Best films of the decade?

DieselDaisy

I'm sure I have forgotten a few, and will tweak this list, but the best I have compiled is,

1. Son of Saul  (2015)
2. Get Out  (2017)
3. Victoria (2015)
4. Us (2019)
5. Aus dem Nichts (In the Fade) (2017)
6. The Irishman (2019)
7 Der Hauptmann (2017)
8. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
9. The Witch (2015).
10. Outrage (2010)

Runners up: 13 Assassins (2010), Silence (2016), Skyfall (2012), Anthropod (2016).

Edited by DieselDaisy

The 00s fudge into the 10s so I kept looking up films that I thought slotted in with the 10s - Pan's Labyrinth, The Dark Knight, Das Leben der Anderen, der Untergang - and discovering they were made in 2006 or something similar!!

So either the 00s and 10s have no discernible difference (in a way that the '70s and '80s had say), or this is a sign of aging?

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The 00s fudge into the 10s so I kept looking up films that I thought slotted in with the 10s - Pan's Labyrinth, The Dark Knight, Das Leben der Anderen, der Untergang - and discovering they were made in 2006 or something similar!!

Pans Labyrinth - I know that movie! Sorry, Im just proud of myself anytime I know I movie that you endorse.

Updated:

1.Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

2.The Martian (2015)

3.Inception (2010)

4.Skyfall (2012)

5.Blackkklansman (2018)

6.Knives Out! (2019)

7.Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

8.War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

9.Logan (2017)

10.John Wick (2014)

11.Argo (2012)

12.Django Unchained (2012)

13.Looper (2012)

14.Arrival (2016)

15.22 Jump Street (2014)

16.Gravity (2013)

17.Coco (2017)

18.Toy Story 3 (2010)

19.The Lego Movie (2014)

20.Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Edited by rocknroll41

Under the Skin

Mommy 

Melancholia

Inside Llewelyn Davis

Black Swan

The Act of Killing/The Look of Silence

Anna Karenina

Mad Max: Fury Road 

Holy Motors 

The Social Network

A Separation 

Whiplash

Birdman

American Hustle

Cold War

Honorable Mentions: Logan, The Witch, Elle, Winter’s Bone, Son of Saul, Margaret, Silver Linings Playbook, How to Survive a Plague, The Handmaiden, The Master, Looper, Get Out, Public Speakinf, Bill Cunningham’s New York, Her, Mom and Dad, Force Majure, Blue Jasmine, Christine, The Favorite, The Lobster, Ida, Manchester By the Sea, Phantom Thread, Arrival, Before Midnight, Jackie, First Reformed, Top Five

Edited by Angelica

• 1 month later...

I don't like any movie after the 90s. It's all corporate drivel, one movie after another. Everything is trash these days. I think the 60s-90s were the golden age of cinema.

70s

every which way but loose

live and let die

moonraker

texas chainsaw massacre

the hills have eyes

80s:

predator

the evil dead

heartbreak ridge

rocky series 

indiana jones series

coming to america

twins

robocop

90s

terminator 2

a few good men

jurassic park

the mask

the lion king

forest gump

blair witch project

5 minutes ago, action said:

I don't like any movie after the 90s. It's all corporate drivel, one movie after another. Everything is trash these days. I think the 60s-90s were the golden age of cinema.

70s

every which way but loose

live and let die

moonraker

texas chainsaw massacre

the hills have eyes

80s:

predator

the evil dead

heartbreak ridge

rocky series 

indiana jones series

coming to america

twins

robocop

90s

terminator 2

a few good men

jurassic park

the mask

the lion king

forest gump

blair witch project

How is Terminator 2 not corporate drivel? :lol:  I could tell you some great films post 90s  The Fighter with Bale and Wahlberg, There Will Be Blood with Daniel Day Lewis, City of God, Training Day, Dead Mans Shoes, Snatch, No Country for Old Men, American Gangster, 25th Hour, Crash.  Tried to pick ones I thought you might like, There Will Be Blood might be a bit slow moving for ya.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

How is Terminator 2 not corporate drivel? :lol:  

no movie corporation would produce terminator 2 these days. it would shock milennials too much. too much bad-assness, too much testosterone and too little "diversity". the movie is just too awesome, too much fun. we can't have that, anymore for some reason. terminator respected the intelligence of the viewer, and that is something that is utterly lost in today's cinema / TV programs. It would be quite a shock, would it release today. 

'50s and '20s for me. 1920s was the great age of silent cinema, German Expressionism, Soviet Montage. The 1950s saw Hollywood at its peak and was the ''Golden Age of Japanese Cinema'' (Kurosawa, Ozu, etc., in their pomp) and the heyday of Italian Neorealism.

But it is all a bit arbitrary really.

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

'50s and '20s for me. 1920s was the great age of silent cinema, German Expressionism, Soviet Montage. The 1950s saw Hollywood at its peak and was the ''Golden Age of Japanese Cinema'' (Kurosawa, Ozu, etc., in their pomp) and the heyday of Italian Neorealism.

But it is all a bit arbitrary really.

two decades directly following a world war

7 hours ago, action said:

two decades directly following a world war

Good point. This is what we need to solve the crisis in cinema, a good world war. Trump, it is over to you. Speaking seriously, it is actually a rather good point. Something to do with pent up creative desires being unleashed when peace arrives? Perhaps an artistic antiwar-esque reaction to the cruelty of war. 

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Good point. This is what we need to solve the crisis in cinema, a good world war. Trump, it is over to you. Speaking seriously, it is actually a rather good point. Something to do with pent up creative desires being unleashed when peace arrives? Perhaps an artistic antiwar-esque reaction to the cruelty of war. 

after Hitler, elvis happened too

I believe the reason why there is such lethargy in artistry these days (music, film,...) is because we are really living in good times for the past... 60 years or so. You hear of wars here and there in far away countries (but that doesn't matter to most people more than watching an action movie), and we have the occasional terrorist attack (random attacks like that happened all the time, only the perpetrators were different. Terror is of all ages). In short, we are getting emotionally dulled. The atmosphere in the 20s and 50s was of overwhelming happiness, it was indeed fertile ground for great artists.

Edited by action

1 hour ago, action said:

after Hitler, elvis happened too

I believe the reason why there is such lethargy in artistry these days (music, film,...) is because we are really living in good times for the past... 60 years or so. You hear of wars here and there in far away countries (but that doesn't matter to most people more than watching an action movie), and we have the occasional terrorist attack (random attacks like that happened all the time, only the perpetrators were different. Terror is of all ages). In short, we are getting emotionally dulled. The atmosphere in the 20s and 50s was of overwhelming happiness, it was indeed fertile ground for great artists.

I think when you grow up in the shadow of death as people or many people in England did during WW2 it leads to a desire of like, y'know, if I ever get out of this I'm gonna live like a motherfucker.  Its worth noting that the big boys, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, were all born or a few of em born during bombing campaigns of England, it must leave some sort of a psychic stamp on you, a thing like that.  I remember Richard Harris saying it in an interview when asked why people like him and Oliver Reed and Peter O Toole and really that whole generation were so into wine and song and revelry and hell-raising, it had something to do with coming out of the other end of that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think when you grow up in the shadow of death as people or many people in England did during WW2 it leads to a desire of like, y'know, if I ever get out of this I'm gonna live like a motherfucker.  Its worth noting that the big boys, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, were all born or a few of em born during bombing campaigns of England, it must leave some sort of a psychic stamp on you, a thing like that.  I remember Richard Harris saying it in an interview when asked why people like him and Oliver Reed and Peter O Toole and really that whole generation were so into wine and song and revelry and hell-raising, it had something to do with coming out of the other end of that.

today's people moan and bitch about the stupidest things. "Oh, there's too few black people in this movie. Oh, another heterosexual action hero. Oh, he made a joke about jewish people". Give me a fucking break. Those are these people's problems? My great grand dad fought in the first world war. He helped defend the country when the german artillery was advancing and bombs were flying around his head. When the war was over, he wouldn't tell a word about it all, he just straighted his back and carried on in life, cracking jokes till the day he died. The people of today are just pussies.

9 minutes ago, action said:

today's people moan and bitch about the stupidest things. "Oh, there's too few black people in this movie. Oh, another heterosexual action hero. Oh, he made a joke about jewish people". Give me a fucking break. Those are these people's problems? My great grand dad fought in the first world war. He helped defend the country when the german artillery was advancing and bombs were flying around his head. When the war was over, he wouldn't tell a word about it all, he just straighted his back and carried on in life, cracking jokes till the day he died. The people of today are just pussies.

I'll do you one better, my Grandad on my Dads side fought in that war too, he probably didn't know what it was about to complain about it and no one much cared to make note of where he fought or...particularly anything.  All I know is that he was in Egypt somewhere :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I'll do you one better, my Grandad on my Dads side fought in that war too, he probably didn't know what it was about to complain about it and no one much cared to make note of where he fought or...particularly anything.  All I know is that he was in Egypt somewhere :lol: 

well, that war was the genuine article, that's for sure. living hell on earth. people reduced to animals, cannon fodder. falling like flies, buried in nameless graves

and today's people complain because someone says a wrong word on twitter, for fucks sake. Trump this, trump that. Wilhelm II of germany, Hitler, stalin... now THOSE were real scumbag, effectively going into a world war. Trump is, what? A foul mouthed clownesque figure. I've yet to see the first genuine war he fights.

Edited by action