TMZ Runs Story About Leaks, GN'R Management Publicly Responds

First, no one outside of this community cares about these leaks. I doubt this makes a blip on anyone’s radar outside of a 24hr news cycle for music Twitter. A TMZ story about leaks, while interesting that it pops up now, doesn’t really move the needle in 2019. This isn’t 10 yrs ago. People have moved on to streaming and the concept of downloading songs is ancient tech 

The label also has a right to sue. They certainly don’t care about any of the risk associated with the backlash. They want to sell a future record and the people in copyright protection want to collect damages to prove their jobs. I’m sure GNR doesn’t feel the love loss either and have willingly cooperated

The min Rick put his name out there that he was associated with this, he made himself a target. It was stupid and also unfortunate. I feel bad that anyone has to go through with this. It can change lives 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

First, no one outside of this community cares about these leaks. I doubt this makes a blip on anyone’s radar outside of a 24hr news cycle for music Twitter. A TMZ story about leaks, while interesting that it pops up now, doesn’t really move the needle in 2019. This isn’t 10 yrs ago. People have moved on to streaming and the concept of downloading songs is ancient tech 

The label also has a right to sue. They certainly don’t care about any of the risk associated with the backlash. They want to sell a future record and the people in copyright protection want to collect damages to prove their jobs. I’m sure GNR doesn’t feel the love loss either and have willingly cooperated

The min Rick put his name out there that he was associated with this, he made himself a target. It was stupid and also unfortunate. I feel bad that anyone has to go through with this. It can change lives 

This. It's the same as the 2008 leaks of half of Chinese Democracy. The label pursued legal action, and required Guns N' Roses' management to participate. I will not place blame on the band until we receive explicit confirmation Axl approved this. They don't have time for this. They're too busy having three-hour meetings about future tours and potential crap on which to plaster the band's name. 

I would not entirely discount the "Tom's locker got auctioned off" theory. The band's representative gave as non-committal a response; probably to avoid making everyone look like an idiot over something so absurd actually occurring. Does Tom even work at Universal anymore? Did he even work there after Axl dismissed him in 2001? I doubt he had seen, or even thought of, that locker since then. Do you remember what was in your office desk/locker from the job you held in 2001? 

Also agree re: Rick. He reminds me a lot of the dude who leaked the songs in 2008 (cannot remember his name off the top of my head). It was an awesome thing to do for the fans, but putting his name out there like that (even if he did not actually leak the songs himself) was bound to raise some eyebrows internally and result in some kind of punishment. It also probably didn't help that he broadcast himself attending GN'R festival shows on the internet after the ban.

Edited by themadcaplaughs

1 minute ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Does Tom even work at Universal anymore? Did he even work there after Axl dismissed him in 2001? I doubt he had seen, or even thought of, that locker since then. Do you remember what was in your office desk/locker from the job you held in 2001? 

He doesn't and he didn't. He didn't even work with Geffen/Interscope anymore when he worked with Axl on the CD project. He was brought in as an external associate.

I'm going back in time. Was Zutaut the one who leak a lot of CD songs back in 2006? Was Zutaut, Rick or someone else who leak remixes and Going Down later?

Who gave former baseball player Mike Piazza the CD with IRS recording?

I mean we have had  leaks over the years and just now the band and UMG are taking action?

25 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Because they most likely are going to use the songs. 

I hope you’re right, cause I really do wanna hear finalized versions of Atlas and Elvis, among other songs from that batch, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

I'm going back in time. Was Zutaut the one who leak a lot of CD songs back in 2006? Was Zutaut, Rick or someone else who leak remixes and Going Down later?

Who gave former baseball player Mike Piazza the CD with IRS recording?

I mean we have had  leaks over the years and just now the band and UMG are taking action?

The 2006 stuff was leaked by someone who’s name isn’t allowed to be mentioned on this forum anymore, as far as I know. This same individual supplied Going Down and the remixes later on, but didn’t leak them himself, from what I’ve heard.

idk who gave Piazza the IRS tape.

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I hope you’re right, cause I really do wanna hear finalized versions of Atlas and Elvis, among other songs from that batch, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Honestly, I don't care what we get. I just want new music. People hoping and praying for something "completely new" as in written with the current band? Doesn't matter to me. Slash and Duff can put some of their own touches on previously recorded material. Someone posted a rumor here recently that Axl laid down new vocals on "Atlas" and "Hardschool." Who the F knows.

Edited by GnR Chris

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The 2006 stuff was leaked by someone who’s name isn’t allowed to be mentioned on this forum anymore, as far as I know. This same individual supplied Going Down and the remixes later on, but didn’t leak them himself, from what I’ve heard.

idk who gave Piazza the IRS tape.

I know of that person. Also for some people, Fernando was a suspect for a while. But this story about Zutaut and Rick is whole new ballgame. That's why I was asking about leaks we had in the past. I want the whole picture.

axl woke up on new years and was like 

ok fuck time to try and re-hack the album 

lets go over the 2001 material again 

but axl most of it got leaked remember? 

ok but lets do it anyways 

but axl shouldn't we sue the fuck out everyone first? 

yeah lets sue everyone then we'll think about doing the album...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

I know of that person. Also for some people, Fernando was a suspect for a while. But this story about Zutaut and Rick is whole new ballgame. That's why I was asking about leaks we had in the past. I want the whole picture.

The recent leaks don't seem to have come originally from people who were related to past leaks. The "unnamed" one got involved at a later point and was among a small circle of people who obtained the leaks before everyone else did, but they didn't originate from him.

I have a theory: this could be a convenient way to delay the new album. 

Guns and management can use this whole scenario, now that it’s public to the mainstream media, to justify not touring with a new album. A la “we had plans in the work for new material but we had to sue everyone who leaked our material so it pushed things back quite a bit...”. That way when they do their supposed “new” tour and an all “new” show and there’s no new music, they can justify it (in their eyes).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It baffles me that Tom Zutaut is so clean after all this. He's clearly the one to blame, if there's someone.

I mean, how the fuck do you let something like this happen? If I were Axl or UMG I'd wanna sue him too - point is they're not suing him, the guy who lost the stuff, but the guy who found it.

I've been suspecting since day one that GNR is somehow, somewhat behind these leaks, and IMO this goes with it. 

Piazza got a CD with IRS and 2 other songs in the mail from a strip club DJ who copied it and sent it to Mike after Axl had the DJ play it at a strip club

The DJ and/or strip club owner was a friend of Piazza’s family

Edited by TheSeeker

7 minutes ago, ManetsBR said:

It baffles me that Tom Zutaut is so clean after all this. He's clearly the one to blame, if there's someone.

I mean, how the fuck do you let something like this happen? If I were Axl or UMG I'd wanna sue him too - point is they're not suing him, the guy who lost the stuff, but the guy who found it.

I've been suspecting since day one that GNR is somehow, somewhat behind these leaks, and IMO this goes with it. 

i guess it depends on how zutaut got the material to begin with, was it handed over to him in good faith? did he steal it? Was it officially given to him to be returned later? Did a third party unofficially give it to him?
id assume the music was given to him in good faith to listen to and he knew what a train wreck it was going to be so the disks went in the trash (or so he thought)

the Brazilian cleaning lady found the disks whilst emptying the bin and held onto them

Edited by megaguns1982

Just now, megaguns1982 said:

i guess it depends on how zutaut got the material to begin with, was it handed over to him in good faith? did he steal it? Was it officially given to him to be returned later? Did a third party unofficially give it to him?
id assume the music was given to him in good faith to listen to and he knew what a train wreck it was going to be so the disks went in the trash (or so he thought)

Well, since one of the tracks (Madagascar take 1,222,333?) says something like "Mix that Tom likes" I assume he was balls deep in the Village sessions that were leaked

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Blabbermouth have picked up on the story now 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-superfan-threatened-with-lawsuit-over-leaked-recordings/

20 CD!!! of music. And Rick made it public in October talking to some radio show. And this lawsuit is taking place now? Rick says he just got part of the loot

Don't lose yourself. Tom Zutaut rightfully had the tracks; he was the producer.

Any other artist's producer losing their boss' work to the point of it leaking online would be absurd. Somehow GNR managed to convince us the problem was actually on the people who found it.