On This Day - January 19th 1994.- Axl’s last public appearance until 1998

4 hours ago, Original said:

Remember the corn row hair and shit.  He’d be destroyed by the left wing for that these days.  And the XL Jerseys LOL.  

I wondered if axl had a stylist dress him for the 99 first public appearance or if the whole look was his idea.

• Confused 1

“While appearing at the 1994 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where Rose was presenting Elton John with an award, an earthquake was unfolding in Los Angeles which would significantly affect the rest of the evening. Organisers had pre-arranged for Rod Stewart and Elton John to perform ‘Come Together’ in tribute to John Lennon who was being posthumously inducted as a solo artist. However, the aforementioned earthquake had disrupted Stewart’s travel to the event in New York which left organisers scrambling for a solution. 

Heading into the crowd to try and recruit a big name for an impromptu rendition of a Beatles classic, the lyrics were repeatedly placed in front of Springsteen who, quite emphatically, refused multiple times. Accepting defeat, organisers moved across to the next table and asked Axl Rose if he would step up. Rose, armed with his words of persuasion, headed back over to The Boss and managed to persuade him to join him on stage. 

Then it happened, the most unlikely of collaborations, Bruce Springsteen and Axl Rose walking from the crowd and into the bright lights to perform a tribute to John Lennon with absolutely zero practice or rehearsals” 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/axl-rose-bruce-springsteen-the-beatles-come-together/

Even though the piece is negative, Kudos to Axl. Took a risk on a big stage there as a musician. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

“While appearing at the 1994 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where Rose was presenting Elton John with an award, an earthquake was unfolding in Los Angeles which would significantly affect the rest of the evening. Organisers had pre-arranged for Rod Stewart and Elton John to perform ‘Come Together’ in tribute to John Lennon who was being posthumously inducted as a solo artist. However, the aforementioned earthquake had disrupted Stewart’s travel to the event in New York which left organisers scrambling for a solution. 

Heading into the crowd to try and recruit a big name for an impromptu rendition of a Beatles classic, the lyrics were repeatedly placed in front of Springsteen who, quite emphatically, refused multiple times. Accepting defeat, organisers moved across to the next table and asked Axl Rose if he would step up. Rose, armed with his words of persuasion, headed back over to The Boss and managed to persuade him to join him on stage. 

Then it happened, the most unlikely of collaborations, Bruce Springsteen and Axl Rose walking from the crowd and into the bright lights to perform a tribute to John Lennon with absolutely zero practice or rehearsals” 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/axl-rose-bruce-springsteen-the-beatles-come-together/

Even though the piece is negative, Kudos to Axl. Took a risk on a big stage there as a musician. 

That guy was insinuating that Axl didn't perform in public for another six years because of this performance.  I'm hoping that he was being sarcastic.

39 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

That guy was insinuating that Axl didn't perform in public for another six years because of this performance.  I'm hoping that he was being sarcastic.

Like I said the tone of the piece overall was negative, but it’s still a cool story of they came to cover the tune on the night. 

You also may have confused Sarcasm, with just a plain old arsehole. Writers a douche. 

• Like 1

He had a hard few years ahead of him by that point with the things that collapsed around him. He reappeared with a chip on his shoulder and seemed to be motivated to showcase his talent by releasing several albums with that incarnation of Guns N' Roses. 

It didn't happen, but even the fact that he was able to overcome the obstacles that came his way around that time to get to the point of being able to perform in a live setting again is incredible. Fair fucks to him.

01/01/01 is one of the best shows vocally he ever did and is night and day in comparison with those duets with Springsteen. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dean said:

He had a hard few years ahead of him by that point with the things that collapsed around him. He reappeared with a chip on his shoulder and seemed to be motivated to showcase his talent by releasing several albums with that incarnation of Guns N' Roses. 

It didn't happen, but even the fact that he was able to overcome the obstacles that came his way around that time to get to the point of being able to perform in a live setting again is incredible. Fair fucks to him.

01/01/01 is one of the best shows vocally he ever did and is night and day in comparison with those duets with Springsteen. 

I will never understand how his appearance could change from the one in the video to the one in your avatar in only 5-6 years. It's been debated many times - and who tf cares - but it always piques my curiosity because of the short time span

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dean said:

You really think hes voice is great at that show? It's terrible if you compare to how he sound on the duet with Springsteen in my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

I will never understand how his appearance could change from the one in the video to the one in your avatar in only 5-6 years. It's been debated many times - and who tf cares - but it always piques my curiosity because of the short time span

me too. :( I tried to analyze everything, every details on his face and I still don't know what happened. it was a big leap in his apperance. The most visible was the lack of eyebrows in the mentioned avatar. Even his smile was different.

15 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

He clearly had some work done between the mugshot in 98 and that TV interview he did in 99 (I think?), no idea why but then he's no stranger to doing bizarre things. 

15 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

I always thought the same but now that I am 38 I understand how much you can change from 32 to 38 as Axl did.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

I used to think the biggest change was from December 2001 to 2002. Watching that HOB show he still looks like Axl, just clean shaven and darker hair. 

4 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

You really think hes voice is great at that show? It's terrible if you compare to how he sound on the duet with Springsteen in my opinion. 

I think Chinese Democracy showcases Axl at the very top of his game, so it's only natural that I'd be a big fan of his voice here. I hate GNR's version of Live and Let Die, but that version from the House of Blues blows everything else, including McCartney's, out of the water IMO. 

Haven't watched that in a long time - that was brilliant, thanks for posting.

Axl singing in a subdued manner is very interesting knowing what he is capable of. Obviously has to sing the song the way it is, and does a fine job in my opinion. Very basic and raw. I wish that new Guns' songs or future album would follow this recipe. Stripped down. Organic. Basic. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I always thought the same but now that I am 38 I understand how much you can change from 32 to 38 as Axl did.

But in deans avatar its like axl has had a facelift. The photo in 96 where he has the beard his face looks nothing like the 99 axl. Im betting the facelift , if he had one must have been sometime late 98 maybe......

12 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Axl needs to have a chat with Bruce now, he’s fit as a fiddle and is like 15years older than Axl.

A couple years ago after Bruce finished some mammoth 2.5 year tour with a show at Rock In Rio he was on the beach running first thing next morning. Axl can't even be arsed to work off his plump BEFORE a tour. But he still has a friggin tent backstage full of gym equipment XD