New Duff interview in Classic Rock (vague about new music - addresses the Izzy issue)

14 hours ago, Draguns said:

Who is to say that they won't pull off a good to great album? You and no one else has the answer to that. At least it'll have the GNR sound. CD didn't have that. 

For me, I  see it as unfinished business for Axl, Slash, and Duff. I don't think they want TSI to be known as their last album. No matter what I'm looking forward to it when it's released. 

'the experience makes me wise'.

and, oh, yes...Marc Canter telling how records were made, here on this forum ;)

did it occur to you who played on UYI II and the only record with GNR moniker post UYI?

Sure they have unfinished business, but the puzzle ain't completed yet.   ...or why do you think the only post (half)reunion song they released was again - the one with old line up?  ;)  maybe, just maaaaybe they don't think the material they have has the brilliance of 85-94 stuff!?

Slash (minus Myles) can be brilliant, but he needs more than Loaded Duff and chinese Axl to bring the band to GNR level.

17 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

between us, themselves and brand GNR, I don't really know who was insulted most with this half assed reunion nostalgia pathetic tour.

this is like watching a fuckin' bio pic with semi well choosen actors.

the songs sound familiar, the singer doesn't look or sound like himself, the guitar player is Slash, Duff plays bass but what the hell is the rest of the scene!?

85-94 band had - ATTITUDE! ...and CHARISMA.

Why the hell should we as fans feel insulted? I've seen them so many times in the NITL tour and they've all been great shows. Got to travel around the country to catch the concerts. Never thought I'd see Slash and Axl together again. It's been wonderful. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I believe Axl doesn't want to release low quality material but there's no proof he's on medications or that he lost inspiration or passion. My guess is he probably just overthinks it but a truly great artist is someone who can actually let go when it's time, knowing when their creation is getting diluted.

Listening to the 2019 leaks and comparing it with the official release which I still very much enjoy, to me it sounds like he buried a lot of what made the material compelling with attempts to improve the same tunes with layers of newer ideas, adding and replacing them with others years after they were originally conceived.

That is the best way to lose the vibe that most albums got, a snapshot of a specific time in the artist's life. It's amazing it worked at all and I'm glad he made it but a decade for one album is too much time to labor over just one thing imo and Chinese wasn't the end of it cause it's been 11 years since that was released which probably means he's still overthinks it.

Not necessarily. A lot of time has past since Chinese released, but four of those 11 years has featured the current lineup touring. I really do think a new record was probably closer than some people think, probably around 2014, up until the thought of a Slash return started to become a reality. If given the option of GNR material with DJ Ashba recording over Finck or Buckethead, or waiting several years to get a new record from a Slash/Duff/Axl lineup, I would have chosen to wait. LOL

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

Not necessarily. A lot of time has past since Chinese released, but four of those 11 years has featured the current lineup touring. I really do think a new record was probably closer than some people think, probably around 2014, up until the thought of a Slash return started to become a reality. If given the option of GNR material with DJ Ashba recording over Finck or Buckethead, or waiting several years to get a new record from a Slash/Duff/Axl lineup, I would have chosen to wait. LOL

it seems there's always a perfectly good reason to not release a Gn'R album. They had 4 years to do the reunion tour and they just keep adding shows instead of solely focusing on making an album. They can do whatever they want of course, it's their band, but what happened to the art comes first? nowdays, that line sounds like a bad joke.

On 12/28/2019 at 9:22 AM, shotsfired cro said:

'the experience makes me wise'.

and, oh, yes...Marc Canter telling how records were made, here on this forum ;)

did it occur to you who played on UYI II and the only record with GNR moniker post UYI?

Sure they have unfinished business, but the puzzle ain't completed yet.   ...or why do you think the only post (half)reunion song they released was again - the one with old line up?  ;)  maybe, just maaaaybe they don't think the material they have has the brilliance of 85-94 stuff!?

Slash (minus Myles) can be brilliant, but he needs more than Loaded Duff and chinese Axl to bring the band to GNR level.

Well, they did had loaded Duff for years and it worked out pretty well.😊

Edited by lame ass security
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Izzy has been described, consistently, by various people, most of which love him, as being a flakey free spirit for about 30 years now. It's not hard to believe he didn't want to sign up to tour the world indefinitely. 

Duff and Axl are not reliable in their words about izzy because they have an obvious agenda, if there is anyone else that you can share to support this flakey bs that would be great, being comfortable sober and successful is definitely not flakey, the whole quitting on the brink of a huge tour is all anyone can go by  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Duff and Axl are not reliable in their words about izzy because they have an obvious agenda, if there is anyone else that you can share to support this flakey bs that would be great, being comfortable sober and successful is definitely not flakey, the whole quitting on the brink of a huge tour is all anyone can go by  

Alright, so what part of Izzy's last 30 years would suggest he would be on board with indefinitate world touring? 

Just to make it clear, I love Izzys contributions to the band as a songwriter. But Izzy himself made it clear in several interviews that he didn't want to be in a famous band as GnR and all the things that follows. He never wanted to play big stadiums and that sort of things.. And I guess money becomes a factor for him doing it because of that. 

Still annoying that so many fans just don't get it: He just don't want to.

• Like 2

I love reading all the comments when a new album is mentioned.  We act like they are curing cancer :-)

Its JUST music, all the excuses about "axl not wanting bad product", etc.  If they want to, they will.  Hell, Justin Bieber just announced new music, with single coming out 1/3/20.  They already have one of the best selling albums ever, and followed it it up with UYI and some solid stuff afterward.  At this point, they could release an album with happy birthday sung 14 different ways, and 97% of us would buy it the day it came out, including me.  Then there would be 3 different topics from Axl's voice, to slash playing etc.  At the end of the day, its really just a simple question, do they want to, or not?  There was a time where we would have paid anything to see the big 3 back together touring, they gave that, now we complain enough is enough.  Hopefully 2020 is the year, with many older bands touring and releasing new music.  I still believe they are smart enough to do it, we shall see.  Happy new year everyone!

Edited by fabrph5

On 12/29/2019 at 8:23 PM, Modano09 said:

Ok, so it was his decision and him not being there isn't something to rip Duff over. 

yes b/c duff is lying about the reasoning, he positions it as if he would've never taken part which is partly true b/c i doubt he would've wanted to tour endlessly as well for obvious music integrity reasons however, he skillfully puts the spotlight on that reason rather than the origin of the reason which was splitting cuts which he damn sure as helll was not prepared to do to accomodate his inclusion - this is the kinda thing why slash said duff was spineless monsieur .. 

• Like 1

If Izzy wanted same money with at least slash/Axl,he should have done more work,I think he is bored and lazy of the idea of touring 4 years in a row playing big setlists that need many hours of practice and rehearsals,salary is just an easy excuse to avoid be part of reunion.

He sucks after he left the band first,he plays some mediocre solo stuff in small crowds.

Edited by Majestic Beast
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

I love reading all the comments when a new album is mentioned.  We act like they are curing cancer :-)

Its JUST music, all the excuses about "axl not wanting bad product", etc.  If they want to, they will.  Hell, Justin Bieber just announced new music, with single coming out 1/3/20.  They already have one of the best selling albums ever, and followed it it up with UYI and some solid stuff afterward.  At this point, they could release an album with happy birthday sung 14 different ways, and 97% of us would buy it the day it came out, including me.  Then there would be 3 different topics from Axl's voice, to slash playing etc.  At the end of the day, its really just a simple question, do they want to, or not?  There was a time where we would have paid anything to see the big 3 back together touring, they gave that, now we complain enough is enough.  Hopefully 2020 is the year, with many older bands touring and releasing new music.  I still believe they are smart enough to do it, we shall see.  Happy new year everyone!

Complain that they aren’t releasing music only to later complain about the music that ends up being released. 

It’s a vicious cycle 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

he did? maybe I've missed it. Can you please provide the proof?

Seriously?   Dude, I don't document where I hear and see things, I'm guessing it was in Rolling Stone, but it may have been in Niven's book.  Regardless, at one point he was seeing several different therapists at one time and on a cocktail of psychotropic meds and has curtailed that down to maybe one or two (Prozac and Trazodone maybe).

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Seriously?   Dude, I don't document where I hear and see things, I'm guessing it was in Rolling Stone, but it may have been in Niven's book.  Regardless, at one point he was seeing several different therapists at one time and on a cocktail of psychotropic meds and has curtailed that down to maybe one or two (Prozac and Trazodone maybe).

yes, seriously lol. Please provide proof or it didn't happen. Thanks.

The only time I know Axl had mentioned medication (for BPD) was in the 80s and he said it didn't help him. There were also reports in the press of the time on that with references to people around him saying he didn't take the medication regularly.

Other than that, he hasn't mentioned anything since nor there's been a source about him taking this kind of meds, as far as I know (Niven hasn't released a book). It was only reported he was taking homeopathic medication and "new age" stuff during the UYI era (and probably he continued later), not conventional medication.

Edited by Blackstar

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The only time I know Axl had mentioned medication (for BPD) was in the 80s and he said it didn't help him. There were also reports in the press of the time on that with references to people around him saying he didn't take the medication regularly.

Other than that, he hasn't mentioned anything since nor there's been a source about him taking this kind of meds, as far as I know (Niven hasn't released a book). It was only reported he was taking homeopathic medication and other "new age" stuff during the UYI era (and probably he continued later).

Yes, sorry... I meant Mick Wall's book.  I believe he may have been quoting Niven in it (i did say maybe originally).