North American Tour Dates Announced

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Completely disagree, plus the best UYI songs were the Axl/Slash songs: Coma, Locomotive, Estranged, Nov Rain... I'm sure they could put 10 songs together that would stand up to the UYI material. 

that is fair, but there is always a BUT...song idea is one thing, completed song requires the input from the whole band and a chemistry a band does or does not have to complete the song/album from the basics.

Neither song of UYI/TSI would have sounded the way it did was Matt not on the album. YCBM, Breakdown, Coma, DTTJ, Dead Horse, Back off...you name it - killer drums through and through.

Neither song of AFD/UYI's wouldn't have sounded the way it did was Izzy not on them.

Could someone else have played? Sure but the result would had not been same.  After all, these albums are the reason we are all here, surely not Lies and definitely not CD.

There is a chemistry that a band requires to have, when they have that flow - they can record magic in any freakin basement in a weekend time.  When they don't - we have what we've got now - Slash goes and creates stuff with SMKC in his off time.

Take a listen to TSI and the flow that band had. The energy you hear in Slash/Gilby playing.

Hell,  Canter adressed how all GNR albums were made here on this forum years ago, go dig it and you will figure out why nothing is happening.

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, there's a reason. It's name is Axl Rose :lol:

Axl was always there but they still created 4 masterpieces in like 5 years.

And nothing authentic since coming off UYI tour.  Now it is still Ax/Slash/Duff for 4 years ,yet the only new stuff - a song from original line up.

A plain will just ain't enough.  Can they do it?  Yes, but IMO it requires rebooting to '87-'93 era.

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

don't you think there might be a reason there is no new album with this line up in the first place?

I personally think it is more the lead singer allergic to releasing anything than it is a lack of material the band as a whole considers worthy to be released

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I personally think it is more the lead singer allergic to releasing anything than it is a lack of material the band as a whole considers worthy to be released

Of course it's Axl. It's always been Axl. It has nothing to do with "this line up" 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Completely disagree, plus the best UYI songs were the Axl/Slash songs: Coma, Locomotive, Estranged, Nov Rain... I'm sure they could put 10 songs together that would stand up to the UYI material. 

well, that is optimistic. I believe this line up is capable of completing a great Gn'R album, like I've said many times before, but Estranged, Coma, Locomotive, November Rain? these are epic tunes that were composed 30 years ago when the band was still on top.

I think the closest Axl got to that level of quality was Catcher/There Was A Time and even those tunes don't really compare to November Rain/Estranged imo.

Im thinking of rechecking glasgow or Edinburgh tickets closer to the time. The prices for the UK shows are crazy. But I am prioritising and praying something gets announced to make the costs worthwhile. 

It depends on how far I get with my car between now and then. Its an old Ford I'm slowly restoring, I use it as my daily as well. I want it ready for vintage rallies and such this summer. 

1 hour ago, Axlr0s37 said:

Im thinking of rechecking glasgow or Edinburgh tickets closer to the time. The prices for the UK shows are crazy. But I am prioritising and praying something gets announced to make the costs worthwhile. 

It depends on how far I get with my car between now and then. Its an old Ford I'm slowly restoring, I use it as my daily as well. I want it ready for vintage rallies and such this summer. 

No need to recheck that Edinburgh show......they're not playing there! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Axlr0s37 said:

I think £85 for glasgow green is reasonable. Most artists are around £75. 2 hit wonder Lewis capaldi is charging the same and I bet gnr play 3 hours plus

Edited by Axl_morris

22 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

that is fair, but there is always a BUT...song idea is one thing, completed song requires the input from the whole band and a chemistry a band does or does not have to complete the song/album from the basics.

Neither song of UYI/TSI would have sounded the way it did was Matt not on the album. YCBM, Breakdown, Coma, DTTJ, Dead Horse, Back off...you name it - killer drums through and through.

Neither song of AFD/UYI's wouldn't have sounded the way it did was Izzy not on them.

Could someone else have played? Sure but the result would had not been same.  After all, these albums are the reason we are all here, surely not Lies and definitely not CD.

There is a chemistry that a band requires to have, when they have that flow - they can record magic in any freakin basement in a weekend time.  When they don't - we have what we've got now - Slash goes and creates stuff with SMKC in his off time.

Take a listen to TSI and the flow that band had. The energy you hear in Slash/Gilby playing.

Hell,  Canter adressed how all GNR albums were made here on this forum years ago, go dig it and you will figure out why nothing is happening.

Matt is a good drummer, but he's like my 4th favourite GNR drummer lol. Steven > Brain > Josh Freese > Matt > Frank. I think they'll manage to make Frank sound 'good enough' in the studio so I'm not concerned about the drums on a new album.

I'm not debating that the songs would've sounded different if Izzy or Matt didn't play on them, that seems pretty obvious, but I think Slash and Richard have good chemistry, even if it's not the same as Slash and Izzy's chemistry.

22 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Axl was always there but they still created 4 masterpieces in like 5 years.

And nothing authentic since coming off UYI tour.  Now it is still Ax/Slash/Duff for 4 years ,yet the only new stuff - a song from original line up.

A plain will just ain't enough.  Can they do it?  Yes, but IMO it requires rebooting to '87-'93 era.

I don't see how it requires 'rebooting to the 87-93 era', Axl has released songs since then that were as good or better than some UYI songs, Slash has released a few gems as well, and it would never be the same as it used to be even if they did 'reboot'. The worst thing they could do is try to make AFD 2.0 honestly.

I don't think the biggest issue is getting quality material from this line-up, it's figuring out how to release the CD era songs that Axl wants to release. I'm sure they could put together some good, modern-classic-rock songs once they actually record the songs Slash and Duff bring in, maybe even 1 or 2 more 'epics', but I'm not expecting it to sound like AFD or UYI.

• Like 1

I personally think anything over $100 is ridiculous. There is no universe where things should cost more than that for one rock show. If it's a VIP Package with a meet & greet, a buffet, and a stupid lanyard, fine. The record industry is dead and live performances are the main way that people make money, so go for it.

But $250 before fees for floor & lower level seats is way too much. If it were $100ish for floor, $75ish for lower level, and $50ish for uppers, you'd sell it out quick and ironically you could probably book another date based off this price tier.

I've made this point before, but at this price structure you'd likely see me at three or four shows. I can justify the cost for this amount. But $300 for one night before I pay for parking, merch, beer, whatever, pass.

50 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Matt is a good drummer, but he's like my 4th favourite GNR drummer lol. Steven > Brain > Josh Freese > Matt > Frank. I think they'll manage to make Frank sound 'good enough' in the studio so I'm not concerned about the drums on a new album.

I'm not debating that the songs would've sounded different if Izzy or Matt didn't play on them, that seems pretty obvious, but I think Slash and Richard have good chemistry, even if it's not the same as Slash and Izzy's chemistry.

I don't see how it requires 'rebooting to the 87-93 era', Axl has released songs since then that were as good or better than some UYI songs, Slash has released a few gems as well, and it would never be the same as it used to be even if they did 'reboot'. The worst thing they could do is try to make AFD 2.0 honestly.

I don't think the biggest issue is getting quality material from this line-up, it's figuring out how to release the CD era songs that Axl wants to release. I'm sure they could put together some good, modern-classic-rock songs once they actually record the songs Slash and Duff bring in, maybe even 1 or 2 more 'epics', but I'm not expecting it to sound like AFD or UYI.

Absolutely. Both CD and Libertad have songs that are better than UYI, that is not to say that the UYI's best is worse than Libertad's or CD's best, but that's exactly what I think the new album would sound like. Not like Appetite and not like UYI but somewhere between Libertad and CD once they refurbish those CD leftovers.

Edited by scooby845
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

I personally think anything over $100 is ridiculous. There is no universe where things should cost more than that for one rock show. If it's a VIP Package with a meet & greet, a buffet, and a stupid lanyard, fine. The record industry is dead and live performances are the main way that people make money, so go for it.

But $250 before fees for floor & lower level seats is way too much. If it were $100ish for floor, $75ish for lower level, and $50ish for uppers, you'd sell it out quick and ironically you could probably book another date based off this price tier.

I've made this point before, but at this price structure you'd likely see me at three or four shows. I can justify the cost for this amount. But $300 for one night before I pay for parking, merch, beer, whatever, pass.

Interestingly, tickets aren't priced on what you think is ridiculous.  Nor are they priced on how many shows YOU may attend.   They are priced based on the analysis of someone or a team that says, "this is the price where the most amount of money can be made".    So, in theory, even if they sell less actual tickets,they will make the maximum amount of money they can based on that ticket price.  Most bands now, big name bands, are selling tickets at well over $100 for the best seats (not counting the TicketMaster platinum BS).  

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Interestingly, tickets aren't priced on what you think is ridiculous.  Nor are they priced on how many shows YOU may attend.   They are priced based on the analysis of someone or a team that says, "this is the price where the most amount of money can be made".    So, in theory, even if they sell less actual tickets,they will make the maximum amount of money they can based on that ticket price.  Most bands now, big name bands, are selling tickets at well over $100 for the best seats (not counting the TicketMaster platinum BS).  

I am perfectly aware that they are (regrettably) not priced on what I would want. 

And yes, the prices are the result of a large team who have put this together. This team is also a confluence of influences and each influence has their own stake in it - the artist, the manager, the promoter, the venue, possibly the merch company, and more. Now, though, the record company is getting involved, seeking their stake since no one buys albums anymore. All of this is driving the costs up. And it maaaay even be making a bit of a bubble. Competition is also tight with many huge acts on tour in the summer and, at these prices, a lot of working class people can do maybe one or two. This is also based on many conversations I've had with several people who earn decent livings, are big GNR fans or have always wanted to see him, but just can't justify the cost at $250 + fees for an okay seat. Especially if they want to take their wife and kids. Ends up being close to a grand for one night. This is risky for a band that also has nothing new to promote. 

And obviously they will make the maximum amount of money based on their current structure, however, that maximum seems to be diminishing. I just looked at the Ticketmaster listing for ten North America shows. Most are at 50% capacity. Interestingly, Seattle has the nosebleeds priced at about what I said they should be and they're all sold out. What I'm basically saying is: lower these costs and they may actually make bank and be able to play more nights in the same cities. 

21 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Every band that is touring this year in a big venue is charging over $100 a ticket. There are some for under $100 but they are playing smaller venues. I paid $150 a ticket for GNR this time around. Last time it was $250. I feel they are well worth the money. 

Most bands now have those VIP tickets for over $1000 to meet them or whatever. I think that's a rip off for any fan. I have a friend who paid that much to meet the Crue this year. She's treating herself, so okay, but it's way too much money. She did get seats in the front though. I'm happy for her, but I can't afford that much money for a 5 minute meet and greet.

Yeah, I agree then it's parking which in some venues here can be over $100 for stadium parking. Food is so high and a damn burger and fries. I usually get one water which is over $5. Drinks are crazy high. If you buy a shirt it's going to be over $40 now. Any other merch can be higher. It's just crazy these days.

My mom saw David Bowie in 1973 for $16 in Radio city Music Hall and she was in the 6th row. lol

12 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Every band that is touring this year in a big venue is charging over $100 a ticket. There are some for under $100 but they are playing smaller venues. I paid $150 a ticket for GNR this time around. Last time it was $250. I feel they are well worth the money. 

Most bands now have those VIP tickets for over $1000 to meet them or whatever. I think that's a rip off for any fan. I have a friend who paid that much to meet the Crue this year. She's treating herself, so okay, but it's way too much money. She did get seats in the front though. I'm happy for her, but I can't afford that much money for a 5 minute meet and greet.

Yeah, I agree then it's parking which in some venues here can be over $100 for stadium parking. Food is so high and a damn burger and fries. I usually get one water which is over $5. Drinks are crazy high. If you buy a shirt it's going to be over $40 now. Any other merch can be higher. It's just crazy these days.

My mom saw David Bowie in 1973 for $16 in Radio city Music Hall and she was in the 6th row. lol

The way things are looking your mom might be able to see GNR in 2020 for $16 in Metlife Stadium and be in the 6th row. lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 22. 02. 2020. at 10:49 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Drummers, songs...it is a matter of taste.  I consider Matt + Adler = GNR.  Everyone else - revolving door.

For me GNR stopped with UYI and TSI.  CD was (failed) solo project.  But anyone can have the opinion they want. Peronally, Slash and Duff if they release the album, they need to make the one of AFD or UYI heights, which iMO requires old line up, as I said, it is not random the only post 'renion' song was SOYL, the one from very GNR begining. Now if they want a propper GNR album - comes down to Izzy and Matt (Steve, we can all agree on, for mental and physical reasons, is not a long term solution. Unfortunately.).

If that wasn't so,  slash and dufff would have stitched up an axl vault song a long time ago and slash would not go record and tour with smkc in his free time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

Drummers, songs...it is a matter of taste.  I consider Matt + Adler = GNR.  Everyone else - revolving door.

For me GNR stopped with UYI and TSI.  CD was (failed) solo project.  But anyone can have the opinion they want. Peronally, Slash and Duff if they release the album, they need to make the one of AFD or UYI heights, which iMO requires old line up, as I said, it is not random the only post 'renion' song was SOYL, the one from very GNR begining. Now if they want a propper GNR album - comes down to Izzy and Matt (Steve, we can all agree on, for mental and physical reasons, is not a long term solution. Unfortunately.).

If that wasn't so,  slash and dufff would have stitched up an axl vault song a long time ago and slash would not go record and tour with smkc in his free time.

For all we know, Slash and Duff probably have 'stitched up' some Axl vault songs. We know Slash even did some recording at Axl's house... but that doesn't mean Axl is ready to release those songs yet. It's far more likely that Slash and Duff have done solo albums/tours because Axl won't release the music, not because the music isn't there.

29 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Axl has released 5 albums, and a covers album with GNR over the past 35 years.  Don't hold your breath on a new record anytime soon.

God, can you imagine if they’d only released one of the UYI albums in ‘91 due to record company pressure to hold on to some material for down the road or any other outside factors? We may have never seen the other album..

28 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Axl has released 5 albums, and a covers album with GNR over the past 35 years.  Don't hold your breath on a new record anytime soon.

New album talk is just speculative, dream-scenario banter between fans. I don't think many people on here are still holding their breath for a new GNR album. :lol:

Plus, the general consensus seems to be 'why are they doing this tour without anything to promote?' so obviously new music will be talked about.

• Like 1