it's unbelievable how Axl is throwing away his career like this

action

From 1993 to 2020, that's 23 years by the way, he released one album of new music. 

He's been doing chinese democracy world tours from 2001 to this day, playing the exact same setlists, with small exceptions here and there. Not even Elvis, with the demanding touring schedule that he had in the 70's and the heavy routine it brought, gave such boring copy pasted concerts. Even in Elvis' worst years, he still brought new songs to his concerts and at least tried.

Axl Rose has done absolutely nothing to grow artistically in these past 23 years except for one album with a lukewarm reception. How did Axl evolve as a singer the past 20 years? He's just gotten worse and worse, not doing anything to shape up or do something interesting. Axl truly is the most lazy artist I have ever witnessed.

• Like 3

thrown more like.  no one gives a shit about artistry brother, its all about fuckin' money and he's making plenty of that recently.  all artistry is gonna do for him at this juncture is taint his recorded legacy, why bother with that when he's getting plenty just riding off what he's done.  fair play to him i suppose, if people wanna see it, he's put the work in to make what he made, good luck to him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

thrown more like.  no one gives a shit about artistry brother, its all about fuckin' money and he's making plenty of that recently.  all artistry is gonna do for him at this juncture is taint his recorded legacy, why bother with that when he's getting plenty just riding off what he's done.  fair play to him i suppose, if people wanna see it, he's put the work in to make what he made, good luck to him.

I just can not wrap my head around how someone with such a god given voice, does not feel the need to do something with that. Not even a covers album. If he doesnt have inspiration for new songs, why not do covers? there is no shame. The best ones made a career out of covers: the beatles, the stones, elvis... But do something interesting. What has he done in all those years? god for the most of these he was still in his prime: what on earth could drive him into lethargy like he did?

It's like, you're messi or something and one day you say: nah, I don't like football. I'll just stay at home with a couple of brazilians, and I'm going to do fuck all, and I'm going to do that everyday. Axl appears utterly dead to me. Who knows, he could be the funny guy at home and be a very loving person, but if you're an artist you're a public figure. That's just how being an artist works: people want to hear more of you, because you chose to enter that stage to begin with, but then you basically say fuck that, I'm changing my mind I don't like singing. It's like a joke without a punchline.

Edited by action

Also, I don't understand Axl's obsession with "creating" music. If you have a voice like that, you don't "need" to create: you can move people just by singing songs.

Someone should tell Axl he has an awesome voice, and no one is really expecting him to make "the best rock album ever". He can't make the best rock album ever. The best rock album ever, would be something that's already out there; you can take your pick. What he can do, is just use his goddamn voice but change his tune from time to time. Change of menu creates appetite they say (pun intended).

32 minutes ago, action said:

I just can not wrap my head around how someone with such a god given voice, does not feel the need to do something with that. Not even a covers album. If he doesnt have inspiration for new songs, why not do covers? there is no shame. The best ones made a career out of covers: the beatles, the stones, elvis... But do something interesting. What has he done in all those years? god for the most of these he was still in his prime: what on earth could drive him into lethargy like he did?

It's like, you're messi or something and one day you say: nah, I don't like football. I'll just stay at home with a couple of brazilians, and I'm going to do fuck all, and I'm going to do that everyday. Axl appears utterly dead to me. Who knows, he could be the funny guy at home and be a very loving person, but if you're an artist you're a public figure. That's just how being an artist works: people want to hear more of you, because you chose to enter that stage to begin with, but then you basically say fuck that, I'm changing my mind I don't like singing. It's like a joke without a punchline.

See me and you think like that cuz we (being presumptuous here but I'm assuming you're just a normal bloke like me) ain't got no fuckin' prodigious talent.  When you're just born able to do some shit or it comes to you relatively easy you probably don't put a lot of worth on it.  And its easy y'know to like...not enjoy something you're good at, Marlon Brando didn't much enjoy acting and really didn't make that many movies over his career.  Georgie Best, clearly didn't value his footballing abilities that much as evidenced by the fact that he sort of spunked them away. 

Perhaps its not so much that they underrate them but we overrate them.  There are more than a few people out there who can sing as good as Axl, youtube is full of amazing singers.

Edited by Len Cnut

I think the post that @Jordan Rose did in the NA 2020 thread that i responded to hit the nail on the head. I would like to hand deliver a 2019 tour video and go back in time to either 02 or 06 axl and show him what he will as a person and as the band leader see what gnr represents in the future.

Touring on old songs

No new music

Looking and sounding bad.

Playing with 3/5 of either the afd and or illusions lineup.

Im sure 02 or 06  axl would be livid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

See me and you think like that cuz we (being presumptuous here but I'm assuming you're just a normal bloke like me) ain't got no fuckin' prodigious talent.  When you're just born able to do some shit or it comes to you relatively easy you probably don't put a lot of worth on it.  And its easy y'know to like...not enjoy something you're good at, Marlon Brando didn't much enjoy acting and really didn't make that many movies over his career.  Georgie Best, clearly didn't value his footballing abilities that much as evidenced by the fact that he sort of spunked them away. 

Perhaps its not so much that they underrate them but we overrate them.  There are more than a few people out there who can sing as good as Axl, youtube is full of amazing singers.

Fair enough.

not putting your talent to good use, is just no good. What else is life worth then? Might as well lay on your bed waiting to die. It will backfire sooner or later. I know it's kind of an unsexy thing to reference, but the bible says somewhere "those who have 5 talents, and bring me back 1000 will be rewarded. Those who have 5 and bring me back 3: I'll take those three talents from them, and I'll even take more from them" or something to that effect. What I take from that is as follows. See, Axl is this sad figure these days, probably lamenting all that went wrong in his life, but he should have fought against all that and use his talent (he got his voice for free with birth, without any effort) to make things better. People like Axl deserve no sympathy: their misfortune is of their own making. It's the same with everyone else. Everyone is born with one talent or other. Only people who are born disabled can do nothing about it. But if you're born healthy and are able to work: there is always a way. We all go through our tribulations, no one gets things for free in this world. If your position is difficult, well you can at least do one small thing right now and here to make your situation better. when everyone was partying I was studying and I had all circumstances working against me. In this world, in this life, nothing is free.

1 hour ago, action said:

From 1993 to 2020, that's 23 years by the way, he released one album of new music. 

He's been doing chinese democracy world tours from 2001 to this day, playing the exact same setlists, with small exceptions here and there. Not even Elvis, with the demanding touring schedule that he had in the 70's and the heavy routine it brought, gave such boring copy pasted concerts. Even in Elvis' worst years, he still brought new songs to his concerts and at least tried.

Axl Rose has done absolutely nothing to grow artistically in these past 23 years except for one album with a lukewarm reception. How did Axl evolve as a singer the past 20 years? He's just gotten worse and worse, not doing anything to shape up or do something interesting. Axl truly is the most lazy artist I have ever witnessed.

NITL should have finished end of 2017 and new album be released in 2018 with a constantly rotating setlist just like they did on the illusions Tour. I really dont know who is making the decisions......

Its showing that the vision axl had as  an artist during the early cd years is now nonexistant.

9 minutes ago, action said:

Fair enough.

not putting your talent to good use, is just no good. What else is life worth then? Might as well lay on your bed waiting to die. It will backfire sooner or later. I know it's kind of an unsexy thing to reference, but the bible says somewhere "those who have 5 talents, and bring me back 1000 will be rewarded. Those who have 5 and bring me back 3: I'll take those three talents from them, and I'll even take more from them" or something to that effect. What I take from that is as follows. See, Axl is this sad figure these days, probably lamenting all that went wrong in his life, but he should have fought against all that and use his talent (he got his voice for free with birth, without any effort) to make things better. People like Axl deserve no sympathy: their misfortune is of their own making. It's the same with everyone else. Everyone is born with one talent or other. Only people who are born disabled can do nothing about it. But if you're born healthy and are able to work: there is always a way. We all go through our tribulations, no one gets things for free in this world. If your position is difficult, well you can at least do one small thing right now and here to make your situation better. when everyone was partying I was studying and I had all circumstances working against me. In this world, in this life, nothing is free.

Well...if you don't enjoy it and you've got plenty of money to just travel, hang with friends, enjoy your life why not?  I mean there's no sense driving yourself crazy just for the sake of entertaining other people.  This rockstar shit is a hard grind, I have a lot of respect for bands like The Stones who spent there primes playing their nuts off, there's a reason why these guys do so much fuckin' drugs, I mean your average gig-goer, if they go to a gig, enjoy themselves, get well pissed, get home by about 1am, the next day they tend to be fucked...well these guys have got to do that shit day in and day out on a proper tour.  Plus all the travel, if its gonna drive you up the fuckin' wall well fuck it, stay at home, not everybody is cut out for that shit and as much as I like music all I want for any human being is that they enjoy their life.  Its a shame but it is what it, touring in that never ending James Brown sense is a fuckin' hard hustle.

Axls only a sad figure to people who buy into this shit of like...oh its so tragic that he hasn't made 'x' albums, I'm sure he don't consider himself a sad figure, he's just a bloke, a bloke who sang and made a lot of money from it.  Whoose the sad figure here, me who works 50 something hours a week every week with only national holidays off or Axl Rose the rich rock star living in Malibu, I'd trade his 'tragic' life for mine right this second :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well...if you don't enjoy it and you've got plenty of money to just travel, hang with friends, enjoy your life why not?  I mean there's no sense driving yourself crazy just for the sake of entertaining other people.  This rockstar shit is a hard grind, I have a lot of respect for bands like The Stones who spent there primes playing their nuts off, there's a reason why these guys do so much fuckin' drugs, I mean your average gig-goer, if they go to a gig, enjoy themselves, get well pissed, get home by about 1am, the next day they tend to be fucked...well these guys have got to do that shit day in and day out on a proper tour.  Plus all the travel, if its gonna drive you up the fuckin' wall well fuck it, stay at home, not everybody is cut out for that shit and as much as I like music all I want for any human being is that they enjoy their life.  Its a shame but it is what it, touring in that never ending James Brown sense is a fuckin' hard hustle.

of course! whatever makes you happy, you should pursue. You won't hear me say here, that drinking or doing drugs is wrong. In life, you'll find, very few things can easily be called wrong or right. If alcohol cures your depression, who am I to say it's wrong? Even water is deadly if you drink too much. The effect it has on your life, will determine if it is wrong or not. It's the same with anything: playing video games is great as long as your family doesn't suffer etc.

with that said, is Axl happy? was chris cornell happy? scott weiland? michael hutchence? kurt cobain? elvis? Posing the question, is answering them. How many of them were on drugs? Was it the drugs that made them unhappy? or did they do drugs because they were unhappy? I don't know, I'm just connecting the dots. From where I'm standing, all these people threw their lives away. I don't really care about that though, it's just a shame for the great music that's probably lost with these people. So in the end, no one is happy.

Edited by action

13 minutes ago, action said:

of course! whatever makes you happy, you should pursue. You won't hear me say here, that drinking or doing drugs is wrong. In life, you'll find, very few things can easily be called wrong or right. If alcohol cures your depression, who am I to say it's wrong? Even water is deadly if you drink too much. The effect it has on your life, will determine if it is wrong or not. It's the same with anything: playing video games is great as long as your family doesn't suffer etc.

with that said, is Axl happy? was chris cornell happy? scott weiland? michael hutchence? kurt cobain? elvis? Posing the question, is answering them. How many of them were on drugs? Was it the drugs that made them unhappy? or did they do drugs because they were unhappy? I don't know, I'm just connecting the dots. From where I'm standing, all these people threw their lives away. I don't really care about that though, it's just a shame for the great music that's probably lost with these people. So in the end, no one is happy.

I'm not sure Axl fits the depressed and suicidal category fella though who knows. 

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm not sure Axl fits the depressed and suicidal category fella though who knows. 

apart probably from cobain, neither were the other ones I mentioned.

Axl doesn't look too happy to me, and I'm not getting happy seeing him perform, myself. With Axl, there is a lot of potential that for some reason doesn't really come through anymore. why that is, is anyone's guess.

Well, we talk about Axl's God-given talent, but it seems in short supply these days. He really only possessed that in a reliable form from about 86-89. He was inconsistent, but still badass 91-94. From then on, whatever talent he had as a vocalist has pretty much up and left him. Odd performances from 01-10 showed signs that the magic was still there, but the last decade? There is no way you could call Axl Rose even a good singer from 11-20, let alone possessing a God-given gift.

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, we talk about Axl's God-given talent, but it seems in short supply these days. He really only possessed that in a reliable form from about 86-89. He was inconsistent, but still badass 91-94. From then on, whatever talent he had as a vocalist has pretty much up and left him. Odd performances from 01-10 showed signs that the magic was still there, but the last decade? There is no way you could call Axl Rose even a good singer from 11-20, let alone possessing a God-given gift.

I agree that his voice has changed, but that's why he should have "evolved" as a singer and find ways to make good use of his changing voice. I'm sure he can sing great still, if he wanted to. If he tried other styles / songs, whatever. He only sings old songs, that don't suit his voice anymore.

if I had his voice, in the state that it is today, I'd look at recording an album of old blues classics or something. In a totally different style. Something interesting. He should become a solo artist, hire some stage musicians and do something exciting. He would be my favorite singer performing today, but as it stands he bores me to death. and I think he is bored too. how on earth could he not?

11 minutes ago, action said:

I agree that his voice has changed, but that's why he should have "evolved" as a singer and find ways to make good use of his changing voice. I'm sure he can sing great still, if he wanted to. If he tried other styles / songs, whatever. He only sings old songs, that don't suit his voice anymore.

if I had his voice, in the state that it is today, I'd look at recording an album of old blues classics or something. In a totally different style. Something interesting. He should become a solo artist, hire some stage musicians and do something exciting. He would be my favorite singer performing today, but as it stands he bores me to death. and I think he is bored too. how on earth could he not?

He's obviously doped up to the eyeballs on antidepressants. There is no fire in his eyes, none of that spark that made Axl Axl and he's been this way for the best part of a decade now. There's too many people making too much money around him and it's in all of their interests that drugged-up Axl stays amenable and the old Axl stays buried away.

Edited by Towelie

45 minutes ago, Towelie said:

He's obviously doped up to the eyeballs on antidepressants. There is no fire in his eyes, none of that spark that made Axl Axl and he's been this way for the best part of a decade now. There's too many people making too much money around him and it's in all of their interests that drugged-up Axl stays amenable and the old Axl stays buried away.

That's my feeling too. Sometime between December 2010-October 2011 this shit started. Perhaps after 2010, with the Twitter cancellation, Reading Festival and Dublin disaster they decided he was putting the whole thing in danger with his behavior.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

That's my feeling too. Sometime between December 2010-October 2011 this shit started. Perhaps after 2010, with the Twitter cancellation, Reading Festival and Dublin disaster they decided he was putting the whole thing in danger with his behavior.

Didn't Axl also call the year following the release of CD the "worst year of my life" or something along those lines? My guess is, he's been pretty heavily sedated since at least 2011. 

13 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Didn't Axl also call the year following the release of CD the "worst year of my life" or something along those lines? My guess is, he's been pretty heavily sedated since at least 2011. 

Yeah. There were also reports around June 2009 that Axl refused to leave his house and had fired and rehired Azoff three times in a month.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose-s-mood-swings/

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

Something changed with Axl between 2010 and 11 and the band was never the same. It was the year in which Axl stopped giving a shit, and suddenly gave up on his dreams and started nostalgia touring. There have been some good moments for Axl between ‘11-‘17 but that’s about it. I do think that’s when he started antidepressants, after 2010 that is, which explains weight gain and potentially a lack of motivation to do anything.

38 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Something changed with Axl between 2010 and 11 and the band was never the same. It was the year in which Axl stopped giving a shit, and suddenly gave up on his dreams and started nostalgia touring. There have been some good moments for Axl between ‘11-‘17 but that’s about it. I do think that’s when he started antidepressants, after 2010 that is, which explains weight gain and potentially a lack of motivation to do anything.

yeah I'm definately of the same impression. if it's true, that's 10 years of heavy drug / medication abuse. there doesn't seem to be much room left in the future for going the same route. 

23 minutes ago, action said:

yeah I'm definately of the same impression. if it's true, that's 10 years of heavy drug / medication abuse. there doesn't seem to be much room left in the future for going the same route. 

Most likely not, especially if he has formed a dependency for it as he’s gotten older. This is going to be Axl for the rest of the time we see him in the public eye.

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I reckon it was when BH suggested to add estranged to the setlist. Playing the old songs started to conjure up thoughts of maybe what would happen if he called slash. Then duff " by chance" stays at the same hotel as the band.The rest is history.

i had a dream well, i've had various gnr inspired dreams 

this one stuck out though

the current band played their set to a very lukewarm response 

the band were all scared awaiting the wrath of axl that was on the prowl and tastin blood, he arrived on the scene quiet and steaming someone had to take the blame 

out of everyone he singled out slash and became aggressive to the point of where he pushed him 

slash unsure how to take it and being hiis non-confrontational style denied any wrong doing in his performance to which it made Axl explode more 

the others all remained quiet and nobdody stuck up for slash as he then began to rip into everyone

THIS TYPE OF THING WILL HAPPEN SOONER THAN LATER AND WILL CAUSE GNR TO DIE FOR GOOD 

the funny part about the dream is that i was part of Axl's entourage or one of his friends that was immune to his wrath, even i was scared to say a word, the guy's vibe and anger is deep and at a whole other level 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr