Best New Song from The Village Sessions Leaks?

Best New Song from The Village Sessions Leaks?  

337 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Instrumentals-

1. Me and My Elvis
2. Mustache
3. Zodiac 
4. Quick Song
5. Oklahoma
6. Bastard
7. D Tune
8. Curley Shuffle
9.Tonto
10. Real Doll
11. As it Began
12. Prom Violence

Unreleased Songs with Lyrics-
1. Atlas Shrugged
2. State of Grace
3. Perhaps
4. Hard School
5. Eye on You
6. Silkworms
7. Nothing

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I can't wrap my head around the fact that some people here aren't interested in hearing new music from Guns N' Roses. I get that some people don't accept this as Guns N' Roses, and might just be interested in music with Slash on it or in that old-school blues rock tradition, but still, it is not like it's an effort to quickly check out new music, or that one loses anything from it. At best you will find something you like. At worst, don't listen to it again. This is a fan forum, with assumingly fans of music in general and Guns N' Roses specifically. I do get it if it is out of respect for the band to not listen to unfinished music likely not meant for public consumption. That I do get. 

I had a slew of people in a Facebook GNR group flat out tell me they don't care about new music. And a lot of the people in there still haven't even listened to Chinese Democracy. I am a huge fan of music in general. I just can't fathom how someone who calls themselves a fan of a particular artist never took the time to play their catalog. But whatever.

• Like 1

Wow. Someone here said "Atlas" was the worst GNR song ever? No FN way, man!

Gets stuck in my head all day every time I listen to it. 

I love the part that goes, "I'll be the last to say, 'Don't follow your heart.' But there's more to what it takes to be a man." Love it!

"State of Grace" venomous coda is pure fire. Some people don't like the slow build to it, but I adore it.

The piano "riff" in "Perhaps" is tops for me though, along with the "hey, HEEEeeeeys." And Axl wailing "YOU'RE ALL ALONE NOW" in the chorus. My, oh, my.

I didn't know we can vote for more than one song here so it's too late for me. But of the ones with vocals, I would rank:

1) Perhaps

2) Atlas Shrugged

3) Hardschool

4) State of Grace

5) Eye on You

I'd have to revisit the insrumentals, but there was some gnarly stuff there for sure. Some really groovy tracks and some that sounded like CD  material on steroids.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

In order from favourite to least favourite:

1. Perhaps
2. State Of Grace
3. Hardschool
4. Atlas Shrugged (RM #1)
5. Eye On You
6. Silkworms

Nothing and Quick Song don't really count IMO, and the instrumentals were cool to hear once or twice but I haven't listened to many of them since they initially leaked.

Flip Perhaps and SOG and that would be my list. Agreed about nothing and quicksong 

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

Flip Perhaps and SOG and that would be my list. Agreed about nothing and quicksong 

State Of Grace has the most potential to be a great song, it would be really interesting to hear how it's changed over the years. But in the form we've heard the songs, Perhaps feels the most 'finished' and also has a very UYI-meets-CD vibe to it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

State Of Grace has the most potential to be a great song, it would be really interesting to hear how it's changed over the years. But in the form we've heard the songs, Perhaps feels the most 'finished' and also has a very UYI-meets-CD vibe to it.

Love the piano breakdown after the coda so much on perhaps. And the Brian May guitar work. State of Grace is a monster song. I’m so curious to know if it’s been expanded or if it’s still 4 min. 

15 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Love the piano breakdown after the coda so much on perhaps. And the Brian May guitar work. State of Grace is a monster song. I’m so curious to know if it’s been expanded or if it’s still 4 min. 

I could imagine a Buckethead outro solo on State Of Grace tbh.

The piano breakdown on Perhaps is cool. It's a shame that song didn't get released, it seems like it would've been one of the best live songs. (especially between 2006-2011)

On 2/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I like IRS slightly less but I agree Atlas is awful. I wanted to hear that song for years. I can't imagine the disappointment if that was the only thing that leaked.

Disagree on Atlas...surprisingly I like that song. I totally agree with the instrumentals though. No desire to hear anything without lyrics. 

27 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Disagree on Atlas...surprisingly I like that song. I totally agree with the instrumentals though. No desire to hear anything without lyrics. 

Plus you have to remember even if the demo versions that made the final album are similar, there is every chance that other material that was demoed was stripped apart and edited, so the leaked songs we've heard from the 1999-2001 era could be quite different now. I hope there's significant changes in all of the songs, I can't remember which song, but there was a whole instrumental section in one (possible Hardschool?) and it just goes nowhere. Things like that have no place on a finished record so hopefully Caram puts his big boy pants and says "Eh... that's not as good as you think Ax... If It was me I would press deletel"

23 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Wow. Someone here said "Atlas" was the worst GNR song ever? No FN way, man!

Gets stuck in my head all day every time I listen to it. 

I love the part that goes, "I'll be the last to say, 'Don't follow your heart.' But there's more to what it takes to be a man." Love it!

There's catchy melodies in Atlas but the layered vocals annoy the hell out of me at times. :lol:

I definitely wouldn't say it's the worst GNR song though... that honour would go to either Scraped or something from UYI 2.

I still think Brian May is the best part of Atlas though, and if nothing else, it really reinforces the belief that Axl and Brian should have made more music together.

I love how Zodiac starts with piano, then "messes up" with an effect and goes into a rocker. Would make for a decent album opener, or a single at the very least.  It's catchy like Better.

I also like some of the Buckethead instrumentals.  

Me and my Elvis is a fantastic instrumental. State of Grace needs finishing, but the ending vocal performance by Axl is amazing. Quick Song is catchy, would love to hear a finished version with the Buckethead solo included.

Nothin doesn't do nothin for me. 

Perhaps and Atlas are good songs, album worthy, probably mid album. 

I really like Eye on You, but would be difficult to say how it would fit in with any album.

Hardschool is my fav. Would be a decent album opener as well with the long intro.

Silkworms needs more work, even the newer mix with Bumble's playing (which sounds better) needs work. 

I'm really hoping they keep Bucket's parts intact for an eventual release, especially his subtle guitar work in Me and my Elvis.  I have some hopes of this as he was all over Chinese, which was released years after his departure from the band.

The Brain - Bucket - Tommy - Axl lineup not putting out at least a few albums is a missed opportunity of the century in my opinion, along with Disney's poor handling of the Star Wars sequel trilogy. 

• Like 2

Love Atlas, definitely the jewel in the crown of the locker leaks in my opinion.

Some thoughts, Don't know why Tonto, Moustache, real. Com, and prom v, aren't popular as I thought they would be. Secondly, looking back over my playlist history, the song I have listened to the most from the leaks is PRL lol. 

Edited by jimisbatman

Just Heard Hard School for the second time 

Definitely  a Chinese song 

not bad - It’s a demo so the mix is pretty damn bad - I  make out some of the lyrics 

Seems to me like a paste and copy pro tools mix 

Axl 🤘🤘🤘- 

Who ever is on Guitar - Not Bad 

The first of the song guitar sounds like a octave pedal - Maybe a Ibanez Guitar - Melodic 

The last part of the song where the  scales come in sounds like Bumblefoot  

Just a demo - Nothing special - If mixed right has potential for sure 

Edited by TMAC20