millions without him so i imagine they feel he wasn’t worth it. 

I don’t think Slash and Duff are getting equal loot to Axl either. But it’s still enough to laugh into retirement. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Didn’t he want equal loot? 
They’ve toured successfully and made millions without him so i imagine they feel he wasn’t worth it. 

I don’t think Slash and Duff are getting equal loot to Axl either. But it’s still enough to laugh into retirement. 

I get that the tour was/is wildly successful without him. And truth be told, I personally don't care all that much of he's there or not. I was the one saying for years that all Axl needed was to get Slash back and the general public would be 100% on board. In my opinion, Duff doesn't even matter that much to the tour. However, I just think it's funny that Duff is trying to place blame on Izzy and is acting like it's a mystery why it didn't work out. We know exactly why it "didn't work out" lol

• Like 3

Even if some casuals didnt know about Izzy by 2016, by bringing him back they could renew the legacy and story of the classic lineup. I trust this would have caused a lot more media interest and box set interest too (if reasonably priced). Basically they could have restored the mythology and that would matter to the bottom line and brand mystique.

And who knows, just like this last year or two Celine Dion has had a major resurgence in popularity among young people, maybe Izzy would become a mainstream meme too?! :lol: Or like Tiny Drake being eaten by Guy Fieri :lol: Someone please make a Greta and Izzy meme!?!?

But to be serious again, the idea that Izzys value can be calculated by what they have managed to do without him is, imho, like saying that a steakhouse hamburger and a fast food hamburger are equal because they are both hamburgers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rebeldhipi said:

Here Duff refers that Axl was the one that asked Duff and Slash to play some songs from Chinese.

Yeah this was probably the most interesting part for me to read actually. The narrative, since the start of the NITL tour, has been that Slash and Duff voluntarily learned the Chinese stuff and surprised Axl with it, but this completely contradicts that.

2 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I’m sure money was a big issue for Izzy. But I just don’t see him touring full time going into year 5 anyways. 

But we don’t know the full story either. Original negotiations may have been for Coachella gig only. 

Some people think they know the whole story and are quick to blame the ones they don't like anyway

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

RE: The CD songs

China Exchange interview (June 2016):

Axl: "I didn’t have to tell Slash anything about embracing the - working on the Chinese Democracy songs or how to play them. He just embraced them and worked really hard - I had no idea how they were going to sound."

Globo interview (Sept. 2016):

Duff: "I really got to discover, in the best of ways, the album 'Chinese Democracy' that [Axl] made [without the other members of the classic GN'R lineup], and it was these songs he had worked on. And I had listened to the record, but when you start to play the songs as a player, you really discover all the layers in the songs. But really kind of how you hear it and how I'm hearing the songs are maybe a little bit different. And when we went into rehearsals, we wanted to really own… like this is gonna be what we're doing."

Axl: "I didn't have anything, really, to do with that. They stepped to songs on 'Chinese'. They asked, 'Which ones are you interested in us doing?' and stuff, and they stepped to that on their own. They started working with Frank [Ferrer, drums], 'cause they had their own way of working with the drummer, and working with the rhythms, and kind of picked up the tempo on some of the old songs a bit, and things like that, and got their communication working. So they spent a good while with that on their own."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

RE: The CD songs

China Exchange interview (June 2016):

Axl: "I didn’t have to tell Slash anything about embracing the - working on the Chinese Democracy songs or how to play them. He just embraced them and worked really hard - I had no idea how they were going to sound."

Globo interview (Sept. 2016):

Duff: "I really got to discover, in the best of ways, the album 'Chinese Democracy' that [Axl] made [without the other members of the classic GN'R lineup], and it was these songs he had worked on. And I had listened to the record, but when you start to play the songs as a player, you really discover all the layers in the songs. But really kind of how you hear it and how I'm hearing the songs are maybe a little bit different. And when we went into rehearsals, we wanted to really own… like this is gonna be what we're doing."

Axl: "I didn't have anything, really, to do with that. They stepped to songs on 'Chinese'. They asked, 'Which ones are you interested in us doing?' and stuff, and they stepped to that on their own. They started working with Frank [Ferrer, drums], 'cause they had their own way of working with the drummer, and working with the rhythms, and kind of picked up the tempo on some of the old songs a bit, and things like that, and got their communication working. So they spent a good while with that on their own."

Thanks for clarifying that one - wasn’t sure where these comments were made so this clears it up. Looks like Slash and Duff instigated the playing of the CD songs, but used Axl’s guidance as to which songs they should play.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I get that the tour was/is wildly successful without him. And truth be told, I personally don't care all that much of he's there or not. I was the one saying for years that all Axl needed was to get Slash back and the general public would be 100% on board. In my opinion, Duff doesn't even matter that much to the tour. However, I just think it's funny that Duff is trying to place blame on Izzy and is acting like it's a mystery why it didn't work out. We know exactly why it "didn't work out" lol

He also said "you need to be all in" and izzy wasn't all on with the idea of the shows. I think we can put the story together through everyone's accounts. He didn't want to do the full tour, they wanted him to commit he wasn't up for 2yrs plus. He wanted more money for guest appearances and they felt that more money is dependant on being there on a more fulltime basis, discussions broke down and they did their thing and he did his.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

This is a very salient point.

Izzy might have wanted his "fair share" for the initial few shows.  And perhaps Axl, Duff, and Slash might have been open to the that possibility (just a guess on my part).  

But then the concern for Axl, Slash, and Duff was whether Izzy would be up for the amount of touring that they might have had in mind should those shows go well.  

If the assumption was that Izzy wasn't going to be on board for a multi-year, global tour, then the calculation might have been that they weren't going to cut him for a few big money shows if they were going to have to replace him with Fortus not too long afterward.  

Plus there's the optics of it all.  If Izzy had played with them at the Troubadour, the first couple of Vegas shows, Coachella, it would have given the fans the impression that the big four members were back on a permanent basis.  

It would have created a marketing issue should they proceed with a tour that Izzy wasn't willing to fully commit to.  

Forgetting the concerns about money, even from a logistical perspective I can see why Izzy wasn't part of the greater picture.  Again, that's all working on the assumption that Izzy wasn't interested in being apart of a multi-year, multi-continent tour.  Considering Izzy would pop up here and there with GNR and Slash and Duff, it's understandable why the key players decided on the path they ultimately took.  

I think that's a good and objective analysis