Gn'R playing Wrigley Field (Chicago) July 27th

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm sorry, you may be right, but I don't really buy that.

The buzz has gone, the tour is still rumbling on, if they couldn't fill an Arena in 2017 in a city I can't possibly see how they'd fill a stadium in the same city after even more of the buzz/demand from casuals has gone. 

People went in 2016. Less people went the next time they came to the City. Makes absolute sense. Whether 3 years has gone past or not, if it's the same tour, and the same set, it follows that less people again will want to see them the next time they play in the City. 

The 'playing a different venue' thing doesn't really hold water. If it did, why did all those people that went in 2016 not want to go the next time, when it was a different venue? 

When it’s places like Wrigley, it does....

Aerosmith is playing Fenway this year. They’ve played it before. They aren’t a stadium act any longer. However it will be an event because it’s a show at Fenway. Shows there bring people out. Will it sell out? Prob not. However it will make $.

I guarantee you GNR would sell better than Aerosmith at Fenway 

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

When it’s places like Wrigley, it does....

Aerosmith is playing Fenway this year. They’ve played it before. They aren’t a stadium act any longer. However it will be an event because it’s a show at Fenway. Shows there bring people out. Will it sell out? Prob not. However it will make $.

I guarantee you GNR would sell better than Aerosmith at Fenway 

But Aerosmith haven't been doing the same tour, same setlist, for 4/5 years.

I understand them touring is somewhat of an 'event' for their fans (I'm not an Aerosmith fan so not sure) whereas another roll-through the States from GNR with the same set simply isn't. 

Something is changing........I'm feeling optimistic here! 

31 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That was an Arena though right? So why would they go back and do a stadium? Why not an Arena again? 

I can't see why they'd think they could sell MORE tickets this far into the tour......

Sure they don't have to sell it out, but if their drawing power is nearly filling Arenas, why spend extra hiring a Stadium and having empty seats? 

Not if Live Nation are the promotors. They don't lose money as everything is done internally including ticket sales.

Thats why artists and bands tour so much in today's music industry. That's were the money is. 

Live Nation have more power and can offer more financial incentives than record labels these days, as an artist can get more of a return via profit than selling albums. 

Thats what people dont understand. 

Live Nation, the GNR booking agent and the band all receive a cut. Its a win, win situation for all. 

The record labels are the ones on the outside looking in. 

UMG don't get a cent out of the band touring and the band don't owe them anything in return. 

The days of labels offering millions of dollars on album advances has long gone. Labels know in today's music industry they will never see a return on that investment. 

Thats why the are powerless in todays music industry. 

Take Ed Sheeran. An artist who takes other peoples music, spits out a new album every 3 months and tours on the back of these albums. That the new way record labels are controlling an Artist to make money these days. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

I understand them touring is somewhat of an 'event' for their fans (I'm not an Aerosmith fan so not sure) whereas another roll-through the States from GNR with the same set simply isn't. 

Something changing? Has Axl been replaced?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There could be something, I’m not denying that. It’s just that GNR isn’t in the need for something to keep getting their fee as of yet. Promoters are still paying them. It’s up to the promoter to put them in a stadium and charge $100 or put them in an arena and charge $150, GNR gets paid roughly the same either way 

BTW Aerosmith has been playing the same thing for nearly 20 yrs. Their performances have been lackluster for a while now, and the just had a very public fallout with their drummer 

Edited by guitarpatch

Just now, kiwiguns said:

Not if Live Nation are the promotors. They don't lose money as everything is done internally including ticket sales.

Thats why bands make their money touring in today's music industry. 

Live Nation have more power and can offer more financial incentives than record labels these days, as an artist can get more of a return via profit than selling albums. 

Thanks what people dont understand. 

Live Nation, the GNR booking agent and the band all receive a cut. Its a win, win situation for all. 

The record labels are the ones on the outside looking in. 

UMG don't get a cent out of the band touring. 

No, I think people do understand that.

The financial incentive to carry on touring is obviously way higher than taking time off and spending it in a studio. Especially when you think of all the various people getting rich off a tour that don't make anything if the band are hidden away off the road. 

But that's not really the discussion- people are wondering why the apparent sudden up-size of venues in America. 

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

There could be something, I’m not denying that. It’s just that GNR isn’t in the need for something to keep getting their fee as of yet. Promoters are still paying them. It’s up to them to put them in a stadium and charge $100 or put them in an arena and charge $150, GNR gets paid roughly the same either way 

BTW Aerosmith has been playing the same thing for nearly 20 yrs. Their performances have been lackluster for a while now, and the just had a very public fallout with their drummer 

Ah, you see I'm of the view that there IS a need to do that if they want to step up the venue size. Cheaper tickets might encourage people to attend again, that's certainly true. 

I saw that stuff about the drummer- I don't follow them, so not too sure what they're up to. It certainly seems (from a UK perspective at least) that them announcing tour dates here was exciting for fans, as they don't seem to play here much. I've seen very little excitement for the latest GNR dates here really.....

14 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Ah, you see I'm of the view that there IS a need to do that if they want to step up the venue size. Cheaper tickets might encourage people to attend again, that's certainly true. 

I saw that stuff about the drummer- I don't follow them, so not too sure what they're up to. It certainly seems (from a UK perspective at least) that them announcing tour dates here was exciting for fans, as they don't seem to play here much. I've seen very little excitement for the latest GNR dates here really.....

Say GNR’s fee is $3 million per show. Live Nation can put them in any of their venues that they own/partner with in the area.  They have to pay that fee. Then after a negotiated “break even” number of tickets for Live Nation to make $ back on their fee plus expenses, GNR gets a % over that number. Then the band makes the majority of merch sales. Live Nation makes $ off their concessions 

That’s when ticket prices and venue capacity come into play. Where’s the sweet spot? What time of year is it? Is there anything else special that will give it a bump? etc..  

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s probably just a co-headlining tour with the chili peppers or something.

A Chili Peppers/GNR co headline tour, while cool, would cost too much. You’d be looking at festival level ticket prices 

I also think with John back in the fold, they’ll be looking to maximize his return. Splitting the gate makes little sense. Time to cash in 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Say GNR’s fee is $3 million per show. Live Nation can put them in any of their venues that they own/partner with in the area.  They have to pay that fee. Then after a negotiated “break even” number of tickets for Live Nation to make $ back on their fee plus expenses, GNR gets a % over that number. Then the band makes the majority of merch sales. Live Nation makes $ off their concessions 

That’s when ticket prices and venue capacity come into play. Where’s the sweet spot? What time of year is it? Is there anything else special that will give it a bump? etc..  

A Chili Peppers/GNR,  while cool, would cost too much. You’d be looking at festival type ticket prices 

I also think with John back in the fold, they’ll be looking to maximize his return. Splitting the gate makes little sense. Time to cash in 

It's that 'is there anything else special that will give it a bump' that I think is vital. I'm of the view that that is the most important thing of all here. 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's that 'is there anything else special that will give it a bump' that I think is vital. I'm of the view that that is the most important thing of all here. 

Unfortunately a new album isn’t moving the needle outside of VIP upgrades and such these days. An excuse to tour? Sure.

It could also be they may hit some US markets that they haven’t done in a while. Again, the show doesn’t need to sell out. If it’s priced right, they’ll make $ over 60 percent capacity 

Just now, guitarpatch said:

Unfortunately a new album isn’t moving the needle outside of VIP upgrades and such these days. An excuse to tour? Sure.

It could also be they may hit some US markets that they haven’t done in a while. Again, the show doesn’t need to sell out. If it’s priced right, they’ll make $ over 60 percent capacity 

I'd disagree again. A new album would give them a boost to their profile, their media exposure, and (maybe most importantly) give them a buzz again. Those are the things that shift tickets. 

I can't see any promoter being happy with a 60 per cent full stadium really. If that's what they wanted, they'd do an Arena with less overheads and fill it. The only reason bands do stadiums is in the belief they can fill them, surely. 

Just now, allwaystired said:

I'd disagree again. A new album would give them a boost to their profile, their media exposure, and (maybe most importantly) give them a buzz again. Those are the things that shift tickets. 

I can't see any promoter being happy with a 60 per cent full stadium really. If that's what they wanted, they'd do an Arena with less overheads and fill it. The only reason bands do stadiums is in the belief they can fill them, surely. 

Maybe it’s a pride thing? Like they feel like doing closed arenas during the nice summertime is “admitting defeat,” in a sense?

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

If 20k people attend a stadium show compared to 15k in an arena? Live Nation prefers the extra 5k people buying $12 beers. There’s no sense of filling the house here from them. That’s on GNR management to have that perception 

Edited by guitarpatch

All they really have to do is change the name of the tour and maybe as a courtesy/for the technicality shuffle the setlist and 99% of their audience will think they’re doing a completely new show and tour and will fork up outrageous prices again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I live in Chicago, but will hard pass on this if new music isn't announced.  No way I'm shelling out that kind of money for a show I've seen 3 times already. 

Probably would be cheaper to catch them at Miller Park than Wrigley if they are gonna do a Milwaukee date. And the plus is you get climate control. lol

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

If 20k people attend a stadium show compared to 15k in an arena? Live Nation prefers the extra 5k people buying $12 beers. There’s no sense of filling the house here from them. That’s on GNR management to have that perception 

We;ll have to just wait and see. 

I'm optimistic here. 

I'll be depressed later! 

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Probably would be cheaper to catch them at Miller Park than Wrigley if they are gonna do a Milwaukee date. And the plus is you get climate control. lol

Well, again, my lack of interest would stem from them likely doing the same set I've seen already give or take a song or two.  Decent seats at Wrigley would go for at least $300 or more.  With fees you're talking about $800 bucks for two decent tickets. 

For a tour that's just milking the market as an extension of NITL, I'm going to pass altogether. However, if this is in support of an album that, you know, exists...then I'll absolutely pay my way there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1