Have you actually spent much money directly on GnR the commercial entity?

It struck me recently that although I've been a big fan since 1989, I haven't actually spent much money which would've gone directly to the GnR brand. 

I inherited second hand cassettes of most of their albums, and bought a lot of second hand singles and rarities records. Now I just stream it. So the only new purchases I've ever made of their music are:

A cassette of Lies

A CD of Spaghetti Incident 

One UYI live VHS 

A handful of singles

Concert wise I've seen them twice. In 2017 my ticket was bought for me, and in 2006 I bought one from a tout last minute for something like £5. 

I bought a load of posters and t-shirts years ago but doubt much of the money went directly to GnR or if if the merch was legit. 

So basically, although I've consumed a massive amount of GnR stuff since 1989, the amount of money I've given them is very little - not intentionally, it's just the pattern of spending that's emerged. 

How about you? 

Edited by Nice Boy

i got a ticket to see em in 2006 for Hammersmith, me and a mate, paid for em both, off ebay so probably crazily inflated price, only way I could get company to see a bunch of 'greasy metallers', we banged out a bottle or two of JD on the way there, he ended up puking in the toilets during Avenged Sevenfold and fucking off home, probably purchased Appetite at least a couple of times in my life, it being an album I've listened to multiple times, Illusions I have purchased both at very least once, a t shirt or two maybe, a bootleg DVD from ebay of Rio 2002...thats probably about it.  Probably chicken-feed compared to a lot of you psycho cunts with Axls autograph tattooed across your cobblers.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

If we are including only the official and money going directly into GN'R's pocket, six or so albums, six VHS/DVDs and a handful of t-shirts over the years cannot exceed £130, and I saw Newgnr twice (£60 tickets or thereabouts) so that would have come to about £120, so let's say: £250. The situation however becomes more complicated when you factor in vinyl and other things purchased from the secondary market, and then there is bootlegs and other unofficial stuff. 

I probably funded one bleep on Chinese Democracy

Edited by DieselDaisy

bought all the albums except GH, bought welcome to the videos on VHS, bought non- golden ring ticket in 2012 not knowing how far it was from the stage so in 2017 bought a golden ring ticket which I paid about 220$ for, 6 months in advance but couldn't attend the show. Sucks cause Gn'R doesn't come to my country very often so I've never attended a Guns show with Slash n' Duff. Maybe next time.

I've bought their albums (except Live Era and Greatest Hits) and two concert tickets in 1993 and NuGnR in 2006 (the only two times they ever played in my country, that is). Also Slash's, Duff's and Steven's books, if those count. Never bought any merch (I don't buy merch from bands in general).

That's all from 1988 till now.

Edited by Blackstar

Oh jeez.... Entirely too much to actual total up. 

Just off the top of my head:

Every album they've released, on several formats. Including the (heavily discounted) L&L set. 

Concert tickets in 1991, 92, 93, 02, 06, 11, 12, 14 & 16, sometimes multiple shows per year. 

At least one shirt at almost every show. Hockey & baseball jerseys at the, 06 shows. 

Nightrain memberships for a couple of years back when it launched. 

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting, but the stuff I already listed is a total of more than I cared to admit spending on GN'R lol

Toooooo much! Definitely cutting back in the future. Probably 20 shirts, multiple versions of all the cds,albums,tapes, and books/biographies. 

Since 2016 I have seen 6 shows of NITLT two tickets for 3 of the shows. Got a lithograph and shirt at each one too. 

Can’t forget my Nightrain membership from 2015 to 2019

This isn’t even counting the SMKC and Duff shows 😂  There is probably more but I have embarrassed myself enough already.

I am done for quite a while now though. My wife is making sure of that 😂 ....unless I can find an unopened L&L for about $250.

Edited by Tourettes2400

22 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh jeez.... Entirely too much to actual total up. 

Just off the top of my head:

Every album they've released, on several formats. Including the (heavily discounted) L&L set. 

Concert tickets in 1991, 92, 93, 02, 06, 11, 12, 14 & 16, sometimes multiple shows per year. 

At least one shirt at almost every show. Hockey & baseball jerseys at the, 06 shows. 

Nightrain memberships for a couple of years back when it launched. 

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting, but the stuff I already listed is a total of more than I cared to admit spending on GN'R lol

What shows you go to in the 90s Russ? 

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

91 - Toledo Speedway 

92 - Pontiac Silverdome

93 - Palace of Auburn Hills

No shit, this may be a weird question to ask but I'm guessing your from either southern MI or Northern Ohio. I'm from Midwest MI, and honestly thought huge GNR fans were "rare" out here lol. 

6 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

No shit, this may be a weird question to ask but I'm guessing your from either southern MI or Northern Ohio. I'm from Midwest MI, and honestly thought huge GNR fans were "rare" out here lol. 

I'm from the Detroit area, about 20 minutes northwest of the city. There's actually 3 or 4 of us on here from the same area-ish.

I have people over to my house to spin records every Friday and there's 1 or 2 forum members who come by regularly :)

• Like 1

NITL ticket.

I've bought all the studio albums and Live Era, new.

I own lots of their stuff across up to three formats and while I bought vinyl and cassettes used, the resale value of their stuff has got to in some way be reflected in the monies that they do make?? Like do used record stores give RCAA/album charts/Royalties feedback?

One t shirt. Wouldn't have bought it out side of peer pressure. Also been gifted a bunch of merch that I gave away.

I accidentally used an Audible monthly credit to purchase Slashs memoir in German (a language I don't speak) :lol:

Quite a bit now that I think about it, but definitely not close to some of the fans who have been to every show on NITL.

It's probably less than $2-3k altogether which isn't too bad considering I've been a fan for 20 years or so :) The majority of the expense has definitely been gig tickets.

Probably spent a few hundred quid on Izzys solo albums too as back in the good old days ya had to pay £30 to get the CD imported from Japan <_<

All studio albums, tickets for 5 NITL shows + a lithograph for one of those shows and a shirt for one of those shows, Slash, Duff, and Steven's books, and a few t-shirts from local clothing stores.  

And yet...I'd happily spend a little more on some new music. ;)

Edited by GNRfanJen

Six tickets since 2006 to 2017, six lithographs, three tour shirts, probably $2500 AUD

100% of my gnr music and merch was from used record stores etc so probably another $500 AUD on various t shirts, cds, singles, records, vhs tapes, bootlegs.

pretty much lost it all over the past 25 years. But held onto this wooden picture since 1995 or so.

image.jpg

23 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Six tickets since 2006 to 2017, six lithographs, three tour shirts, probably $2500 AUD

100% of my gnr music and merch was from used record stores etc so probably another $500 AUD on various t shirts, cds, singles, records, vhs tapes, bootlegs.

pretty much lost it all over the past 25 years. But held onto this wooden picture since 1995 or so.

image.jpg

Very cool, what's the story with the guitar on the wall?

Way more than I should’ve.

every album on every format. Some a few copies of

174 shirts, not all are official, some are bootlegs

seen them 19 times

10 lithographs 

LN’L box set the day it went on sale (should’ve listened to Russ lol)

all kinds of misc stuff.

im a 100% total sucker for GNR 

in my defense, when I was a teenager in the 90’s GNR stuff was hard to come by, now that it’s easily accessible and I have a little bit more money, I’m making up for lost time lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

in my defense, when I was a teenager in the 90’s GNR stuff was hard to come by, now that it’s easily accessible and I have a little bit more money, I’m making up for lost time lol

Totally agree, I remember gnr merch being really hard to come by in the mid to late 90s, in Australia anyway. Probably the reason why all of my gnr stuff back then was second hand or I just wasn’t looking in the right places.

Edited by megaguns1982