What would be your ideal GNR tour?

Assuming the band will keep touring for the foreseeable future, either continuing NITL or naming it something else, what do you think would be the best possible show they could put on? Let's assume that after the upcoming European shows, they don't release any new material, but just continue touring. At most, maybe they'll play Hardschool, since it was an alt on the last leg of NITL.

Should they do a co-headline tour? Something similar to "Crue Fest", with 4-5 opening bands? An "Evening with GNR" kind of tour, similar to UCAP or the Vegas residencies? Should they cut the set down to 90 minutes, all killer no filler?

Having seen the NITL lineup 5 times in large venues, the coolest thing for me would be an "evening with" kind of tour in relatively small venues (>10k capacity, theatres and small arenas) where they open with an acoustic set, and close with an electric set. Something like this would be great:

Set 1: Acoustic

You're Crazy
Move To The City
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Used To Love Her
So Fine
Wichita Lineman
November Rain
You Ain't The First
Patience
Catcher In The Rye
Don't Cry
Knockin' On Heavens Door

Set 2: Electric

Welcome To The Jungle
Mr. Brownstone
Live And Let Die
Dead Horse
Estranged
Attitude
You Could Be Mine
Chinese Democracy
It's So Easy
Locomotive
Double Talkin' Jive
Sweet Child O' Mine
Nightrain
Hardschool
Paradise City

• Like 1

I like your idea of an evening with GNR and honestly that’s probably the most likely. I’d probably prefer the Cruefest type of tour though. Kinda like Motley Crue is doing now with def lep and poison. They could probably make it an annual tour like ozzfest was and it could see them well into their retirement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My ideal tour would be one where they release a new record and properly promote it prior to the start of the tour ;)

Well yea... but this is GNR we're talking about. :lol:

I'd love something similar to the Canada 2010 tour - all the old hits, a few old deep cuts, and 10~ new songs per show. But I don't think that will happen even if they do release a new record.

• Like 1

When it comes to GNR would prefer just seeing the band on its own with a good up and coming band as support like the band did during the illusion tour.

Dont care for the acoustic set woukd prefer  only one cover if that what motivates the band and no more. The band have a wide catalogue where they dont need to do covers.

However this is assuming  gnr could be a normal band and release new music, tour, new music rinse repeat like normal creative bands do. 

They could also ask fans via their website what songs they would like to hear, and with a confirmed list, maybe tour those songs on a summer NA theatre or club show. Some bands have done this in the past. Something out of the norm and for the fans.

This is why i still have alot of respect for older bands such as metallica, priest etc who still record and release new music because they still love the creative studio vibe.

Some variety would be great! No point in doing a “whole new show” and then playing that same show 200 more times. 

Maybe play AFD start to finish one night, acoustic set the next, deep cuts the next. Play a new song, even Hardschool. 

I understand it’s tough with pyro, videos etc but this is what people want going into year 5 of touring. The show threads on here were down to 2 pages at times on the last run. No one gave a damn anymore, too predictable. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Well yea... but this is GNR we're talking about. :lol:

I'd love something similar to the Canada 2010 tour - all the old hits, a few old deep cuts, and 10~ new songs per show. But I don't think that will happen even if they do release a new record.

Sorry, I couldn't resist stating the obvious lol. 

Having said that, I'd love it if they brought an acoustic section back. For the of God, rotate the songs in it every so often though. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist stating the obvious lol. 

Having said that, I'd love it if they brought an acoustic section back. For the of God, rotate the songs in it every so often though. 

It would be cool to hear them play Dead Flowers again, or maybe If The World or Sorry in an acoustic set. Maybe just rotate the covers and CD songs. I listened to VR's acoustic version of Slither again recently and that would be a cool thing to hear from this lineup.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

To be perfectly honest, I feel completely uninterested in Guns as a live act these days, and not just because of the lack of new material (although obviously that hasn’t helped). Axl and whatever his version of GNR is has toured so frequently from 09-19 that it doesn’t really feel special anymore.  When something’s on your doorstep every 2yrs, it’s human nature to start to feel the novelty wear thin. Over-familiarity breeds contempt etc.

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What would be your ideal GNR tour?

• In support of a new album that has been released or has a release date set in stone in the near future
  • Playing at least 4 songs off that new album every night, with a lot of variation between which songs are played
  • Variation in setlists, i.e. 60% fixed and 40% variation, playing different deep cuts from all their albums every night
  • Drop the stupid fucking backdrops, they just seem to limit which songs get played
  • Do a 4 or 5 song acoustic set somewhere in the show every night, like they did on Skin n Bones
  • Ideally they'd have Izzy and Adler on the tour. But I'd settle for "just" the other points
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

I like your idea of an evening with GNR and honestly that’s probably the most likely. I’d probably prefer the Cruefest type of tour though. Kinda like Motley Crue is doing now with def lep and poison. They could probably make it an annual tour like ozzfest was and it could see them well into their retirement. 

Do you know how much tickets are going for regarding Motley Crue/Def Leppard, Poison/ Joan Jett??? I was looking at ticket prices for Citi Field. They are $200-$300 on average for poor seats. Not to mention the travel cost of going there from NJ. Both NYC and NJ Transit have limited travel options on a Sunday night. 

The complaints of something like that on here would  skyrocket in regards to cost. 

54 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Do you know how much tickets are going for regarding Motley Crue/Def Leppard, Poison/ Joan Jett??? I was looking at ticket prices for Citi Field. They are $200-$300 on average for poor seats. Not to mention the travel cost of going there from NJ. Both NYC and NJ Transit have limited travel options on a Sunday night. 

The complaints of something like that on here would  skyrocket in regards to cost. 

I paid $150 for floor seats, section A row 15.  I got them the day tickets were released.   And I also got 1 ticket for Guns at super bowl weekend for $450section 106 :(

4 minutes ago, Dcrazed212 said:

I paid $150 for floor seats, section A row 15.  I got them the day tickets were released.   And I also got 1 ticket for Guns at super bowl weekend for $450section 106 :(

I asked my friends if they wanted to go. No one wants to spend the money due to Vince Neil's voice. Also Citi Field is tough to get to  and leave on a Sunday night if you are living in NJ. 

That's a lot money for one ticket. I looked at Rolling Stones tickets at MetLife Stadium to take my father  for his 70th birthday last year. The very last row at MetLife Stadium costed $360 for one ticket without fees. Instead, I took him to the Giants home opener which was cheaper.