Jump to content
Blackstar

New Duff interview in Classic Rock (vague about new music - addresses the Izzy issue)

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

you do realize 'hated, lasted, 30 years...', you talk in past tense, right?  everything here everyone is talking about is pure speculation.  Fact Iz, when asked, Iz did not say I am not there because it is too big, I don't like them,  I don't like touring - he said they didn't want to split the loot equaly and there we stand now.

Which is fine. Everyone has an opinion. It's music. But Duff had a hand in songwriting for some of GNR's biggest hits, including "It's So Easy," and "Civil War" and "Paradise City." Objectively, you can't say Adler is on par with someone who wrote hit songs for GNR. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

actually now.. Duff downplayed it quiet a lot.  There was a march with a 100k+ nazis recently.  You realize how big Poland is?

https://www.euronews.com/2019/11/11/polish-far-right-groups-march-in-warsaw-on-independence-anniversary

Oh, for sure. I agree with you. I was trying to make a sarcastic joke :). The poster I was responding to seems to be suggesting that the Polish people at the rally shouldnt be called "Nazis." So I thought it was funny to assert that the people at the rally were in fact Nazis, but maybe not all Polish. :lol: Just to intentionally miss the point.... I'm not very humorous :shrugs::lol:

But to your point, yeah its so sad. Isn't it tragic that antisemitism and far-right ideology would thrive in Poland of all places? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Hahaha, you have zero credibility with that statement. I liked Adler's drumming too. And he for sure contributed to the sound of early GNR. But better than Duff, who actually contributed to the songwriting? Um ... fuck no. Sorry. Duff has also proven beyond GNR that he can put together good records. His stuff with Loaded, Velvet Revolver and his recent solo is better than anything Adler has done since he got the boot.

ok point taken 

they were a massive duo though duff steven equal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, for sure. I agree with you. I was trying to make a sarcastic joke :). The poster I was responding to seems to be suggesting that the Polish people at the rally shouldnt be called "Nazis." So I thought it was funny to assert that the people at the rally were in fact Nazis, but maybe not all Polish. :lol: Just to intentionally miss the point.... I'm not very humorous :shrugs::lol:

But to your point, yeah its so sad. Isn't it tragic that antisemitism and far-right ideology would thrive in Poland of all places? 

 

sorry 'bout that.  didn't see the other poster. cheers!

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2019 at 2:03 PM, downzy said:

But then the concern for Axl, Slash, and Duff was whether Izzy would be up for the amount of touring that they might have had in mind should those shows go well.

 They tour a lot, that's true. But they also have long breaks. Slash was capable to go on tour with Conspirators. I guess Izzy would've had enough free time to do something else like taking care of his advocado farm or whatever. My theory is that they just wanted Izzy as guest in a show here and there. That was the case with Adler.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

ok point taken 

they were a massive duo though duff steven equal 

Thanks for being mature about this in your response. I was triggered and re-reading my comment, it came off as aggressive. There was definitely a more constructive way to phrase my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/12/2019 at 6:26 PM, RussTCB said:

Maybe this is some sort of syndrome where I forgive these guys because they're rock stars, but I truly don't think of Duff, Slash or especially Axl as "liars". 

I really think they believe what they're saying when they say it. Whether they've just convinced themselves it's the true or not, I don't know. But I think with Axl, he really does believe things when he says them. 

I think Duff is probably the same way. He probably believes things with izzy "just didn't work out". It could be that simple in his mind. Who knows. 

Duff didn't want to give izzy his 25%. Simple as that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lantern said:

Duff didn't want to give izzy his 25%. Simple as that.

exactly thats why he's trying to do the PR work now 

 

its axl and duff vs izzy and slash the real onus now is on slash to make it happen

 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lantern said:

Duff didn't want to give izzy his 25%. Simple as that.

It's not solely on Duff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything's a two-way street, and i don't think the Izzy situation is any different. Izzy is probably correct that the rest of the band didn't want to split the loot equally, but we have to consider why that is. How was Izzy's performance at the rehearsals he attended? Was he willing to play Chinese Democracy material? Could he actually play some of the AFD and UYI material he hadn't touched in two decades? Was he willing to relearn the material and tour it for an indeterminate period of time?

All of these things likely contributed to the band's consideration of Izzy's involvement. If he couldn't do these things, would it really be worth firing Fortus (who was more than capable in the role) and spending more money on Izzy? I love Izzy, but from a business perspective, he wasn't needed and Fortus was better-positioned and cheaper on a full-time basis.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is, Izzy was really important for the band at their beginnings but money-wise he isn´t a big factor. So the rest of the band leveraged that. Izzy didn´t like the proposed deal so he bailed out. Then the band proceeded to sell out stadiums on a really successful tour. Izzy thought he was worth more. Shit happens.

Maybe Izzy deserved more than what he was offered. Or maybe not based on his unreliability to be on such a long tour, we could debate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manfisman said:

Thing is, Izzy was really important for the band at their beginnings but money-wise he isn´t a big factor. So the rest of the band leveraged that. Izzy didn´t like the proposed deal so he bailed out. Then the band proceeded to sell out stadiums on a really successful tour. Izzy thought he was worth more. Shit happens.

Maybe Izzy deserved more than what he was offered. Or maybe not based on his unreliability to be on such a long tour, we could debate that.

u sums it up

but u got axl involved and his hold loser entourage 

 

lets say for the fun of it 

axl reunited with 91 crew

they did locomotive as it should be they would be free

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Everything's a two-way street, and i don't think the Izzy situation is any different. Izzy is probably correct that the rest of the band didn't want to split the loot equally, but we have to consider why that is. How was Izzy's performance at the rehearsals he attended? Was he willing to play Chinese Democracy material? Could he actually play some of the AFD and UYI material he hadn't touched in two decades? Was he willing to relearn the material and tour it for an indeterminate period of time?

All of these things likely contributed to the band's consideration of Izzy's involvement. If he couldn't do these things, would it really be worth firing Fortus (who was more than capable in the role) and spending more money on Izzy? I love Izzy, but from a business perspective, he wasn't needed and Fortus was better-positioned and cheaper on a full-time basis.

Exactly + when has Izzy done proper tour? 1993 with juju hounds? How the hell can he suddenly do a three year tour? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Izzy only got approached about the initial dates (coachella and las vegas), i dont think they got any further but im just speculating im trying to remember those twits as he deleted them later. Maybe he didnt like the "loot" they offered him for this intial dates and when they signed for the big tours they just didnt bother getting back to him with a bigger offer? who knows really. Wish he show up at some point even a guest spot would be cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should have given Izzy a nice, OG AFD, percentage. But they should have drawn Fortus' salary entirely from Izzy's cut. That way if Izzy flaked out, theyd jut be back to the current situation. They just wouldnt have had to pay Fortus out of their cuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2019 at 3:13 AM, jacdaniel said:

Don’t see Izzy agreeing on touring going into a 5th year now. 

Agree.

Also can't see an album in the near future if they're all happy in continuing to regurgitate the same tour over and over. Appreciate its a good money spinner, but for artists - surely they want to be creating and playing, not just rinse and repeating the same stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

Exactly + when has Izzy done proper tour? 1993 with juju hounds? How the hell can he suddenly do a three year tour? :D

 BINGO ! Since 2012 Izzy has done nothing with touring, recording music, or showing up as even quest.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, for sure. I agree with you. I was trying to make a sarcastic joke :). The poster I was responding to seems to be suggesting that the Polish people at the rally shouldnt be called "Nazis." So I thought it was funny to assert that the people at the rally were in fact Nazis, but maybe not all Polish. :lol: Just to intentionally miss the point.... I'm not very humorous :shrugs::lol:

But to your point, yeah its so sad. Isn't it tragic that antisemitism and far-right ideology would thrive in Poland of all places? 

 

this article hasn't got anything to do with truth. I've never understood why journalists write two completly different things about the same event. Im Polish and Im feel very offended when I read such things, especially when foreigns newspapers write about Independence Day.:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24.12.2019 at 6:40 PM, downzy said:

Is that spin, though?

Look at Izzy's history.  I don't know the situation first hand so I might be misspoken, but it doesn't seem like Izzy is someone you can rely on to show up day-in, day-out for a multi-year tour.  

agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Appreciate its a good money spinner, but for artists - surely they want to be creating and playing, not just rinse and repeating the same stuff.

 

That's the thing... Slash and Duff are artists, and they've released their own music pretty regularly over the last couple decades. Axl is just a performer, unfortunately. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

That's the thing... Slash and Duff are artists, and they've released their own music pretty regularly over the last couple decades. Axl is just a performer, unfortunately. 

 Kind of a tree falling in the forest situation.  

I've heard that he's quite prolific when it comes to songwriting and composing, but it's not a side he shows publicly too often for reasons that are his own.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Politania said:

this article hasn't got anything to do with truth. I've never understood why journalists write two completly different things about the same event. Im Polish and Im feel very offended when I read such things, especially when foreigns newspapers write about Independence Day.:(

TBH Im not why you've directed this at me, rather than the person who posted the article, or Duff. But the organizer of that Independence Day Rally is a far right figure who espouses antisemitic views like this:

Mosbacher’s critics included far-right activist Robert Bakiewicz, who organizes a yearly Independence Day march that Polish government officials joined last year.

“Christ died and was resurrected also for you, pagans and traitorous Jews,” Bakiewicz said.

https://apnews.com/377d4058f21d48d09244c13c630caa75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, downzy said:

 Kind of a tree falling in the forest situation.  

I've heard that he's quite prolific when it comes to songwriting and composing, but it's not a side he shows publicly too often for reasons that are his own.  

I'm sure he's got quite a vault of music, but it doesn't really matter how many songs he's written if he's not gonna release them. It seems like creating music is just a hobby for Axl, whereas for Slash and Duff it's an (enjoyable) part of the job. I could be wrong though, maybe Axl is actually still incredibly passionate about his music and just keeps it to himself for whatever reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, soon said:

TBH Im not why you've directed this at me, rather than the person who posted the article, or Duff. But the organizer of that Independence Day Rally is a far right figure who espouses antisemitic views like this:

Mosbacher’s critics included far-right activist Robert Bakiewicz, who organizes a yearly Independence Day march that Polish government officials joined last year.

“Christ died and was resurrected also for you, pagans and traitorous Jews,” Bakiewicz said.

https://apnews.com/377d4058f21d48d09244c13c630caa75

Sorry I quoted wrong person.

I know what idiot Bakiewicz is, but what i'm saying in general is that is very painful to read for me that kind of stuff, in which Duff believes in, because there 's no one who could verify him that.  it looks like  Im Nazi too, because I was in the crowd celebrating Independence Day. :/

Edited by Politania

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×