RIP Neil Peart

soon

Rush drummer and lyricist, dead at 67

Drummer died in Santa Monica, Calif., earlier this week

The influential musician and lyricist died Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., after having been diagnosed with brain cancer, according to a statement issued Friday by family spokesperson Elliot Mintz.

His death was confirmed by Meg Symsyk, a media spokesperson for the progressive rock trio comprising Peart, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Unbelievable - this is like so shocking that I don't think I fully have comprehended it

Saw Rush 5 times, and each time was just such a joyful experience.  It is so sad to lose one of the all time greats, RIP Neil

Same here in the shock and how many times I saw Rush :(

• Like 1

OMG! I can't believe this! He had brain cancer. How unfair is this?

Neil retired from Rush to spend more time with his wife and younger kids and this happens.

The man lost his wife and daughter years ago and came back from that. How much heartache can one family endure?

RIP Neil. He was a genius on the drums and a great song writer. Rush is a one of a kind band. He will be missed by the rock world and all his fans.

I'm in shock as well. I can't believe it.

I can't stand losing all these amazing rock stars. 67 years old in this day and age isn't very old anymore. 

My grandmother had lung and brain cancer. It's not an easy way to die.

I hope Neil is at peace now and had some wonderful times with his family.

I know Geddy and Alex are feeling the pain.

one of the last shows my mom and I saw with my uncle was Rush at Jones Beach in Long Island NY. We saw them again here in Texas. What an amazing show! Rush always delivered live.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Unbelievable - this is like so shocking that I don't think I fully have comprehended it

Saw Rush 5 times, and each time was just such a joyful experience.  It is so sad to lose one of the all time greats, RIP Neil

Same here - I’ve literally just like...been in a trance at work since I read the news. I’ve barely come to accept that Rush is no more and they played their last gig 4 and a half years ago, I was not expecting any of them to pass away anytime remotely soon. 

I was fortunate enough to see Rush 16 times - they are one of my absolute favorite bands ever. Of course Neil is a massive part of that - he’s probably my favorite lyricist ever and certainly my favorite drummer ever. There is no other drummer that I know their work as inside-and-out as I do with Neil; I have every groove and damn well near every lick more or less ingrained in my head. I could go on about Neil’s style literally all day - he’s the drummer that really opened my eyes to the fact that the drums could be more than a time-keeping method for bands and that a drummer could actually be as involved and at the forefront as a guitarist for example. 

RIP Neil :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not a Rush fan by any means (they’re either a love or hate kind of band, even in Canada), but there’s no denying Peart one was one of the best to ever play the drums. Very surprising to hear the news. 

This is a pretty big loss for fans and non-fans alike. 

Oh no, not really a Rush fan but I loved his books.  Real down to earth guy.  He'd get off stage, get on his bus, wake up and ride his motorcycle to the next show.  The books of the things he did are amazing.  I was just checking his website the other day for anything new from him.  Really going to miss him.

He died.  Brain cancer.                                                 He lost his first and daughter in an accident.  Now this for his second wife, family. He got another chance at life.    Why does it seem some people have.....just hard won things, but tough luck.  Better news. Great drummer of great band. Great he lived to be in RRHofF. Great Rush did a great farewell tour. HBO or one of those cable stations had a great show, documentary on them with them on Farewell Tour.

Edited by Amaya
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think it’s also important to mention that this guy had a LOT of integrity. Always stuck to his guns, and didn’t care what anyone else thought!

I agree. Just still can't wrap my head around this. It just sucks big time. My sympathies go out to his family and Geddy and Alex. Just so damn sad.

• Like 1