Gn'R playing Wrigley Field (Chicago) July 27th

2nd oldest field in MLB and I swear I heard on the radio that it was the first sporting centre with a corporate branding (wrigleys gum).

With this history it also means is that theres not a lot of parking on site. And its in the middle of a neighbourhood. You can see some parking here in this pic, but that cant even cover staff parking?? And is that a parking lot next to a McDonalds or s tht the McD's own parking?

The L's next to it, is there a huge parking garage it takes you too?

How does that work?

mqWNanH.jpg

Also, is that additional bleachers seating on the roofs of neighbouring buildings?

All the back and forth over venue size is crazy. The band can and will sell out or do 80-90% capacity in certain markets with or without a new album, yes, In stadiums. The songs themselves have carried the band for the past 32 years, not album releases. The only way a new album helps attendance is if it happens to contain some major singles, unlike Chinese Democracy.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, soon said:

2nd oldest field in MLB and I swear I heard on the radio that it was the first sporting centre with a corporate branding (wrigleys gum).

With this history it also means is that theres not a lot of parking on site. And its in the middle of a neighbourhood. You can see some parking here in this pic, but that cant even cover staff parking?? And is that a parking lot next to a McDonalds or s tht the McD's own parking?

The L's next to it, is there a huge parking garage it takes you too?

How does that work?

mqWNanH.jpg

Also, is that additional bleachers seating on the roofs of neighbouring buildings?

This picture is severely outdated. The parking lot with the McDonald's is no longer there. It's a hotel and a bunch of restaurants now. The triangle lot that you said couldn't accommodate staff is no longer a parking lot. It's now a "park" where people with tickets to the events can gather and watch on a giant TV screen. Also houses a store, Starbucks, and a couple other shops.

Yes, those are rooftop bleachers in the background. However, you have zero view of stage for concerts and no big monitors within Wrigley to watch it on. They still sell tickets as more of a listening thing, and serve food and beer. But I imagine the sound is trash. Concerts at Wrigley also don't sell the bleacher seating that you see behind the stage. It reminds empty. The baseball diamond is tarped off, but they do either have GA on the rest of the grass or bring in seats. 

Wrigley Field today has two giant screens on each side of the green scoreboard you see at the top center of the photo. But when I've been to concerts there, they are not on and the screens are reliant on whatever stage setup the band itself has. 

There are plenty of public transportation options that get you to Wrigley and there is off-site parking that can cost you between $30-$100 depending on the event. People with signs all along Clark and Addison.

• Thanks 1

• downzy changed the title to Gn'R playing Wrigley Field (Chicago) July 27th

I honestly don't think a new album will move many more than maybe a thousand or two more tickets per large market.

The reality is that 90 percent of those going to a GNR concert only want to hear hits.  Unless the album is loaded with a few monster singles, I can't see too many people outside of this forum wanting GNR to pack their setlists with songs they have never heard before.

Hopefully for all of us new music is on its way (I'll believe it when I see/hear it).  But all this talk about new material needed to sell large venues in large markets kind of misses what GNR are to those buying the tickets and where GNR are in their careers.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

I honestly don't think a new album will move many more than maybe a thousand or two more tickets per large market.

The reality is that 90 percent of those going to a GNR concert only want to hear hits.  Unless the album is loaded with a few monster singles, I can't see too many people outside of this forum wanting GNR to pack their setlists with songs they have never heard before.

Hopefully for all of us new music is on its way (I'll believe it when I see/hear it).  But all this talk about new material needed to sell large venues in large markets kind of misses what GNR are to those buying the tickets and where GNR are in their careers.

You're correct a new album wouldn't do much for ticket sales unless they somehow got a ton of streams/play and a new song became a hit. But they play nearly three hour sets. Most fans who pack it in for "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Live and Let Die" have no idea what "Coma" or "Locomotive" is. It's all about keeping it fresh not just for fans but for themselves. How in the fuck can they stay excited literally playing the same shit over and over?

25 minutes ago, downzy said:

Couldn't agree more. 

4 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Well, again, my lack of interest would stem from them likely doing the same set I've seen already give or take a song or two.  Decent seats at Wrigley would go for at least $300 or more.  With fees you're talking about $800 bucks for two decent tickets. 

For a tour that's just milking the market as an extension of NITL, I'm going to pass altogether. However, if this is in support of an album that, you know, exists...then I'll absolutely pay my way there.

NYC is the most expensive market in the country. For the NITL at MetLife Stadium, I paid $180 for lower level seats. At Madison Square Garden, I paid  $140. Fees were included in both prices.

Now, I do have a problem with Pearl Jam. The tickets for their show in March at MSG are starting at $400 per ticket in the upper level on Stubhub. That's just ridiculous! People tried to get tickets via TicketMaster and couldn't. Pearl Jam made the price of tickets worse by first requiring fans to be part of their fan club. From what I heard and read, not even those fans were able to get tickets.  

Is there even enough uber-casuals (with excessive levels of cash) out there for another round of US stadium touring? The thing is with these casuals is that they tend to see a band once, and there is often another nostalgia show in town, be that The Eagles, Fleetward Mac, Aerosmith, etc.

2 hours ago, JONEZY said:

Gnr has probably looked at the sales of the Crue/Def Leppard/Poison/Joan Jett tour and said, we'll hell we can do better than that.

I found it odd that Crue/Def Leppard/Poison/Joan Jett are playing at Citi Field and not MetLife Stadium. MetLife is a bigger stadium than Citi. I was wondering if it was due to maybe GNR making an announcement of playing at MetLife this summer. 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is there even enough uber-casuals (with excessive levels of cash) out there for another round of US stadium touring? The thing is with these casuals is that they tend to see a band once, and there is often another nostalgia show in town, be that The Eagles, Fleetward Mac, Aerosmith, etc.

I can't speak on the rest of the country, but growing up in North Jersey/NYC area, I can say that casual fans would definitely buy tickets. There's no doubt that MetLife Stadium would be sold out. 

1 hour ago, grogmug said:

It’s happening. I heard on 95.7, in Louisville, that an announcement of a stadium run is happening within the next week.

I wonder if Fenway Park in Boston will be one of those venues?

The Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Poison/Joan Jett tour has two nights booked there in late August. In September, Aerosmith and New Kids On The Block are playing seperate shows there, but on back-to-back nights.

My understanding is that Fenway is not the best place to see a concert, but it does have sort of an intimate feel to it. Capacity is around 38,000.

There is no sense in complaining about new music really if people continue to buy tickets for nostalgic touring. GN'R are a brand now and therefore are only prompted by market forces. They are basically acting in a way every corporate brand on the planet would inherently act. 

Just now, Draguns said:

I can't speak on the rest of the country, but growing up in North Jersey/NYC area, I can say that casual fans would definitely buy tickets. There's no doubt that MetLife Stadium would be sold out. 

There must be a lot of rich people at the prices GN'R charge, to keep coming back for repeat performances.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is no sense in complaining about new music really if people continue to buy tickets for nostalgic touring. GN'R are a brand now and therefore are only prompted by market forces. They are basically acting in a way every corporate brand on the planet would inherently act. 

There must be a lot of rich people at the prices GN'R charge, to keep coming back for repeat performances.

At least GNR is not Pearl Jam. A lot of people are ticked off with Pearl Jam regarding the sky high ticket prices for their show at MSG in March. 

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

You're correct a new album wouldn't do much for ticket sales unless they somehow got a ton of streams/play and a new song became a hit. But they play nearly three hour sets. Most fans who pack it in for "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Live and Let Die" have no idea what "Coma" or "Locomotive" is. It's all about keeping it fresh not just for fans but for themselves. How in the fuck can they stay excited literally playing the same shit over and over?

Maybe not Coma or Locomotive, but there are many GNR songs and covers that are not regularly played (You're Crazy, Rocket Queen, Yesterdays, Dead Horse, The Garden, Dust N' Bones, alt version of Don't Cry, Since I Don't Have You, Ain't It Fun, Out To Get Me, etc) that I am sure many casual fans would have a passive memory of and appreciate hearing.  Many of the songs listed were released as singles back in the day.  

At the very least, the setlist could be re-organized so anyone who has seen them at least once or twice won't know what's likely to be played next.

There are many ways to keep things "fresh" and the fans enjoying seeing the band for the umpteenth time without releasing new music.  Many other nostalgia acts do it.  

44 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Now, I do have a problem with Pearl Jam. The tickets for their show in March at MSG are starting at $400 per ticket in the upper level on Stubhub. That's just ridiculous! People tried to get tickets via TicketMaster and couldn't. Pearl Jam made the price of tickets worse by first requiring fans to be part of their fan club. From what I heard and read, not even those fans were able to get tickets.  

You're comparing face value tickets with scalper tickets.  That's not a fair comparison.

The truth is Pearl Jam is one of the most popular bands in the world.  They're currently scheduling only one night in America's second largest market in an arena that can hold 20k tops: of course not all fans are going to get a ticket. 

At least routing tickets through the fan club was a token effort to ensure the fans got tickets.  Compare that to GNR who reserve the first five to ten rows of seats on the floor for exorbitant VIP packages that start in the $500 - $750 range.

Sorry, but I find any notion that GNR is less greedy and more fan friendly with respect to ticket prices is absurd.

43 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is there even enough uber-casuals (with excessive levels of cash) out there for another round of US stadium touring? The thing is with these casuals is that they tend to see a band once, and there is often another nostalgia show in town, be that The Eagles, Fleetward Mac, Aerosmith, etc

That's a good question.  I doubt it but I assume we'll find out.  

• GNFNR 1

35 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

A new album would lead to tons of publicity, which would help sell stadiums in many markets.

Maybe. 

It would depend on the quality of music. 

If the first single is a dud, it might actually make people want to stay at home. 

I know I missed the last few times U2 came to town because I had no interest in hearing subpar to mediocre new rock songs from a band past their prime.  

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Is that the rumor GNR/RHCP?

I doubt it. RHCP is actually writing and recording a new album with John Frusciante. Although they are playing Boston Calling Festival in May (along with Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters and Liam Gallagher!)

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

You're comparing face value tickets with scalper tickets.  That's not a fair comparison.

The truth is Pearl Jam is one of the most popular bands in the world.  They're currently scheduling only one night in America's second largest market in an arena that can hold 20k tops: of course not all fans are going to get a ticket. 

At least routing tickets through the fan club was a token effort to ensure the fans got tickets.  Compare that to GNR who reserve the first five to ten rows of seats on the floor for exorbitant VIP packages that start in the $500 - $750 range.

Sorry, but I find any notion that GNR is less greedy and more fan friendly with respect to ticket prices is absurd.

That's a good question.  I doubt it but I assume we'll find out.  

You should see how many people are ticked off. Go to the Facebook page for the event. You'll see the angry comments. As you said, they made a token effort. They could have done a MUCH better job of how the tickets were distributed. My friend's wife was so looking forward to taking their daughter to the concert. She signed up for the Pearl Jam fan club and was entered into the lottery for tickets. Never got it. Her friend did the same thing. Got the presale code, but wasn't able to get the tickets. 

As a casual fan, I wanted to see them. I couldn't get tickets for the public sale due to 2,000+ people being in front of me.

Often times, there are complaints about the ticket prices on here.  I think this just puts a little perspective on things in regards to other bands or areas of the country.  With that being said, I do wish we can go back to the times when ticket prices were reasonable.