Infectious Groove Podcast - New Episode Every Monday

RussTCB

Episode 5 is out now! We're talking new music and how to find it. 

You can find us on anchor.fm/infectiousgroovepodcast or on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Pocket Casts, CastBox, Radio Public, Podcast Addict, Stitcher and pretty much everywhere you listen to podcasts :)

Great episode! Cool theme and lots of good points made. You're not wrong to insist about Portishead :headbang:

I listened while imbibing copious amounts of coffee and half heartedly going through emails. So I got excited thinking about how new music comes into my life. Its a real blessing and theres been lots of new good stuff in the last year! So, not that anyone asked but I listed how I get new music and shared vids for a few of em,

Spoiler

Mygnr gave me my newest 'new song!' Just last night Rattle Snake by King Lizard and the Wizard Gizzards popped up on YouTube and I loved it! Someone on here had previously introduced me to their other track Planet B, which is also killer. Really wish I could remember who it was, so I could thank them! Theres lots of great stuff posted in the Listening thread, too! I first heard Ghosts' Dance Macabre on here and I listened to that on repeat for like a month. 

CBC Radio One. A majority of new artists/songs/albums come to me via CBC terrestrial radio. Most of them from a popular arts and culture program called "Q" (Grimes, Dawes, Tanya Taqaq, Isk'we and current fav Jenn Grant). And another fun show that plays live concert recordings called "Canada Live" (William Prince). Also on CBC TV, every year I see artists that are new to me perform at the Juno Awards show (Daniel Caesar, Arkells, Jerry Cans)

Spoiler

Daniel Caesar at the Junos,

Jenn Grant,

Also, attending festivals/celebrations introduced me to some great stuff! (La Bottine Souriant, Bret Kissel), 

Spoiler

My home town throws decent parties and I learn new artists that way,

Going to the free noon hour concerts at local festivals has introduced me to two absolute favourites, both are local themselves! (Julie Corrigan, MDA Quartet). Julie Corrigan is a great, rootsy, country singer and I think she'll be huge when she gets an album out,

Spoiler

The local scene turns me onto other great artists as well (A Tribe Called Red, Monkey Junk, Ed Listers many funk jazz bands)

Record Store clerks for sure, as mentioned in the pod. Got some favourites from there (Porest, John Hiatt). But more recently I've had two consecutive shitty experiences with record store clerks. One didnt know a really popular, Juno Award winning folk singer (Amelia Curran). And worse yet, they also weren't curious to learn. And another time I went to buy Bash and Pop and the dude didnt know them. So I said, "It's probably in your Tommy or Replacements category?" Still nothing clicked!!?? He typed something into the computer and announced that "Bash and Pop does not exist." :facepalm::lol: Have not returned to that shop!!

And finally, it's really fun in the Jam Band scene because once you know just one musician, you can follow them through various bands and live jamming with everyone else in the community! Like if you get into the Allman Bros you will soon be introduced to the awesome Tedeski Trucks Band. Victor Wooten is great to follow to learn about new artists too.

Edited by soon
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, soon said:

Great episode! Cool theme and lots of good points made. You're not wrong to insist about Portishead :headbang:

I listened while imbibing copious amounts of coffee and half heartedly going through emails. So I got excited thinking about how new music comes into my life. Its a real blessing and theres been lots of new good stuff in the last year! So, not that anyone asked but I listed how I get new music and shared vids for a few of em,

Reveal hidden contents

Mygnr gave me my newest 'new song!' Just last night Rattle Snake by King Lizard and the Wizard Gizzards popped up on YouTube and I loved it! Someone on here had previously introduced me to their other track Planet B, which is also killer. Really wish I could remember who it was, so I could thank them! Theres lots of great stuff posted in the Listening thread, too! I first heard Ghosts' Dance Macabre on here and I listened to that on repeat for like a month. 

CBC Radio One. A majority of new artists/songs/albums come to me via CBC terrestrial radio. Most of them from a popular arts and culture program called "Q" (Grimes, Dawes, Tanya Taqaq, Isk'we and current fav Jenn Grant). And another fun show that plays live concert recordings called "Canada Live" (William Prince). Also on CBC TV, every year I see artists that are new to me perform at the Juno Awards show (Daniel Caesar, Arkells, Jerry Cans)

Reveal hidden contents

Daniel Caesar at the Junos,

Jenn Grant,

Also, attending festivals/celebrations introduced me to some great stuff! (La Bottine Souriant, Bret Kissel), 

Reveal hidden contents

My home town throws decent parties and I learn new artists that way,

Going to the free noon hour concerts at local festivals has introduced me to two absolute favourites, both are local themselves! (Julie Corrigan, MDA Quartet). Julie Corrigan is a great, rootsy, country singer and I think she'll be huge when she gets an album out,

Reveal hidden contents

The local scene turns me onto other great artists as well (A Tribe Called Red, Monkey Junk, Ed Listers many funk jazz bands)

Record Store clerks for sure, as mentioned in the pod. Got some favourites from there (Porest, John Hiatt). But more recently I've had two consecutive shitty experiences with record store clerks. One didnt know a really popular, Juno Award winning folk singer (Amelia Curran). And worse yet, they also weren't curious to learn. And another time I went to buy Bash and Pop and the dude didnt know them. So I said, "It's probably in your Tommy or Replacements category?" Still nothing clicked!!?? He typed something into the computer and announced that "Bash and Pop does not exist." :facepalm::lol: Have not returned to that shop!!

And finally, it's really fun in the Jam Band scene because once you know just one musician, you can follow them through various bands and live jamming with everyone else in the community! Like if you get into the Allman Bros you will soon be introduced to the awesome Tedeski Trucks Band. Victor Wooten is great to follow to learn about new artists too.

Those are some GREAT suggestions!! I'm not sure if you're on Facebook or Instagram, but if you are, by all means find and like our pages. Your answers are EXACTLY the type of interaction we're hoping to get going on our pages :)

Also, if you do that, you can #TellMichelleWhatToDo :lol:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Those are some GREAT suggestions!! I'm not sure if you're on Facebook or Instagram, but if you are, by all means find and like our pages. Your answers are EXACTLY the type of interaction we're hoping to get going on our pages :)

Also, if you do that, you can #TellMichelleWhatToDo :lol:

Cool man - glad you dig them! I don't have those socials. Sounds like it will be a really fun conversation. So everyone get over there and share your answers and suggestions!!

It was cool to take the time to reflect on how artists come into my life. Thanks for starting the conversation!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Cool man - glad you dig them! I don't have those socials. Sounds like it will be a really fun conversation. So everyone get over there and share your answers and suggestions!!

It was cool to take the time to reflect on how artists come into my life. Thanks for starting the conversation!

I hear ya on not having socials. Please by all means continue to share feedback and comments through here then. I love the discussion. 

Right on! I realized I forgot to mention that I learned of a great band through your pod. The Lone Bellow is fantastic!! I also sometimes find new music through Rolling Stone Music Now. It was only after listening to an ep that I finally gave Elish a fair shake. And while plenty of her stuff is not my cup of tea, I love this performance on SNL,

• Like 1

Episode 6 is out now and it's titled "A Rose By Any Other Name" 

We're talking about "When a band isn't a band anymore", so needless to say GNR comes up a lot lol. 

Just search for "Infectious Groove Podcast" on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, iheartradio, Pocket Casts, CastBox, Podcast Addict, Stitcher or wherever you listen to your podcasts and you'll find us. 

14 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Just listened to ep.6, good topic.  You talked about the rebranding thing, I think some people wanted Axl to do that but he did not want to go in that direction. Just curious, how much younger are Kyle and Michelle?😄  They sometimes seem a bit lost when you're talking about older bands, especially Michelle.

They're both about 9 years younger, so just enough to cause that divide lol. 

Episode 7 is out now btw. Talking about the Parental Advisory sticker issue. 

• Like 1

Another great episode. The Legion of Decency?!? :wow: Band name, called it! 

I never realized until this episode just how perfect of a 'radio voice' Kyle has. All of you do. He sounds identical to one of the people on my local classic rock station, in fact.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Another great episode. The Legion of Decency?!? :wow: Band name, called it! 

I never realized until this episode just how perfect of a 'radio voice' Kyle has. All of you do. He sounds identical to one of the people on my local classic rock station, in fact.

I was literally stunned when I was researching and came across that "Legion of Decency" thing lol. 

Yeah, all 3 of us keep getting told we've got great voices for radio. It's funny, that would have never crossed any of our minds, but we keep hearing that feedback. We'll take it lol

• GNFNR 1

Episode 8 is available now, but for some reason it hasn't distributed to all of the usual platforms. Sorry about the delay! You can listen at this link for now, but hopefully it'll show up everywhere else very soon:

https://anchor.fm/infectiousgroovepodcast/episodes/Castaway-Three-Play-ebbmjl

Sorry again!!

Edit- we're up on Spotify now with other platforms to (hopefully) follow soon! 

Yo - did I hear Kyle making a Letterkenny reference in 8??!! I forget the specific reference, was maybe "to be fair."

If so I approve very much! And thats along with a Mulaney reference by you on an earlier episode. These are the things I am here for :headbang:

(Made it until Kyles picks. Will wait for the other platforms to finish. Great episode thus far)

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, soon said:

Yo - did I hear Kyle making a Letterkenny reference in 8??!! I forget the specific reference, was maybe "to be fair."

If so I approve very much! And thats along with a Mulaney reference by you on an earlier episode. These are the things I am here for :headbang:

(Made it until Kyles picks. Will wait for the other platforms to finish. Great episode thus far)

Kyle accidentally said "to be fair", so Michelle and I immediately hit him with "a-to-be-faiiiiiiir", so yep, that's a Letterkenny reference! Haha. 

The episode is up on Spotify, CastBox and Apple Podcasts at least for now. It'll be up everywhere else as the day progresses. 

• GNFNR 1

Haha, I love it that y'all watch Letterkenny! Nice. I enjoyed the second half too. Great episode.

My top three:

The Final Cut, Pink Floyd

Sound and Colour, Alabama Shakes

Stardust, Willie Nelson

Special mentions,

Live at Ronnie Scotts, Jeff Beck

Passwords, Dawes

CD

My desert island:

Greatest Hits, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 

They Promised You Mercy, Amelia Curran

Europe 72, Grateful Dead

Special mentions,

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Tiny Music, STP

Its Five O 'Clock Somewhere, Snakepit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Haha, I love it that y'all watch Letterkenny! Nice. I enjoyed the second half too. Great episode.

My top three:

The Final Cut, Pink Floyd

Sound and Colour, Alabama Shakes

Stardust, Willie Nelson

Special mentions,

Live at Ronnie Scotts, Jeff Beck

Passwords, Dawes

CD

My desert island:

Greatest Hits, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 

They Promised You Mercy, Amelia Curran

Europe 72, Grateful Dead

Special mentions,

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Tiny Music, STP

Its Five O 'Clock Somewhere, Snakepit

We're actually going to see Letterkenny Live in Detroit tonight. All of the main cast will be there to do skits from the show along with original skits that haven't been on the show. 

In any case, that's a good list you've got going there. I'm sure we'll revisit the topic again in the future and get deeper into ours too. 

I think next week's episode about covers is gonna be fun. 

• GNFNR 1

Another great one! Gonna check out some of your'alls picks. Next weeks theme sounds killer! 

Hope you had a blast at the Letterkenny show, btw. 

My favourite cover ever... Arcade Fires cover of Born On A Train from Morning Becomes Eclectic, KCRW 2005, blows my mind (its on YT for anyone interested). Im not even sure just why I am so over the moon for it. And when I first heard it, it was everything to me. Hadn't listened in a while and its brought back so much joy and memories. Which is more than welcomed today!

Spoiler

Arcade Fire - Born on a Train (by The Magnetic Fields)

Jeff Beck - all covers he's ever done. Highlights include Nadia, Superstition, Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Chet Atkins - all covers he's ever done. Highlights include Mr Sandman, Unchained Melody

Joe Pass - all covers. haha, I love chord and melody solo guitar!!!

Tonny Emmanuel - all covers, see above! But he also does a great Somewhere Over the Rainbow

John Coltrane - My Favourite Things (From Sound of Music)

Axl - Its Alright (by Black Sabbath)

Willie Nelson - Me and Bobby McGee (written by Kristofferson, first recorded by Roger Miller)

Robert Plant - Morning Dew (by Grateful Dead)

Street Heart - Here Comes the Night (Written by Bert Berns, first recorded by Them, fronted by Van Morrison)

Grateful Dead - anytime they cover Dylan, with the incredibly important caveat that Dylan is not there performing it with them!!!!! lol. Lately, I especially dig Desolation Row and Its All Over Now, Baby Blue 

All my above list is me liking the cover best. But I also love Aretha's various takes on Bridge Over Troubled Water, just not as much as Simon and Garfunkel's original take.

And I love american folk music, so all the songbook played by any of the greats - Rambling Jack, Pete Seeger, Jean Ritchie (Everyone from Rainbow Hour basically, haha). And Chumbawamba's album covering the Diggers songbook is so amazing, too! Same goes for a good hymn, performed well by anyone.

Edited by soon
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 11:44 AM, soon said:

Another great one! Gonna check out some of your'alls picks. Next weeks theme sounds killer! 

Hope you had a blast at the Letterkenny show, btw. 

My favourite cover ever... Arcade Fires cover of Born On A Train from Morning Becomes Eclectic, KCRW 2005, blows my mind (its on YT for anyone interested). Im not even sure just why I am so over the moon for it. And when I first heard it, it was everything to me. Hadn't listened in a while and its brought back so much joy and memories. Which is more than welcomed today!

Reveal hidden contents

Arcade Fire - Born on a Train (by The Magnetic Fields)

Jeff Beck - all covers he's ever done. Highlights include Nadia, Superstition, Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Chet Atkins - all covers he's ever done. Highlights include Mr Sandman, Unchained Melody

Joe Pass - all covers. haha, I love chord and melody solo guitar!!!

Tonny Emmanuel - all covers, see above! But he also does a great Somewhere Over the Rainbow

John Coltrane - My Favourite Things (From Sound of Music)

Axl - Its Alright (by Black Sabbath)

Willie Nelson - Me and Bobby McGee (written by Kristofferson, first recorded by Roger Miller)

Robert Plant - Morning Dew (by Grateful Dead)

Street Heart - Here Comes the Night (Written by Bert Berns, first recorded by Them, fronted by Van Morrison)

Grateful Dead - anytime they cover Dylan, with the incredibly important caveat that Dylan is not there performing it with them!!!!! lol. Lately, I especially dig Desolation Row and Its All Over Now, Baby Blue 

All my above list is me liking the cover best. But I also love Aretha's various takes on Bridge Over Troubled Water, just not as much as Simon and Garfunkel's original take.

And I love american folk music, so all the songbook played by any of the greats - Rambling Jack, Pete Seeger, Jean Ritchie (Everyone from Rainbow Hour basically, haha). And Chumbawamba's album covering the Diggers songbook is so amazing, too! Same goes for a good hymn, performed well by anyone.

The Letterkenny show was GREAT. We actually ended up seeing the only show they did because of everything going on. The tour was postponed the day after our show and we were the first stop on the tour.

Gkad you had a great time with this episode and I hope next week's lives up to the hype haha.