Jump to content
GoBucky

Gn'R playing Wrigley Field (Chicago) July 27th

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is there even enough uber-casuals (with excessive levels of cash) out there for another round of US stadium touring? The thing is with these casuals is that they tend to see a band once, and there is often another nostalgia show in town, be that The Eagles, Fleetward Mac, Aerosmith, etc.

Maybe there is some sort of cultural difference here, because I'm absolutely of this view too in the UK. Casuals go once, then move on- they certainly do in this country anyway, but perhaps it has something to do with the sheer volume of tours passing through. People seem to pay once, 'tick a box' then move on as you say, to whatever new nostalgia show is doing the rounds. Last summer it was the bloody Spice Girls of all people - massive Stadium tour, two or three nights in each city, all sold out....box ticked for all those fans. If they attempted to tour again this year, they'd be doing Arenas at best. People in the UK who are casual nostalgia hounds don't come out for the same act more than once....let alone the same act doing the same setlist! 

If it was another Arena run, I'd say "yeah, whatever"- GNR can do Arenas for the rest of their lives doing the same set at this point. But stepping it up again to Stadiums? Definitely odd in my view.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

The album itself is meaningless to most outside of a select group. 

The problem I'd say would be not releasing new music and continuing a nostalgia run... the narrative in articles is bound to become gnr the 'nostalgia' band and that isn't a gig that you HAVE to see. I have no doubt that a new album isn't going to suddenly make them play 3 nights in a row in a stadium or anything crazy like that😄

A good album creates a little bit of buzz, and it is all about perception. Somehow, gnr are somewhat cool to like now, but that's easily changed!

 

'Somewhat cool'? Haha - not with many people!

I'm the butt of a LOT of jokes from my friends about liking them- good natured stuff, but all they consider my love of GNR as an embarrassment or error of judgement! The only place they seem to hold any respect is in the hoary-old slow death of the 'classic rock' scene, where people think good music stopped being made about 1989! 

They shift a lot of t-shirts mind to the 'why not accessorize with an ironic retro-band shirt' crowd, to the point where it's a little embarrassing wearing a GNR shirt in public!  

Edited by allwaystired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It's about what Axl wants to be now in the end. If the fire's out and he doesn't want to move forward we get nothing more than what we get now until he disappears for good.

Which axl was always against right up to 93. Didnt want gnr to be compared to their older work and wanting to release new music. Wonder what happened to that?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

Yep, isn't this what Metallica recently got exposed for?  It's pretty shitty really manipulating ticket sales and prices and fucking your fans over...

Yeah. They knew what they were doing. Don’t be fooled if they say they didn’t know this was going on. It’s been a common practice for a lot of artists

They hate to see tickets on the secondary market going for high prices. Not because fans are getting ripped off, but because they aren’t getting a cut of that revenue and more importantly, that’s what they should be charging. 
 

So they sell a certain amount of tickets directly to scalpers and take a percentage. They do this to avoid getting blowback from the fans if they had just listed tickets at the true market value. No one wants to see $300 balcony tickets set as the initial price, but for some reason it’s ok if the demand pushes the secondary market to that point.  
 

We’re moving closer to just setting up live bidding for in demand shows. Otherwise, if artists want to set low prices for their fans, they can not only do that, but they can also take extreme measures to make sure there are no secondary tickets available 

Edited by guitarpatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

LMAO.

Yeah. We’re never getting new music.

We have a new fresh Shadow Of Your Love and Rock The Rock. The band is workin' really hard. So more respect please for a really hard working band.

Edited by t-p-d-a
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

'Somewhat cool'? Haha - not with many people!

I'm the butt of a LOT of jokes from my friends about liking them- good natured stuff, but all they consider my love of GNR as an embarrassment or error of judgement! The only place they seem to hold any respect is in the hoary-old slow death of the 'classic rock' scene, where people think good music stopped being made about 1989! 

They shift a lot of t-shirts mind to the 'why not accessorize with an ironic retro-band shirt' crowd, to the point where it's a little embarrassing wearing a GNR shirt in public!  

I used to be in the same boat. Nobody I knew liked them, now throw a stone and you hit someone saying they are a fan or hoping to get tickets for a gig. They won't be out buying a record on day of release, but ya'know

I wouldn't call them hip, but from where they were in 2014? They have turned a corner.

Also, I'll proudly wear a gnr tshirt in public. A big fuck off to anybody that says anything, I guarantee they won't say anything I won't have heard before, most of them believe all the shite headlines. A lot  ofpeople who still have a bone with gnr are usually alt/indie rock fans who think they have to dislike them, because gnr are dinosaurs and it would be uncool to listen to the national and gnr. You can happily listen to both. There are also lots that just don't like the music gnr made, and that's A ok! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Draguns said:

Not really. You couldn't get tickets on TicketMaster.  You had to be in their "queue". 

Dude you're just flat wrong about nearly everything you've said about Pearl Jam. I would take the time to explain it to you but several people have already done so and you've ignored it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

Yeah. They knew what they were doing. Don’t be fooled if they say they didn’t know this was going on. It’s been a common practice for a lot of artists

They hate to see tickets on the secondary market going for high prices. Not because fans are getting ripped off, but because they aren’t getting a cut of that revenue and more importantly, that’s what they should be charging. 
 

So they sell a certain amount of tickets directly to scalpers and take a percentage. They do this to avoid getting blowback from the fans if they had just listed tickets at the true market value. No one wants to see $300 balcony tickets set as the initial price, but for some reason it’s ok if the demand pushes the secondary market to that point.  
 

We’re moving closer to just setting up live bidding for in demand shows. Otherwise, if artists want to set low prices for their fans, they can not only do that, but they can also take extreme measures to make sure there are no secondary tickets available 

Personalized tickets and that shit would stop then and there. But really, all of them give a shit about the fan. They only cry about lost revenue/someone else making the money that should be theirs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Maybe there is some sort of cultural difference here, because I'm absolutely of this view too in the UK. Casuals go once, then move on- they certainly do in this country anyway, but perhaps it has something to do with the sheer volume of tours passing through. People seem to pay once, 'tick a box' then move on as you say, to whatever new nostalgia show is doing the rounds. Last summer it was the bloody Spice Girls of all people - massive Stadium tour, two or three nights in each city, all sold out....box ticked for all those fans. If they attempted to tour again this year, they'd be doing Arenas at best. People in the UK who are casual nostalgia hounds don't come out for the same act more than once....let alone the same act doing the same setlist! 

If it was another Arena run, I'd say "yeah, whatever"- GNR can do Arenas for the rest of their lives doing the same set at this point. But stepping it up again to Stadiums? Definitely odd in my view.  

The ironic thing being many of the same people at the Spice Girls will also be at Guns N' Roses - that is the level of casualness.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Personalized tickets and that shit would stop then and there. But really, all of them give a shit about the fan. They only cry about lost revenue/someone else making the money that should be theirs.

It’s a way to gain extra revenue on top of the band’s fees. Take the difference between face value and the secondary market price. A cut goes to the band, a cut goes to the promoter, the scalper (which is Ticketmaster), etc.. 

It’s all a racket. Release some tickets, say it’s sold out and then sell some directly to scalpers to help set their market and collect on the difference. Then they release some more and repeat the process. 

Now sometimes it’s necessary. Especially if the band’s fees are high. The promoter needs to dip into the scalping market to help make the show more profitable and they’ll negotiate the band’s cut down/or even out of the equation. They’ll do this and sometimes the artist isn’t even aware. They’re getting paid, who cares. 

Now if the band didn’t want this to happen, they’d have to ask for less $.....which for many artists won’t happen. So on it goes. 
 

You see a lot of the personalized tickets with smaller shows.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

'Somewhat cool'? Haha - not with many people!

I'm the butt of a LOT of jokes from my friends about liking them- good natured stuff, but all they consider my love of GNR as an embarrassment or error of judgement! The only place they seem to hold any respect is in the hoary-old slow death of the 'classic rock' scene, where people think good music stopped being made about 1989! 

They shift a lot of t-shirts mind to the 'why not accessorize with an ironic retro-band shirt' crowd, to the point where it's a little embarrassing wearing a GNR shirt in public!  

 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I used to be in the same boat. Nobody I knew liked them, now throw a stone and you hit someone saying they are a fan or hoping to get tickets for a gig. They won't be out buying a record on day of release, but ya'know

I wouldn't call them hip, but from where they were in 2014? They have turned a corner.

Also, I'll proudly wear a gnr tshirt in public. A big fuck off to anybody that says anything, I guarantee they won't say anything I won't have heard before, most of them believe all the shite headlines. A lot  ofpeople who still have a bone with gnr are usually alt/indie rock fans who think they have to dislike them, because gnr are dinosaurs and it would be uncool to listen to the national and gnr. You can happily listen to both. There are also lots that just don't like the music gnr made, and that's A ok! 

I wear proudly GnR shirts all the time and I don't care what anyone else thinks. You can tell who's wearing it just for fashion though. Usually they just have the generic AFD cross or bullet logo shirt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Caedo said:

That's so brilliant haha. Imagine owning one of those buildings, you could make a killing selling tickets to watch a game/show from your roof

Haha, I know! Im tickled by the idea that they do that. Do they like, knock on your front door to get up there? Do you sell them microwave popcorn from your kitchen? Its too cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The ironic thing being many of the same people at the Spice Girls will also be at Guns N' Roses - that is the level of casualness.

Absolutely. These events cater for the same people - photo with back to the stage holding a beer, dress up as ginger/baby spice or axl bandana/slash wig, tell everyone how amazing it was on Facebook, attend in a big group of 10 or 15 people, then forget about it forever. 

Making people like that your audience comes at a major price though - there's absolutely no long-term future in it. It's a quick buck. Hence my astonishment that a band would step back up to stadiums after an Arena run without offering anything new/different to hook people in again. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

 

I wear proudly GnR shirts all the time and I don't care what anyone else thinks. You can tell who's wearing it just for fashion though. Usually they just have the generic AFD cross or bullet logo shirt.

Haha- I have both those shirts! 

I just feel a prick when I leave the house proudly wearing my Illusion tour shirt, walk into a bar and see some group of particularly obnoxious women on a horrendous looking hen night, one of which is wearing a brand new version of the same shirt, 'artfully distressed', that she picked up in a chain-fashion store that afternoon. It makes me cringe inside a bit! 

Actually, my lowest moment came in 2012, when I was on my way to see them and struck up a conversation with a woman in a bar near to the venue who was wearing a GNR shirt, assuming she too was on her way to the show, expecting a bit of light-hearted Chinese Democracy related chat.  She didn't really know who they were, had no idea they were doing concerts, and even less idea that they were playing in a venue down the road! 

I'd dragged along a friend to the concert who found it all absolutely hilarious and took it as opportunity to inform me that "he'd told me before that no-one cares"! I got the last laugh though - Axl came on really really fucking late, it was a weeknight, and he spent a fortune on over-priced beer staving off the boredom of waiting in an Arena for hours to see a band he didn't even like. 

  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

It’s a way to gain extra revenue on top of the band’s fees. Take the difference between face value and the secondary market price. A cut goes to the band, a cut goes to the promoter, the scalper (which is Ticketmaster), etc.. 

It’s all a racket. Release some tickets, say it’s sold out and then sell some directly to scalpers to help set their market and collect on the difference. Then they release some more and repeat the process. 

Now sometimes it’s necessary. Especially if the band’s fees are high. The promoter needs to dip into the scalping market to help make the show more profitable and they’ll negotiate the band’s cut down/or even out of the equation. They’ll do this and sometimes the artist isn’t even aware. They’re getting paid, who cares. 

Now if the band didn’t want this to happen, they’d have to ask for less $.....which for many artists won’t happen. So on it goes. 
 

You see a lot of the personalized tickets with smaller shows.  

Yeah. At the end of the day it's all a dirty business and everyone is looking for their own best interest exploiting the fan. And the fan is stupid enough to pay whatever is asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Haha- I have both those shirts! 

I just feel a prick when I leave the house proudly wearing my Illusion tour shirt, walk into a bar and see some group of particularly obnoxious women on a horrendous looking hen night, one of which is wearing a brand new version of the same shirt, 'artfully distressed', that she picked up in a chain-fashion store that afternoon. It makes me cringe inside a bit! 

Actually, my lowest moment came in 2012, when I was on my way to see them and struck up a conversation with a woman in a bar near to the venue who was wearing a GNR shirt, assuming she too was on her way to the show, expecting a bit of light-hearted Chinese Democracy related chat.  She didn't really know who they were, had no idea they were doing concerts, and even less idea that they were playing in a venue down the road! 

I'd dragged along a friend to the concert who found it all absolutely hilarious and took it as opportunity to inform me that "he'd told me before that no-one cares"! I got the last laugh though - Axl came on really really fucking late, it was a weeknight, and he spent a fortune on over-priced beer staving off the boredom of waiting in an Arena for hours to see a band he didn't even like. 

  

There are multiple levels of fandom. Not everyone is like us/or relates to music like us. They make a ton more $ off fans like the above than the one’s who would and didn’t buy Locked N Loaded. That being said, they’d would love to gouge both sides of the spectrum. There’s just much more at the bottom than the top of the pyramid. That’s why new music doesn’t matter. They are going to try and play stadiums until Live Nation says they can’t. They’re going for volume to cash in. They will roll out Jungle/Paradise every night if it means they get their pay day. 

The members of GNR are in their late 50’s. It is very extremely unlikely that they will have mainstream success with new material. The majority of people don’t go to see McCartney play his new songs, Nor did they go to see Sabbath play material off of 13. They go for the hits, relive something in their youth, or see something out of the fear of missing out. Of course that’s not a blanket statement across the board, but that’s the overwhelming reality. 

I hope Guns releases new music. Maybe it gets good reviews. Maybe more people passively listen. It’s just never going to be like 88-93. That time has passed. Kids who are music fanatics who push culture don’t really relate to past middle aged men playing rock songs. It’s success doesn’t matter to me. I just hope I enjoy it 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

 

I wear proudly GnR shirts all the time and I don't care what anyone else thinks. You can tell who's wearing it just for fashion though. Usually they just have the generic AFD cross or bullet logo shirt.

I exclusively wear AFD cross and Bullet logo tshirts :P 

But seriously, I wasn't aiming that at you! More just a general rant. Us GNR fans love a good rant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Haha- I have both those shirts! 

I just feel a prick when I leave the house proudly wearing my Illusion tour shirt, walk into a bar and see some group of particularly obnoxious women on a horrendous looking hen night, one of which is wearing a brand new version of the same shirt, 'artfully distressed', that she picked up in a chain-fashion store that afternoon. It makes me cringe inside a bit! 

Actually, my lowest moment came in 2012, when I was on my way to see them and struck up a conversation with a woman in a bar near to the venue who was wearing a GNR shirt, assuming she too was on her way to the show, expecting a bit of light-hearted Chinese Democracy related chat.  She didn't really know who they were, had no idea they were doing concerts, and even less idea that they were playing in a venue down the road! 

I'd dragged along a friend to the concert who found it all absolutely hilarious and took it as opportunity to inform me that "he'd told me before that no-one cares"! I got the last laugh though - Axl came on really really fucking late, it was a weeknight, and he spent a fortune on over-priced beer staving off the boredom of waiting in an Arena for hours to see a band he didn't even like. 

  

 

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I exclusively wear AFD cross and Bullet logo tshirts :P 

But seriously, I wasn't aiming that at you! More just a general rant. Us GNR fans love a good rant!

I have both those shirts too, plus a bunch of other designs. But I agree with you, it's irritating to meet someone wearing it from the mall and they don't know anything about the band. Even worse when they aren't aware that they've been on a reunion tour for almost 4 years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

 

I have both those shirts too, plus a bunch of other designs. But I agree with you, it's irritating to meet someone wearing it from the mall and they don't know anything about the band. Even worse when they aren't aware that they've been on a reunion tour for almost 4 years now.

.....and when they're the sort of people you'd really prefer not to have anything in common with, let alone clothing choices! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone from Chicago have more info on this? I’d enjoy another stadium run. I know we all complain about new music, but the reality is, they won’t be around forever. I skipped on seeing Motley Crue a few times back they toured every year. When they retired I wished I would’ve went to more. Now I’m glad they’re back and will go see them as well as guns, as long as they continue to do it. I’ve never had a bad time seeing either band. 

Also, anyone think the possible GNR stadium tour could have anything to do with Crue? Kinda an ego thing? Since the Crue is doing it, we can do it again? Maybe that’s a bit of a reach, but who knows? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikeman5150 said:

 

Also, anyone think the possible GNR stadium tour could have anything to do with Crue? Kinda an ego thing? Since the Crue is doing it, we can do it again? Maybe that’s a bit of a reach, but who knows? 

Nah. I think it has zero to do with Crue. They suck and wouldn't be able to fill a stadium without Def Leppard's help anyhow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Also, anyone think the possible GNR stadium tour could have anything to do with Crue? Kinda an ego thing? Since the Crue is doing it, we can do it again? Maybe that’s a bit of a reach, but who knows? 

doubt it was decision made by the band. promoters probably reached out to management because they know they can turn a huge profit... even if they dont sell out all the seats, the remaining tickets will be given away for free so that they make up the difference in beer and merch sales

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Nah. I think it has zero to do with Crue. They suck and wouldn't be able to fill a stadium without Def Leppard's help anyhow.

I saw that Vince Neil was working out hard and training for the tour.  They had a pic of his new physique on Twitter, only problem is that it's from 1984.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Nah. I think it has zero to do with Crue. They suck and wouldn't be able to fill a stadium without Def Leppard's help anyhow.

You’re probably right, as another poster said it’s likely between the promoters and management just seeing dollar signs. 

I disagree with the Crue sucking though. IMO they clearly aren’t on guns level, but their live show has always been great, even if Vince doesn’t sound good, the visuals are always good. Nobody takes a piss break during the drum solo because it’s always something crazy going on. I also think their hits have aged surprisingly well. The movie really did bring them to a whole new audience. Several teenagers that I work with are excited about going to see them this summer. These are kids who were listening to post Malone last year lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×