Gn'R playing Wrigley Field (Chicago) July 27th

3 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

It is a quiet small stadium though. They could fill that one without a new album.

35-40k is still a large venue, considering they're playing arenas in the States these days. 

3 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

No, Wrigley holds just over 40k for baseball and usually caps concerts at 35k 

OK....

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120913/BLOGS04/120919859/springsteen-s-wrigley-field-concert-sets-attendance-record

HELL I just realized that is for a series.  My bad. 

Edited by tsinindy

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

If only Axl would respond to threats... :lol:

Hahaha... I didn't mean it as a threat. I totally understand that the GN'R brand will survive without my contribution. I'm just hoping that new material happens is all. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Hahaha... I didn't mean it as a threat. I totally understand that the GN'R brand will survive without my contribution. I'm just hoping that new material happens is all. 

They almost have to if they're playing stadiums. I see absolutely no way for them to fill stadiums without new material or a co- headlining tour. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I'm at the same place you're at. I haven't even seen the band since the reunion. Last time I saw Axl was in 2012 when Izzy came out and did 14 Years. I would see them if they put out a new record, but have no interest otherwise.

The annoying thing is, GNR have so many casual fans that will go ad nauseam, which is why they can get away with this shit. I know a guy who's going to the London shows, a husband of a colleague, and this'll be the third reunion show he's been to. He's going with a group of lads for a stag night and they go just to get pissed. He doesn't know or has never even heard of Chinese Democracy, nor does he give two shits about GNR ever doing a new album. A GNR show to him is an excuse to swig his beer to Paradise City, do bad karaoke to KOHD and get pissed to SCOM. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with any of that, but unfortunately, because GNR appeal to so many casual fans, they don't need the support of us diehards who actually give a shit about a little something called the music.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

They almost have to if they're playing stadiums. I see absolutely no way for them to fill stadiums without new material or a co- headlining tour. 

Not necessarily. To fill up a stadium show, people are coming out for Jungle/PC. They could actually be upset if there’s too much new material in the set list that they don’t care about.

The baseball stadium shows usually carry an extra event feeling with them. It’s a thing to do. Playing Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium etc.. will get people to attend. Hell, Aerosmith is playing Fenway again on their never ending tour, and there’s no new material probably ever again and their drummer is suing to get back in the band

Maybe there’s something new in the way, but they definitely don’t need it to play baseball venues currently. People will still show up 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Not necessarily. To fill up a stadium show, people are coming out for Jungle/PC. They could actually be upset if there’s too much new material in the set list that they don’t care about.

The baseball stadium shows usually carry an extra event feeling with them. It’s a thing to do. Playing Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium etc.. will get people to attend. Hell, Aerosmith is playing Fenway again on their never ending tour, and there’s no new material probably ever gain and their drummer is suing to get back in the band

Maybe there’s something new in the way, but they definitely don’t need it to play baseball venues currently. People will still show up 

Even when Aerosmith did put out a record in 2012/13, they only ever played 1-2 songs from it in their live sets and swiftly dropped the songs from the setlists after a year or so.

Edited by Towelie

14 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

GNR history shows us that it'll have to be a co headliner that fills the stadiums, not new music lol. 

9 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, I'm at the same place you're at. I haven't even seen the band since the reunion. Last time I saw Axl was in 2012 when Izzy came out and did 14 Years. I would see them if they put out a new record, but have no interest otherwise.

The annoying thing is, GNR have so many casual fans that will go ad nauseam, which is why they can get away with this shit. I know a guy who's going to the London shows, a husband of a colleague, and this'll be the third reunion show he's been to. He's going with a group of lads for a stag night and they go just to get pissed. He doesn't know or has never even heard of Chinese Democracy, nor does he give two shits about GNR ever doing a new album. A GNR show to him is an excuse to swig his beer to Paradise City, do bad karaoke to KOHD and get pissed to SCOM. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with any of that, but unfortunately, because GNR appeal to so many casual fans, they don't need the support of us diehards who actually give a shit about a little something called the music.

And that's the thing: GNR as a brand is in full Eagles or Stones mode. They're just looking to run on the fumes of the past. At least the Stones have put out some new albums. Hell, I think even the Eagles have put out more new music than GNR.

In any case, that's exactly what they're relying on: casual fans who will go no matter what. 

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Even when Aerosmith did put out a record in 2012/13, they only ever played 1-2 songs from it in their live sets and swiftly dropped the songs from the setlists after a year or so.

And if GNR continue to play big shows, their setlists will be similar. Especially as they get older and the shows get shorter 

28 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

If not that, then SOMETHING has to change. You can't go from not filling Arenas (I'm sure the last run sold OK, but nothing was sold out....) to doing stadiums. I've never, ever heard of a tour reaching it's 4th year suddenly UPPING the size of venues. It makes no logical sense whatsoever. 

Actually, is this is the 5th year?! I've lost track! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

As has been discussed already, but imagine how many tickets and stadiums they would sell if they had a new album to promote!

Casual fans would gravitate towards the “new music new album” slogan

Its been a long long time since remembering the last album people were fiending for. Guys, girls, older, younger, etc all talked about this new album coming out. That’s what it would be like, even in the digital age!!!