GNRfanJen

TMZ Runs Story About Leaks, GN'R Management Publicly Responds

24 minutes ago, Lio said:

You can throw Izzy in as well then. His JuJu Hounds stuff was auctioned off as well.

The storage locker story is only what we were told by someone who hasn't been 100% honest and reliable. We don't know if it existed. The GNR rep saying Zutaut 'found it appropriate to auction off' the stuff implies that it was not just some silly thing that happened unconsciously.

And TB wasn't involved in GNR management in 2000. You can hardly blame them for this. I'm not in the music industry, but seen as Zutaut had discs of GNR, but also of JuJu Hounds (and maybe more), it would seem normal practice to have people working with you have copies of the stuff you're working on. (I think there were some UYI or older material circulated by Alan Niven too, from copies he had.) It doesn't mean you get to sell it. And that's where it comes down to in the end. Stuff was sold and leaked and it wasn't theirs to sell or distribute, and that's illegal.

Izzy is not taking legal action against anyone so far. His music are not CD left over.

It is normal for other people working in the project to have copies. It is not normal when nobody knows what those people are doing with the copies. And if they knew they didn't care.

Of course it is wrong to leak or sell material. Bootlegs are nothing new. These days with all the technology it gets even worst. But in this case we're talking about a lot of tapes that have been missing for a long time. And when a fan made it public he had them. The people who should've protected the tapes go after him. Fine, but they also have to look at the mistakes they made. Axl, UMG and managers could've dome something before to avoid this situation. Or at least do something to minimize the damage.

35 minutes ago, Lio said:

You can throw Izzy in as well then. His JuJu Hounds stuff was auctioned off as well.

The storage locker story is only what we were told by someone who hasn't been 100% honest and reliable. We don't know if it existed. The GNR rep saying Zutaut 'found it appropriate to auction off' the stuff implies that it was not just some silly thing that happened unconsciously.

And TB wasn't involved in GNR management in 2000. You can hardly blame them for this. I'm not in the music industry, but seen as Zutaut had discs of GNR, but also of JuJu Hounds (and maybe more), it would seem normal practice to have people working with you have copies of the stuff you're working on. (I think there were some UYI or older material circulated by Alan Niven too, from copies he had.) It doesn't mean you get to sell it. And that's where it comes down to in the end. Stuff was sold and leaked and it wasn't theirs to sell or distribute, and that's illegal.

It’s not unheard of and is normal practice to have copies floating amongst your team or a few people. Most likely nobody is asking for anything back to control things. There’s too much going on to track at that level 

Same thing goes for recording engineers, assistants, etc who may have made copies of sessions while working. If you ever want to continue working in that field, you don’t let it out. That’s usually enough of a deterrent. If you get caught selling it, then there’s legal action. Same goes for Tom. 

UMG/RIAA employ entire anti piracy teams. To prove their worth, they go after individuals such as this instance. Said it the moment Rick was bragging what he’d do. It’s going to lead back to him. 

Maybe they can’t prove directly he leaked the songs. However there’s a lot of circumstantial evidence they can build around him. He had the songs, he claimed that he’d make them available, he made a deal, etc.. A good attorney will make a case that you don’t need the weapon to convict. The RIAA/UMG will pursue fully to prove their divisions worth. It’s unfortunate and serious for everyone involved 

• Like 2

Portuguese outlets are picking up on the story now too, which means it’s becoming worldwide news now!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

Hey guys, so at this point this story is months old, but it finally hit TMZ, and a "rep" for the band (we all know who), released a statement on it. Link is below.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/02/guns-n-roses-pissed-superfan-leaked-music-leak/

Rick Dunsford and the Leaky Locker; GnR Fandom's worst kept secret

Edited by username

26 minutes ago, username said:

Rick Dunsford and the Leaky Locker; GnR Fandom's worst kept secret

Band name used to book the secret show at the Whisky to kick off an album release....

Wait, that would be too cool for them to pull off

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

Band name used to book the secret show at the Whisky to kick off an album release....

Wait, that would be too cool for them to pull off

If this incident is anything to go by, the show would be so secret that the media wouldn't pick up on it until three months later.

49 minutes ago, username said:

Rick Dunsford and the Leaky Locker

This sounds like the title of a really bizarre Children's Book. I'd write it, but I don't want GNR to sue me for the rights.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, username said:

u7mItHu.png

Rick cannot go to prison from a civil suit. I suppose criminal charges could be pursued like they were in 2008, but I'm sure after that fiasco, the FBI never wants to deal with Guns n' Roses again (cannot believe I just typed that sentence). 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't really care any more, but I think this is it for the Chairman. 

This is so maddening because on one hand, I get that a band would not want their unreleased songs out there for free.

On the other hand, they should really try to use this publicity to their advantage and release something - spin it into something good if it's really so bad.

If they professionally mixed these and made them digital downloads I would absolutely buy them again.

2 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

This is so maddening because on one hand, I get that a band would not want their unreleased songs out there for free.

On the other hand, they should really try to use this publicity to their advantage and release something - spin it into something good if it's really so bad.

If they professionally mixed these and made them digital downloads I would absolutely buy them again.

This is most likely coming from UMG. It’s their investment regardless what the current intention is with those recordings. GNR was never going to make anything substantial, if anything off of these songs. That’s probably truthful even if they re-record them with Slash/Duff. 

We can certainly guess how GNR feels about it, and their level of cooperation though. My guess is they’re pissed it’s out there. Probably in the premise that it was never meant to be heard and/or used as leverage more so than anything directly monetarily. 

9 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

We can certainly guess how GNR feels about it, and their level of cooperation though. My guess is they’re pissed it’s out there. Probably in the premise that it was never meant to be heard and/or used as leverage more so than anything directly monetarily. 

Yeah the leaks exposed that Axl fudged the number of completed songs he had banked - he bluffed for 20 years and got away with it

Now he might actually have to do work and he’s mad

I wasn’t bothered about the leaks when they came out but it shows how sad things are in GNR world when fans have to pay 15 grand for 20 year old songs all because Axl doesn’t act like normal musicians do and release music. This shouldn’t need to be happening. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Yeah the leaks exposed that Axl fudged the number of completed songs he had banked - he bluffed for 20 years and got away with it

Now he might actually have to do work and he’s mad

It was something from 20 years ago...how can you say that for sure? Maybe he simply doesn't want unfinish material around.....or material that at the end he didn't like.

• Like 1

The Ju Ju Hounds tape is from 1993 when they were on the same label as GnR, which explains why Zutaut had a copy 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, downliner said:

The Ju Ju Hounds tape is from 1993 when they were on the same label as GnR, which explains why Zutaut had a copy 

Didn’t Axl get Izzy to give him the demo for Down By the Ocean and whatever else him and Duff worked on in 1995?

I thought that happened around 2001 - Axl originally wanted Izzy to be at Rock in Rio that year

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, downliner said:

Is there a chance Izzy might take legal action against Zutaut?

34 minutes ago, Padme said:

Is there a chance Izzy might take legal action against Zutaut?

I've no idea tbh. Izzys disc didn't leak so not sure he'd have a legal case, unless GnR is correct and Zutaut was openly selling these? We'll probably find out more info if UMG does go ahead with suing Rick though :shrugs:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Had Guns released the finished tracks via streaming they would have made pennies on the dollar compared to this locker sale. They really should have sold their own stuff storage wars style and once it circulated they could release official videos and cash in on that money and the publicity for a tour.

Edited by soon

51 minutes ago, downliner said:

I've no idea tbh. Izzys disc didn't leak so not sure he'd have a legal case, unless GnR is correct and Zutaut was openly selling these? We'll probably find out more info if UMG does go ahead with suing Rick though :shrugs:

There’s probably something in his employment contract with Geffen (now UMG) that prohibits selling these outright and possibly leaves him open to a suit if that’s the case... You’d have to really prove he was not only the source but had the intent to sell and collected payment. Losing them is not really the same 

Izzy/GNR don’t have much to do with it. They can certainly cooperate and provide info, but these are UMG’s recordings. They can sue without their blessing. Hell the FBI could come in and pursue further without UMG’s blessing. 

Rick made a mistake the day he posted he was involved