RIP Neil Peart

soon

I'm still kind of freaking out from the book readers perspective.  No more stories about the drummer, Mr Coffee and the drug dealer.  Nics I have for them, Neil, Michael and Brutus.  So much more going on in this guy's life then just being in a popular rock band.  Wonder if he ever got that missing saddle bag back?  Nobody deserves the traggies he faced in life and everybody deserves the life he had.

I'm broken up by this news. I immediately thought of his family and hoped that they were at least able to enjoy their time together beyond Neil's retirement. I had no idea he even had brain cancer.

Rush is my favourite band. Like @Powerage5 said, Neil's playing just gets into your head. Even if you only listen to him once, you'll remember so much about his distinct style. He's impossible to forget. The entire band is like that, really. But there are times where I will just listen to Rush and pick out many individual parts, and realize just how exciting they still are. They're exhilarating beyond measure. And then when you listen to the lyrics, it's the exact same impact. To have an artist make such a significant impact both instrumentally and lyrically, and have both aspects synthesize so organically together, is something truly special.

Neil was a force. He'll always be inspirational to me for a variety of reasons, especially considering his willingness to continue with the band after multiple tragic circumstances in his life. It's sad to have to accept that one of the three from the band are now gone, but he's left behind such a legacy, and I know I'll never tire of hearing his performances and songwriting for as long as I live.

R.I.P. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I would harbor a guess that Rush wouldn't be your cup of tea. But you should absolutely give them a shot.

Agree. Rush is one rock band that does one hell of a live show. Peart's drum kit was like no other. I can't imagine not seeing him in Rush anymore. 

Just still so sad to me about his death. it's just not fair.

Just read about Sully Erna from Godsmack talking about Neil Peart. They were friends for years and he saw him before he died. I know Sully was a huge fan and had read Neil's books which helped him in his own life.

I lost my grandma and a good friend to brain cancer. It's not an easy way to die. I honestly feel if you know you are dying you should be able to decide how you want to go and not prolong your suffering. This might be wrong, but after seeing my grandma suffer and my friend, I don't why this has to be?