North American Tour Dates Announced

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

New album talk is just speculative, dream-scenario banter between fans. I don't think many people on here are still holding their breath for a new GNR album. :lol:

Plus, the general consensus seems to be 'why are they doing this tour without anything to promote?' so obviously new music will be talked about.

what is the new fav word in axl universe...not in this lifetime?

Guys, it's not necessarily about them having to release a record within the next few months. It's about whether or not new songs will be played (like during the UYI Tour). That itself would be enough, the record can take its time. And that we still don't know. 

40 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Guys, it's not necessarily about them having to release a record within the next few months. It's about whether or not new songs will be played (like during the UYI Tour). That itself would be enough, the record can take its time. And that we still don't know. 

Exactly this. We just need confirmation that new songs are at least being worked on, like Slash has led us to believe.

May 20th or bust.

Edited by jackparker123

imo we're way beyond the "one new song live is ok" point... that woulda been ok 2 years ago. i think it just goes to show that gnr fans have been brainwashed into accepting mediocrity. 

im still a huge gnr fan so im not blasting anyone here, but i wouldnt be any more excited to go see a show this summer knowing theres one new song in the set, than i would be for the same old set list we've all grown used to. 

at this point, i really think its new album or bust... but i also said that about the "last tour"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

imo we're way beyond the "one new song live is ok" point... that woulda been ok 2 years ago. i think it just goes to show that gnr fans have been brainwashed into accepting mediocrity. 

im still a huge gnr fan so im not blasting anyone here, but i wouldnt be any more excited to go see a show this summer knowing theres one new song in the set, than i would be for the same old set list we've all grown used to. 

at this point, i really think its new album or bust... but i also said that about the "last tour"

I sort of agree, but I think if nothing new is even played, I never thought I'd say this, but it's probably time to call it a day. 

I think the 'just one new song' is needed by people as a sign that things are at least moving forwards, slightly. Without that, in my view, there's really very little for me to be interested in. I've no interest in nostalgia, and it saddens me deeply if that's the way GNR want to play this out. 

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

Exactly this. We just need confirmation that new songs are at least being worked on, like Slash has led us to believe.

May 20th or bust.

March. No reason to say FY to Mehico/SA fans and spare the new stuff just for Europe/US. 

25 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

No, this would be going according to what Slash said in the fall of 2019 (i.e. no new major tour without new music). 

14 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think the 'just one new song' is needed by people as a sign that things are at least moving forwards

i hear ya... thats how i felt in 2017 and 2018 tho... i guess some people are more patient than others

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

No, this would be going according to what Slash said in the fall of 2019 (i.e. no new major tour without new music). 

i think you and most people that frequent this forum know never to trust what anyone in or around the band says

8 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i hear ya... thats how i felt in 2017 and 2018 tho... i guess some people are more patient than others

i think you and most people that frequent this forum know never to trust what anyone in or around the band says

Right, but then again, never in the history of his tenure has Slash lied or seriously misled about similar information afaik. 

Edited by jamillos

20 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Every band that is touring this year in a big venue is charging over $100 a ticket. There are some for under $100 but they are playing smaller venues. I paid $150 a ticket for GNR this time around. Last time it was $250. I feel they are well worth the money. 

Most bands now have those VIP tickets for over $1000 to meet them or whatever. I think that's a rip off for any fan. I have a friend who paid that much to meet the Crue this year. She's treating herself, so okay, but it's way too much money. She did get seats in the front though. I'm happy for her, but I can't afford that much money for a 5 minute meet and greet.

Yeah, I agree then it's parking which in some venues here can be over $100 for stadium parking. Food is so high and a damn burger and fries. I usually get one water which is over $5. Drinks are crazy high. If you buy a shirt it's going to be over $40 now. Any other merch can be higher. It's just crazy these days.

My mom saw David Bowie in 1973 for $16 in Radio city Music Hall and she was in the 6th row. lol

Exactly - I think we're reaching a point where tickets for these big tours are going to have to go down a bit. 

32 minutes ago, jamillos said:

March. No reason to say FY to Mehico/SA fans and spare the new stuff just for Europe/US. 

I dont think the South American leg has been officially labelled the "The Next Chapter", so I'm not holding my breath for any surprises during that leg.

If May 20th comes with no real news I'll enjoy my Hamburg gig on June 2nd, but will stop caring about new GNR material.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I dont think the South American leg has been officially labelled the "The Next Chapter", so I'm not holding my breath for any surprises during that leg.

If May 20th comes with no real news I'll enjoy my Hamburg gig on June 2nd, but will stop caring about new GNR material.

Oh has it? I didn't know that. 

If it's going under 'next chapter' and it's the same setlist, then Europe and NA will be exactly the same too, I'm sure. 

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I sort of agree, but I think if nothing new is even played, I never thought I'd say this, but it's probably time to call it a day. 

I think the 'just one new song' is needed by people as a sign that things are at least moving forwards, slightly. Without that, in my view, there's really very little for me to be interested in. I've no interest in nostalgia, and it saddens me deeply if that's the way GNR want to play this out. 

It's a sorry state of affairs. I'm going to enjoy my gigs this Summer but if it's the same old same old I won't be in a hurry to do it again. I'd have more love for Slash N Myles 

51 minutes ago, WildStar said:

It's a sorry state of affairs. I'm going to enjoy my gigs this Summer but if it's the same old same old I won't be in a hurry to do it again. I'd have more love for Slash N Myles 

Yeah, we'll see. The waste of potential though I find too depressing to really comprehend. 

1 hour ago, WildStar said:

I actually got to that point a few years ago. I really liked Living The Dream and I remember after hearing it for the first time, thinking "meh, fuck a new GNR record. As long as Slash is writing stuff at the level of The Great Pretender, then I'm set." I doubt they'd be anything better on a new Guns album than that song.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I actually got to that point a few years ago. I really liked Living The Dream and I remember after hearing it for the first time, thinking "meh, fuck a new GNR record. As long as Slash is writing stuff at the level of The Great Pretender, then I'm set." I doubt they'd be anything better on a new Guns album than that song.

Oh yes The Great Pretender is amazing. My favourite off Living The Dream 

55 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, we'll see. The waste of potential though I find too depressing to really comprehend. 

So many wasted years it's impossible to make them up. 

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

Right, but then again, never in the history of his tenure has Slash lied or seriously misled about similar information afaik. 

He hasnt lied or mislead, just offering a poor explanations. Case in point how to release new music.

Edited by Sydney Fan

56 minutes ago, tony adler said:

Don’t want to be a “Debbie downer”, but it is a real possibility that the European/SA part of the tour could get canceled due to the Coronavirus ( it is not slowing down).

At least in it moment in SA not exist the Coronavirus.

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

He hasnt lied or mislead, just offering a poor explanations. Case in point how to release new music.

Nah, we can joke about it (I know I have), but to me, all he really said was, it's pretty much done, now we just need some time to find out the best way how to do this whole release/PR thing, that's all. 

Edit: Last time they've released something worth promoting together was almost 30 years ago; I guess they want to take a more thought out course rather than just release a CD like SMKC or Duff would do. This is a really huge thing, when you think about it. This is it. A big deal. Not just another rock n' roll album of the new decade. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Nah, we can joke about it (I know I have), but to me, all he really said was, it's pretty much done, now we just need some time to find out the best way how to do this whole release/PR thing, that's all. 

Edit: Last time they've released something worth promoting together was almost 30 years ago; I guess they want to take a more thought out course rather than just release a CD like SMKC or Duff would do. This is a really huge thing, when you think about it. This is it. A big deal. Not just another rock n' roll album of the new decade. 

That's a very optimistic way of interpreting Slash's interview. It could also be read as "I've layed a few guitar solos down on material that's two decades old, but that's about it, and I keep getting asked about it in interviews and it's getting awkward, so lets just say we're undecided on how to release it. That looks a lot whole better than admitting that a new album is not really on anyones agenda because of Axl Rose."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Towelie said:

That's a very optimistic way of interpreting Slash's interview. It could also be read as "I've layed a few guitar solos down on material that's two decades old, but that's about it, and I keep getting asked about it in interviews and it's getting awkward, so lets just say we're undecided on how to release it. That looks a lot whole better than admitting that a new album is not really on anyones agenda because of Axl Rose."

Yeah, there's always this option. I'm riding the optimism wave at least till March 14...

Wasn’t it Axl who lamented the small discography? In soundbites and interviews he has never given any suggestion that he is ‘holding back’ music for any specific reason other than planned releases like CD2 etc.

The CD debacle (based on info/leaks) was initially largely down to the record company and the likes of Bob Ezrin - as time goes on then no doubt Axl gets into the super-tinkering stage.

Personally, I think we will see new music at some point. ‘When’ is another issue but depending on when the material was finished, I’d guess that the big thing now is promotion etc (which is what I think Slash was alluding to).

If I’d been asked 5 years ago if we would have got new music or a reunion I would have said new music 99/100. The fact we got the reconciliation is more remarkable and new music all the more likely - particularly the sharing of burden now the ‘big three’ are in place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Wasn’t it Axl who lamented the small discography? In soundbites and interviews he has never given any suggestion that he is ‘holding back’ music for any specific reason other than planned releases like CD2 etc.

The CD debacle (based on info/leaks) was initially largely down to the record company and the likes of Bob Ezrin - as time goes on then no doubt Axl gets into the super-tinkering stage.

Personally, I think we will see new music at some point. ‘When’ is another issue but depending on when the material was finished, I’d guess that the big thing now is promotion etc (which is what I think Slash was alluding to).

If I’d been asked 5 years ago if we would have got new music or a reunion I would have said new music 99/100. The fact we got the reconciliation is more remarkable and new music all the more likely - particularly the sharing of burden now the ‘big three’ are in place.

52 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They should have done one real reunion with the AFD5 or as close to it as possible and then called it a day. The thing was only going to last so long before Axl started making them look like a joke again. 

I think the answer to both of these is $$$ and feeling lack of enthusiasm from outside the hardcore fanbase for new music from that lineup. From the 2018 Billboard article:

Tommy Stinson, who says he hasn't listened to Chinese Democracy since he helped record it, provides his take on Axl's unfinished masterpiece: "All I can is…that record was not meant to be one disc." Chinese Democracy remains curiously incomplete, and though the numbers vary, there seem to be at least 60 different tracks that were at least partially finished when the first part of Chinese Democracy was released. Fans continue to struggle to find a cohesive concept album buried underneath all the years of tinkering and tumult.

"All of the material that hadn't been released was coming out in 2016, then, the reunion happened," says one source, who believes leaks over the years -- including unreleased tracks such as the Stinson penned song "Going Down," and the unheard "Atlas Shrugged" ("a song influenced by Axl's fascination with Ayn Rand," confirms Zutaut) -- are the result of a fanbase that's begun to fantasy book their preferred version through leaked Chinese Democracy demos, album art, and their take on what the most classically GN'R-sounding song was on a record that was essentially postmodern.

Maybe Axl thought he had a better shot of releasing his work with Slash back in the band, i.e. that the label would get behind him? Right now the money is too good for them to do anything but tour, but we'll just have to wait and see.