What if GNR never split up and released 5 or 6 albums ?

I thought this would be an interesting thread since all I read is how negative everyone feels about the lack of new music.

Let just say the AFD 5 never broke up.  Lets say they released 5, 6 or 7 more albums worth of content.  What if they always did interviews ?  What if Axl never started a riot and was as nice and punctual as a Dave Grohl?  What do you think their status as a band is now ?

If you really start to think about it, they might have fallen into a slightly above average Hard Rock band that has about 4 albums too much.  I doubt they would have the legendary status they have now.  The mystique they have would be gone.

This argument is entirely  speculative, and yes, at this point, I am really praying for a new album, but, I am glad they don't have so much material out there.  I just don't think they could have pulled off one of the highest grossing tours in history like they just did.  Lets even look at this forum.  Its a GNR forum.  That means people came here, signed up to talk about and read about GNR.  And yet 90 % ish of all posts or threads are so negative, criticizing them, their management, their repetitive set lists, lack of music and so on.  Is there another band in any genre that this is the norm on a forum that is dedicated to them ? ( if there is , I wouldn't know as this is the only forum I read or belong too )  Even someone like me.  I listen to every kind of genre of music.  Hard Rock being the least though of the others.  And I am fascinated with these guys.  So much so I spent a small fortune to be at the first show in Vegas.  If I wasn't out of the country the week before, I would have finagled a way into the Troubadour show.  I had no tickets and finagled my way into the Apollo show in NYC.   So I am happy to say, I love the history of these maniacs.  The backstories.  The Chi-Dem saga that should probably get a Netflix series just on that.  The breakups, that semi reunion.  Its like a train wreck , but the train keeps going. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Dcrazed212 said:

I thought this would be an interesting thread since all I read is how negative everyone feels about the lack of new music.

Let just say the AFD 5 never broke up.  Lets say they released 5, 6 or 7 more albums worth of content.  What if they always did interviews ?  What if Axl never started a riot and was as nice and punctual as a Dave Grohl?  What do you think their status as a band is now ?

If you really start to think about it, they might have fallen into a slightly above average Hard Rock band that has about 4 albums too much.  I doubt they would have the legendary status they have now.  The mystique they have would be gone.

This argument is entirely  speculative, and yes, at this point, I am really praying for a new album, but, I am glad they don't have so much material out there.  I just don't think they could have pulled off one of the highest grossing tours in history like they just did.  Lets even look at this forum.  Its a GNR forum.  That means people came here, signed up to talk about and read about GNR.  And yet 90 % ish of all posts or threads are so negative, criticizing them, their management, their repetitive set lists, lack of music and so on.  Is there another band in any genre that this is the norm on a forum that is dedicated to them ? ( if there is , I wouldn't know as this is the only forum I read or belong too )  Even someone like me.  I listen to every kind of genre of music.  Hard Rock being the least though of the others.  And I am fascinated with these guys.  So much so I spent a small fortune to be at the first show in Vegas.  If I wasn't out of the country the week before, I would have finagled a way into the Troubadour show.  I had no tickets and finagled my way into the Apollo show in NYC.   So I am happy to say, I love the history of these maniacs.  The backstories.  The Chi-Dem saga that should probably get a Netflix series just on that.  The breakups, that semi reunion.  Its like a train wreck , but the train keeps going. 

I miss the original lineup. Illusions really brought me through shit and taught me who I was and what I could be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Dcrazed212 said:

I like your point about mystique in a world that it's all but gone.  Social media and perceived self importance has destroyed it.  But it's also almost impossible to maintain if you have any level of success and longevity. All the mystique surrounding people like Morrison or Cobain probably wouldn't be there if they had lived. Btw, how did you manage to finagle your way into the Apollo show?😄

Edited by lame ass security

3 hours ago, Tomek1985 said:

Same as if Axl changed his name to Bon Jovi.

Thats not SO bad actually, if you have an open mind, theres always something to enjoy on a Bon Jovi album. Have they survived to release five great hard rock albuns and turned into something close to what Bon Jovi did in the 90s and 00s Id be totally fine.

oh, theres also Aerosmith that did great pop rock stuff in the 90s and 00s, always with a hard rock gem between all the I dont wanna miss a things.

Edited by default_
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Dcrazed212 said:

I vehemently disagree. GNR came out of the Sunset Strip and put all the cheesy hair metal acts to bed. They were unequivocally the biggest rock band in the world during the Illusions tour. Had they continued to put out records, I see their trajectory as being extremely similar to a band like Metallica. GNR mid-to-late '90s would be accused of "selling out" or "changing with the times" due to Axl's want and desire to expand the sound of the band. Just as Metallica was accused of "selling out" for experimenting with the sound they were known for.

But today? They'd still sell out stadiums just as they do now. Just like Metallica does. Just like Pearl Jam does. The only different is GNR would be more highly regarded by the slew of haters who consider them "overrated" for only having "a couple big hits."

4 hours ago, Murielweathers@gmail.com said:

I miss the original lineup. Illusions really brought me through shit and taught me who I was and what I could be. 

Wait, what? The Illusions lineup wasn't the original lineup. And I am assuming by original you are talking about the "classic" or "AfD" lineup.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3

You can deal with what ifs, but what ifs are not facts nor reality. This band was built on an explosive attitude. They told the world: "f u we are doing it our way and don't block our path".  It's that attitude that made me a hardcore fan besides the music. The attitude is  also part of their mystique.  There was going to be an internal struggle as a result of that attitude. Given their individual backgrounds, they just couldn't find a way to resolve the issues that came up. It wasn't meant to be for all 5 of them to be in a band together for the long haul. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

But today? They'd still sell out stadiums just as they do now. Just like Metallica does. Just like Pearl Jam does. The only different is GNR would be more highly regarded by the slew of haters who consider them "overrated" for only having "a couple big hits."

Interesting point.  I think GNR is a little more epic then Metallica, and there are a couple of Metallica Albums that didnt meet standards. IMO

Edited by Dcrazed212
spelling

38 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I vehemently disagree. GNR came out of the Sunset Strip and put all the cheesy hair metal acts to bed. They were unequivocally the biggest rock band in the world during the Illusions tour. Had they continued to put out records, I see their trajectory as being extremely similar to a band like Metallica. GNR mid-to-late '90s would be accused of "selling out" or "changing with the times" due to Axl's want and desire to expand the sound of the band. Just as Metallica was accused of "selling out" for experimenting with the sound they were known for.

Wait, what? The Illusions lineup wasn't the original lineup. And I am assuming by original you are talking about the "classic" or "AfD" lineup.

The AFD lineup. The first Guns records I ever had were the Illusions. I listened to Appetite for the first time back in September of last year.

• Like 1

IF they had not gone overboard in drugs....which leads to IF they had not gone crazy esp. Axl ....which leads to Izzy not leaving because he had to be clean and sober and Axl was crszy controling which leads to IF Steven had not gone the most crazy in drugs, the original 5 would have put out 6 albums over these 30 , 35 years , maybe 7, their audience would have stayed with them. You market your audience to buy your product. Nirvana esp.  had no effect  on BonJovi or Def Leppard, for example. They just continued for their audience. GnR was a good real, rock band. Not of  syrupy ballads,  but  , yet SC was their ballad , yet it was not syrupy. Hard rock, but not screaming. But Breakdown , I think had this country beginning. But GnR was loud, rude, heart pumping, but songs had words you could hear that made sense. They played with diff looks and hair and stuff early on but that L.A band  look was not them.They did not wear make up. Their hair was not even that long- Izzy and Duff. It was not big hair. Five low lifes of then , had something special. 

Edited by Amaya

I doubt they could have kept releasing decent albums, I think the tank was empty by 1993 anyway and breaking up afforded them a great opportunity to make some huge money 20 years later with the semi reunion.  Probably way more than they would have made if they’d stayed together back then.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Axl's voice, Slash's tone and Matt's drumming sound fucking awesome on The Spaghetti Incident and Sympathy For The Devil, and it would've been great to hear an album from them in the mid-late 90's. We probably still would've ended up getting songs similar to Oh My God, Hardschool, Perhpaps, State of Grace, etc. and some of the Snakepit material too.

• Like 3